Corruptor Zero Fully Powered Blast

So I was tanking 8M HM DF last night (we progressed past Draxus the previous night and wanted to keep clearing bosses), and while Grobthok was a joke, we started banging our head against Corruptor Zero. We didn't get him down that night, but we're still working on strategy, and had only done it once, maybe twice on SM before going into HM, so our tactics were likely bad. I realize that Heavy Slash's DoT ticked on me through it's full duration most of the time, and I know there are some other rather dumb things that were done, but that's not the point of this, though suggestions would be appreciated

The purpose of this post, though, is to try to clarify my confusion on something. In the other times we fought him, whenever I got hit by Fully Powered Blast, it hit me for some decent damage, but nothing that couldn't be healed through. The last hit in this fight in the linked log shows that it hit me for 44762 damage, which would have killed me from full health. I suspect it only hit so hard because of the stacking debuff I had at the time, but how could we avoid having this happen in the future? This particular attempt was going fairly well until I got caught in an Anti-Gravity field and then got wrecked by that one hit.

EDIT: Here's the log

http://www.torparse.com/a/466030/26/0/Damage+Taken

Edited by Aelanis

I and my guildees are trying to kill this guy, very hard atm.

I'm healing and could notice that the tank takes more damage if he has some dot on him, from the laser or the other one, I cleanse ASAP and I can heal through the "normal" damage. He does some 20k+ hits constantly.

Watching Dulfy's video, there's no 20k+ hit on the tank like I'm seeing on my raid.

And what I didn't like this fight is "bring 3 snipers you'll be ok". :D

Yeah, I noticed a few points in the fight where I'd get hit for 9.8k twice in one second by his Sweeping Slash move, which wrecked me pretty hard. The healers certainly weren't happy with that part, hehe.

EDIT: What guild are you doing this on The Shadowlands?

Edited by Aelanis

The punishment for mistakes in the Corruptor Zero fight at the current 72 gear level is basically a wipe. This fight is highly unforgiving.

One specific tanking mechanic that must be executed perfectly each time is that the tanks cannot be caught in the Anti-Gravity Field. Each tanking class has their escape mechanism; Assassins speed away, Juggernauts can leap to a friend or enemy in range, and Powertechs have Hydraulic Overrides and can also Jet Charge to an enemy in range.

It is possible for a tank to survive being caught in the Anti-Gravity Field, but only with the quick assistance of the rest of the team. 1) The healers need to basically anticipate you being caught in one and have solid HoTs rolling on you and almost be pre-casting a big heal on the tank affected. 2) The free tank must attempt to taunt the boss off the tank that is caught in the Field, though we've haven't discovered a consistent way to taunt the boss off the tank that is caught. There's a bit of luck involved.

The tank that is caught in the Field will take anywhere from 10K-40K+ damage depending on a variety of factors including the number of debuff stacks they are carrying, how many hits the boss gets in before loosing interest, and what defensives are up.

I'm not familiar with the Republic side or Shadow tanking at all, but your combat log shows you loosing the following effects between the time you're caught in the Field and when the blast hits you: Focused Defense, Impact Control, Battle Readiness, Harnessed Shadows, Guard, Kinetic Bulwark, and Force Synergy. My guess is that you're super-vulnerable at that point.

Below is a video of my first Corruptor Zero kill with The Drunk Tanks team I run my Operative healer, Ivs, with on The Shadowlands. It's from the Assassin tank's perspective, Dough. You can see the tanks kiting the boss around to help them stay a couple steps ahead of any Anti-Gravity Field being cast. The Powertech tank, Mandalo, gets caught in the Field once and you can hear me saying I've got the heals ready for him to survive and the Assassin tank also successfully taunts the boss off him. As well, you can see the Sorcerer healer pull the stunned Powertech away from the boss, so it took a full team approach to save him that easily. Finally I was also trying to use my intuition during the fight to anticipate when the Field was going to be cast. You can hear me say "Ok, get ready for Anti-Gravity. I can feel it coming," and it is cast a second later.

TLDR: Tanks must not be caught in the Anti-Gravity Field.

Your tanks are probably not swapping fast enough. Anything above four stacks is MURDER. We generally swap on the first add pack, then at 3-4 stacks, then on the next add pack, and so on. Keeps the tanks at or below 3 stacks at all times. Make sure that only one tank is standing in front at a time, since the stacks are refreshed by the cleave.

Healing this is definitely challenging. It is very important to CC the D-15 add in each spawn, then kill the healers, AoE the little guys, and finally kill the D-15. Having a Cunning class or a Sentinel/Marauder is really good for that, since their droid CC has no cooldown. Here's a video from a very-laggy commando healer's perspective. There were a few 20k+ hits on the tanks, but not many and we were mostly able to keep ahead of it.

Note that we did actually have people getting caught in the field a few times. It was bad, but it's not really a wipe-inducing effect as long as your healers are on top of things. Edited by KeyboardNinja

Those are everything I had going all at once. Oddly enough, the game removes all buffs from you in your log before you die. But from what you said, it sounds like the boss just murders any tank caught in the anti-gravity field before he drops aggro. Looks like I'll need some practice getting away. I wonder, though: does resilience/shroud work on it?

Above poster is right. You must avoid the anti-gravity field and do your tank swaps at the right time. Blow your CDs at the right time as well. I believe resilience will negate a great deal of his ranged damage and you deflection should help with the heavy slash.

Not sure what healers you run with but you can have your sage bubbling you and pulling you out of the gravity field if you have one.

The fight is easily doable with no ranged on HM, but the tanking has to be done properly as do the mines. Fix the anti-gravity field and the swaps and you'll get it.

With regards to KBN, we decided, my co-tank and I, to try to swap faster for our next set of attempts, that anything over 4 stacks was obliterating us if we didn't have a cooldown going. Thanks for the tip on the elite among the adds, that will definitely make things easier for us, as our Sentinel can deal with that each time. We were also trying to have 2 DPS split off and deal with adds, but we're probably going to switch to all DPS on adds every time.

I just ran this last night and anytime I was caught in the gravity field, he just aggro dropped and I taunted him back when I was able to do so. I was only hit by him once in the 5-6 times it happened that night. The part my team is getting stuck on is the unified laser. The cast is so quick and it's hard to tell where he's going to drop the first time.

Was this bugged on the first week?

I remember that when it came out me and my co-tank (both assassins) did this on 8 HM and didn't avoid any of the gravity fields because, frankly, we were lazy and it did very little damage. Now on the 2nd and 3rd weeks they do seemingly more damage.

1. Swap at 4 stacks each time. This should coincide with a droid spawn.

2. Cleanse the DoT

3. Phases (Melee or Ranged) last 1 minute.

4. 15s into each phase (save the final one where he jumps in the air) adds spawn. Adds are opposite of the phase he is currently in. Ranged adds on Melee mode, and melee adds on ranged mode.

5. Antigravity is cast upon switching to Ranged mode, and then ~30-35s after depending on how he's cycled his abilities. It's 100% predictable and on a timer.

6. When he leaps up, everyone commit to one side with one person dedicated to calling "Move."

7. Said person should zoom their minimap out so you can see the entirety of the room. Corruptors dot shows where he is going to land.

8. Profit.

First of all: LOL at needing to have 3 snipers to beat this fight ... we run it with two sentinels, commando and a sniper and we did it once adjusting tactics.

This fight is very challenging for average team (like ours :) )

In order to beat this guy you should not follow Dulffy tactic as its good but it might not be best one for average team. They have very well geared tanks and healers and thous making this fight easier done their way. Don't get me wrong, I read their guides before every fight but i adjust if its not working for our group.

What we done to beat this fight:

a) stack at the boss at all times. Concussion Mine is a raid killer. On third stack it ticks for 8k and on fourth 11k. If you run to boss with 3 stacks already, your 4th stack will hit tank for around 8k (if not more) damage. Add this up to insane damage that goes up from this boss and there you go, its a wipe

b) if you have commando DPS or any other DPS class that can cleanse other toons, get them to remove Laser DoT of the tank (rather then your healers do it). We have our commando DPS do it. This leaves healers to quickly top up tank after damage spike. He will loose DPS but this will keep tanks alive. Easy choice for me :)

c) tank boss in the middle. His swipe was hitting our tanks for 2x11-13k in a second due to tanking by the wall. We were getting spikes of damage in region of 30k in 3 seconds. Once we started tank him in the middle, first swipe would push tank out and would delay another swipe hit for 2-3 seconds which allow two heals to hit a tank before second swipe lands.

d) during "range adds" phase get one of your DPS push one of the front adds in one spot so you can AoE stun, AoE lower their accuracy, and then use AoE to nuke them (you can see how i do it in video linked below. Sure i loose DPS but i don't care, at least we can down the boss). If you have Gunslinger, get him to drop his shield in the middle durring this phase of adds as they can wreck your healers if not stunned/tanked). I push one guy to others, then use my 8 seconds CC on two/one of them. Then nuke healer add (we split dps so two guys kill one and other two kill other healing droid). Once healing adds are down off-tank should have enough time to pick up all four adds so they not agro healers. Just AoE them down and back stacking on the boss.

e) run away from Anti-Gravity field, then stack back on the boss for Concussion Mine. If you are a tank don't run thru the boss, you have much too long path to travel. Just run away from boss and you will be fine. This is why tanking by the wall makes it difficult as well. If you try to run away from his stun, most of the time people try to run thru him.

Position your raid like this:

BOSSxTANKxRAID (you can see this on video below)

This makes your raid group have much less running to do when getting away from Anti-Gravity field.

Once you past forth wave of adds, move boss by the wall, nuke him below 25% so he will take off. After 4th wave you should have boss at around 40%. If you don't then you probably spending too much time clearing adds.

Please see video below of our fist kill (notice as one of our tanks gets hit so hard that he stayed with 2 health at one point !!!!!!!)

Edited by Macio

In my experience tank swapping is the most important part. We swap when needed regardless of adds.Nothing bad happens if adds and boss are on tank without stacks so sometimes I might AOE taunt the boss of the other tank while picking up the adds. Also resilience/saber reflect are very important tools for this fight. If you have lots of DPS with good AOE it's nice to have one designated DPS that is better single-target stay on boss at all times to make it last shorter.

tank swapping is very important. I have not mentioned it but i thought that it would be oblivious.

One of our tanks died due to having 7 stacks while adds were up.

Off tank should grab adds then go back on the boss to prevent stacks to build up too much, but we all know who progress fights are chaotic :)

Edited by Macio

In my experience tank swapping is the most important part. We swap when needed regardless of adds.Nothing bad happens if adds and boss are on tank without stacks so sometimes I might AOE taunt the boss of the other tank while picking up the adds. Also resilience/saber reflect are very important tools for this fight. If you have lots of DPS with good AOE it's nice to have one designated DPS that is better single-target stay on boss at all times to make it last shorter.

At what point(s) during the fight are you popping your Reflect and Resil? Any key casts that you save them for?

At what point(s) during the fight are you popping your Reflect and Resil? Any key casts that you save them for?

Heavy Slash consistently hits tanks hard and has a cast bar that you can react to. I would suggest popping a defensive CD for that attack when you can. The Assassin Tank I run with popped Force Shroud for it and resisted the attack I believe. You can watch a video of that run in Post #4 above.

Tanks should be swapping as soon as their debuff stacks drop off to ease the healing burden. This will result in consistently swapping at three stacks, with a few instances of hitting four stacks for a brief moment before the other tank taunts the boss, depending on general craziness in the fight.

Thanks for all the tips everyone, we'll be trying again tonight, assuming we can get past Draxus in a reasonable amount of time. Also, for the record: Resilience works against both Heavy Slash and Chest Laser, so having two shadow tanks here means those attacks aren't quite as worrisome. The double Sweeping Slash hurt a lot more, especially when we failed to shield either of them.

The double Sweeping Slash hurt a lot more, especially when we failed to shield either of them.

just face tank away from wall and you will only get hit once with Sweeping Slash then when he gets to you after you are pushed away he will hit once again. This gives your healers time to top you off after initial hits.

Before we started to let boss push our tanks away, we were getting spikes of 30k damage within 2-3 seconds, now it is much more manageable.

Update from last night:

Using the given tips, we did much better, but we unfortunately ran out of time before we got to a solid, working strategy. We managed to bug Grobthok out a bit, in that it seemed that having him underneath the magnet as he started to cast pipe smash would break his cast, and after the magnet broke, he would immediately cast pipe smash again. This caused us to take a little more time than we wanted to getting past him, despite one offing each of the two prior bosses.

In all, though, when not beset by what seemed to be bugginess on Corruptor, we managed to get him to the Unified Beam phase, in which we lost sight of him, and he wiped half the raid with the first blast, which was our last attempt.

This leaves me with a few questions:

1) Has anyone had trouble with Anti-gravity field where if you got out of the circle with less than, say, 0.5 seconds remaining on the cast, it rubber banded you back into the circle when he finishes the cast? It happened to quite a few people in the raid over our various attempts, though it was only fatal ~50% of the time.

2) When we got to the Unified Beam phase, a bunch of adds spawned immediately before he jumped, in the area where he landed, is there any way to avoid getting the adds to spawn then, so we can properly find him on the mini map? When he hit 40%, we initiated a hard burn, and tried to race him into that phase before another set of adds spawned, was that a bad idea?

Unfortunately, it seems as though we may not get to make more attempts at him this week, due to conflicting schedules on the team, but we can feel that we're getting close.

P.S. To those who suggested tank swapping as soon as the stacks fell off, that made us take a much more manageable amount of damage, and a tank died to too much damage only once, when the healers couldn't reach him after he got knocked away, thanks for the suggestion!

1) yes and this happens even if you run away further then 0.5 cast. When we were progressing this boss i was getting really frustrated with this mechanic that seem to be broken. Look at the short video below and you will notice our sentinel getting pushed back into stun even though he was past sage healer that didn't get stuck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegGj80ETGc

2) Don't stand on the corner. Move inside one of the wall so you are already safe of have to move to other side. As soon as you see IMMUNE message to your damaging skills (if you do DPS) then look at mini map. RED DOT indicates where he will land few seconds before. Look at our kill video from around 5:15 and you will see I got all people to stand next to me (i marked myself) then i soon as i saw red dot in the same line as we were I told people to move to other side.

1) I was able to get out of the Anti-Gravity field most of the time, but I lost the aggro anyway even when I cleared the void in time. You could have your offtank taunt the boss when he does the Anti-Gravity Field, then your main tank does not have to worry about getting out of the field in time.

2) You will always have an add wave spawn when he does the Unified Beam phase, it would be too easy otherwise. :cool:

Just have your tanks do a mass taunt, pop cds and put orbitals on the ground. The adds are melees in that phase, so they should automatically run toward you. But if you don't have the damage, just ignore the adds until after the beam, since avoiding the beam is first priority.

Sometimes, you're just out of luck with the timing when an add wave spawns right before the Unified Beam, and then another add wave as part of the Beam. Then, you can pretty much wipe the raid since two add groups are too much to handle. I do not think that you can control when he starts the beam.

But if you already got to the beam, you are pretty much done. After the beam, you no longer have to deal with the adds; you can just stack up on the boss and have your tanks swap ever so often.

Edited by Jerba

We managed to bug Grobthok out a bit, in that it seemed that having him underneath the magnet as he started to cast pipe smash would break his cast, and after the magnet broke, he would immediately cast pipe smash again. This caused us to take a little more time than we wanted to getting past him, despite one offing each of the two prior bosses.

Not a bug. Pipe smash does not go on cooldown if interrupted. Wait for him to actually get his pipe out before stunning him with the magnet. He'll pull the pipe out at 80-60-40-20 unless your DPS is behind. At which point it becomes a timed event.

Point: Let him get the pipe out then stun him, not before.

1) Has anyone had trouble with Anti-gravity field where if you got out of the circle with less than, say, 0.5 seconds remaining on the cast, it rubber banded you back into the circle when he finishes the cast? It happened to quite a few people in the raid over our various attempts, though it was only fatal ~50% of the time.

Server lag is strange as far as movement goes. To force the server to update your position in time jump out of the circle if you are clearing but the server disagrees.

2) When we got to the Unified Beam phase, a bunch of adds spawned immediately before he jumped, in the area where he landed, is there any way to avoid getting the adds to spawn then, so we can properly find him on the mini map? When he hit 40%, we initiated a hard burn, and tried to race him into that phase before another set of adds spawned, was that a bad idea?

That set of adds is the only set that does not follow the timer I outlined earlier. They will either spawn way late if your DPS is terrible, or spawn upon the boss jumping up to do his beams. You can not avoid these adds.

As far as finding him on your minimap, all the adds are melee, they run towards you, they also spawn in the middle of the room. Have your minimap zoomed out so you can see the entire room on your minimap. Zero lands in the end of the hallway, he's easily identified as he is the only dot that does this. And as i said earlier, commit to a hallway when he jumps up. The only thing your raid should be listening for when they burn the adds is a single word of "Move", or "Stay". No babble, no guessing.

Not a bug. Pipe smash does not go on cooldown if interrupted. Wait for him to actually get his pipe out before stunning him with the magnet. He'll pull the pipe out at 80-60-40-20 unless your DPS is behind. At which point it becomes a timed event.

Point: Let him get the pipe out then stun him, not before.

Maybe 'bug' was the wrong word to use, but we determined we needed to be more careful with him there. Clipping his cast caused us to take a ton more damage than we should have, and slowed our dps a lot.

Server lag is strange as far as movement goes. To force the server to update your position in time jump out of the circle if you are clearing but the server disagrees.

That's actually really neat, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip.

That set of adds is the only set that does not follow the timer I outlined earlier. They will either spawn way late if your DPS is terrible, or spawn upon the boss jumping up to do his beams. You can not avoid these adds.

As far as finding him on your minimap, all the adds are melee, they run towards you, they also spawn in the middle of the room. Have your minimap zoomed out so you can see the entire room on your minimap. Zero lands in the end of the hallway, he's easily identified as he is the only dot that does this. And as i said earlier, commit to a hallway when he jumps up. The only thing your raid should be listening for when they burn the adds is a single word of "Move", or "Stay". No babble, no guessing.

Looks like we'll have to give that a try. We honestly didn't have a solid strategy for the laser part, as we only got to it once because we only really raid for 2 hours at a time. Thanks for all the tips and help!

• 2 months later...
Update from last night:

Using the given tips, we did much better, but we unfortunately ran out of time before we got to a solid, working strategy. We managed to bug Grobthok out a bit, in that it seemed that having him underneath the magnet as he started to cast pipe smash would break his cast, and after the magnet broke, he would immediately cast pipe smash again. This caused us to take a little more time than we wanted to getting past him, despite one offing each of the two prior bosses.

In all, though, when not beset by what seemed to be bugginess on Corruptor, we managed to get him to the Unified Beam phase, in which we lost sight of him, and he wiped half the raid with the first blast, which was our last attempt.

This leaves me with a few questions:

Unfortunately, it seems as though we may not get to make more attempts at him this week, due to conflicting schedules on the team, but we can feel that we're getting close.

P.S. To those who suggested tank swapping as soon as the stacks fell off, that made us take a much more manageable amount of damage, and a tank died to too much damage only once, when the healers couldn't reach him after he got knocked away, thanks for the suggestion!

0. Yes, I've seen that "bug" too. I don't know if it's a bug, but basically don't tank him right under the magnet. Wait til he gets his pipe, then get to the magnet quick. I try to tank him in the middle of the room, close to the magnet as it moves around.

1. Ya... we have seen that too with anti-gravity, where you should jump as you are leaving the red circle. This has helped us... I'm not sure if the technology works so that jumping updates the server on where you are, or something, but we find that it really helps.

2. I thought he lifts up for Unified Beam at 25%... which means you have to make sure all major adds are dead before that.