An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Niman

Aurbere

"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"- Cin Drallig, Jedi Battlemaster

The next form is the balanced Niman Form. Cin Drallig continues...

Form VI, also called Niman, is the current standard in lightsaber training. This form balances the emphasis of other forms with overall moderation. Through Form VI, a Jedi may achieve true harmony and justice without resorting to the rule of power. It is often referred to as the diplomats form because it is less intensive in its demands than the other discplines, allowing Jedi to spend more time developing their skills in perception, political strategy, and negotiation. The Jedi Council maintains that Form VIbest suits the role of contemporary Jedi Knights. After all, a Jedi Knight who is overly trained in martial combat might be at a loss to resolve complex political conflict or a sensitive trade disagreement.

How long can you expect to study Form VI before you master it? If you dedicate yourself only to Form VI, you will study for at least ten years.

is Form VI the most worthy of study? No, but in general it is the most practical. I would be negligent if I remained from noting that full masters of other forms have come to consider Form VI as insufficiently demanding.

So what do we know about Niman? We know that the Jedi Council encourages the use of Niman in order to resolve political disputes. But they do not discourage the use of other forms.

Form VI uses a compilation of the qualities of the previous forms, but in moderation. It has no true strength, but no true weakness. The Form also teaches to implement the Force regularly during combat in, somewhat, aggressive ways.

Unfortunately, the sole masters of Niman in the Jedi Order were all killed during the Battle of Geonosis. Practitioners of Form VI that were not at Geonosis were either training at the Temple or had specialized in other Forms.

Known Masters: Deceased. But one of the greatest practitioners of Niman and Jar'Kai ever would be Exar Kun. One of the greatest practitioner of Niman at the time of these recordings was Cin Drallig himself.

Here is Form V if you missed it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=545713

OK. So next is the aggressive form of Juyo. The remaining threads will be released in this order: Juyo, Vaapad, Jar'Kai, the Masters, and The Marks of Contact.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them here or send me a message.

Edited by Aurbere

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job, though I have never been a fan of Niman. I guess because I don't like that it doesn't have any true advantages.

I would have to agree. Niman doesn't have advantages or disadvantages. A very balanced form, but it doesn't have the advantages of the other forms. But sometimes balance can be an advantage in itself.

I would have to agree. Niman doesn't have advantages or disadvantages. A very balanced form, but it doesn't have the advantages of the other forms. But sometimes balance can be an advantage in itself.

True. I guess I am just not a fan of the moderation. Might be the reason why I like forms like Djem So, Juyo, and Vaapad.

Yay, Niman :)

One could say it that way:

Niman was developed for and used by lazy Jedi who didn't expect to fight for their life. But if you are ready to invest lots of time into it and are a little creative, you can turn it into a very effective combat style.

Again, two questions:

Are you sure those who died on Geonisis were real Niman masters who had practiced Niman for at least ten years once a day?

I think the only real master of Niman at that time was Cin Drallig, the others were only diplomats who used Niman as their primary style but never mastered it.

Niman can be used with a second blade, especially a lightsaber shoto, if I remember correctly. Would it be a good idea to use a Cortosis dagger instead of the shoto? That kind of Cortisis which deactivates lightsabers. I think that would really p*ss your opponent off. ;)

True. I guess I am just not a fan of the moderation. Might be the reason why I like forms like Djem So, Juyo, and Vaapad.

Well, someone once said to master Juyo you would have to be an angry lunatic with a lot of self disciplin. A pretty rare combo. And Vaapad is the whole thing to eleven. So better stick with Djem So ;)

Edited by Maaruin

And that is my favorite form. I can resume simply by saying that: in my vision "my" Jedi wants to be a "negociator" (diplomatic) and, after seeing all the forms, thats what suits him best. And, the other reason, is because this form balances well with the use of the Force. Hence the reason why this fills my Jedi Consular (again, in my vision, saddly we don't have all the forms of the tor era in swtor, but, like Maaruin says in the other thread, we always can RP)

I really enjoy reading this, thanks and keep up the good work, Aurbere :cool:

Yay, Niman :)

One could say it that way:

Niman was developed for and used by lazy Jedi who didn't expect to fight for their life. But if you are ready to invest lots of time into it and are a little creative, you can turn it into a very effective combat style.

Again, two questions:

Are you sure those who died on Geonisis were real Niman masters who had practiced Niman for at least ten years once a day?

I think the only real master of Niman at that time was Cin Drallig, the others were only diplomats who used Niman as their primary style but never mastered it.

Niman can be used with a second blade, especially a lightsaber shoto, if I remember correctly. Would it be a good idea to use a Cortosis dagger instead of the shoto? That kind of Cortisis which deactivates lightsabers. I think that would really p*ss your opponent off. ;)

Well, someone once said to master Juyo you would have to be an angry lunatic with a lot of self disciplin. A pretty rare combo. And Vaapad is the whole thing to eleven. So better stick with Djem So ;)

Not all of them were true masters, but the majority of them were very capable with the Form. Joclad Danva was a skilled practitioner of Niman and a master of Jar'Kai. He was one of the Order's best Niman duelists. But Cin Drallig was the Order's greatest practitioner of the Niman.

I believe a dagger would substitute a shoto. I know I would be mad if my lightsaber shorted out. :mad:

Not a raving lunatic exactly. Juyo can bring a user close to the Dark Side, but not as close as Vaapad. Juyo is one of the more aggressive forms that very few Jedi practice. Even Cin Drallig was not a practitioner of Juyo. While he did learn it, he avoided it because of its slightly darker nature.

EDIT: fun fact for you all. The actor that played Joclad Danva was also one of Christopher Lee's stunt doubles.

Edited by Aurbere

It's simply an all round form.

Look at what it did for you in KOTORII. It was basically that form when you need a bit of each, and not enough of something else.

Plus if you're going to be more of a diplomat jedi and don't have time to really strenuously train, form VI is the best for you.

I consider it the Tae Bo of lightsaber combat :rak_03:

Though with Exar Kun, it just shows you can take a simple form and make it deadly tum-de-dum

It's simply an all round form.

Look at what it did for you in KOTORII. It was basically that form when you need a bit of each, and not enough of something else.

Plus if you're going to be more of a diplomat jedi and don't have time to really strenuously train, form VI is the best for you.

I consider it the Tae Bo of lightsaber combat :rak_03:

Though with Exar Kun, it just shows you can take a simple form and make it deadly tum-de-dum

Niman is my go to Form on KOTOR II. Very good form on that game.

Not all of them were true masters, but the majority of them were very capable with the Form. Joclad Danva was a skilled practitioner of Niman and a master of Jar'Kai. He was one of the Order's best Niman duelists. But Cin Drallig was the Order's greatest practitioner of the Niman.

I believe a dagger would substitute a shoto. I know I would be mad if my lightsaber shorted out. :mad:

Not a raving lunatic exactly. Juyo can bring a user close to the Dark Side, but not as close as Vaapad. Juyo is one of the more aggressive forms that very few Jedi practice. Even Cin Drallig was not a practitioner of Juyo. While he did learn it, he avoided it because of its slightly darker nature.

EDIT: fun fact for you all. The actor that played Joclad Danva was also one of Christopher Lee's stunt doubles.

Joclad Danva actually survived the arena, but was killed while trying to jump onto one of the transports. In general, casualties during a retreat are much bigger than normally, so I don't think it has anything to do with the form here.

I thought that most users of Niman were people like Coleman Trebor, who weren't that much into fighting anyways and Niman masters like Joclad Danva were the exception.

I wonder why no-one ever did it. Probably because this kind of Cortosis is so rare.

Well, it was an exaggeration. But as far as I know Juyo uses controlled aggressive emotions. And to be better, you have to use more agressive emotions and even more control over them. This seems incredibly hard to achive, because normally someone is either aggressive or controlled. Of course aggressive emotions are not inherently dark side, if you don't "give into them".

Joclad Danva actually survived the arena, but was killed while trying to jump onto one of the transports. In general, casualties during a retreat are much bigger than normally, so I don't think it has anything to do with the form here.

I thought that most users of Niman were people like Coleman Trebor, who weren't that much into fighting anyways and Niman masters like Joclad Danva were the exception.

I wonder why no-one ever did it. Probably because this kind of Cortosis is so rare.

Well, it was an exaggeration. But as far as I know Juyo uses controlled aggressive emotions. And to be better, you have to use more agressive emotions and even more control over them. This seems incredibly hard to achive, because normally someone is either aggressive or controlled. Of course aggressive emotions are not inherently dark side, if you don't "give into them".

I do believe Coleman was a Niman user.

I think it is rather rare. Or maybe the Jedi didn't see the need for it? Who knows?

The form of Juyo relies on emotions, and controlling them, heavily. Akin to Djem So.

EDIT: Did some research on Coleman. Seems like he was the diplomatic sort. So Niman was probably the Form he used.

Edited by Aurbere

I do believe Coleman was a Niman user.

I think it is rather rare. Or maybe the Jedi didn't see the need for it? Who knows?

The form of Juyo relies on emotions, and controlling them, heavily. Akin to Djem So.

EDIT: Did some research on Coleman. Seems like he was the diplomatic sort. So Niman was probably the Form he used.

I would say the battle of Geonosis supports the idea that Niman has this gap between "users" and "masters". Coleman was a "user" while Joclad was a "master". Niman "users" died quite easily during the battle, while the "masters" had no disadvantage compared to other forms.

I would say the battle of Geonosis supports the idea that Niman has this gap between "users" and "masters". Coleman was a "user" while Joclad was a "master". Niman "users" died quite easily during the battle, while the "masters" had no disadvantage compared to other forms.

I fully agree with you there. :)

Ya Coleman was more a diplomat then anything else, hence why it wasn't really a big feat for Jango in killing him when he wasn't really a warrior. Odd though that of all the jedi, he was the one who went to go pick a fight with Dooku.

Ya Coleman was more a diplomat then anything else, hence why it wasn't really a big feat for Jango in killing him when he wasn't really a warrior. Odd though that of all the jedi, he was the one who went to go pick a fight with Dooku.

That's probably because the only one there that could take on Dooku was Mace. The rest of the Jedi were smart enough to know that. Poor Coleman though. :(

That's probably because the only one there that could take on Dooku was Mace. The rest of the Jedi were smart enough to know that. Poor Coleman though. :(

It would have been cool to see Mace go against Dooku during that fight.

I think he wanted to negotiate :D

Seriously, he probably didn't want to win, but instead fight with Dooku while reasoning with him. Dooku isn't a killer who strikes to kill with the first opening. He likes to show off his skills and also likes to talk. If Jango wasn't there, Coleman would have tried and Dooku would have played with him some time before ending him in the most elegant way. (Well, that's my explanation, probably not supported by lore.)

I think he wanted to negotiate :D

Seriously, he probably didn't want to win, but instead fight with Dooku while reasoning with him. Dooku isn't a killer who strikes to kill with the first opening. He likes to show off his skills and also likes to talk. If Jango wasn't there, Coleman would have tried and Dooku would have played with him some time before ending him in the most elegant way. (Well, that's my explanation, probably not supported by lore.)

That's probably what he planned on doing, but it wouldn't have worked out. Even if Jango wasn't there, Dooku was very committed to the Dark Side and to seeing Sidious' plan fulfilled. He wouldn't be open to negotiation. At least someone tried though. :)

It

Niman is the form that is based far more on individual ability and potential than any of the others..... it is NOT the best primary form for the VAST majority of users........

With other forms the Main Strengths and Weaknesses are To Do with the Form rather than the person.....

with Niman the main Strength or Weaknesses will be down to the Person not the Form..... (and interestingly enough - it is the form that best lets the force flow freely through the user and the best at combining saber with force attacks....Niman improves at a greater factor than the other styles -the more powerful the force user is)

Someone like Exar Kun was Exceptionally Naturally Gifted and powerful, a 'one in a Million' Type person - so to speak.

It is only this type of individual that can really take Niman to that kind of next level - You kind of have to naturally 'have it'

Someone like this will be extremely formidable seeing as they will have no exploitable weaknesses and Only Strengths...

Niman essentially gives out what you put in - so if you have no Personal weaknesses and only personal strengths - then your Niman will have No weaknesses and only strengths......Other styles will inherently strenghten you in one way BUT will introduce weaknesses that you may not even naturally have.......

So for the rare talents such as Exar Kun - Niman was a good choice because of the Flexibility and adaptability of the Style in which he could freely utilise his natural talent and innovate new ideas.......and in his day he was the best - surpassing any of the masters of the other forms.......Niman users of this level are probably the rarest Jedi/Sith of all.....

It really would not Surprise me at all if I heard that Sidious and Yoda utilised a lot of Niman in their fighting styles.... (especially Sidious)