Clickers.

TwitchingFiber

So I've been checking a few swtor streams out lately, I've just recently come back from a long long break, 7+ months. I've decided to just re-level a whole new class to fully get back into the game.

So yeah, I'm amazed on how many clicker there are in this game...99% of them clickers are complaining about something, mainly because they got outplayed, or were just too slow because of clicking spells instead of actually using keybinds.

Just a helpful hint, aka PROTIP, for everyone who clicks spells you are limiting yourself on how well/fast you are it would be more beneficial to you if you practiced using ALL keybinds (Well not all, but you get the point.) Watch videos, re-level a new class just to practice how you like your keybinds.

I know someone is going to post "I click and I don't have any issues" "I click and I know it's faster than keybinds" Well, you're wrong. Once you practice keybinding you will realize what you're missing out on. Also, once you get the hang of it, you will see a dramatic increase in your performance.

Also, while clicking you are spending time looking at your spells more than you are looking at whats going on around you. You lose some awareness while clicking.

Moral of the story clickers, please practice keybinding. It will help you out tremendously. :p

Love,

Twitchypoo

EDIT: This is a great post from a someone who clicks, with many great points. Can't really argue with this.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ooloi

Keybinding is a consequence of using mouse movement. Mouse movement is more efficient and particularly for melee in pvp provides a serious advantage over keyboard turning.

If you are using mouse movement, then you can continuously move around people who are trying to keyboard turn and click while you are spamming some number of keybinds, getting behind them.

Some people don't realize that while in PvE if you run behind something and then click it will still allow you to attack the creature without turning to face them, but in PvP you must be facing them. Anyone who can move out of the angle of your range of attack and keep moving can hit you constantly while you're trying to adjust and even 1-3 global cooldowns can mean you're dead and they're not.

Step one is to stop using left and right turns and only use left and right strafe. Step two is to not use the back-up key for movement in pvp. Step 3 is to starting using the mouse to move forward (you can click both right and left buttons simultaneously to move foward. Step 4 is to keybind some essential melee skills to keys that you can easily hit while you are moving around them.

The idea of starting a new character and learning to run around someone in a tight circle while hitting even a few basic keybound keys is a good one. How much you keybind after that is up to an individual's skill and reflexes.

I click, mostly, always have. In PvE it doesn't really matter in this game. In PvP, if you are melee it becomes essential when you are playing against so many people who do use mouse movement and keybinding, unless you just like to lose. I myself have a new character where I'm learning all this. My ranged characters in PvP have allowed me to be accepted amongst those of my peers who are better than I, but my melee post 50pvp toon is pretty awful and it impacts my dps and my ability to support my team.

Being open to new concepts and improvements in your play is a good thing. Sure, it's "just" a game, but it's fun to be competent, and allows most people to have a better time while they play.

Edited by TwitchingFiber

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a helpful hint, aka PROTIP, for everyone who clicks spells you are limiting yourself on how well/fast you are it would be more beneficial to you if you practiced using ALL keybinds. Watch videos, re-level a new class just to practice how you like your keybinds.

Well, I prrefer keybinds, but I most definitely don't use ALL keybinds. Some are just too impractical. Anything right of 7, is pretty much out of reach for me. So on skill bloated characters, the occasional skill placed on 8 or beyond (with or without modifier) will be clicked as it's simply faster and more tactful than letting movement go :p.

Pro Tip: Hybridize the two systems. Cooldowns are long enough to easily reach the right side of your screen for the more uncommon abilities anyway. Those who only keybind limit themselves to maybe a third of all the abilities they have available, which isn't exactly useful for your performance either.

Well, I prrefer keybinds, but I most definitely don't use ALL keybinds. Some are just too impractical. Anything right of 7, is pretty much out of reach for me. So on skill bloated characters, the occasional skill placed on 8 or beyond (with or without modifier) will be clicked as it's simply faster and more tactful than letting movement go :p.

Well not all is necessary. I don't keybind my buff or spells rarely used. For me, 7 is as far as I go with the numbers. Then I uses Shift and Alt as my modifiers. Then use Q,E,R,T,F,Z,X,C,V as my letters. All very easy to reach, and all work well with a shift, and alt modifier.

I'm not a clicker nor say that any1 cud be as fast as a keybind user by clicking. moreover i dont care who clicks, who keyboard turns. I haven't seen such a community b4 so obsessed about clickers and keyboard turners.

I only mention it because I want to see more people succeed. And just fully clicking on all spells ( I didn't even mention key turning) limits someones playing ability.

I'm not a clicker nor say that any1 cud be as fast as a keybind user by clicking. moreover i dont care who clicks, who keyboard turns. I haven't seen such a community b4 so obsessed about clickers and keyboard turners.

You can find them on all MMO's. But the hardcore keybinders are a bit upset in this game that clicking actually gives such acceptable performance.

I click. I am happy with clicking. I have no issues with clicking. Noone has picked me up on performance in PVE or PVP. I have tried keybinding but feel more comfortable with clicking. I suppose its just whatever you feel more comfortable with - at the end of the day its just a game :)

I click. I am happy with clicking. I have no issues with clicking. Noone has picked me up on performance in PVE or PVP. I have tried keybinding but feel more comfortable with clicking. I suppose its just whatever you feel more comfortable with - at the end of the day its just a game :)

^^ :)

Aye, I was a clicker once. Then I started using keybindings and Im never going back!

I use Q,E,R,F,T,C,X,1,2,3,§, M4,M5 then I use shift+all of those, that gives two full quickbars with keybindings and once you get used to them it works like an automaton.

With 1.5s CD's it makes no difference if you click or not, as long as you know to click the right icon at the right time. If this game was a FPS, then it would be a factor.

...And yes binding makes things much easier, but clicking is hardly an issue in SWTOR.

Edited by Beansoup

Well, once you get comphy with keybinding you will see an increase in whatever skill you have. If you are a long time clicker, of course it won't be comphy at first, just like anything you have to get used to it.

With 1.5s CD's it makes no difference if you click or not, as long as you know to click the right icon at the right time. If this game was a FPS, then it would be a factor.

An FPS? First off, you can't click in FPS games. Plus, if there is some sort of FPS that does allow clicking, it has like 2 "spells" anyway.

Just stop, you guys sound like *******es with all the "clickers" and "keyboard turners" complaining, some of the best pvpers in any game anywhere that I've ever known use that configuration. It all depends on the player.

Not trying to be whatever ***** means, and I'm certain the "best" in your eyes aren't the same as others.

Just stop, you guys sound like *******es with all the "clickers" and "keyboard turners" complaining, some of the best pvpers in any game anywhere that I've ever known use that configuration. It all depends on the player.

None of the "best" pvpers are clickers or keyboard turners. The "best" duelists and such aren't the best pvpers. No offense intended, but keybinding is just better. If you aren't doing anything serious or don't care though do whatever floats your boat.

Aye, I was a clicker once. Then I started using keybindings and Im never going back!

I use Q,E,R,F,T,C,X,1,2,3,§, M4,M5 then I use shift+all of those, that gives two full quickbars with keybindings and once you get used to them it works like an automaton.

Exactly, once you're comphy with keybinding it all becomes muscle memory. And as I said in a previous post, while clicking you spend more time than you need staring at your spells. You lose so much awareness.

Keybinds are important ... but clicking in a game with global cooldowns is exactly the same FYI.

If your talking about instant click its the same if its a button or a mouse over. I do both personally i use keys 1-6 easily (played piano i can hit 8 without moving my fingers from movement keys very much) and to be honest 90% of my rotation fits in those keys including my interupts.

anything else like shield bubble on my sorc or DFA on my merc or Dark Ward on my Assassin tank or drop into cover on my sniper ..... they dont need key binds ... i use them the second they are up in part of my rotation.

There is this moronic belief that you have to A) Look at the boss your fighting while your fighting it and B) that every power on 4 hot bars has to be on a key bind .. that you absolutely cannot play this game competitively without a naga game pad ..... sorry to tell you i use a 4 button mouse and a G14(unsupported) keyboard.

I do competitive PVP and Have beat HM TFB (as a guild we havent started EC NiM) .... I am no where near the bottom of our DPS scale usually competing with Powertechs on my sniper in lethality spec. I am never the guy who is standing in red circles so he can click a power with a long channel.

Sorry to say it ... the Clickers suck argument .... is proven wrong every time i get into raid party and pvp match.

Well, once you get comphy with keybinding you will see an increase in whatever skill you have. If you are a long time clicker, of course it won't be comphy at first, just like anything you have to get used to it.

OR you could get over it and realize that in this game there's no reason to try to force a keybinding mentality on the population as a whole. Which is exactly what you're attempting to do here. I know plenty of folks who do fantastically by being clickers, to the point where they are successfully clearing everything. They don't PvP, so that whole business is irrelevant.

If you've got certain folks you know who are clickers and are suboptimally performing, maybe speak to them directly.

So I've been checking a few swtor streams out lately, I've just recently come back from a long long break, 7+ months. I've decided to just re-level a whole new class to fully get back into the game.

So yeah, I'm amazed on how many clicker there are in this game...99% of them clickers are complaining about something, mainly because they got outplayed, or were just too slow because of clicking spells instead of actually using keybinds.

Just a helpful hint, aka PROTIP, for everyone who clicks spells you are limiting yourself on how well/fast you are it would be more beneficial to you if you practiced using ALL keybinds (Well not all, but you get the point.) Watch videos, re-level a new class just to practice how you like your keybinds.

I know someone is going to post "I click and I don't have any issues" "I click and I know it's faster than keybinds" Well, you're wrong. Once you practice keybinding you will realize what you're missing out on. Also, once you get the hang of it, you will see a dramatic increase in your performance.

Also, while clicking you are spending time looking at your spells more than you are looking at whats going on around you. You lose some awareness while clicking.

Moral of the story clickers, please practice keybinding. It will help you out tremendously. :p

Love,

Twitchypoo

Keybinding doesn't mean squat in pve.

The reason there are so many 'clickers' on SWTOR is Bioware has managed to alienate the hardcore crowd pretty much with slow content release, terrible class balance and generally just making one bad decision after another... people who insist on keybinding, etc are the hardcore players (like myself) but we are a rare and dying breed in this game. My guild is really struggling for instance to replace players who left because there aren't players on the server who are 'hardcore' material.

And just to add fuel to the fire people clicking generally will do less dps, on my gunslinger if I click moves instead of using keybinds I do 300-400 less dps in dirty fighting spec.

Edited by Darthharrington