Lag in Devova

Seriously when the hell is his going to be fixed every week lag spikes all night gj on picking the hero engine which and clearly handle this or better yet gj of fail to properly doing instance server at least wow got that right so there was next to no lag

I put in a ticket about it. Their response was this:

Greetings Mrhyde,

I am Protocol Droid K8-I2, Human-Cyborg Relations.

I was hoping to have a conversation with you earlier when I received your ticket, however you we're unavailable.

I have received your ticket regarding an issue you have encountered while doing Explosive Conflict and trying to bring down "Nightmare Pilgrim" and we know how frustrating it is not to be able to properly play the game and we would like to humbly apologize for the upset and inconvenience caused, rest assured that we want to help you with your concern.

I’m afraid that this response is rather lengthy, but I would ask you to please read through it all and before we can investigate your issue further, there are a number of steps we’d like you to try. Completing these steps will allow us to better troubleshoot your mission problem.

• Can I ask you is the computer running unnecessary programs at the background (voice over-IP software / browser / mp3 player / etc.).

• Try creating a second administrator account on your machine, and run the game from it.

• Can you please to run the game after performing a clean boot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796) / please reverse back to normal boot after trouble shooting.

• Can you please complete with the following DirectX update http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

• Some of our customers have pointed out on our forums, that your GPU is not being fully utilized when in Warzones or Flashpoints types of situations; we have found that character-heavy situations like these are usually limited by the CPU, not by rendering.

Other changes you can make that will help improve performance:

• We’ve read that some mobile graphics cards might not appropriately set their performance profile when running SWTOR. You can correct this by going to your graphics control panel and manually setting up a profile.

• Please disable shadows in game by turning Shadow Quality to Off.

• Disabling Windows Aero (or Similar Windows Theme) can also improve performance slightly.

• Running the swtor.exe in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) Compatibility Mode

• Please also put the game into Fullscreen (windowed) mode in the graphic options.

We recommend you to use the latest driver for your motherboard or USB PCI ethernet card and tweak the power management features by opening the appropriate network card properties, to click on Configure and to go to the "Power Management" tab and unselect the "Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power" if selected.

If you continue to experience problems with your game after confirming these steps, please reply to this email, attaching an up-to-date set of launcher logs, and a dxdiag of your system so that we can further investigate this for you, please send a response to this email containing as much of the following information as possible:

1. The troubleshooting steps you have already tried.

2. The most recent items in your logs folder

- For 32 bit Operating Systems – C:\Program Files\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs

- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs

3. Trace results.

a. Go to http://network-tools.com/

b. Select “Trace”

c. In the box with the IP address, type http://www.swtor.com

d. Click “Go”

e. When the message “Trace Complete” appears, copy the contents of the trace and paste them into your email.

4. The following 3 files from your Star Wars: The Old Republic installation directory:

a. launcher.settings

b. patcher.version

c. launcher.config

5. Your DxDiag Log (in .txt format):

a. Open up the Start menu.

b. Type “dxdiag” into the search/run box and press enter.

c. Select the “Save all information” button and save as a .txt file.

Please attach this information to your email, so that the relevant department can identify the nature of your problem, and find a resolution for you.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Galactic support is our specialty…

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid K8-I2 (aka Jason)

Star Wars ™ The Old Republic™ Customer Service

I responded by unsubbing. I have been a subscriber since prelaunch. Bioware, feel free to confirm my subscription status. My wife is unsubbing too (since we play together).

To be fair, it was not just the lag, that was just the final straw. I also unsubbed because merc pvp is completely broken, and because daily/weekly black hole gear is equivalent to raid gear, I see no point in raiding (especially now that you can augment rakata for the set bonus + put black hole stuff inside of it).

I got the same canned response when i submitted a ticket about lag in ops, etc. They implied the server lag was somehow on my end of the connection. It doesn't give me high hopes that it will ever be resolved, as they ignore hundreds of posts complaining about lag due to server population and instead approach the situation as if it were a user side network problem.

Bioware needs to fix the SERVER LAG in Denova for sure...

But you are going to get that crap response because of your terminology.

Lag = Ping time to host server

Low FPS is not lag... which a lot of people throw that term LAG at everything that affects game speed.

What we are experiencing is SERVER LAG, FPS is good, Ping - 75 but the server stops responding or has a 2-3 sec delay for the entire Raid/Operation...

So it is not an individuals machine when the entire Operation in different parts of the country/world experience it at the same time in the same instance... that is SERVER LAG.:D

Bioware needs to fix the SERVER LAG in Denova for sure...

But you are going to get that crap response because of your terminology.

Lag = Ping time to host server

Low FPS is not lag... which a lot of people throw that term LAG at everything that affects game speed.

What we are experiencing is SERVER LAG, FPS is good, Ping - 75 but the server stops responding or has a 2-3 sec delay for the entire Raid/Operation...

So it is not an individuals machine when the entire Operation in different parts of the country/world experience it at the same time in the same instance... that is SERVER LAG.:D

i'll do ya better.

120 FPS constant, 14-19ms latency, tracert http://www.swtor.com does not exceed double digits.

and I still get lag in denova.

yeah, it's obviously my machine.. -_-

I sometimes amaze myself how I can still heal perfectly fine and clear Denova HM every week with constant ability delays, shoddy performance and horrific lagspikes. Funny how I enjoy raiding in SWTOR a lot more than I have in WoW for the last few years, yet I've been having one of the worst performances (ability delay and lagspikes) in SWTOR since day one ... must be masochism at this point :rak_03:

I cant believe they respond by getting you to check your PC with all that crap. We used to all complain over Vent that someone was "lagging" in EC however now we know that if you're lagging - everyone else is as well. So there's no use being vocal about it. Everyone in our raid will get spikes probably 2-3x every 10 minutes. And everyone suffers its not just one or two people. Definitely server side or I really don't know what is.

Server lag definitely exists especially since transfers and is pretty noticeably bad in EC.

As the healer it is frustrating for me on two counts - one is that heals don't always get through when I want them to and I am continuously re-evaluating my triage and people take more damage than they would normally, because they aren't doing what they would be doing had they not been lagging.

Secondly I am so used to my skills that I rarely look at my skill bars - my fingers are used to the timing of various spells and skills. The server lag puts off my timing and my muscle memory - as an example in EC I can't bubble people the way I used to - and it frustrates me to have to look at my skill bars constantly. I wondered if SWTOR had "broken" the bubble CD at one point. If I am waiting a full GCD or more for a bubble I may have to abandon the bubble plan and throw out a heal instead. Exit to a fleet of 230 odd people and once again my timing is correct with bubbles - so this is definitely EC server lag.