Current Exploit Action

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

As many of you may have heard rumor of, there was an exploit which was introduced in Game Update 4.3. We have since addressed the issue and the exploit is no longer possible. However I wanted to share some details on what happened and what action we are taking. Without going into too much detail, there was an issue tied to certain players accounts which allowed them to very easily create large quantities of credits through use of in-game mail and trading. We got reports over the past few days that players randomly received very large sums of credits and this was instrumental in helping us find isolate who had participated.

As of this post, many of the offenders have had their accounts banned. If at any time since 4.3 launched you received a very large and unexpected quantity of credits through in-game mail, trade, the GTN, or saw them moving through your Guild please send me a PM with the following information:

• Your character name
  • Server
  • Character who sent you those credits
  • Guild (if applicable)

Similarly, if you received a large quantity of credits do not move those credits. As with previous exploits, players who knowingly help exploiters avoid detection will also have action taken against their accounts. We are still investigating the accounts which used this exploit and we are in the process of removing that currency from the economy. As always, thank you to the vast majority of our players who did not participate. Many of you messaged us privately regarding the issue and were instrumental in us isolating and addressing the issue.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope sending money from one of my characters to another won't cause any problems. I sent like a million credits to a new character I had created the other day to buy character perks that way instead of spending Cartel Coins. Edited by BenKatarn

I hope sending money from one of my characters to another won't cause any problems. I sent like a million credits to a new character I had created the other day to buy character perks that way instead of spending Cartel Coins.

It won't, they're looking for specific activities that generated these credits and then tracking these credits as they were filtered out to the general population.

Thank you! I was wondering why prices seemed to be out of control

I was rather surprised when all the packs and chance cubes that I listed sold. Not even for crazy prices, 450k for the packs and 250k for the chance cubes, neither of which strikes me as a crazy price, but they all sold in about an hour.

If it turns out those are "hacked credits", I'm happy to give them back, but I'd like the packs and cubes back please. :)

I was rather surprised when all the packs and chance cubes that I listed sold. Not even for crazy prices, 450k for the packs and 250k for the chance cubes, neither of which strikes me as a crazy price, but they all sold in about an hour.

If it turns out those are "hacked credits", I'm happy to give them back, but I'd like the packs and cubes back please. :)

I can guarantee you that not all of those were bought by exploiters. for example 450k per pack (for new packs) is my threshold to buy them and if I hop into a game and see them listed? i WILL buy them, becasue that comes out to 13 mil per hypercrate which, again is my buying thershold with new prices.

the weird part was when items were listed for 80mil, items that don't usually even go for nearly that much.. and would sell within minutes.

I report/delete a lot of emails without opening them, if they're from a mystery source, due to the credit spam.

Would laugh my butt off if by some off chance I deleted an email with a mass of credits in it.

(No idea how exactly this works, so no idea if it's really random email with credits, or if they're giving people a way to back out of secondary involvement with their skin intact...)

We are still investigating the accounts which used this exploit and we are in the process of removing that currency from the economy. As always, thank you to the vast majority of our players who did not participate. Many of you messaged us privately regarding the issue and were instrumental in us isolating and addressing the issue.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Not that I exploit, but I do sell a fair amount of stuff obtained either as drops or crafted on the GTN. Am I suddenly going to find myself millions of credits poorer because some fool duped creds and then bought my auctions?

Well hope BW double check everything. I moved a lot of credits from a few of my republic characters to one of my imperial characters. all my own characters. Credits was towards my imp side guild ship. Also sold a skiff for 1mil+ which I had listed at the going rate several times which was about 5-10mil, but in the end just want it gone as saving for guild ship.

I still don't understand these exploits at all. Banning accounts is not the way to fix this though I do agree with removing the credits though) All that means is less subs? Also if you are punishing players for using an exploit, then the BW employee(s) who allowed this to happen in the first pace should not get off scot free.

I also admit that I don't fully understand this exploit or how it worked. not that I need to, but as said hope BW double check everything before banning accounts, there be nothing worse (in game terms, not real life) than adding to this debacle than banning innocent players by error because account were not looked at correctly.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Interesting....My friend`s account was banned, but last 5-6 months he making money through crafting, crew skills and heroics. He use another characters on account to sell all of it and send credits via mail back to main characters. So my question is next - Is this a reason for ban?really?And what he must do to prove his innocence?Nothing personal, just interesting...Also sry for my English. Edited by DiversantHR

I wonder how badly those pf us involved in operation runs are going to get hit. Large credit transfers with no real trade occurring.

Also are we sure this wasn't since 4.2? Pricing has been wacky since then but I guess that could have been tied to the slicing chests then ...

If so then we went from slicing chests being over the top and now this exploit ( which should rather more difficult than most to achieve ) ... wow the RMTs are going to have an insane amount of credits banked away.

I move credits from my alts to my main (where most of my stash is) all the time. In fact I just reduced the amount I stored on some of my alts yesterday. Am I going to be hammered by this? I made quite a lot of credits in the last month because I happened to get two unstable arbiter sabers dropping in my cartel packs.

I move credits from my alts to my main (where most of my stash is) all the time. In fact I just reduced the amount I stored on some of my alts yesterday. Am I going to be hammered by this? I made quite a lot of credits in the last month because I happened to get two unstable arbiter sabers dropping in my cartel packs.

I've also been moving credits from my alts to my main recently, gained from grinding heroics. I have been spending them on the gtn for gear and server slots. Hopefully I won't be impacted.

This exploit might explain why the server slot costs suddenly skyrocketed over the last couple of days too.

Edited by horrorfaneightys

Interesting....My friend`s account was banned, but last 5-6 months he making money through crafting, crew skills and heroics. He use another characters on account to sell all of it and send credits via mail back to main characters. So my question is next - Is this a reason for ban?really?And what he must do to prove his innocence?Nothing personal, just interesting...Also sry for my English.

Looks like they need to work on their search tool. Characters in the same legacy throwing credits at each other aren't suspicious.

I'm curious to know how this one worked, now that it doesn't any more. Was it one of those split-item-stacks-and-refund things?

If you happened to sell them recently for way more than what the market was at previously....maybe. As far as just moving credits between your own toons that shouldn't cause any problems

Hey folks,

As many of you may have heard rumor of, there was an exploit which was introduced in Game Update 4.3. We have since addressed the issue and the exploit is no longer possible. However I wanted to share some details on what happened and what action we are taking. Without going into too much detail, there was an issue tied to certain players accounts which allowed them to very easily create large quantities of credits through use of in-game mail and trading. We got reports over the past few days that players randomly received very large sums of credits and this was instrumental in helping us find isolate who had participated.

As of this post, many of the offenders have had their accounts banned. If at any time since 4.3 launched you received a very large and unexpected quantity of credits through in-game mail, trade, the GTN, or saw them moving through your Guild please send me a PM with the following information:

• Your character name
  • Server
  • Character who sent you those credits
  • Guild (if applicable)

Similarly, if you received a large quantity of credits do not move those credits. As with previous exploits, players who knowingly help exploiters avoid detection will also have action taken against their accounts. We are still investigating the accounts which used this exploit and we are in the process of removing that currency from the economy. As always, thank you to the vast majority of our players who did not participate. Many of you messaged us privately regarding the issue and were instrumental in us isolating and addressing the issue.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I am posting this on behalf of my fiancee, as his account has been banned under your issue. He did have large amounts of credits sent between the characters on his account, as he has multiple toons whose names contain special characters on several servers, and also transferred one character to Harbinger and one character back to Ebon Hawk. The primary server that this issue has occurred on is Ebon Hawk, and we are both members of Dark Ascension. His login name is Valekbloodwynn and there are 25 characters on this server alone.

Character Name: Kallis (Imp and Pub), Valthorian (Imp and Pub), many others

Server: Ebon Hawk, Harbinger, and at least 1 toon on each of the other servers

Character who sent credits - transferred between characters on own account via in-game mail - amounts from anywhere between 25000000 and 200000000 credits that had been in the account prior to last week- and credit transfers from guild members via in-game trade [Ne-ro, 15,000,000 credits). Also moved one toon from Harbinger to Ebon Hawk, and moved one toon from Ebon Hawk to Harbinger.

Guild: Dark Ascension