PvP and PvE Armor Design: Why Bioware's Design Aesthetic is Fundamentally Flawed

TitusVorenus

The first time I saw a Sorc with one of those pointy witches hats, not sure what armor set it is, PvE set of some sort, I just fell about laughing, kind of broke the game immersion a little bit, lol

Then we could mention the Mara armor that has Metal Working vices on the shoulders, lol

"Hang on Darth, I just need to cut this 3 quarter inch cooper tube, got a leaky rad, then i'll be right with ya for some killing"

Fantastic post OP :)

And tbh, I think they simply ran out of time, because some of the armor as you state is very very good, but yes, the end game armor is truly horrific, both PvP and PvE.

Yep, the pointy witch hats are the Sorc pve tier helms >_<

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU!

I have said these kinds of things about Star Wars for years! Star Wars, especially the original trilogy, was always a dirty, used universe. It wasnt shiny or smooth.

And while I do like the Sith armors myself, and I belive one of the trooper ones, I just dont like a lot of the others. ESPECIALLY the bright colors. And whoever designed the grasshopper jedi needs to just...not design armor.

Also, on a personal note, I hate the color orange when it comes to clothing. I REALLY hate that they seem to use orange a TON in this game.

Only one point in defence of "new and shiny objects".

First i'll say that i agree with the OP, don't like the new and shiny style that the game has given us so far, BUT

(Ned Stark: Someone told me that everything that is before the word "BUT" doesn't count)

I remember our old loving george saying that the first films everything was old and used and all the things the OP said, but the prequels are no longer this way. He wanted to give Star Wars a shiny and new look to reflect that a period of peace WAS GOING to be broken. That's why we see in Episode I Naboo starships with elegant designs, polished finishes, that's why we see R2 perfectly shinig, Amidala with robes that doesn't allow you to move, that's why palpatine's chambers, although dark, are clean and have a great landscape window. And when you get to episode 2 and 3, everything becomes used and darker, clone armor begin to be filled with scratches, dirt, vehicles are increasingly dirty, so you can see that the clone wars have made an effect on military and environement. now we should consider: Are we at war or are we at pre-war period? I could then see that shiny things fit to Fleet, Coruscant or Nar Shadda, but of course not to Balmorra or Tatooine.

They've already said that they've heard the complaints about the armor designs and will seek to make them more in tune with other Star Wars designs in the future. The only thing is that armor designs are usually created a couple sets ahead of what we actually have, so the next couple tiers of designs are going to be within the same mold...but after that they'll be more in line with what we want to see.

So...rejoice! We'll be getting more sensible armor sets after a couple more strange ones.

The upshot of all this is that, for all its fantastical nature, everything in Star Wars is firmly grounded in a form of reality, allowing us to accept them without a second thought because things just look the way they're "supposed" to. We can see ourselves piloting an X-Wing, or running around on a battlefield in stormtrooper armor.

I have to completely disagree with this statement. One of the things I hate most about the Star Wars universe is how everything just feels wrong. The ships, the buildings, everything. None of it feels realistic or like it's "supposed" to look. Star Wars is one of the most unrealistic universes there is and it takes a great deal of willing suspension of disbelief to enjoy it because there's just so much that feels wrong.

On topic of the poor armour design though, I'm sort of on the fence on this one. There are quite a few end game sets that do looks really terrible, particularly on the Republic side. There's also some really horrible sets just floating around the game, but that's to be expected of all MMOs. There are also some really cool looking end game sets and some social gear that is just awesome.

The problem, as I see it, is that BioWare is both constrained with the armour they can design but also has a great deal of freedom. They're constrained with the design of end game combat gear because, going by what's in the movies, Jedi and Sith just stick to robes for the most part, maybe some robotics, and a brown or black colour scheme, Troopers wear plain white armour and Smugglers wear some leather rags. On the other hand BioWare have a lot of freedom because Star Wars is full of a lot of cool outfits that they can turn into social gear. I mean just look at the stuff Padme wears in both the films and The Clone Wars tv show. The thing is those sorts of clothing are better suited to non combat so it makes awesome social gear but wouldn't make much sense as end game pve/pvp gear.

The only thing BioWare can do to try and keep end game gear interesting and still feel like it fits with Star Wars is to try and combine the two things I mentioned above. Have all the gear coloured brown and black and be the traditional robes, cyborg armour and leather rags worn by the characters in the films but combine it with the more stylish flare of civilian clothing and draw inspiration from the fantasy genre, samurai and witches and stuff, that's a major part of the Star Wars universe. This is what they've been doing but so far it hasn't really worked. This is because some of the gear design has just been terrible but also because a lot of fans seem unwilling to accept anything but the traditional robes, plain white armour etc, even though having the Jedi wear samurai looking armour or Sith wear witch/shaman looking gear fits into the lore of the Star Wars universe quite nicely.

I have to completely disagree with this statement. One of the things I hate most about the Star Wars universe is how everything just feels wrong. The ships, the buildings, everything. None of it feels realistic or like it's "supposed" to look. Star Wars is one of the most unrealistic universes there is and it takes a great deal of willing suspension of disbelief to enjoy it because there's just so much that feels wrong.

I'd appreciate if you'd explain why you feel this way, because on the surface it just doesn't make sense. Of all science fiction, it looks the most like something I could expect to be reality. It just doesn't make any sense to me that someone could think it looks "wrong."

On topic of the poor armour design though, I'm sort of on the fence on this one. There are quite a few end game sets that do looks really terrible, particularly on the Republic side. There's also some really horrible sets just floating around the game, but that's to be expected of all MMOs. There are also some really cool looking end game sets and some social gear that is just awesome.

The problem, as I see it, is that BioWare is both constrained with the armour they can design but also has a great deal of freedom. They're constrained with the design of end game combat gear because, going by what's in the movies, Jedi and Sith just stick to robes for the most part, maybe some robotics, and a brown or black colour scheme, Troopers wear plain white armour and Smugglers wear some leather rags. On the other hand BioWare have a lot of freedom because Star Wars is full of a lot of cool outfits that they can turn into social gear. I mean just look at the stuff Padme wears in both the films and The Clone Wars tv show. The thing is those sorts of clothing are better suited to non combat so it makes awesome social gear but wouldn't make much sense as end game pve/pvp gear.

The only thing BioWare can do to try and keep end game gear interesting and still feel like it fits with Star Wars is to try and combine the two things I mentioned above. Have all the gear coloured brown and black and be the traditional robes, cyborg armour and leather rags worn by the characters in the films but combine it with the more stylish flare of civilian clothing and draw inspiration from the fantasy genre, samurai and witches and stuff, that's a major part of the Star Wars universe. This is what they've been doing but so far it hasn't really worked. This is because some of the gear design has just been terrible but also because a lot of fans seem unwilling to accept anything but the traditional robes, plain white armour etc, even though having the Jedi wear samurai looking armour or Sith wear witch/shaman looking gear fits into the lore of the Star Wars universe quite nicely.

This confuses me even more, because one of the big reasons people hate end game gear is because it's basically nothing like what you would expect from Star Wars at all. It doesn't look like they borrowed a thing from the established Star Wars aesthetic, but drew all of their ideas from other places entirely.

I do agree I find a lot of the end game gear goofy and not fitting within the starwars universe. (specify the new war hero/black hole gear). But after playing a 50 for so long I've gotten used to the look of my battle master/columi gear. Hopefully I'll be able to get used to my augmented traditional nylite robes when I get the gear to swap the mods into.

I don't want to quote your whole wall of text OP, but I agree with it. Lucas was a s**t writer but a damn fine cinematographer. Too bad he lost his edge with the invention of green screen. Star Wars, also known as A New Hope for those who haven't been with us since 1977, was a beautiful movie. Lucas was spot on in his attempt to portray, as you have said, a lived in universe. I remember reading the story about how when the R2 chassis arrived in Tunisia, he took them off the truck and rolled them in the dirt. Genius.

Most people, I've seen, want what they see in the comics and the films. What BioWare has given us is an attempt to further copy WoW. I want my BH to have the standard mando armor of the SWTOR period. I want my Twi'lek Sith inquisitor Assassin to have leather looking pants (curse you BW and your stinking dresses for light armor), a bikini top and a gosh darn lek'ku wrap. Is that too much to ask? And I'd like my Rakata set bonuses to go with it.

. This is because some of the gear design has just been terrible but also because a lot of fans seem unwilling to accept anything but the traditional robes, plain white armour etc, even though having the Jedi wear samurai looking armour or Sith wear witch/shaman looking gear fits into the lore of the Star Wars universe quite nicely.

Really? Darth Vader wore witch/shaman looking gear. Darth Maul? Count Dooku? Oh, you mean just because Palpantine wore long robes, oh, o.k.

Very nice post.

Playing the devils advocate , RIFT went with the toned down look in the early months. People said "The armor is so blah." 10/11 months later they added some flash (to their credit though, most of the armor still looked functional.)

All in all I just feel BW should have went against the grain much more than they did. idk /:(

While I agree with the OP, you do have to realize there is a design issue here, and that is the idea of progression in an MMO. When you start you should have crappy, boring armor, and by the end you should be looking epic and ******. That's where you run into problems with the 'lived-in sci-fi world', because you're absolutely right, every major hero in Star Wars DOESN'T look flashy and special. I mean, Han Solo wears a vest for all 3 movies for god's sake.

So now you have a problem, because you want armor in a game to represent some status. And it doesn't really reflect that if now you're this ****** 50 in full rakata and all you have is a dingy black robe.

I think the endgame stuff looks hideous too, but I can see where Bioware ran into the issue of designing armor fit for high end gear, and trying to stay true to Star Wars. I definitely think they are taking the right approach by having the mods be removable and added to orange gear.

If you watch the OLD clone wars cartoon. NOT THE 3D one you got some good examples there I mean look at obi wan he is wearing trooper armor mixed with jedi robes aim for that kind of look bioware if you want an armor/robe look for jedi.

But that is what jedi wear, wheter you like it or not...

That's not always the case. There are plenty of examples in actual SW cannon where Jedi characters are wearing something other than a simple brown robe. Just because all you know is from the movies doesn't mean that they can't wear something else. Besides, this game doesn't take place in the same time frame as the movies, so a little leeway is justified.

Honestly, I think most of the people who are complaining that the armors don't fit SW lore don't really know much about SW lore outside of the movies. If people actually look at the cannon of the entire SW universe they will find armor sets just as outlandish or different from what you are used to seeing in just the movies.

Basically people are taking a very narrow minded view of what Star Wars is. Take off the original trilogy blinders and you'll find there is a precedent for the end game armor sets.