I am angry about the economic exploit.

bheta

You exploit a hack in your favorite MMO, then you get caught and banned. Once you get banned, you end up in a bar, where you meet Charlie Sheen, who invites you to his house to play Platoon...Don't play Platoon with Charlie Sheen...LOL

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post
We're always watching for any potential economic exploits and correct them as a very high priority, and we absolutely do investigate and take action against anyone we've found that takes advantage of exploits like this. We actively monitor the game and have data that assists us in finding people who abuse game systems. Rest assured that players who have been found abusing any exploit will have appropriate actions taken against their accounts.

Are you saying, "When **** rolls downhill, it spreads thin, so you shouldn't care when you get hit by the ****?" I'm just checking. I'm not sure I've ever heard the, "Well, it's not THAT bad that you unfairly compensate for/suffer because of X people who are committing Y crime-that-isn't-drug-use," argument before.

That is one of.the funniest and best analogies i have heard in a long time.......LOL

I hope kryator updates us on his guildmate, because clearly the devs aren't going to tell us specifics (which I'm not sure I agree with...name and shame the exploiters). If in a few days the guildmate still isn't dealt with, that shows me that it isn't being dealt with in general and I'll have lost a lot of faith in this game.

I never see how reporting someone will benefit you. Play your own game, if people want to use exploits then thats their business. Same with RL. If someones murdered someone then yea, they are a danger to the public and id probably snitch. But other than that its their business unless it directly effects me.

If they ruin the economy like that in game, it affects you if you're trying to sell something or buy somehting. Also in real life you should be a man and stand up when you see something wrong.

It's like the fight on the bus that was on the news yesterday, guy accidently steps on someone's foot, he gets knocked out of the bus, his head hits the curb, no one gets up to help him or anything, and because someone over reacted because his foot accidently got stepped on (which doesn't hurt for more than 1 second), he's in the hospital and in critical condition.

Maybe not the best comparison but I hope it got my point across

I hope we get the details as well. Name them and shame them, then bring the bann hammer down! However we have to remember there are a lot more players the 'devs. If a person is inclined to cheat they figure it out and share it faster than the devs can catch it. It is like law enforcement the devs are slways going to be playing catch up.

It seems to me that they caught this one pretty quick and fixed ot though. Jist that the community in general expects things to be fixed as soon as we see it which is generally before the devs notice. Maybe a little patience on our part and making sure that "we" the honest gamers keep informing the devs would go a long way to making things better.

I hope kryator updates us on his guildmate, because clearly the devs aren't going to tell us specifics (which I'm not sure I agree with...name and shame the exploiters). If in a few days the guildmate still isn't dealt with, that shows me that it isn't being dealt with in general and I'll have lost a lot of faith in this game.

You really think his guild mate is going to tell them what happened? Chances are good that if he is banned, he will log onto the guild forums, post "this game is lame, I am leaving", and never be seen again. If he is suspended, then he is just taking a short break.

There is a difference between hacking and taking advantage of exploits introduced by BioWare.

One of the MANY reasons, PvP is so messed up today is not properly correcting for these exploits in the past.

Like how everyone in PvP got BM gear in pretty much in a day when the first waves hit.

Since day 1, and before, the cheaters and exploiters have been allowed to do it over and over... when reported they get a simple slap on the wrist and a stern "DONT DO THAT!" then are allowed back in, keeping what they had amassed and went about the business of finding something new to work on ... it happens in every game..

Not true, they've permanently banned people in the past for hacks and exploits.

I hope we get the details as well. Name them and shame them, then bring the bann hammer down! However we have to remember there are a lot more players the 'devs. If a person is inclined to cheat they figure it out and share it faster than the devs can catch it. It is like law enforcement the devs are slways going to be playing catch up.

It seems to me that they caught this one pretty quick and fixed ot though. Jist that the community in general expects things to be fixed as soon as we see it which is generally before the devs notice. Maybe a little patience on our part and making sure that "we" the honest gamers keep informing the devs would go a long way to making things better.

I'm fine with how long it took to fix it, I just want every person who can be detected using this to be swiftly banned or at the very least suspended.

Hello!

We understand that the community is very concerned about exploits and curious about what exploits are out there. However, since we do not want to encourage bad behavior, we do not talk about specifics and ask that our community members also avoid talking about specifics.

In addition, we'd like to remind everyone that talking about actions taken against player accounts is not permitted.

Thank you!

Hello!

We understand that the community is very concerned about exploits and curious about what exploits are out there. However, since we do not want to encourage bad behavior, we do not talk about specifics and ask that our community members also avoid talking about specifics.

In addition, we'd like to remind everyone that talking about actions taken against player accounts is not permitted.

Thank you!

So someone on the forums can't tell us if his guildmate gets banned? And we sit here having no idea whether or not our already fragile server "economy" has been flooded with an extra 5-10 billion credits at least?

Edited by Niddles

and you believe that? if so i have beach front property in arizona id like to sell you. his reply to you was just covering his own butt. if his guild did not like what he was doing they would have kicked him and distanced themselves from him. you know all to well the whole guild benifited from this,and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

Got to love how anonymous people jump to quick judgments of others without knowing them or the circumstances AT ALL.

And people wonder how as a society we had the Salem witch hunts or the Communism hunts of the McCarthy era.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.

Ignorance and prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand."

Mankind, doomed to continuously repeat the idiocy of the past without pausing to reflect and learn.

Awwwwww moooooooom. Its more fun when you know what happen to your wayward siblings. Seriuosly though devs im trying to defend you a bit here, but i do feel if the community as a whole knew what the punishment was then it might discourage future cheaters. You keep pointing out that "it cant be discussed" is going to lead to more posts about how it is only a slap on the wrist and the cheaters will keep cheating. Just my opinion though.

I hosted a private server for several months.

The #1 thing I learned is that my players would try to exploit and cheat you from every different angle whenever possible. I was very lenient -- I would give them slaps in the hands and take away what they did, but getting them to admit to anything was difficult.

The worst were the people who threatened to quit the server if you didn't roll back the server over trivial stuff. Why? I can type a MYSQL script and in less than 10 seconds remove any items / money from people who exploited. Hell, I could log on any ones account I expected of exploiting and take a look whenever I wanted.

It was an endless battle. I would do it again, but this time right.

So someone on the forums can't tell us if his guildmate gets banned? And we sit here having no idea whether or not our already fragile server "economy" has been flooded with an extra 5-10 billion credits at least?

Where are you getting "billion" from?

So someone on the forums can't tell us if his guildmate gets banned?

Exactly. I don't know how it is possible to misinterpret "talking about actions taken against player accounts is not permitted."

And we sit here having no idea whether or not our already fragile server "economy" has been flooded with an extra 5-10 billion credits at least?

Can you explain how you arrived at this number? If not, I can also make up numbers. Last time there was a credit exploit, the doom-and-gloom crowd proclaimed that this would ruin the economy, and that didn't happen then either.

Finally, if your use of quotation marks around "economy" is a cynical statement that you belong in the camp who claim there is no economy, why do you care?

Edited by Kthx

Exactly. I don't know how it is possible to misinterpret "talking actions taken against player accounts is not permitted."

Can you explain how you arrived at this number? If not, I can also make up numbers. Last time there was a credit exploit, the doom-and-gloom crowd proclaimed that this would ruin the economy, and that didn't happen then either.

Finally, if your use of quotation marks around "economy" is a cynical statement that you belong in the camp who claim there is no economy, why do you care?

We've already heard that one guy who used this got full unlocks on everything and was left with 750 million credits. Is it that hard to imagine 5 people per server?

This is how I would handle it:

I would not ban them but take all the Legacy unlocks you pay for away and take there credits down to 1 mill. People do need some cash to really play the game that is why I would leave them with one million. Let them keep there armor and weapon's. Also I would but a strike on the account it's self, if you get 3 then they should be banned.

An to just let them know what they did was not good I would temp ban them for 2 or 3 days.

People who rob banks eventually get caught and pay the price. But since the banks won't run out of money any time soon (at least from bank heists), and a player's avarice won't effect how I play, I'm not terribly concerned.

Why it may not affect your game play it's self it well mess with the Marked in the game and that really effects every one.

This is how I would handle it:

I would not ban them but take all the Legacy unlocks you pay for away and take there credits down to 1 mill. People do need some cash to really play the game that is why I would leave them with one million. Let them keep there armor and weapon's. Also I would but a strike on the account it's self, if you get 3 then they should be banned.

An to just let them know what they did was not good I would temp ban them for 2 or 3 days.

AKA "Slap on the wrist". You want the devs to act like a parent who tells their child "If you do that again we'll be really really mad! And do something bad! But this time we'll just take the cookies you stole back and let it slide."

What part of "specific instructions are not permitted" do you not understand?

Since it's been patched, any 'specific instructions' would no longer work, and would therefore no longer be 'specific instructions' on how to exploit.