What went wrong? Why did SWTOR fail? Why it never killed WoW?

LukeRPWalker

What do you think? What were BW's biggest mistakes? What could it learn for the next MMORPG (if they ever produce another one after this awkward failure?)

Or was it even a failure? Was the target to kill WoW in the end?

My opinion:

- WORST Enginge ever (for a multi hundred million project) ability lag and performance issues are something that should not exist in a late 2011 "AAA" MMORPG

- Server instancing

- Too linear

- Too small servers

- Horrible endgame (raiding/PvP)

- Too much focus on story (okay, it's story driven, but this was way over the top)

- Too much attempt to copy WoW - going the safe way, no real new ideas to make people actually quit WoW and never miss it

Simply - lack of creativity, mediocrity in design and inexperience

What's your opinion?

It feels like the devs never did anything. Feels as if the voice actors did all the work.

that would make so much sense - the voice actors made the game-

its so simple- next time get actually programmers in Biowars- Voice actors as far as i am aware dont make the best coders..

Easy - they spent all the money on cheap concubines and blow... and market hype...

2more days. then the forums will clear up.

your post could have been good, cept your a fool who jumps on the wow killer bandwagon, that will not happen.

Oh right, because once all the naysayers leave the game will magically become good and working properly...

LMAO. Game is less than a month old and people are complaining that it "never" killed WoW?

Where the hell is this sort of "logic" coming from?

Did WoW kill EQ in a month? LOL. *facepalm*

Even in EGA there were guys saying "SWTOR WILL BE F2P IN TWO WEEKS" Now all they are are some distant memories in signatures *cough and point downwards*

I will go so far as to say: No MMO will kill WoW (Blizz does that all on their own).

I suspect there won't be an MMO with WoW sub numbers for years, if ever.

There are many factors why WoW has so high numbers. (Difference between asian and western payment and so on, HUGE fanboybase through Warcraft and so much more)

WoW is NOT a measure by which to judge success. It is like saying a 1,90m guy is small because there is a 2,10 guy right next to him. If you compare, compare to the same league, please.

Edited by Hiramas

Missing way WAY to many things that any AAA 2011 MMO has. Hell its even missing its own core mechanic the Legacy system. Seriously wanted to cry when I unsubbed today. I wanted to love this game so bad since I am a Star Wars super nerd but I just can't. Gonna cross my fingers for tera or GW2 :(

LMAO. Game is less than a month old and people are complaining that it "never" killed WoW?

Where the hell is this sort of "logic" coming from?

Did WoW kill EQ in a month? LOL. *facepalm*

hehe eq just released another expansion a few months ago =D

My opinion is that you are troll who will be gone tomorrow and so your opinion is meaningless. Enjoy reskinned WOW content from 6 years ago LMAO

Well, you know, the thing is, that reskinned content plays better, is more fun for a lot of people, and isn't burdened with the all the bugs, content inadequacies, server population issues, unplayable PVP scenarios, boring cut-scenes, meaningless yet time consuming choices, non-existent economies, terrible interfaces, lack of customization options, broken game mechanics, and general combat issues that this game has.

Oh, you're absolutely right . . . yes, everyone should stick around while Bioware keeps ******** the bed and taking our money.

0/10 troll attempt. "This game copied WoW" is like saying Halo copied Goldeneye 007 because one runs around and shoots people in both games. I love how people get so bold on forums and act like every game needs to be some drastic diversion from everything else. WoW was not even original when it came out, it borrowed from the games that came before it heavily. It simply combined those experiences into an easy-to-digest package with some great art design. How different is the subject matter of the renaissance masters? Does one argue the legitimacy of their art based on which one set brush to canvas first? Everyone was painting the Virgin Mary, but it didn't diminish the impact of the masterworks. SW:TOR has become a poor experience for people who blew through it as fast as possible, and it also suffers from a community that has unrealistic expectations for a video game. The great thing about SW:TOR is that you can get invested in your character and their backstory; without these elements MMOs are just dopamine switches that addict you to the next item grab. I am glad that this game offers more than that.

Just a little too early OP, SWTOR has not failed(yet). It has only failed in your head because you are disgruntled and unhappy and believe the majority of others feel the same. The true definition of a failure will not be known for another few months.

Easy - they spent all the money on cheap concubines and blow... and market hype...

Oh right, because once all the naysayers leave the game will magically become good and working properly...

No, but it will make the forums a bit better to read while at work =)

My opinion is that you are troll who will be gone tomorrow and so your opinion is meaningless. Enjoy reskinned WOW content from 6 years ago LMAO

What do you think the fundamentals of this game are based on...and what do you think will happen in this game?

Uncommon, common, rare, epic...legendary items...

Raiding...

Battlegrounds...

Normal modes...

Heroic modes...

Like seriously, are half the players here just playing this game to break from the social stigma that is World of Warcraft, that they ignore absolutely every difference and claim it is unique because of an unrelated aspect?

even though swtor is 6 years newer at least even if they are reskinned, they still look better than swtor low rez textures :rolleyes: