CE Dye - Unbound: Intended?

CelCawdro

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we care why? The color combinations they put on the CE and Security vendors were pretty horrific anyway.

You're right... lets go back to bragging on the other CE updates...and praising BW for really making the CE feel like it was worth the extra content it unlocked.

Oh.. Wait..

And we care why? The color combinations they put on the CE and Security vendors were pretty horrific anyway.

We care, because they said they were doing one thing, and appear to be doing the exact opposite... again.

As mentioned, hard to trust what they say, or feel that your subscription is valued.. if they don't do what they say they will.

Have to admit, I'd feel somewhat bad for the folks that fill their inventory tonight with CE and security vendor dyes in hopes of being able to sell the "old" version several months down the road only to find they have bags full of bound dyes.

Somewhat.

So let me see if I understand this correctly.

Originally the CE and SV dyes were intended to be bind on purchase. By mistake they did not lock them, so one was able to buy the dyes and sell them on the market.

When they discovered this they publicly stated two things.

1) We realize this was a mistake but now the cat is out of the bag so it is too late to correct it.

2) We will be adding a second dye to the CE vendor so CE folks will have an exclusive dye that will be bind on purchase.

Now, I have to note they were speaking only to the CE vendor dye issue. But the same issue existed for the SV, so I would expect they would probably have planned to do the same thing.

Now the patch notes indicate the exclusive dyes will be bind on pickup from now on.

There is no indication it is only the new dyes that will be effected.

If this is the case, they have decided to reverse a prior decision and, in fact, bind them after the fact.

It is not that much of an issue for me, but I have a concern that this will not bode well for Bioware overall...the only hope is that the current colors are not desired colors so the community will not be upset over this, but now that the colors are out and about the colors are not exactly "exclusive" anymore.

Not to mention that by warning us of this folks will simply log in and grab a bunch of copies before the patch is implemented.

This to me just seems like the wrong way to handle this situation.

Yep.... instead of leaving the issue alone for now & getting us a new dye that is BoP, they're going to...

1) make the CE holders mad by not giving us a replacement dye

2) make the rest of the player base angry - becuase the dye is no longer obtainable by them

3) make a whole lot of speculative buyers angry when they see they're holding a stack of bound dyes

4) make anyone who has one of these dyes in their inventory mad - because they can't mail this item to their alts, or sell it

5)....

Who does this make happy?

The art team at BW that was stuck with having to create the new dye for CE holders.

Hey folks,

This was not intended, so apologies for that. The goal was for them to be accessible to CE owners directly. However, we are not going to adjust the current Modules as "the cat is a bit out of the bag" on this one and it is already accessible to the rest of the playerbase via trade/sale. Plus, the Collector's Edition folks will still be able to control the economy on this.

However, I talked to the team and the next time we update Dye Modules in the game, we will add another Dye Module to the CE vendor which will be bind on purchase. This way you will still have the two current dyes which you guys control the market on and in the future you will be receiving a Dye Module exclusive to just you.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

-eric

Can you make sure to give the contraband resale a dye next time, feel spoke our vendor is being ignored.

We care, because they said they were doing one thing, and appear to be doing the exact opposite... again.

As mentioned, hard to trust what they say, or feel that your subscription is valued.. if they don't do what they say they will.

Yep. Again. However, is it really so surprising at this point? Revan mask in collections, 2.2 being huge content update, now this.

At this point I think it would be better if there was no info at all, rather than letting us realize everything they tell us could be false.

Yep. Again. However, is it really so surprising at this point? Revan mask in collections, 2.2 being huge content update, now this.

At this point I think it would be better if there was no info at all, rather than letting us realize everything they tell us could be false.

Sadly, it's not surprising. It almost seems like they think/hope we won't remember prior commitments they've made to us.

edit: I'm curious if we'll ever see any acknowledgement from the SWTOR team about this change going against their prior statements, or if we'll just be told the previous commitment was another "poor choice of words".

Edited by Kaywinnit

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Hey folks,

This was not intended, so apologies for that. The goal was for them to be accessible to CE owners directly. However, we are not going to adjust the current Modules as "the cat is a bit out of the bag" on this one and it is already accessible to the rest of the playerbase via trade/sale. Plus, the Collector's Edition folks will still be able to control the economy on this.

However, I talked to the team and the next time we update Dye Modules in the game, we will add another Dye Module to the CE vendor which will be bind on purchase. This way you will still have the two current dyes which you guys control the market on and in the future you will be receiving a Dye Module exclusive to just you.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

-eric

Quote:

Dye Modules purchased from the Security Key vendor and the Collector's Edition vendor are now Bind on Pickup.

Eric Musco care to comment on this? Bad choice of words? :rolleyes:

We care because Eric lied to us. Again.

You say he lied.

I say, he told the truth. And someone decided to change it, so it was changed.

You do realize that people can change decisions, right? And that Eric isn't the one making ANY of these decisions? You should stop trying to attack someone for no reason.

You say he lied.

You do realize that people can change decisions, right? And that Eric isn't the one making ANY of these decisions? You should stop trying to attack someone for no reason.

True, but then again people pay for a service and changing what has been once promissed... well lets just say it stinks and people don't like to be handled that way. I know I don't.

If ESO online will be good than it's bye bye TOR for me. My patience for these kind of decisions is over.

Edited by jankiel

True, but then again people pay for a service and changing what has been once promissed... well lets just say it stinks and people don't like to handled that way. I know I don't.

If ESO online will be good than it's bye bye TOR for me. My patience for these kind of decisions is over.

Good for you. ESO will make the same mistakes, guaranteed.

You are paying for an ongoing service that is constantly changing. If you cannot handle that, you shouldn't play subscription games.

You say he lied.

When you tell someone you are going to do X, and then you instead do Y, you have lied to that person. It's irrelevant what details precipitated the lie. With each lie, Eric's credibility takes a further hit. Soon they will need a new Community Manager because we will simply no longer believe anything He says.

This is a very simple concept. On May 14th, he told us the current dyes would remain BoE and the CE/SV folks could continue to have a market with them, but that in the future a new dye would be added to each that would Bind and therefore be exclusive.

In the intervening 16 days, something changed, which is not the problem. The problem is that Eric didn't have the integrity to come back and let us know about the change. If you tell paying customers one thing and that plan changes, its incumbent upon you, the developer/CM, to update the customers.

Don't lay responsibility for any of this on the community team, they don't make the decisions.

& it's not guaranteed that we WONT get a new dye, just as they said....

But it is awfully suspicious that they've pulled a 180 on what they said just a few weeks ago.

If a videogame causes you this much distress, you're gonna be in for a hard time once you move out into the real world.

Have no fear about my life. I guess I don't like lies since I'm an adult. A thing you might learn one day. :D :D :D

End off-topic

I guess it's hard to understand that I don't like being lied to? Meh.

So.

If your bank changes a policy, and doesn't give you a detailed explanation as to why -- did they lie to you?

If walmart says, "We accept all returns with a receipt!", but changes that policy for some reason -- did they lie to you?

EVERY company makes changes. They are NOT required to give you a detailed account of why they made said change. They are all within their legal right to make said changes. Change =\= lie.

Of course, it is perfectly fine if you feel they are making too many poor changes. In fact, it is very responsible of you to leave a game if you disagree with what the company is doing. But to call a PR rep a liar because something changed -- that is just ignorant.

Eric told us one thing would happen, and a different thing happen. That makes his statement on May 14th a lie. Did Eric intend to lie? I doubt it.

If he didn't intend to lie, then it wasn't a lie. A person cannot lie accidentally. That's called a mistake.

Feel free to disagree with me about whether or not it matters that Eric has lied to us after the fact, but leave the personal attacks at the door.

Wow, talk about yer irony.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I apologize for the delay in response but I wanted to understand exactly what happened before commenting. Here is what transpired and why your dyes ended up BoP.

As you know, when 2.1 went live the intent was that the CE vendor would have two exclusive dyes. We unfortunately released them as not being BoP, so that wasn't the case. As soon as we caught this the Cartel Market team created a bug fix, that bug fix was to have the dye modules correctly be BoP.

After some thought, we discussed with the Cartel Market team and determined the best course of action would be to leave the dyes as is. This way you folks could have something you control the market on! Then on top of that, make sure in a short timeframe to get new dyes added to your vendor which would be BoP and be exclusive to you. Once I had that decision in hand, I came and made the post which all of you saw explaining exactly that.

Now the question of what happened today. Well, as you can tell, what was originally a bug (dyes not being BoP) was fixed, even though it wasn't supposed to be. I am not positive where the disconnect happened but unfortunately that bug was addressed as a part of 2.1.1. I take full responsibility for this, when reviewing the patch notes for 2.1.1, I didn't notice that change was in there or I could have potentially caught it before it went live. Feel free to blame me for that one!

Looking forward, this is what we are going to do. We meant it when we said that we were planning to leave those alone. We will be removing BoP from those two dyes in 2.2. Currently the plan is you will see two new dye modules going on the CE vendor with Game Update 2.2.

I apologize for any confusion.

TLDR: A bug fix unfortunately happened after we decided to leave it as is and I didn't catch it before it went live. In 2.2 they will revert back to not being BoP and in our current plan, you will see two new BoP dyes on the CE vendor.

-eric

Thank you Eric!

And, can I just say -- I find it absolutely hilarious that you guys fixed a bug that you actually don't want to fix. :D

And, I feel really bad for the QA/Dev team, for having to revert a bug fix. That is going to be a pain.

Edited by Kilora

So, a version of the game you cannot even get anymore let's people get a dye you cannot get with out getting the version of the game you cannot get anymore.....:rolleyes:

Why not let people buy it and sell on GTN? Is it the end of the world if people could? No.