My suggestions to adjust the level sync system.....

LordArtemis

Ok, I personally feel that overall the level sync system has quite a bit of potential. I do, however, feel it needs a few adjustments to set it so it has the widest appeal possible.

1) Level sync max level should be boosted by one level across the board.

2) Aggro range should be reduced considerably, so that at maximum synced level it is close to the prior aggro level with grey mobs.

3) A "hard mode" setting should be added for level sync that actually reduces a players level to 3 to 4 levels lower than normal, or perhaps 1 level below minimum recommended level for the planet and hold it there, whichever works best.

I feel I should likely explain this one better, since this if fairly important.

The idea is that you could toggle a setting for Level Sync that would downgrade your level 3 levels below your current level AND what would normally be the cap once you outleveled the area.

So, lets say you approach Dromund Kass, at proper level, which is 10 to 16. The current level sync system does not kick in until you hit 17 or 18 if I am not mistaken, so this is how it would work......the level would be shifted by 3 or 4 levels, so you would be at level 6 when you start (though you are level 10) and your hard cap for this area would be level 13 or 14.

So the system works in two ways....keeps you three levels below your current level at all times, and also caps your level in an area to 3 to 4 levels below max level normally allowed by level sync.

It can work if the level debuff is applied after level sync effects....you always have a downlevel of 3 or 4 levels on, and once level sync goes into play the debuff keeps you 3 or 4 levels below the normal cap.

4) An option should be added to turn level sync off, but rewards would be greatly reduced....no alliance kits at all, similar to rewards for grey mobs prior to 4.0.

5) Buffs should apply after level sync effects, as level sync rendered almost all buffs (class and pots) useless.

This would provide, IMO, the maximum range of difficulty levels for players, going from insane (no comp, hard mode) to super easy (comp, level sync deactivated).

Thank you for your time.

Edited by LordArtemis

My big question from when I looked over what level sync does to a character:

Why is health capped at a value that corresponds to a much lower endurance value than the endurance cap? It just seems like one cap or the other has to be wrong. And why even bother enforcing a cap on health directly when you're already enforcing a cap on endurance?

I also have an issue with the fact that all bonuses from buffs / stims / adrenals / procs / whatever else are taken into effect BEFORE stats get cut off at the caps. So anything that increases mastery, endurance, power, or health is rendered irrelevant unless you're so severely undergeared that your stats aren't reaching the caps for the level you're being synced to anyway. I've also noticed that the Guardian/Juggernaut defensive cooldown that temporarily increases your maximum health gets blocked by this. You still get the burst of healing equal to the amount that the maximum is supposed to be increased by, and if you're still in combat when the effect ends you still lose that amount of health at the end. But your maximum health stays firmly locked at the capped value. This just doesn't seem right and they ought to change the order of operations there so that the cap is only relevant for stats from level+gear and we can boost past those caps a little bit with bonuses.

They've created a weird gearing situation with this because basically if you want the most benefit from your higher levels while affected by sync you need to not worry about mastery / endurance / power so much and get as much as you possibly can into crit / accuracy / alacrity for dps/heals or defense / shield / absorb for tanks and you also want to favor any relics or adrenals or abilities that would boost any of those 6 stats instead of the main 3 stats since those 6 stats don't appear to ever be capped.

Anyway, somehow I doubt that the game is set up in a way that it can just selectively remove specific items from the mission rewards the way you described. I don't think we can reasonably expect to see "difficulty levels" / "sync on/off switch" in that sense. Probably the most they might be able to do is to set up a system where a player that sets themselves into a "hard mode" setting gets stricter sync caps and a bonus to credit drops and xp from mob kills and someone that sets themselves in an "easy mode" setting gets looser sync caps and a penalty to credit drops and xp from mobs (and in either case, being in any sort of group for heroics, flashpoints, ops, or whatever else would probably have to default you back into the standard mode anyway, these settings would be solo play only). But even for that idea... I don't know. It's iffy, for the same reason as this next paragraph...

I also doubt that the sync system is set up in a way to allow for different level syncs on the same planet. Or else they never would have rescaled the levels of bonus series areas, dread seed areas, and higher level missions that return to lower level planets (such as the formerly level 50 end-of-ch3 Sith Warrior instance on Korriban) down to the planet's main leveling range. They would have just had us automatically pick up and lose different sync buffs as we pass between the different sections of the map. Sync somewhere around 28 where there are level 28 enemies, sync around 36 for the level 36 enemies, sync around 55 for the level 55 enemies, etc. Something must have gotten in the way of being able to do that, so instead we have a universal setting for everyone on the same planet and it has to be tuned only for the high end of what's on the planet.

It would make things more consistent if they could get that sorted out though. Then they could go over everything and fine tune level sync to each region of the map so that you're always fighting with the stat caps that put you as close as possible to the enemy level instead of having a larger gap over enemies in one part of the planet and a smaller gap over enemies in another part of the planet. For example... Dromund Kaas: sync level is 18, highest level heroic is something like 14, lowest level heroic is about 10. With a more flexible implementation of sync that could have been a 13 sync for the level 10 heroic and an 17 sync for the level 14 heroic.

Regardless of any of that, I do agree that it seems like aggro range might as well factor in actual level, not sync level. Maybe it shouldn't go all the way back to how it went for gray enemies before, where we could pass directly through them without them noticing unless we actually stopped in them for 5 seconds. But maybe it scales down until it reaches a cap at around 10 levels over the enemy level? (So there would still be some range in which it will notice you but it will be a lot smaller than the range that it will notice an at-level character and this will be something just a little bit more lenient than what we see when we're being treated as if we're at sync level.)

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

Ok, I personally feel that overall the level sync system has quite a bit of potential. I do, however, feel it needs a few adjustments to set it so it has the widest appeal possible.

1) Level sync max level should be boosted by one level across the board.

2) Aggro range should be reduced considerably, so that at maximum synced level it is close to the prior aggro level with grey mobs.

3) A "hard mode" setting should be added for level sync that actually reduces a players level to 3 to 4 levels lower than normal, or 3 levels below recommended level for the planet, whichever works best.

4) An option should be added to turn level sync off, but rewards would be greatly reduced....no alliance kits at all, similar to rewards for grey mobs prior to 4.0.

5) Buffs should apply after level sync effects, as level sync rendered almost all buffs (class and pots) useless.

This would provide, IMO, the maximum range of difficulty levels for players, going from insane (no comp, hard mode) to super easy (comp, level sync deactivated).

Thank you for your time.

I made some similar suggestions here.

And a similar suggestion in a recent thread along the same lines as Roccobb's:

And a loss of valor for anyone killing a player in open world combat 4+ levels below them, even with level sync turned on. If you kill a level 30 player on Tatooine and you are 65, you should lose 5k valor every time.

It can be done. They just have to take the time to do it. They took the time to screw it up after all. ;)

And a loss of valor for anyone killing a player in open world combat 4+ levels below them, even with level sync turned on. If you kill a level 30 player on Tatooine and you are 65, you should lose 5k valor every time.

Agreed. If they also take 5k valor points of whoever doesnt kill anybody of his own level, in open PvP. Each day.

And, we can dennounce anyone killing friends, exploiting this.

Also, they must give some valor points for each kill of your level, in the maps.

Last thing, they must increase valor cap to match that system and give some prizes for high values.

Thats a fair system.

Edited by leonlotus

Agreed. If they also take 5k valor points of whoever doesnt kill anybody of his own level, in open PvP. Each day.

And, we can dennounce anyone killing friends, exploiting this.

Also, they must give some valor points for each kill of your level, in the maps.

Last thing, they must increase valor cap to match that system and give some prizes for high values.

Thats a fair system.

I have heard from quite a few folks the cap on valor should be raised up.

I have heard from quite a few folks the cap on valor should be raised up.

The game have changed a lot, but Valor system did not.

In fact, there was no uptade and is now wasted, like some old PvP achievements.

IMO, at least they should increase cap and link it to Legacy.

The game have changed a lot, but Valor system did not.

In fact, there was no uptade and is now wasted, like some old PvP achievements.

IMO, at least they should increase cap and link it to Legacy.

Not sure what I think about linking it to legacy. Hear me out before cursing me, please. :D

When I join a wz, or an open pvp party, if there is time, I look at a few profiles. If I see a very high level valor person, I can assume that player has taken that tune through a few times, and probably knows how to handle himself as a tank, and how to protect me as a healer. So I know I will stick right on him, even coordinate the wz with him. We move together, because he is a bad @##. That same player can have a rank 1 healer, and has no real idea how to play his class. Is it a true testament to if they are worth their salt? No. But it is a good barometer.

Honestly, I have never, in 20 years of playing MMO's been good at tanking. I wouldn't call myself the best healer, but I will toot my own horn and say I think I am pretty darn good. DPS, it really depends. Melee DPS, I suck. I don't have the controls to keep running in circles constantly.

And my character's valor reflects that. My healers are all VERY high, if not maxed valor. My ranged DPS are all medium. My melee DPS is laughable. So if you were to look at my profile on any character, you know if I have played a lot on it. If you always suck at something, you will probably not play that class very often.

So in short, if valor was legacy based, you could be seen as this really great player because of a number, and have people rely on you knowing what you are doing, when in reality, you suck. (Not you per se, but you get it, right?)

I personally feel that Level Sync has made it so there isn't a difference between being a Sub and playing for free. However, I do believe that this concept will be kept, but I would much prefer that specific areas such as Heroics have this in place however I don't feel that it is necessary to restrict the whole planet with the level caps.

My opinion on the concept.

Not sure what I think about linking it to legacy. Hear me out before cursing me, please. :D

When I join a wz, or an open pvp party, if there is time, I look at a few profiles. If I see a very high level valor person, I can assume that player has taken that tune through a few times, and probably knows how to handle himself as a tank, and how to protect me as a healer. So I know I will stick right on him, even coordinate the wz with him. We move together, because he is a bad @##. That same player can have a rank 1 healer, and has no real idea how to play his class. Is it a true testament to if they are worth their salt? No. But it is a good barometer.

Honestly, I have never, in 20 years of playing MMO's been good at tanking. I wouldn't call myself the best healer, but I will toot my own horn and say I think I am pretty darn good. DPS, it really depends. Melee DPS, I suck. I don't have the controls to keep running in circles constantly.

And my character's valor reflects that. My healers are all VERY high, if not maxed valor. My ranged DPS are all medium. My melee DPS is laughable. So if you were to look at my profile on any character, you know if I have played a lot on it. If you always suck at something, you will probably not play that class very often.

So in short, if valor was legacy based, you could be seen as this really great player because of a number, and have people rely on you knowing what you are doing, when in reality, you suck. (Not you per se, but you get it, right?)

Thats actually a pretty good argument against legacy valor. I didn't think of it that way.

I too havent thought of it. Agreed, of course.

Its a reflection of how much time the player have spent using that character, so you can bet that he will or not, do his job. Useful thing, being a Healer.

I tend to like melee most.

Here i played melee DPS and Hybrid, most of the time. I am also very proud of what i did with them. Always got and modified my ranked sets early, to get to Open PvP fast. My real fun.

Tanking, well.. i got the right times, but I lack something, and parhaps its patience.

Ranged are just to laugh a lot! I simply suck :D

Edited by leonlotus

I too havent thought of it. Agreed, of course.

Its a reflection of how much time the player have spent using that character, so you can bet that he will or not, do his job. Useful thing, being a Healer.

I tend to like melee most.

Here i played melee DPS and Hybrid, most of the time. I am also very proud of what i did with them. Always got and modified my ranked sets early, to get to Open PvP fast. My real fun.

Tanking, well.. i got the right times, but I lack something, and parhaps its patience.

Ranged are just to laugh a lot! I simply suck :D

Yea, really, valor level is a good gauge on how experienced a player is in PVP, and should likely remain that way.

Cool, convinced at least 3 people to keep valor the way it is. However, it would be cool to see an additional legacy valor. 500 max or something. I don't know what it would give you, besides maybe a really cool "I'm a bad butt at PVP!" title. But I would be interested to see what everyone's legacy valor would be. Heck, with 4 characters at maxed out valor, and a few others on the way, I want to know what MY legacy valor would be!

So maybe not replace valor with legacy valor. Maybe make it an additional stat on the character screen.

*edit: convinced 2, another agrees. Leaving original post as is for posterity.

Edited by Roccobb

I still don't understand all the complaints about aggro range.

Some say Voss is nightmare. I say Voss is way too easy to explore without getting attacked.

Some say Ilum/Hoth is impossible to explore without getting attacked. I'd say they should add more enemies.

Edited by Halinalle

I also have an issue with the fact that all bonuses from buffs / stims / adrenals / procs / whatever else are taken into effect BEFORE stats get cut off at the caps. So anything that increases mastery, endurance, power, or health is rendered irrelevant unless you're so severely undergeared that your stats aren't reaching the caps for the level you're being synced to anyway. I've also noticed that the Guardian/Juggernaut defensive cooldown that temporarily increases your maximum health gets blocked by this. You still get the burst of healing equal to the amount that the maximum is supposed to be increased by, and if you're still in combat when the effect ends you still lose that amount of health at the end. But your maximum health stays firmly locked at the capped value. This just doesn't seem right and they ought to change the order of operations there so that the cap is only relevant for stats from level+gear and we can boost past those caps a little bit with bonuses.

I have a new observation to add to this part from my earlier post. Unlike the side effect of sync on the various bonuses and on the Guardian/Juggernaut ability, this one is a side effect that we actually benefit from. But to be fair and honest it's another place where sync renders a game mechanic irrelevant.

I was running through Taris heroics on a character and I was of course getting hit with the debuffs that the Rakghouls put on you. There's an armor debuff and that still does exactly what it says it does, but there's also a health debuff and that was having zero impact on my max health. My max health stayed locked in firmly at the capped amount, presumably because the debuff is factored in before the cap (just like the buffs).

The debuffed amount likely must have still been larger than the health cap being enforced. (In other words, capped endurance says max health ought to be 5k and capped max health is actually 2k but 25% off of 5k is 3,750 which is still larger than 2k and so the cap of 2k still applies. (example numbers, not actual numbers))

Cool, convinced at least 3 people to keep valor the way it is. However, it would be cool to see an additional legacy valor. 500 max or something. I don't know what it would give you, besides maybe a really cool "I'm a bad butt at PVP!" title. But I would be interested to see what everyone's legacy valor would be. Heck, with 4 characters at maxed out valor, and a few others on the way, I want to know what MY legacy valor would be!

So maybe not replace valor with legacy valor. Maybe make it an additional stat on the character screen.

*edit: convinced 2, another agrees. Leaving original post as is for posterity.

Yea, really, valor level is a good gauge on how experienced a player is in PVP, and should likely remain that way.

Well, thats sounds like a solution to me too!

A real update, with 1 functionality add, without hurting others. Liked it very very much.

Edited by leonlotus