How many people actually play GSF?

krossfade

Im in one of the biggest guilds on my server, and i am always checking to see if anyone is actually playing this, and other than 1 guy, who is constantly trying to get other people to play with him, there really is nobody that plays regularly at all. I qued the other day, waited 15 mins, then said screw it, ground pvp never seems to take longer than a few mins.

When it first came out a lota people were trying it out, but became bored very quickly, has it all ready reached its peak in a few months?

I've jumped into one match since re-subbing. My first few efforts ended similarly to what the OP said. I waited too long and ended up playing the ground pvp again.

After having experienced one match, I've seen all I "need" to see of GSF. It's not fun at all.

If I want to chase a firefly all over the place, I'll take a walk outside at night.

GSF is exactly what I figured it would be. It's a shame. It should be so much better and so much more.

There is a game that was released in like....1998? Its called Allegiance. It's 10 times the game that GSF is.

Frankly, Allegiance is still probably one of the best Space Combat games ever made. Too bad it was so far ahead of its time. :(

I will play GSF a few more times as I have some friends who would like to experience it. Other than that, it simply isn't fun nor is it appealing to look at. Poor effort.

What's that Star Wars game of dice or some such? Pazzak? Should have stuck with that.

Shadowlander here i would say imp side is pretty small pub side is bigger. Any time i que on my pub i always get more pub on pub then imp vs pub. It's like super rare to get a imp on imp in shadowland

But to answer your question (speaking as shadowlander and a guy who likes gsf) is gsf popular....no. At this stage of it it is just something there do.

Edited by Applejacxs

I used to play a few matches everyday now I hardly play at all. I dislike bombers but I'm not going to blame it on 2.6 though. It really isn't as fun to me as it used to be, but I figure its just because I played way too much over the past two months and I'm in need of a break.

There is a game that was released in like....1998? Its called Allegiance. It's 10 times the game that GSF is.

Frankly, Allegiance is still probably one of the best Space Combat games ever made. Too bad it was so far ahead of its time. :(

Wow someone that remembers Allegiance put out by Microsoft on the Microsoft Gaming Zone. For those that never heard of it; it was a game for up to 6 teams that could have matchs last from 20-30 minutes to a few hours. Basically everyone started out in scouts and the team captain would decide how the team spent the resources it gathered toward building better fighters, capital ships and future technology in general. You could have upwards of 300 people in one match depending on how each match was set up intially. I was one of the few Sysops in the game that started out as a beta tester and was promoted to help run the game and answer questions for free play time in the game.

I have to say, that on Red Eclipse where I play, it's quite slim pickings. There's a few good gunship pilots that always run with a few man team that give trouble purely due to coordination but beyond that, it's kind of meh. Guess EU side there isn't much enthusiasm for it.

I'm on PoT5, and it kinda reminds me of old-school single-server PvP days in WoW when they introduced their first battleground.

Pretty frequent pops throughout the day, with lots of familiar faces, which is cool. But then during off-hours you can wait 30 minutes or more, and it dies altogether around 2 AM central time. A decent number may do the daily quest, but that can often only be one match. My guess is less than 10% of the total population plays more consistently than that. Some pretty gung-ho folks out there, though.

What server are you on? There are really only 3 servers with heavy GSF play. Try rolling a new toon on Pot5, Harbinger, or TEH. They tend to have the highest GSF pops.

and red eclipse (eu server), majority of the time GSF pops within 1 minute max more often than not in seconds.

and red eclipse (eu server), majority of the time GSF pops within 1 minute max more often than not in seconds.

it does. i am online almost daily between 9pm and 11pm and couple of hours more on weekends and near exclusively play GSF nowadays. i have yet to wait longer than 5min for any match to pop. after 3 weeks of this i recognise some usual suspects but not that many, telling me there is quite a healthy population of pilots around.

I have to say, that on Red Eclipse where I play, it's quite slim pickings. There's a few good gunship pilots that always run with a few man team that give trouble purely due to coordination but beyond that, it's kind of meh. Guess EU side there isn't much enthusiasm for it.

I am barely doing the daily and weekly for now, but it Looks like i will stop altogether. While the idea is interesting, the implementation is just sad. There is no Balance between the Teams, though it might be hard with so few Players. It is Buggy, Missiles won't lock and fire most of the time, and everything lags around. On the other Hand it is like the rest of the game, so i might have expected to much, after all many of the beta bugs are still here ;)

How many people actually play GSF?

Not that many in my main guild. I've actually stopped periodically asking to group up as I often get hostile replies. Either they don't like the inescapable sci-fi ness of flying starfighter coming from the swords and dungeons of wow or they are entirely sick of playing the premades which seem to play 24/7. About a month into GSF Shadowlands got entirely lopsided. A few pay-to-play premades tilted the odds in repub's favor and the kiddies who hate to lose went over and established themselves over there. The actual people I see playing GSF are the two ship f2p'ers.

If the devs just had a matching system that required any premade team to be countered by an opposing premade then more people might show interest. It has huge potential but this major flaw seems to be turning away the original subscriber base.

u sure u on red eclipse?

i see different names all time each match plus the regulars ofc. last night had 8 games, 4 on rep, 4 on emp and only odd name keep popping up most matches was fresh names.

all i do now is gsf and on red eclipse we do have some excellent pilots, most of the best are on republic side but still there are some really good pilots out there on red eclipse on both sides.

all i do now is gsf and on red eclipse we do have some excellent pilots, most of the best are on republic side but still there are some really good pilots out there on red eclipse on both sides.

Really? Odd, I haven't met any. Or do you mean those guys who fly mastered ships only in premades and farm pugs?

I have been playing on Bastion and it tends to pop quickly, no more then abour 5 mins max, way less in primetimes.

That being said, pub side is almost always way better (must be all the smugglers) which is funny because standard pvp is opposite with Imps always winning. I have been running on both my BH and my Smuggler and I rarely lose on my smuggler (not that I have much to do with it)

Really? Odd, I haven't met any. Or do you mean those guys who fly mastered ships only in premades and farm pugs?

no im on about majority of pugs, and as for premades on red eclipse i dont seem to have any issues with them as blow up the same as a pug does.

yes alot of them pilots have mastered ships but that dont mean squat, alot of them guys including me could hand some ones *** to them in a unmodified ship. if u ever run into me on toretto youll see, that char has zero mods to any ship and youll not see me out of top 3, same as those top pilots on the server and we do have some good ones.

so to OP yeah on our server we have regular popping matches and mix bag of good and bad pilots and i dont see any increase in pop times meaning we are not experiecing any significant decline in player base in gsf.

I've been playing a fair bit cause outside of re-running the dread stuff on HM there isn't much else to do. The tactical flashpoints proved to be rather under whelming.

Though it getting to the point where I couldn't really tell you why I'm playing, its all the same groups when the match does fire with the usual faces and then a few f2pers in the mix. In general the side with the more f2ps loses. So I think I am getting to the stage where not logging in is more appealing than to log in and play GSF and get another unenjoyable experience that just provides requisition for a ship I have maxed or ships I don't really fly.

On my server I see a healthy population on both factions. My win rate is 75% on republic and 54% on imperial almost exclusively solo queuing. Occasionally I see the same people over multiple matches but more often I see names I don't recognize. I am even seeing imperial vs imperial matches when the most active players are on the republic side. Matchmaking seems to be better than it was before as I have had a lot more close matches. In my experience GSF has a healthy population on my server.