Is it true that they removed lots of different looking gear before release?

Merwanor

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from many people saying that there where lots of different models and variations of gear on Beta, like social medium and heavy armor sets and just much more variety. I am not sure what I have heard is true, but watching trailers for the game makes me wonder because there are many armors on trailers and screenshots that I have yet to see anywhere in the game.

I am playing a Jedi Knight and I find it very odd that there are almost no non-hooded armors in the game. Even though most of the trailers and screenshots are of Jedi Knights with armors with their hoods down.

So is this true, was there more variety on beta? And if so, why on earth where they removed from the game I wonder, as it seems SWTOR really lacks variety in how people look.

They removed a lot of things in Beta one thing they removed that irked me was trading up planetary commendations 2:1 ratio when you move to a new planet you can trade up comms so you could buy gear for your actual level and not have a bunch of useless comms sitting in your currency tab like they are now... plus they removed a lot of player titles as well, every planet that is finished by doing all the quest you would get a planetary title (ex. Destroyer Of Balmorra ) if I remember that correctly.

It seemed in beta they removed a lot of cool stuff and replaced it with WoW streamline bs that didnt really need.

Agree that, while performance wasn't great in beta, it was better than any retail version. The patch released on 2/9 has worsened my performance. 4 crashes today, none prior, at least since they fixed the space station exploding hangar crash (week 1/2?). They can't even fix winning warzones counting for daily quests. I mean what is going on. They got some good devs from swg, some of the ones who turned swg from nge 1.0 into nge 2/3 with real content and fewer bugs. And lord knows that swg's engine was a cluster of crazy systems where touching 1 thing affected 3-30 others.

They removed a lot of things in Beta one thing they removed that irked me was trading up planetary commendations 2:1 ratio when you move to a new planet you can trade up comms so you could buy gear for your actual level and not have a bunch of useless comms sitting in your currency tab like they are now... plus they removed a lot of player titles as well, every planet that is finished by doing all the quest you would get a planetary title (ex. Destroyer Of Balmorra ) if I remember that correctly.

It seemed in beta they removed a lot of cool stuff and replaced it with WoW streamline bs that didnt really need.

Yeah, the commendation trading cut annoys me, too. People like to claim that it was to prevent farming low level comms and trading up for top-end gear too easily, but simple math will tell you that it wasn't possible to do so.

Let's say (Republic side):

Starter world = you farm 100 comms

Croissant = 50

Taris = 25

Nar Shadaa = 12

Tat = 6

Alderaan = 3

Balmora = 1

Farming 100 comms on the starter world won't even buy you a mod by the time you reach Tat. There is no possible abuse here. It was just another example of removing a convenience for no logical reason. . . except maybe yet another coding limitation. They removed the exchange in the same build that they converted comms from physical objects in your inventory into currency on a separate tab. I wouldn't be surprised if they just couldn't figure out how to code a swapping mechanism.

Instead, we sit with mountains of starter world and capitol world comms in your currency tab because there is absolutely no reason to buy anything from those two worlds.

I beta tested 4 builds and I remember that there seemed to be a lot more armor variations.

I especially remember the PvP armors. There was more variation if I remember correctly and they even looked better.

Plus you could buy a new piece every level or two. Not like now where you only get a full set at level 20, 40 and then level 50 sets.

For example, in Beta- You could buy a set of boots at level 12, then a Chest piece opened up at level 14, then a Helmet at 16, ect ect.

Then it would start over with being able to buy upgraded pvp boots at say, level 22 or something.

So you could actually pvp for gear as you leveled. Not pvp for gear that you couldnt even buy untill you hit level 20 and then not again untill 40 or higher.

Personally I liked the old system better

Reading all these posts is making me sad, I can't believe a company like Bioware could do something like this. I have always praised them as one of the best game developers out there.

Normally the things they cut out of the game, to add later they call Payable DLC, they cannot do it in this game, since we pay subscription so they introduce the "content patches".

For example, if a major content patch comes within a month of the game release, just few days after the initial 30 free day peroid ends it means they could have had released it with the retail version. However since there are no payable DLC's they use other ways to keep the users interested before the next "time to pay" proid.

First content patch - after 30 free days.

Second content patch - march, around 90 days after release, probably will be released few days after the 60 day prepaid runs out, so those who want to see it will have to pay again.

Yeah, the commendation trading cut annoys me, too. People like to claim that it was to prevent farming low level comms and trading up for top-end gear too easily, but simple math will tell you that it wasn't possible to do so.

Let's say (Republic side):

Starter world = you farm 100 comms

Croissant = 50

Taris = 25

Nar Shadaa = 12

Tat = 6

Alderaan = 3

Balmora = 1

Farming 100 comms on the starter world won't even buy you a mod by the time you reach Tat. There is no possible abuse here. It was just another example of removing a convenience for no logical reason. . . except maybe yet another coding limitation. They removed the exchange in the same build that they converted comms from physical objects in your inventory into currency on a separate tab. I wouldn't be surprised if they just couldn't figure out how to code a swapping mechanism.

Instead, we sit with mountains of starter world and capitol world comms in your currency tab because there is absolutely no reason to buy anything from those two worlds.

Yeah comms. Such a great way to make sure you can brag to all your mates how loaded with different stuff your screen is... Worthless stuff.

Removed it so they can add it back when everyone QQs and they look the hero.

Seems plausible.

All I know is I am tired of looking at a robe that looks like someone painted on the pockets and details.

And the helmets....peacock or diaper.........

I think the issue is the Hero engine not being able to perform as they need and they are still trying to make the game fit into the engine instead of building the engine to fit the game.

*snip*

I think the issue is the Hero engine not being able to perform as they need and they are still trying to make the game fit into the engine instead of building the engine to fit the game.

Unfortunately, it seems that this is probably the situation.

I didn't play beta for long but I do remember a few things that they removed for un-explained reasons, even though EVERY tester complained. I think some moron in charge at Bioware decided the game needed to be more wow like, even though people are currently quitting wow in bus loads..

Gear colour matching, medium/heavy armour social gear, fully modable gear, "grey" gear (for neither dark or light side) ...and ofc high rez textures all went :/

Edited by NasherUK