Promotions: Jorgen or Dorne?

SevTrando

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Garza: Since Droids cannot hold rank...

Captain Rico: Wait! What the heck? You want me to trust one of these yahoos? M1-4X is the only member of this squad that I can count on.

I wish there would have been a way to give the promotion to 4X; he's the only one who truly seems to endorse the Republic and doesn't get angry with me for following the commands of my superior officers. If I'm going to trust a new Lt, I want it to be someone who knows how to follow orders.

In the end, since I had to give it to one of those two insubordinates, I went ahead and promoted Dorne. The XO's primary duty is to maintain the ship and keep the other troops in line while I'm away on field missions with M1-4X. Dorne seemed the most logical choice to leave in charge of the vital task of overseeing everyone's crafting.

i rather have someone who thinks for themselves not a robot who follows orders blindly

I'm going with Jorgan.

Elara is the companion I use, and you can't have both the CO and the XO running around facing the same dangers together. This isn't Star Trek, where the top three officers are always on the away team. If the CO gets KIA, the XO needs to be somewhere else so he doesn't suffer the same fate and is available to step right up to command what's left of the squad.

Also, my Trooper plans to romance Elara, and he's not going to promote his girlfriend when there's another perfectly viable option available. Especially when Jorgan was unjustly demoted in the first place, just because somebody's head needed to roll. No, he earned his former position fair and square, and I'm giving it back to him to right that injustice, not perpetuating it by engaging in nepotism. Just imagine what that'd do for squad morale if I went the other way.

Edited by nateslice

I promoted Jorgan purely for practical in-game reasons.

It gained me almost 400 affection with him for the entire conversation while only losing 2 with Elara Dorne.

Since I don't use his worthless *** in the game his affection will never go up in a normal manner.

Jorgan definitely does not deserve a promotion. He argues with you all the time, disagrees with your command decisions, and criticizes you at every opportunity. Jorgan is proof that you can be a great killing machine, but a TERRIBLE officer. In a real unit if you made Jorgan your XO you would end up sitting for a court-martial and in military prison.

Elara's by-the-book attitude would be more likely to keep you out of prison than if you didn't have her available.

• 2 weeks later...
What about Tanno Vik?

Thanks

This decision comes at the end of Act I before you have Yuun or Vik. On my first Trooper I went with Jorgan, but my Vanguard is going with Elara. Ultimately, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference and you don't need to feel too bad about not correcting the injustice Jorgan suffered because:

After Act II, the whole crew (except my bro Forex :mad:) gets promoted. Your XO to Captain and the others to Lieutenant.

• 1 month later...
Jorgen could be more experience and so on, but ... whole Havoc Squad defected under his nose and he had no clue. So, that's make him worst officer ever in my eyes. So Dorne is my XO.

True, he had no clue. But would "you" have had a clue?

Jorgen was assisting Havoc squad with recovering a bomb. Havoc squad was working towards that objective and even had the rookie (the player) assisting and gathering information. Nothing Havoc squad did until they went "silent" would have seemed untoward to anyone. Jorgen even made the right call in sending the last available member of Havoc squad (the player) to go find out what happened and finish the mission if needed. Jorgen didn't "fail" in anyway, but someone had to pay (someone *ALWAYS* has to pay) for the defection and he got hit with the hammer.

So, you might not choose him because you don't like him or because Dorne was prettier (or whatever ;)). However, accusing him of being "incompetant" just shows the same "intelligence" that led to him getting hit with the hammer over Havoc's defection.

Haven't been playing very long and plan on finishing up my vanguard right after I get done with my sage. From what I have seen and from prior military expirience this is what I think.

There were plenty of indicators they were going to go rogue. The fact that not many even knew of the bomb and that they deflected any questioning of finding the mole was a pretty good one.

Jorgen is a jerk hands down and nowhere close to officer material. You excelled at academy, got choosen to be on the most elite squad in the rupublic, yet Jorgen treats you like dirt right off the bat without ever seeing what you're capable of. This is a blaring indication of bad leadership. Respect the rank not the person, comes yo mind with every dealing with him. He been with me for a while and got screwed earlier is not a good reason to promote someone. If he wasn' t forced on me I wouldn' t even have him on my team.

As for a second in command? I plan on running like Sheppard from Mass Effect. As an XO I need someone who eill balance out my command style but except my decisions. That makes it a pretty clear choiceas Dorne being the only logical choice. Yo

• 2 weeks later...

Both sides make good points:

Jorgen-he has been in the republic military for years, longer than Dorne, so he knows what needs to be done and get it done.

Dorne-she has more knowledge of the enemy than anyone, and knows every regulation in the Republic army's book.

in the end, I let the general decide, and she chose Jorgen.

True, he had no clue. But would "you" have had a clue?

Jorgen was assisting Havoc squad with recovering a bomb. Havoc squad was working towards that objective and even had the rookie (the player) assisting and gathering information. Nothing Havoc squad did until they went "silent" would have seemed untoward to anyone. Jorgen even made the right call in sending the last available member of Havoc squad (the player) to go find out what happened and finish the mission if needed. Jorgen didn't "fail" in anyway, but someone had to pay (someone *ALWAYS* has to pay) for the defection and he got hit with the hammer.

So, you might not choose him because you don't like him or because Dorne was prettier (or whatever ;)). However, accusing him of being "incompetant" just shows the same "intelligence" that led to him getting hit with the hammer over Havoc's defection.

Have to agree with ZeroPlus here. Defectors don't generally advertise they're going to the other side, and Jorgan was brought in to "assist" Havoc with the bomb recovery. He didn't serve with them, or bunk with them, he was merely a coordinator of sorts between the different squad members. The "Rookie" (us) had no clue either until we confronted Havoc at the end of the Prologue. Jorgan does get a raw deal but the alternative was much worse-court martial. If you play the responses correctly during chapter 1 you get a chance to get to know him better, to see his qualities and experience and start to earn his respect. To that end and for other reasons I'll keep to myself, I promoted Aric bringing him back to his starting point and giving him the opportunity to make Captain later on. I don't trust Dorne, she's not a good fighter and would much rather have Aric at my back.

I'm only at lv 40 right now and finishing up some side stuff before I start Chapter 3. However I can tell you that I don't regret my decision to promote Aric, and am quite excited to see what happens next. SSHH ... don't tell me ! LOL

Ultimately it doesn't really matter, but I've promoted Elara on both of my troopers. If it were possible, I'd promote them both and have Elara be the XO, but since you you get only one promotion and the XO position comes with it....

For me, they're both qualified from a combat/skills point of view (I counted Elara's Imperial experience since it was still military/combat experience and it would be relevant to special ops like Havoc Squad,). Ouside of combat...I felt bad about Aric's demotion, but his constant complaining (and insults/comments towards my trooper) were annoying to begin with and seemed more out of place when compared to Elara's reaction to everything that happened to her starting with her defection. I guess - on a personal level - I found that type of maturity really admirable..

So with all that in mind, they were both qualified based on their combat experience but Elara came out ahead on 'intangibles'/maturity (whatever you want to call it), plus my trooper was also a bit snarky/loose with the rules, so I figured Elara would be helpful in keeping her out of trouble there too.

My trooper made it up to Aric later anyway *cough* :o

Meta/later stuff that also factored into my second trooper:

(1) If you choose Elara, Aric has a petulant conversation with you where he complains about not getting picked, which came across as rather childish

(2) He gets promoted to lieutenant anyway, so the rank bit worked out for him. He didn't deserve the demotion, and that got fixed, if a bit late.

(3) On my consular, I finally got Iresso, whose description of Jorgan's command was....mixed (he got the job done and did it well but was extremely unpleasant to deal with for everyone on the squad).

Aric definitely comes across a lot better as the story progresses, though.

Edited by Lesaberisa

As for a second in command? I plan on running like Sheppard from Mass Effect. As an XO I need someone who eill balance out my command style but except my decisions. That makes it a pretty clear choiceas Dorne being the only logical choice. Yo

Tee-hee. Dorne doesn't accept logical decision making. She only approves of decisions that are goody-goody. Even if they're clearly stupid decisions. If you're passing on Jorgan simply because you don't "like" him then that really doesn't say much about your abilities to make decisions either, to be honest.

Tee-hee. Dorne doesn't accept logical decision making. She only approves of decisions that are goody-goody. Even if they're clearly stupid decisions. If you're passing on Jorgan simply because you don't "like" him then that really doesn't say much about your abilities to make decisions either, to be honest.

Wasn't she the one that said "Kill that man who surrendered!"

(3) On my consular, I finally got Iresso, whose description of Jorgan's command was....mixed (he got the job done and did it well but was extremely unpleasant to deal with for everyone on the squad).

Granted, but I'd personally consider it generous to describe Iresso's command style as pathetic.

I actually have 2 troopers, a commando and a vanguard. They ended up promoting different people. When thinking of the promotion, I mostly thought what would actually fit the personality of my character (yeah, I always make up a personality for my characters and pick convo options based on that personality).

My commando...he's just über-good. He does as the law says, he does as the senate says, the only thing he doesn't seem to obey is Garza, and that's because he always wants to do the "good" thing. He's stupidly honest and seems to be blaming himself for everything that goes wrong. From these two, Elara is the one that he would trust the most, because she also honours the ideals of the republic and doesn't put missions above what's right.

In the other hand, my vanguard is a tough girl. She's confident, maybe even a little arrogant, and if someone doesn't do as good as she expects them to do, she will tell it to them. She's ready to get pretty mean or break the rules if it get's the job done. From her point of view, Elara is too rule-oriented and maybe also a little too soft to be her xo. She would trust that Aric would get the job done.

I promoted Dorne, cause cat face was a dick to me in the beginning.

Ha ha ha loved this ....anyways Cat face has had my back since the start so he will get promoted besides that other bimbo is so upity and no f-ing way I am promoting an ex IMp ....

Jorgan

I use Dorne all the time, but Jorgan just seemed like the logical choice. He got screwed over because of the actions of Havoc squad. Plus he reminds me of Garrus.

^^ glad im not the only one who thought of Garrus : ) It's probably the main reason I enjoy having him around.

So he got promoted... He's been there from the beginning and knows his stuff.. and like others have said, a medic who is fresh to the Republic has no business being XO.

Aside from that he is also my main side-kick... I play Vanguard and have been using him for most of grind to cut through the mobs faster. I only use Dorne when there is a difficult end-boss / prolonged fight. - M.

If you want to Metagame it for the affection instead of caring about the story, Jorgen is the more difficult to affection up. His conversation hits are smaller (15 instead of 22) so it takes more agreeing with him throughout the game in order to get him up there. Also his preferred gift is Weapons, which is one of the more high demand gift types across all companions, while Dorne is cool with Luxury which tends to run a bit cheaper (and she even likes Courting if you're male, which those are dirt cheap).

Overall, that big boost of affection for giving Jorgen the bump back to LT is expensive to make up elsewhere, both in gifts and lengthy stretches of playing him for conversations, while Dorne is relatively easy to cap out.

And if you're Male and you are going to miss out on all the points for Romancing Jorgen through the companion conversations, then giving him the promotion doesn't even come close to narrowing the gap on what you're going to miss out on.

Then again, when I played, I gave Jorgen the promotion just because I was male and I didn't want to seem unprofessional by promoting my girlfriend over a guy who had already held the rank once.

Not got to this stage yet, but I think I am going to promote Jorgen, the sole reason being as although he was a git to my PC in the begining in my eyes he redeemed himself when he was prepared to ignore orders from Tavis to send me in to complete the mission, though I wish there was a option to say to him at that point that I was going anyway.