Force Choke not honoring resolve

bsbrad

Any chance we could get the BW developers to fix this. I have been in several WZs recently where 3 or more Sents/Maras can just chain stun you using force choke irrespective of the resolve bar.

For instance a guildie tank and I as a healer went into a WZ last night (AH) and even when we both had full resolve bars were getting force choked by 2 Sents while the rest of their team were able to pwn us.

Any chance we can have a post from the devs about exactly how the resolve system works, i.e. a hard stun does full resolve, soft stun 1/2 resolve etc....

Are you sure you are not just being rooted by one of them while another chokes you? You can still choke someone with full resolve, and it will apply all its effects (damage, build rage, stacks for smash) except the stun.

Any chance we could get the BW developers to fix this. I have been in several WZs recently where 3 or more Sents/Maras can just chain stun you using force choke irrespective of the resolve bar.

For instance a guildie tank and I as a healer went into a WZ last night (AH) and even when we both had full resolve bars were getting force choked by 2 Sents while the rest of their team were able to pwn us.

Any chance we can have a post from the devs about exactly how the resolve system works, i.e. a hard stun does full resolve, soft stun 1/2 resolve etc....

It is a pretty rare bug that has been around since launch.

Reported many times, never fixed.

And don't expect it to get fixed, because this is just PVP, not some mis-colored Cartel junk that would require an emergency patch to correct immediately.

• Dev Post

Hey bsbrad,

I am trying to get a bit more information here before passing this on to the development team. It isn't an issue we are aware of and they would need a bit more info to fix it (if it is in fact broken).

• Could you give a more detailed account of what was going on at the time?
  • Were you stunned/rooted/etc. while this was happening?
  • Give any other details about the specific incident if possible.

As someone else alluded to, if you have a video link of this happening, that would be perfect! I could just show them that and they can get the answers they need.

Thanks!

If I had to guess you are experiencing as said above people choking you while snared

In rage they need choke to build up stacks so it makes sense to burn it sometimes even if you are at full resolve. But you might be right.

Or could just be lagging. Either way I have not noticed this

Hey bsbrad,

I am trying to get a bit more information here before passing this on to the development team. It isn't an issue we are aware of and they would need a bit more info to fix it (if it is in fact broken).

• Could you give a more detailed account of what was going on at the time?
  • Were you stunned/rooted/etc. while this was happening?
  • Give any other details about the specific incident if possible.

As someone else alluded to, if you have a video link of this happening, that would be perfect! I could just show them that and they can get the answers they need.

Thanks!

Where were you when this bug was first reported in January 2012? :rolleyes:

It's rare, so it's doubtful a video of it exists.

But essentially it is as the OP describes it, Force Choke ignores resolve under certain conditions.

And this is where it gets tricky:

Back then, I tried to duplicate the bug by dueling a Mara friend. We couldn't.

It seems that Force Choke by itself is not the problem, but the interaction with other attacks, stuns or running affects might be the cause.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully the OP has some more detailed info for you.

You should only be able to get stunned and rooted once per resolve bar, and resolve bar should NOT drain so quickly. Honestly this game gets so tiring when your chain stunned constantly. SWTOR has the worst stuns I've ever experienced in any MMO. Every other MMO I've played, stuns last like 2 seconds and are a 2 minute+ cooldown, purely used for a last ditch effort to turn the battle around. Not like SWTOR where stuns are basically an effective way to kill people.

You don't really need video to "prove" it. Just linking combat log with whole situation could be enough info to try and pinpoint it. Obviously combat log is much easier to get faked, but assuming we're here to fix bug, not to send anyone on wild goose chase, it's irrelevant.

You should only be able to get stunned and rooted once per resolve bar, and resolve bar should NOT drain so quickly. Honestly this game gets so tiring when your chain stunned constantly. SWTOR has the worst stuns I've ever experienced in any MMO. Every other MMO I've played, stuns last like 2 seconds and are a 2 minute+ cooldown, purely used for a last ditch effort to turn the battle around. Not like SWTOR where stuns are basically an effective way to kill people.

You obviously never played City of Heroes/Villains. This game is so minor compared to that one with the stuns, sleeps, roots, slows, confuses. After playing that game for so long, I welcome the more relaxing stun locks in this game.

You don't really need video to "prove" it. Just linking combat log with whole situation could be enough info to try and pinpoint it. Obviously combat log is much easier to get faked, but assuming we're here to fix bug, not to send anyone on wild goose chase, it's irrelevant.

good point. OP could turn off logging as soon as the bug occurs so we can look at the end of the log when we hunt for the bug rather than having to search high and low..

Force Choke doesn't seem to obey a lot of things. Like perhaps, when a target is choked and in the middle of the channel, they land on the ground to pop off a few shots or take a few swings and then resume being choked.

Warrants some investigation, that's for damn sure.

Are you sure you are not just being rooted by one of them while another chokes you? You can still choke someone with full resolve, and it will apply all its effects (damage, build rage, stacks for smash) except the stun.

roots break on dmg. so that could not occur as choke does dmg.

roots break on dmg. so that could not occur as choke does dmg.

Roots in this game are the snares that don't stop you from using abils just stop movement. And they do not break on dmg. They can be purged however

And to the guy above you, guardian/warrior tanks have a talent that allows them to have a force choke with no channel, that is not a bug. Trust me if they can do that they aren't hitting hard.....

That would make half our abilities useless and be decrease time to kill by a **** ton

yes i understand what you mean, but imao some abilities now rly doesnt work ... for example ball carrier has full resolve and sorcerer or guardian cannot kick him back/down ... this is very bad for pvp ... stun means nothing, just guy who got stunned cannot fight, but why for love of god ppl can not use their abilities on stunned players ...

if they change this crappy system we dont need so much stuns and that doesnt decrease TTK ...

And to the guy above you, guardian/warrior tanks have a talent that allows them to have a force choke with no channel, that is not a bug. Trust me if they can do that they aren't hitting hard.....

i think he means the person being choked will hit the ground and fire off a few shots. haven't noticed it in pvp but i have noticed it in pve at times but i've always thought it was an animation issue more than anything since it's often so hard to tell what damage is being done and by who/what