Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

Karaiblis

I know I saw it, but I guess it's understandable that he didn't know this at first since his job is to moderate forums (or something related to forums), and not fix bugs and probably not write patch notes either.

Apparently the brain and the mouth peace are not seeing eye-to-eye.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is it, really.

The whole way this has been handled reeks of 'uh oh, a problem has arisen. What approach requires least effort from us? OK, do that. Let's not make the effort to do a simple thing that would satisfy everyone who gave us money.'

Understood, like I said I just wanted to point it out as an option because it is uncommon and so I thought you might not be aware of it. It doesn't have anything big and nasty on it though, so you may be thinking of something else. It has what looks like some nylon webbing, which is very military/spy in appearance.

Yes it has a large fanny pack smashed right in the middle, it is hard to miss.

This is it, really.

The whole way this has been handled reeks of 'uh oh, a problem has arisen. What approach requires least effort from us? OK, do that. Let's not make the effort to do a simple thing that would satisfy everyone who gave us money.'

Thats what happens when you fire 90% of the dev team. A skeleton crew, texture artists, and mouth pieces that have no idea whats going on, are the only people left. That and EA is hemorrhaging money.

Just when I thought they were on to something in the armor department they convert the phantom piece into another stupid re-skin. My shadow went from looking like a ninja to... another craptastic inquisitor. Had I known that having another copycat design was the intention all along I certainly wouldn't have blown the time and credits to purchase, slot, and mod it. Most, if not all, of the re-skins being sold as "new" items on the cartel market are shameful. Prime example: they should've made the already craftable TT-16 powered assault armor moddable, not called it "Overwatch" and sold it for cartel coins. Stuff like that is tacky and sad. I kept holding out hope that they would turn things around aesthetically but it just isn't happening, and crafting is still as vestigial as ever.

Understood, like I said I just wanted to point it out as an option because it is uncommon and so I thought you might not be aware of it. It doesn't have anything big and nasty on it though, so you may be thinking of something else. It has what looks like some nylon webbing, which is very military/spy in appearance.

The problem with the hardweave stuff is that is a pretty awful green and yellow color with no matching boots or gloves. I think the big selling point for many for spymaster was the white, black and red color scheme along with the sleek and slim look. There just isn't anything else like this.

Y'know... The Spymaster and Phantom chest pieces used to look really really amazing, and redeemed BW's art department in my eyes.

Now, wearing the Spymaster chest, I look like a 1960's Sci-Fi Hoola Girl from that James Bond movie on a space station. And as for the Phantom top... It's a boring reskin of a hooded inquisitor robe. And I hate hoods: they hide your toon's indivuality that you put your creativity into upon character creation, and make you look like everyone else.

Here's a tip to the nitpickers: don't say anything to BW about cosmetic discrepancies. They will do something that a lot of people do not want them to do. Especially when it comes to clothes and costume design. I think we can all agree that, when it comes to clothing, their art and design department are sorely lacking in style.

Well, at least they didn't mess with the Covert Torso Energy Armor. Being naked from the belt up looks better than that what now passes for the Spymaster chest piece.

tl;dr. Pointing out cosmetic faults to BW is a bad idea. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

Edited by PifferPuff

Here is the thing that really chaps my hide. Bioware finally produces a cpl decent piece of armor that look good. That don't have all these ridiculous blobs, bumps, diapers, wings and appendages on them. People LIKE them and then they turn around and change it to the hideous armor they are so well known for and have had constant complaints about since before launch.

Doesn't BW get the fact that the vast majority of their armor designs are flat out fugly? I've seen dogs backsides that looked better than most of the armor in this game. Whoever is designing this stuff needs to stop and go back to simpler and cleaner is better. because that is the look I go for, and that most of the people I know go for.

Yes you are always going to have people who don't have the slightest aesthetic sense of taste when it comes to what they like, but seriously. Does that include your entire art department? if so. FIRE THEM.

Edited by Saitada

I know I saw it, but I guess it's understandable that he didn't know this at first since his job is to moderate forums (or something related to forums), and not fix bugs and probably not write patch notes either.

Sorry but no, it's not his job to moderate the forum, it's his job to keep the hordes happy, engaged and informed, and that involves checking his facts before making any statement(s). Bottom line, he should _not_ have said it was an unintended change unless the devs told him it was unintended. He also said the change would be reversed; will that happen or did he pull that "fact" out of the same orifice?

Bioware's handling of this is one of incompetence, not cruelty. Most developers actually want to make something that makes themselves and their customers happy. Shocking I know.

They first either used the wrong pictures on the cartel pack ads or added the wrong sets into the packs. They then attempted to fix it by dropping the "new" models on top of the "old" items since that's easier than replacing everyone's items; imagine the mess with installed mods/augments, GTN, banked items, unopened packs...

Bunch of messups, but none of it seems to be intended to "cheat" us.

Here is the thing that really chaps my hide. Bioware finally produces a cpl decent piece of armor that look good. That don't have all these ridiculous blobs, bumps, diapers, wings and appendages on them. People LIKE them and then they turn around and change it to the hideous armor they are so well know for and have had constant complaints about since before launch.

Doesn't BW get the fact that the vast majority of their armor designs are flat out fugly? I've seen dogs backsides that looked better than most of the armor in this game. Whoever is designing this stuff needs to stop and go back to simpler and cleaner is better. because that is the look I go for, and that most of the people I know go for.

Yes you are always going to have people who don't have the slightest aesthetic sense of taste when it comes to what they like, but seriously. Does that include your entire art department? if so. FIRE THEM.

Sadly Eaware looks to World of Warcraft for inspiration.

The Spymaster and the Phantom outfits were both adjusted to look more like their advertised appearance in the Cartel Market, after we received more than a few remarks about this dissimilarity. This is to ensure that customers receive the advertised appearance.

I like the new appearances, but I also liked them as they were before and the original version of the spymaster chest was perfect for my assassin. I finally nailed her look just right. Now the new top, while fine on its own merits, doesn't suit her at all.

Is there no way Bioware could have both sets of appearances in the game, in different versions of the item?

There are so many hooded robes in the game, we don't need more. The Phantom Chestguard was a beautiful addition to the game as it was even if it was unintended. Purely by accident, you created something that so many of us wanted - a sleek, black chestpiece without unnecessary adornment, perfect for colour-matching with any other item.

Give us the Accidental Perfection back, I beg you. I only bought it off the GTN because of the way it looked in game.

I agree with this statement so much that it is getting a double exposure.

The Phantom Chestguard was a beautiful addition to the game as it was even if it was unintended. Purely by accident, you created something that so many of us wanted - a sleek, black chestpiece without unnecessary adornment, perfect for colour-matching with any other item.

Give us the Accidental Perfection back, I beg you.

Bioware's handling of this is one of incompetence, not cruelty. Most developers actually want to make something that makes themselves and their customers happy. Shocking I know.

They first either used the wrong pictures on the cartel pack ads or added the wrong sets into the packs. They then attempted to fix it by dropping the "new" models on top of the "old" items since that's easier than replacing everyone's items; imagine the mess with installed mods/augments, GTN, banked items, unopened packs...

Bunch of messups, but none of it seems to be intended to "cheat" us.

BW is by far the most incompetent company by far. It saddens me to mention incompetence and BW in the same sentence, as I love their old games so much. I guess EA's incompetence is contagious. Just look at EA on the stockmarket.

BW is by far the most incompetent company by far. It saddens me to mention incompetence and BW in the same sentence, as I love their old games so much. I guess EA's incompetence is contagious. Just look at EA on the stockmarket.

Eh. I'm actually generally quite happy with TOR. I do think they need to hire a new art department though, as well as letting us get our hands on some of the good stuff that allready does exist. But yes, without being Mr. Dictionary since I'm sure someone will nitpick, I do feel they handled this whole thing incompetently.

Eh. I'm actually generally quite happy with TOR. I do think they need to hire a new art department though, as well as letting us get our hands on some of the good stuff that allready does exist. But yes, without being Mr. Dictionary since I'm sure someone will nitpick, I do feel they handled this whole thing incompetently.

Seems like all they do nowadays is damage control. Damage control. And more damage control. I think they need to hire a new community outreach department too.

Sorry but no, it's not his job to moderate the forum, it's his job to keep the hordes happy, engaged and informed, and that involves checking his facts before making any statement(s). Bottom line, he should _not_ have said it was an unintended change unless the devs told him it was unintended. He also said the change would be reversed; will that happen or did he pull that "fact" out of the same orifice?

Well you are right. He did rush to give some sort of answer before checking the facts. But on the other hand people should not instantly believe everything they see. The idea of unintentional change which is "unintentionally" noted in the patch notes sounds a bit odd.

This is correct. That post has been updated.

Joveth, can those of us that are so deeply disappointed in this change somehow get back the looks we love on both sets?? I really want those looks back, is there a way we can have them? It means a lot to quite a few of us.

Thanks.

This was an error on my part. I posted here as soon as I heard an answer before confirming with multiple parties. I shouldn't have posted with such haste, and in the future, I will be sure to make sure that information is 100% accurate. There is a delicate balance with timeliness and accuracy and I will be sure to watch for that in the future.