Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

It's essential for grouping,Flashpoints etc.So people can tell who to heal and who to attacok in Pvp/Pve without having to look at the chat window.Plus it would be nice to have.I mean you got subtitles,but not Chat bubbles,which are similar in some ways.I hope chat bubbles comes soon:cool: Edited by Lavariusstar

Bubbles are very much needed. Especially for the RP servers, which are 99% free of RP due to the lack of chat bubbles at the moment.
Agreed. It's so sad, too. There are so many roleplayers that have been stoked to roleplay on their own RP servers everywhere and in the open while doing all the wonderful things this game has to offer and now they simply can't find roleplay anywhere there. Even if they try hard to do it, they simply can't, unless somewhere secluded and even then it's not easy without chat bubbles.

Many are thinking to quit the game after their 30 days of free playtime are up until Bioware finally adds chat bubbles. It's such a shame, such a shame. :(

So please, Bioware, add this "high priority launch option" to enable chat bubbles for /say, /yell, /emote chat in the next patch/hotfix.

Edited by Meluna

It's essential for grouping,Flashpoints etc.So people can tell who to heal and who to attacok in Pvp/Pve without having to look at the chat window.Plus it would be nice to have.I mean you got subtitles,but not Chat bubbles,which are similar in some ways.I hope chat bubbles comes soon:cool:
That's a very good point.

http://www.darthhater.com/forums/forum-home/general-discussion/24028-chat-bubbles-aa-and-more

Not sure if this works I never actually tried it, just seen it before thought I would link incase this helps someone in this thread.

No, enabling chat bubbles this way doesn't work on the live client, unfortunately. :( Edited by Glzmo

There was a thread (which I shamelessly stole most of the top post from) that Mr. Zoeller himself responded to in which he said chat bubbles were a high priority for launch. Everyone that paid attention to the topic in the general beta forums during the last couple of weeks of beta knows it.

Actually Zoeller had made it pretty clear that it was a high priority POST launch. ie: After they deal with the initial post launch bug squashing and holidays. I doubt we see it until sometime in mid to late January.

Hm, well. I must have remembered it wrong then. James Ohlen did say they were trying to get it done in time for launch however.

Hopefully it will be before the 30 days of free playtime are up, otherwise we may be loosing a lot of roleplayers and other people that depend on chat bubbles, which would be a shame.

I'm commander frigidman, and I support chat bubbles.

They did say during beta, chat bubbles were a high priority. However ever since then, we've seen nothing done towards the effect. So, we continue to make threads like this, to let the community voice the need.

Naysayers can naysay all they want. Luckily they are a teeny minority on the subject.

Hopefully it will be before the 30 days of free playtime are up, otherwise we may be loosing a lot of roleplayers and other people that depend on chat bubbles, which would be a shame.

Yeah, like it or not, there are many star wars roleplayers exiled from SWG who have grown so accustomed to existing solely in chat bubbles. I know people here in swtor want to turn a blind eye and somehow magically think no one here came from swg, but they have, and they are here as part of the community.

If a game as old as that was able to pull off bubbles so well... how come a new game like this cannot? I can only hope the delay is because Bioware are really making them awesome. And not some cheap knockoff like you see in LotRO, W**, AoC, et al.

Bubbles are very much needed. Especially for the RP servers, which are 99% free of RP due to the lack of chat bubbles at the moment.

Im going to have to disagree with you here. The reason imo that there is limited RP on RP servers atm is because so many people treated them as overflow servers due to the queues on other servers.

A few points...

1) If it turns out that most people don't like them (I don't myself), if I and all these others turn them off it won't address the issue that you say something and get ignored.

2) There's a zero-sum game of which issues the devs have time to work on. Since I don't care about chat bubbles (nor combat logs, add-ons, nor mods), by them spending time of this that takes away from those things I'd like to get added, it's to my detriment. So that is why it's not just a "if you don't like, don't use it" thing.

3) In combat, what kind of chat bubble would you like? One that sits over people's and mobs heath/activation bars, or one that sits under them and is unreadable?

There's one way I *might* use chat bubbles, and that is if I could turn them on for individual characters (i.e., a whitelist, not a blacklist). I guess I could see in a non-combat situation that it's easier to read. But then again, since I'm looking intently at the chat window while I'm typing, there's a good chance I'll miss your chat bubble until after I send my line, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a good conversation. Frankly, I MUD/MUSH a lot, and find nothing wrong with scrolling text.

If it's hard to read the chat window because there's "too much going on", there's a possibility that the screen would be too filled with chat bubbles too. Why not do this: make a new chat tab, deselect the global channels (like general, etc). Maybe even deselect other system channels. And if there's still too much general chat going on, group up and make a party-only chat tab.

/signed please add them.

To answer the poster above me, that is a very simple fix. Simply if chat bubbles are turned off it shows the players text in the chat box :p.

Actually, what you'd type in /say, /yell and /emote chat would pop up in the chat box as well as in the chat bubble above your character's head at the same time anyway. If you had the chat bubbles turned off, it would only show in the chatbox like it's now, of course. It's simply a matter of adding the chat bubble GUI to display the same text that goes inside a spatial chat channel above the appropriate character's head.

The developers said during beta that adding chat bubbles for spatial chat was a high priority feature for launch. I am baffled as to why they haven't delivered.

I would guess they looked at it and saw how terrible, cheesey they looked and decided against it (hopefully)

All I know is that without chat bubbles, it's incredibly hard to talk to other players near you and not fun at all. I can't socialize and roleplay with other players (I tried hard, but it didn't work).

I've been playing since the beta and haven't had a problem once. I also play other MMOs and if they have a chat bubble choice I've had it turned off.

For me, chat bubbles are an important feature. I want to keep track of the action in the game and see which character talks right away. I am a roleplayer and roleplaying with others while questing and doing other game things is almost impossible because there are no chat bubbles (I tried very hard, but it just doesn't work).

I always miss most of the things people type in /say, /yell and /emote chat, the chat window moves too fast at times, too and it's hard to see which character on the screen is speaking or to link the chat to the characters on the screen. I want to focus on the game, not on the chat window.

Really there are a lot of RPers that do fine without it and besides if you are on a non RP server who wants to see chat bubbles from RPers any way? And if you are on a RP server you should all be in character anyways and have a tab for Out Of Character chat so no need for chat bubbles.

I've done Flashpoints, Warzones and never had a problem comunicating with teammates and I watch SWTOR livestreams and they don't seem to have problems either.

I also don't want to go into populated areas and see the place jammed with lame chat bubbles. I've seen that before where they fill the room so bad that you have no other choice but to go and read the chatbox which would defeat the purpose of chat bubbles.

I have pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, but if there won't be any chat bubbles at least announced in the next couple of days, I will cancel the pre-order and not play the game until chat bubbles are added. They are just that important for my enjoyment of the game to me. And I really, really want to have fun when playing SWTOR.

Please cancel your subscription because if you aren't going to play and sit here and complain about something so stupid as chat bubbles I personally don't think this game needs someone so immature in this game. There are enough of you already. Take your ball and go back to WoW.

That all being said like someone else said I don't care if its added as long as it can be disable for people that don't want to see all that garbage ruining this beautiful game.

... snip ...

This is why they invented something called 'options'. So those tiny few like you can turn great features off.

Your myopic attitude that "since I hate it for whatever reason I came up with, no one else in the world should have what they desire" is tired and boring. You clearly have not played well in a community with others, with such an attitude.

Take care.

Edited by Frigidman

Greetings, Bioware developers working on Star Wars: The Old Republic!

We really, really need a client-side option to enable chat bubbles for /say and possibly /yell and /emote chat to appear above character's heads and display the text that they type into those chat channels.

Socializing, roleplaying and even multiplayer combat, both PVE and PVP with other players is incredibly tedious without them.

Many people prefer to have their eyes on the action, which means they miss the chat around them when they focus on the action. Some choose to focus on the chat and miss the action entirely - forget to heal their mates, etc..

That's why we need an option to turn on chat bubbles (speech bubbles). Make it an optional toggle on/off option so every user can decide for themselves if they want chat bubbles to show on their client or not.

There are some visually impaired people that would thank you for chat bubbles as well.

Also, if there are indeed performance issues with the speech bubbles still (reportedly, that's why Bioware removed them during beta), a toggle option will give the users a chance to either sacrifice performance for playability and turn the chat bubbles on or turn them off and gain some performance.

Everybody wins! So please, developers, I beg you dearly to add chat bubbles already, they are an essential part of MMOs for many players. Thank you very much!

Definitely need chat bubbles. We've been yelling for it since beta.