shadow/sin tank what can I cheese?

throwdownj

Did a few searches and cant seem to find much but everyone keeps saying all the different things you can cheese with them. I know of the xeno fight and TWH skipping the red circle adds. What else can you cheese? Please be specific. Thanks so much and if this is done somewhere else so very sorry for double post but I couldnt find it.

I think he means the use of Force Cloak on The Writing Horror fight to "cheese the adds away" :).

For the topic: other abilities you can cheese away as a Sin Tank (with Force Shroud):

Huge Grenade from Titan 6, The End from Sunder, Thundering Blast from Styrak (SV HM),Force Scream/Discharge/Force Leech from Dread Guards. Fury of the Masters from Kephess, Scream from TFB (TFB HM) and many more

Edited by THoK-Zeus

I think he means the use of Force Cloak on The Writing Horror fight to "cheese the adds away" :).

For the topic: other abilities you can cheese away as a Sin Tank:

Huge Grenade from Titan 6, The End from Sunder, Thundering Blast from Styrak (SV HM),Force Scream/Discharge/Force Leech from Dread Guards. Fury of the Masters from Kephess, Scream from TFB (TFB HM) and many more

Scream from TFB HM has been changed so resilience does not work on it anymore.

Sometimes you can Force Cloak to *interrupt* an ability on a boss, I once tried to see which abilities could be interrupted. Never do this on the 2nd Lots of Missiles since it cancels the cast -> Titan 6 Starts doing Launch immediately and the damage from Lots of Missiles still ticks on :D

Sometimes you can Force Cloak to *interrupt* an ability on a boss, I once tried to see which abilities could be interrupted. Never do this on the 2nd Lots of Missiles since it cancels the cast -> Titan 6 Starts doing Launch immediately and the damage from Lots of Missiles still ticks on :D

Awesome, when we do our (probably last) sv hm today, i should try that out :D. But for NiM (as Huge Grenade is not migated by Force Shroud anymore afaik) when you time a Force Cloak perfectly it could be viable (idk when nim sv launches we will see)

@ Leafy: you are right

LOL. To add to that, do not try cloaking out of Operation Chief's Terminate, he'll just start another cast immediately on a DPS (maybe offtank if they're pulling good threat). Also don't try Phase Walking back around the corner at the entrance during the Terminate cast, as soon as you get somewhat close to the boss he'll just start casting Terminate on you again. That guy is just hell bent on finishing a Terminate cast.

TfB

WTH- Cheese adds for second and fourth pull on NiM

DG- Ignore Lightning field damage, Use it before kelara Leech for 0 damage and a few extra seconds to get rid of all of your HoTs.

O-IX During second phase, you can put up force shroud to take zero damage on color deletion [Don't know if they fixed]

Keph Not much to cheese, and honestly not much need to cheese.

TfB first phase you can ignore the adds that come from the sea by force shrouding. You can also force shroud the adds that are "birthed" and clear a path for your group by taking the exploding damage.

S&V

Dash- Not much to cheese.

Titan 6- Can't cheese grenades in NiM, they changed it to weapon damage instead of elemental.

Trasher- Not much to cheese.

City- Use deflection on terminate, risky though nonetheless.

Shadow- not much to cheese

Warlords- You can cheese sunders endline move if you have two sin tanks, otherwise it's not a good idea to try.

Sty- Not much [useful] cheeses. You can use force shroud through his wall of hate, but that doesn't do you any good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Can somebody explain me, when shadow tank should use Force Cloak to "cheese" the adds on TWH? I've heard about this possibility, but never managed to do myself.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Artemis_Targon

Hi everyone!

Can somebody explain me, when shadow tank should use Resilience to "cheese" the adds on TWH? I've heard about this possibility, but never managed to do myself.

Thanks in advance.

not Resilience the combat stealth just stealth the second the male appears

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

Ahhh... Force Cloak. Thank you, because I was starting to get confused. So I just use it before I taunt the Jealous Male?

Exactly. During tank swap you stealth out. Latest you can do it if you forget is when you hear sounds of adds spawning.

So I just use it before I taunt the Jealous Male?

You have to Force Cloak and wait out the Incubation debuff. If you're out of combat when the Incubation debuff fades, you don't get any adds spawned. If you *are* in combat, you get 1 add for every Incubation stack that you had (this also happens when the Jealous Male hits you; its attacks remove the Incubation stacks). As such, if you Force Cloak and then immediately taunt the Male, you'll not have cheesed anything because you'll be right back in combat. What you have to do is get an mDPS tank the Male using one or more CDs for the first 5-10 seconds while you're waiting out the debuff.

Also, make sure that you move a bit away from the Male and the Writhing Horror before you cloak. If you take *any* damage, you get brought right back into combat so you want to make sure you're well away from any sources.

Something to remember is that this only works on HM and NiM. On SM, as soon as the Male spawns, the Incubation stacks get removed and spawn the adds.

Hi everyone!

Can somebody explain me, when shadow tank should use Force Cloak to "cheese" the adds on TWH? I've heard about this possibility, but never managed to do myself.

Thanks in advance.

Stealth out when your cotank takes the main boss off of you but just *before* you take the Jealous Male. You can pop right back into combat, grab the male and proceed as usual. You will hear the sound of the adds hatching, but nothing will happen.

You have to Force Cloak and wait out the Incubation debuff. If you're out of combat when the Incubation debuff fades, you don't get any adds spawned. If you *are* in combat, you get 1 add for every Incubation stack that you had (this also happens when the Jealous Male hits you; its attacks remove the Incubation stacks). As such, if you Force Cloak and then immediately taunt the Male, you'll not have cheesed anything because you'll be right back in combat. What you have to do is get an mDPS tank the Male using one or more CDs for the first 5-10 seconds while you're waiting out the debuff.

Actually, this isn't true anymore. All you have to do is drop combat (verified last night). Cotank taunts WH, I stealth and sprint out of 10m range of the Male, then turn around and Pull + Taunt. I'm back in combat less than 2 seconds after stealthing and I still have the Incubation debuff. Once the male hits me, the "add hatching" sound will be heard, but no adds will appear. I do have a video of this from a very tired melee DPS perspective, but the camera angle is really bad and you can't actually see anything. I also have a low-res video from my perspective, but it hasn't been uploaded.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Actually, this isn't true anymore.

I've been pulled back into combat early by AoE damage (cotank was out of melee when I swapped over and cloaked), and the adds still popped up afterwards. I *do* know that I've *never* had the adds spawn while I've been out of combat so /shrug. The Male doesn't really hit hard enough to require a tank and an mDPS with a tank CD can pretty well take care of it for a little while in my experience so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've been pulled back into combat early by AoE damage (cotank was out of melee when I swapped over and cloaked), and the adds still popped up afterwards. I *do* know that I've *never* had the adds spawn while I've been out of combat so /shrug. The Male doesn't really hit hard enough to require a tank and an mDPS with a tank CD can pretty well take care of it for a little while in my experience so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I wonder if it's something that has changed, perhaps recently. I've never cheesed the adds on hard mode (we run a very AoE heavy group, so there's never been a need). We cheese them on NiM just to reduce the variables and ease the healing slightly. Never had a problem with coming into combat before Incubation falls off.

NiM 16 man those *********** hit for 15k on me. 18-20k on a unprepared dps. likely if I leave at 7 stacks, the debuff leaves with enough time to catch him before a dps does.

Actually, this isn't true anymore. All you have to do is drop combat (verified last night). Cotank taunts WH, I stealth and sprint out of 10m range of the Male, then turn around and Pull + Taunt. I'm back in combat less than 2 seconds after stealthing and I still have the Incubation debuff. Once the male hits me, the "add hatching" sound will be heard, but no adds will appear. I do have a video of this from a very tired melee DPS perspective, but the camera angle is really bad and you can't actually see anything. I also have a low-res video from my perspective, but it hasn't been uploaded.

I can confirm this way worked yesterday on NiM 8m. Thank you all guys for comprehensive answers!

Kitru I have done this lots of times in HM and SM, also I told about this to several other shadows on the server and they did it and you don't have to wait or have DPS tank anything. Never once it failed. I even once forgot about it and stealthed out only when I heard the sound of adds hatching and still they didn't spawn. When I do this it is to make fight as easy as possible on the group so I won't be coordinating with DPS to taunt. mDPS stay on boss all the time in our groups anyway.

All good info, but in my opinion, this is a limited cheese (unless something extra is going on in NiM that makes it more valuable to skip adds). On HM, we can now kill the boss before the 3rd adds group, so time isn't much of a factor for us. This mechanic also requires additional team work to assist you with the cheese (the mDPS tank pretend-tanking for a bit, meaning you also need an mDPS with a taunt). In my book, that's not a cheese, it's an alternate strategy requiring multiple characters and different steps of coordination. Cheese, to me, is when one character does something thanks to an ability, more so than strategy, that results in being able to seemingly circumvent the intended mechanic.

In all the cases where a Shadow can "cheese" big attacks that are Force or Tech, I also would not consider that cheese. That is the intended function of Resilience - use it against big Force or Tech attacks as a defensive cool down. When other tanks use their defensive cool down as designed and intended, do we use the term "cheese" as much as we do with Shadows/Assassins? In my limited observations, it seems not. My opinion is that the entire, "Shadows can cheese so much stuff with Resilience and Stealth," came from Vanguards and Guardians very early in the game's life and it's been a big net loss for the effectiveness of Resilience since that time. With new content, it seems the devs forget about Resilience until it goes live and it works sometimes on some new things; but then the devs change many of the mechanics to no longer allow effective use of Resilience in subsequent patches that adjust the encounters. One of the few things not corrected in this manner yet is Xenoanalyst, but that goes to 55 with tweaks this coming week, so we'll see if we can "cheese" that fight anymore.

In the meantime, the net effectiveness of Guardian cool downs has grown by leaps and bounds and Vanguards got a little boost for cool downs too (but they still need 1 more probably). Was Resilience broken on release day? Absolutely. But as usual with this team, it seems like they have massively over corrected against a particular ability, via their system of infrequent live releases of class balance changes on a massive scale, rather than smaller and more frequent changes that cycle class to class.