Skipping bonus and other things in Flashpoints

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I like doing full clears and watching the cut scenes, but if the group wants to skip, then I'll go with flow too :)

If dpsing on my main, I'll follow the Tank, but if I'm tanking I'll usually do bonus' and kill all bosses as I'm usually after the achievements; as long as the group doesn't object ;)

I'm definitely "that guy" in FPs. I want the fastest possible CXP/min and I absolutely don't want to waste time watching cutscenes or pulling unnecessary trash.

Whenever possible I limit my selection to Hammer, Mando, Reaper,etc in order to avoid getting cutscene watchers. I'll set the pace in the FP and if people *purposefully* slow down I'll vote kick. I've never had a vote kick fail, so my group seems to appreciate it. Probably because I'm never rude about it. Polite, but firm. People who are new or just not as skilled are fine, and I'm happy to teach them how to improve their clear times.

Don't worry, I've been on the other end before too. I've run into a group of people who wanted the entire FP experience and kicked me when I skipped all the Hammer Station trash. I've been kicked by people who are even more skilled at running FPs than me and I was slowing THEM down! No hard feelings in either case.

Time is CXP, and I'd rather kick/be kicked than slow down my runs with a group that's a poor fit. Conversely, I'm sure they'd rather run with someone who meets their needs.

It's fairly straightforward for me - when I begin something, I want to complete it fully. Doubling the chance at a housing drop is a nice incentive, too, if you need anything more than that. If I find a group which doesn't want to do a bonus, I just leave and go do something else, no hard feelings, but to me it's non-optional.

It bothers me that they designed the flashpoints such that so many mob groups can be avoided even without a stealther or certain professions. It seems they wanted to appease the speed-run "ignore the content and gimme mah loot/CXP" crowd, but it's how the FPs are made and I live with it.

Honestly I think it boils down to rewards. Make the rewards for doing bonus content good enough and people will do it. Hell if you added a reward to watching a cut-scene, if its good enough people would do it!

Exactly! A few hundred creds and barely more CXP than a pack of trash mobs isen't worth going out of the way to worry with a bonus. Boost it to 10k+ creds and over 1k CXP you will start seeing a lot more bonus bosses getting killed.

As for the cut scenes, as many others have said, watch that crap in story mode. If it isen't KDY you should be spacebaring. The vast majority of players have seen the FP cut scenes multiple times and have no desire to waste time waiting on you.

I did a guild run through Athiss a few weeks ago.

Seemingly they were used so much through avouiding encounters and going "easy paths" that they just didn't know the boxes and the buff artifacts there. They were actually surprised as I was showing them one.

I told me that this is one of the sweet things of exploring everything alone (or, so manmy years ago now, with people doing a rather relaxed run, exploring everything as well, because they were as new to me to the FP as I was).

I bet that no-one of the younger generation knows the buffs in Mando Raiders.

My policy (as a 5 year subscriber who was also in beta) is simple.

Ask politely if you want to spacebar/skip, and if everyone else agrees, then I'm cool with it.

However, if you make it a demand? You demand that I spacebar? You're going to be a jerk, I won't just refuse to spacebar, I'll milk every choice... make it at the last second. Is that me being a jerk? Yes, it is but when all you had to do to make me spacebar is ask politely but no you had to be a jerk... it makes me mad and when I'm mad I get mean.

My policy (as a 5 year subscriber who was also in beta) is simple.

Ask politely if you want to spacebar/skip, and if everyone else agrees, then I'm cool with it.

However, if you make it a demand? You demand that I spacebar? You're going to be a jerk, I won't just refuse to spacebar, I'll milk every choice... make it at the last second. Is that me being a jerk? Yes, it is but when all you had to do to make me spacebar is ask politely but no you had to be a jerk... it makes me mad and when I'm mad I get mean.

I don't ask to spacebar I expect people to spacebar. If someone doesn't I don't make a fuss I just afk and do something else during convos and let all the choices run to max time. I may not even come back when the convo ends.

I only play Tank in PvE so gg if you vote kick me. I'll instaqueue while you wait even longer.

The real question is why would the OP expect other players to think/act like him? Why is it so hard to understand other people motivation?

You are e new player wanting to enjoy every cut scene? Your are a completitionist? Good for you!

I have done every FP in this game more times than I would like to admit (and definitely more times than a sane person would like to). I have watched every cut scene way more times than I want to because of people who don't skip!

I do believe (completely unfounded) that completing the weekly FP quests will land you more XP/cXP than fighting every single mob/boss in a FP, therefore I prefer completing five Vet FPs for the time you will do two. I got 20+ chars and all they need some love, and I don't have all day and night to play. And yeah, I simply prefer fast paced FP runs!

This is my motivation. And no, I am not from the "new" generation. My little daughter classmates are the new generation.

You want to watch cutscenes slowing me and (eventually) two more players down? You want to pull every mob in a FP or you cant follow the lead? You get either a kick or an ignore, or both, whatever works best for the group. Or, in some rare and strange cases, I get a kick for being "toxic" and you still get an ignore. There is nothing wrong with that. Ignoring people that doesn't fit your play style means you get better chances to group with like minded people.

I hope now you got better understanding why some people are skipping.

I always feel like I am missing things when I do group FP (unless it is with my guild) or any group content.

I didn't even know there was boosts in the FP's. :(

Though I wouldn't mind skipping things in the new FP. THat is just way too long and too hard for a solo player.

Edited by LeelaSeventen

The real question is why would the OP expect other players to think/act like him? Why is it so hard to understand other people motivation?

You are e new player wanting to enjoy every cut scene? Your are a completitionist? Good for you!

I have done every FP in this game more times than I would like to admit (and definitely more times than a sane person would like to). I have watched every cut scene way more times than I want to because of people who don't skip!

I do believe (completely unfounded) that completing the weekly FP quests will land you more XP/cXP than fighting every single mob/boss in a FP, therefore I prefer completing five Vet FPs for the time you will do two. I got 20+ chars and all they need some love, and I don't have all day and night to play. And yeah, I simply prefer fast paced FP runs!

This is my motivation. And no, I am not from the "new" generation. My little daughter classmates are the new generation.

You want to watch cutscenes slowing me and (eventually) two more players down? You want to pull every mob in a FP or you cant follow the lead? You get either a kick or an ignore, or both, whatever works best for the group. Or, in some rare and strange cases, I get a kick for being "toxic" and you still get an ignore. There is nothing wrong with that. Ignoring people that doesn't fit your play style means you get better chances to group with like minded people.

I hope now you got better understanding why some people are skipping.

Yea, what server(s) do you play on and what are your character's names? Let's just take care of this right now.

I'm half-joking, but what I'm saying is if you can't calmly discuss what's best for everyone and reach a compromise, then yea maybe you do need to kick the odd man out, but on the other hand, with the exception of a few FP, the cutscenes really aren't that long and the bonus bosses are simple and give you more XP/CP. Either way, a simple discussion and compromise is far better and doesn't risk showing a new player that the Star Wars Old Republic community are a bunch of ******es. I know we aren't, but I do have friends that have managed to get into a few bad flashpoints and quit the game because of it. The "veterans" were complete ******es to them.

Yea, what server(s) do you play on and what are your character's names? Let's just take care of this right now.

I'm half-joking, but what I'm saying is if you can't calmly discuss what's best for everyone and reach a compromise, then yea maybe you do need to kick the odd man out, but on the other hand, with the exception of a few FP, the cutscenes really aren't that long and the bonus bosses are simple and give you more XP/CP. Either way, a simple discussion and compromise is far better and doesn't risk showing a new player that the Star Wars Old Republic community are a bunch of ******es. I know we aren't, but I do have friends that have managed to get into a few bad flashpoints and quit the game because of it. The "veterans" were complete ******es to them.

Simple yes, short no. The issue is not the bonus boss itself but the requirements to unlock it and the time it takes to reach those requirements. And most of the time, the time it takes to reach the requirements and defeating the bonus boss would be better served - AKA more ©XP - running a second FP.

And yes, most FPs have *A* cutscene that is not terribly long, so I have no problem waiting in those cases; the only time I have an issue (and I have said this before) is Ess/BT because there is SO much story to those two FPs. D7 is a close second, and in those cases I state up front, "if you want to watch the cutscenes say so and I will leave, otherwise please space bar."

• 2 weeks later...
first time there? absolutely watch the cutscenes. but some of this content has been recycled for 4, and 5 and even 6 years now. i don't need to watch the cut scenes for Hammer Station for the 8,982nd time; they haven't added any new story or dialog that would be worth watching. as for bonus bosses.. you're being a bit disingenuous as most of them have increased difficulty level and/or higher HP and hit like trucks compared to the regular bosses, and the guy who's usually all gung-ho for the bonus boss has 104,000 health and an ilvl of 219 lolz. i'll gear check my group. if everyone has i244 or higher than sure, lets' do the bonus boss. but if there's 2 fresh 70's and everyone is undergeared then no, i'm not doing it. sorry not sorry

first time there? absolutely watch the cutscenes. but some of this content has been recycled for 4, and 5 and even 6 years now. i don't need to watch the cut scenes for Hammer Station for the 8,982nd time; they haven't added any new story or dialog that would be worth watching. as for bonus bosses.. you're being a bit disingenuous as most of them have increased difficulty level and/or higher HP and hit like trucks compared to the regular bosses, and the guy who's usually all gung-ho for the bonus boss has 104,000 health and an ilvl of 219 lolz. i'll gear check my group. if everyone has i244 or higher than sure, lets' do the bonus boss. but if there's 2 fresh 70's and everyone is undergeared then no, i'm not doing it. sorry not sorry

Yes, but just because you and I have been playing for 6 years doesn't mean Johnny has. So, should we say "Screw you, Johnny.... We're veterans who have seen this cutscene 2000 times already, watch the cutscenes on your own time, don't waste ours." when with level-scaling now Johnny will probably never be able to just go solo Black Talon to watch the cutscenes like we used to be able to (sure, I can solo Black Talon storymode on my sentinel with Kira but it's a pain to do so and it's only possible because I have such an ungodly high Presence as a 6 year veteran with all the Presence perks and Kira is like 30 Influence)

• 2 weeks later...

This is why there needs to be a way to flag for these preferences in Group Finder. Not everyone is a veteran. Newbs help this community grow. I'm seeing a lot of hostility in this thread towards newbs. Also, some people may have not watched the cutscenes in a while and want a refresher or enjoy a particular scene.

I always ask to do the bonus boss, and I make it a point to ask if someone is new to an FP. If they are, I then ask if they want us to take it slow. I've never seen anyone else ask these things. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Being able to solo an FP doesn't justify this hostility. The fun is going through these together as a team. This is supposed to be a social game. Stop acting anti-social and respect your fellow players.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

Yes, but just because you and I have been playing for 6 years doesn't mean Johnny has. So, should we say "Screw you, Johnny.... We're veterans who have seen this cutscene 2000 times already, watch the cutscenes on your own time, don't waste ours." when with level-scaling now Johnny will probably never be able to just go solo Black Talon to watch the cutscenes like we used to be able to (sure, I can solo Black Talon storymode on my sentinel with Kira but it's a pain to do so and it's only possible because I have such an ungodly high Presence as a 6 year veteran with all the Presence perks and Kira is like 30 Influence)

Uh, what? You get a god droid in Black Talon story mode, and, y'know, it's a story mode FP so it's even easier than the class story. No Presence, high-influence healer comp, experience, or skill required.

This is why there needs to be a way to flag for these preferences in Group Finder. Not everyone is a veteran. Newbs help this community grow. I'm seeing a lot of hostility in this thread towards newbs. Also, some people may have not watched the cutscenes in a while and want a refresher or enjoy a particular scene.

I always ask to do the bonus boss, and I make it a point to ask if someone is new to an FP. If they are, I then ask if they want us to take it slow. I've never seen anyone else ask these things. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Being able to solo an FP doesn't justify this hostility. The fun is going through these together as a team. This is supposed to be a social game. Stop acting anti-social and respect your fellow players.

Respect goes both ways. If somebody asks to do content or informs the group that they want to watch cutscenes, sure, whatever. A "hey guys this is my first time" or "I need the bonus boss for cheevos" makes a big difference.

But if somebody says absolutely nothing, pulls random groups for the bonus, ignores mechanics, and suchlike things, then I see no reason to treat that person with respect. At that point, the person is wasting everybody else's time. It is infinitely faster to explain things beforehand than it is to wipe and explain them later. An unwillingness to tolerate conduct indistinguishable from griefing isn't the same thing as hostility toward new players.

Im glad that so far in the Copero MM flashpoint people never had anything against doing the bonus boss. Also, its very nice that people are actually able to do it, follow instructions etc, its nice to see that the rating requirement get more "Pro" people into the Flashpoint.

What it really boils down to for me is this.

Can this game be soloed entirely without ever speaking to another player or acknowledging they exist? Yep.

But, that's not really the way the game was intended to be played.

So, follow Wheaton's Law.

I'm talking about those that absolutely refuse let people watch cutscenes, put their foot down on not doing bonus bosses, etc.

"You all want to do the bonus, boss? Too bad, I'm the tank and I say we aren't doing it."

"We don't care if you want to watch cutscenes, we are skipping them. Watch them on your own time."

As for that new robot thing in solo, god I hate that thing. It just made the entitlement of veteran players versus new players even worse.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

I'm talking about those that absolutely refuse let people watch cutscenes, put their foot down on not doing bonus bosses, etc.

It is not possible to refuse people the right to watch cutscenes, it is, however, possible to kick people from the flashpoint group who does so, that requires a majority of the group. However, for such a thing to happen, you need the rest of the group to agree with kicking and if that is the case, the person who refused to skip cutscenes is in the wrong because their will is not worth more than the rest of the group.

Just like a person who doesn't want to kill the bonus boss or watch cutscenes can leave the group if the rest of the group wants to do so, the person who wants to kill the bonus boss or watch the cutscenes can leave the group in case the rest of the group does not want to do that.

Unless you are a person who feels like your own personal game experiance is more important than the experiance of three other players, it's not really a complicated situation.

Edited by RikuvonDrake