Finding Mats

Jedi_Knight_Jess

Having a really hard time finding laminoid an aluminum, is going back to DK a good idea??

Also have a schematics question- is it easier to RE old items or simply buy the schematics?

At the vendor, I foun Skill Mod 5......I'm level 16.....but at lv. 17 I can get the Mod 6......isn't that easier than REing?

Having a really hard time finding laminoid an aluminum, is going back to DK a good idea??

Also have a schematics question- is it easier to RE old items or simply buy the schematics?

At the vendor, I foun Skill Mod 5......I'm level 16.....but at lv. 17 I can get the Mod 6......isn't that easier than REing?

I personally dislike "farming" for materials. In your case, try running missions that are bountiful or rich. They are more expensive but in my experience one has a better chance getting the uncommon materials. If you insist on farming then DK might have nodes you are looking for in the upper end areas.

The short answer to your question regarding RE vs buying schematics is that buying the mod 6 is easier than trying to get the schematic by RE.

HOWEVER: The long version is that schematics discovered by REing are of the same grade just improved versions: If you RE a Green quality Skill Mod 5, when you get the schematic by RE you will get the Blue quality Skill Mod 5 schematic NOT the Green Skill Mod 6. If you then RE the Blue quality Skill mod 5, when you get the schematic by RE you will get the Purple quality Skill mod 5.

That being said, The Blue Skill mod 5 is slightly (and I mean VERY slightly) better than the Green Skill mod 6. But as you go up in skill and get better schematics the difference between grade X blue vs grade X+1 green will tip in the blue quality lower grade item's favor.

My overall advice in all candor is if this is your first character abandon cybertech and take another gathering skill. Sell the materials you get on the GTN and then buy what you feel you need with the proceeds. If you insist on leveling a crafting skill just be aware that one of two things will happen:

1. you will outlevel what you can craft: materials gathered from nodes lag behind your class level so what you can craft based on purely gathered materials will not be upgrades for you.

2. you will be strapped for credits because you are running missions to avoid #1: running crew skill missions for materials will keep your crafting skill at or above your character level so you can craft stuff that is level appropriate but that comes at the price of having to spend credits to run those crew skill missions. You might be able to recoup some of that money by selling what you can craft on the GTN but there is no guarantee someone will buy.

I do not know about the whole ditch the cybertech idea, my first character did cybertech, and I sell mods / armorings for way more then the salvaged materials go for. You just need to know what grade, and quality to sell. Just need to be sure you change with the market, one week low grade stuff will be selling high, the next week mid grade might spike, while low grade gets flooded. I just stuff my unsold items in the storage till the market bounces back, sometimes I will even buyout the lowballers and re sell for a nice big profit :)

Ok I'll keep cybertech. I have a few blues, but they need mats like aluminum, and for some reason I have piles and piles of desh, silica, which is fine for making mods, but it's mods an aromrings I don't need....like resolve, an might......

Or just craft, RE them anyways? Will my tech skill go up?

Ok I'll keep cybertech. I have a few blues, but they need mats like aluminum, and for some reason I have piles and piles of desh, silica, which is fine for making mods, but it's mods an aromrings I don't need....like resolve, an might......

move onto the next planet for higher grade materials around the planet / dead droids. If the items are not selling for much better off to RE them for mats to keep crafting. You can skill up a little faster that way. Better off selling the blue / purple items over green ones (for most grades).

REing doesn't give skills ups as far as I know, just the 20% chance for a higher quality recipe and some of the materials you used to craft it back.

On the Republic side you can farm aluminum in the Face Merchants heroic in the Black Sun sector. Take your highest level toon, kill and harvest all the strong droids, step out and reset, then repeat. Until you have all the aluminum you need or can't take it anymore. :)

This works in any heroic or flashpoint with a lot of strong droids, there's most likely one on DK as well. There are a lot of strong droids west of Kaas city around the bridge as well.

...sometimes I will even buyout the lowballers and re sell for a nice big profit :)
If you can work your way up to 1million credits and start doing this you can really control a market for more consistent returns.

Set a cut off line where you'll buy anything lower but never sell below the line. For example say an item on the market averages 15k, you set your cut off at 10k. You and other sellers compete normally around 15k,sometimes you sell down to 11-12k, sometimes your alone and can sell upto 25-30k. Then some moron sells at 5k. Buy it up and relist it at the normal 15k.

Keep it up and people will think 15k is the norm and keep paying for it. The 5k seller gets his money, you've basically outsourced mat purchases and manufacturing to him.

Don't go below 10k and your safe, and NEVER drop below the 5k you bought him out at or you start to lose money.

All types of armorings and mods take the same materials; the difference is in the item level. Specifically, you need desh and slica for armorings labeled "3" (for level 11 characters), no matter if they are resolve or might or reflex; you need aluminum and laminoid for grade 4 armorings (level 13).

You may not need resolve armorings, but maybe your alts and/or companions will, or maybe you can sell them on GTN - the blue versions usually fetch a nice profit. If you set yourself as an objective to RE the blue versions of a few armorings for each grade, you will advance your Cybertech skill without effort.