Necros

Greezt

Lately I've seen some highly intelligent individuals raising threads from years ago. On many forums (today it was these and the shadow ones).

Here is my question - what is their motive? They must be incredibly smart, and I would learn from them if I could. Before you answer "trolling", consider this: only the original troll is considered smart. The others are just cheap mimics. So it can't be that, can it?

You might say they wanted to comment on a thread of the same subject. If that is the case, they are indeed smart to dig through four years of threads just to find the one that fits their theme the best. In the words of Brontes, " I am... Impressed".

Please share your thoughts on this subject. Who knows - maybe one day, in five years, this thread will be necroed as well...

sometimes people just use the 'search' function for something only old topics exist and read stuff that they strongly agree/disagree with such that they are urged to respond.

often it's just trolling. sometimes with an agenda - some people find an old and removed feature a good idea.

and sometimes it's just boredom. i mean why not confuse people for fun?

Edited by TheKilltech

I don't mind them...ist maybe because I'am Gen-X and can understand that you millenials only got the attention span of a fruit fly...

Well, things change. These days we have short attention spans, back in the day grammar was optional.

Nothing wrong with necro if it's on topic and adding something beyond "QFT" or "bump".

Forum mods also stated that it's all right as long as it's constructive and on topic.

Sometimes there's a desire to add own thoughts to an old topic and necro an old thread to put it into context.

In the case of my drinking game thread, because the thread is amusing and I keep posting and leaving it in my signature. Or so I like to think.

A lot when I see necromancers reviving long lost threads, it's to post "QFT" or similar posts. Though I have seen some people quote someone from three years back to make a counterpoint that was already made a page later...

Mostly I think necros where someone puts through a response is accidental, or someone bringing back a thread that still hold relevance (like the thread about Funniest Lines from the game, I know it's years old, but I believe it went dormant for a few months before coming back to life again, and again) that would be almost too much work to make a new thread about.

I usually try to keep my snark about "Use the search Function" to a handful of topics, like ones that already have five threads on two pages in General Discussion or Suggestions.

Nothing wrong with necro if it's on topic and adding something beyond "QFT" or "bump".

Forum mods also stated that it's all right as long as it's constructive and on topic.

Sometimes there's a desire to add own thoughts to an old topic and necro an old thread to put it into context.

This, if it adds to the topic, it can be valuable to the next person looking for info.

In the tech forum I am apart of, you are more likely to receive an infraction for not necroing as multiple posts on the same subject makes it harder for everyone to find relevant info when searching.

I don't mind them...ist maybe because I'am Gen-X and can understand that you millenials only got the attention span of a fruit fly...

It's funny Baby Boomers said the same thing about Gen-Xers 30 years ago. Remember, Gen-X was the MTV Generation. We were called lazy and self-centered and low attention span too.

And the "Silent Generation" (generation before baby boomers) said the same thing about Baby Boomers 20 years before that. BBs were Hippies after all.

Just sayin'...pot meet kettle.

It's funny Baby Boomers said the same thing about Gen-Xers 30 years ago. Remember, Gen-X was the MTV Generation. We were called lazy and self-centered and low attention span too.

And the "Silent Generation" (generation before baby boomers) said the same thing about Baby Boomers 20 years before that. BBs were Hippies after all.

Just sayin'...pot meet kettle.

No it's totally different. All those examples were fine, but when millenials can look at another millenial and call them lazy, self centered, and low attention span, you know something's wrong.

Millenials are the most immature, dumb, set of adults out there on the planet right now. And that's taking it away from Paris Hilton & Jessica Simpson.

No it's totally different. All those examples were fine, but when millenials can look at another millenial and call them lazy, self centered, and low attention span, you know something's wrong.

Millenials are the most immature, dumb, set of adults out there on the planet right now. And that's taking it away from Paris Hilton & Jessica Simpson.

And Baby Boomers can look at others in their generation and come out against them as well with the insults used by younger generations and same goes for any. I don't see the need to knock any generation and what this has to do with thread necros and Star Wars. Except this game is enjoyed by multiple generations, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But the search function on these forums is highly touchy and too many words narrowing in on specifics seem to break it- if someone's found a relevant thread and bumped it, it's not a bad thing- it's bumping useless threads for their own amusement.