Question on Jedi Lore and weapon choices

SmarineIS

Now Ive read the whole monster thread on why/why not changing color crystals to non aligned items is a good or bad idea. I am curious about a different set of weapons entirely and since I am not a buff on the lore of the star wars universe past the movies and a little from what I hear my friends who are discuss (Ive been into 40k much longer >.> don't judge XD). My question is do jedi or did any jedi forgo the use of a lightsaber in favor of other weapons, in context of the game I'm referring to vibroswords specifically. I will probably use one either way but I'm curious if there are any examples of canon or story that have this particular element to them?

Thanks all

Edited by SmarineIS

The original Lightsabers were had extremely large batteries in a bulky fanny pack, for lack of a better term. They were later replaced by a couple of D-Cells inside the hilt itself.

They were also derived from the old Vibroswords, but had a much more... civilized edge. The replacement of the energized blade with a blade of supercharged plasma was why they needed the huge fanny pack batteries, though.

As for using other weapons, some Jedi throughout Star Wars history have also used Blaster rifles and pistols. They are not playable in the game, however. The most famous Jedi who still uses Blasters is, of course, Kyle Katarn. Some others include Dass Jennir and Kam Solusar.

The original Lightsabers were had extremely large batteries in a bulky fanny pack, for lack of a better term. They were later replaced by a couple of D-Cells inside the hilt itself.

They were also derived from the old Vibroswords, but had a much more... civilized edge. The replacement of the energized blade with a blade of supercharged plasma was why they needed the huge fanny pack batteries, though.

As for using other weapons, some Jedi throughout Star Wars history have also used Blaster rifles and pistols. They are not playable in the game, however. The most famous Jedi who still uses Blasters is, of course, Kyle Katarn. Some others include Dass Jennir and Kam Solusar.

Backup post for Zone:

Examples of Jedi's that specifically do not use lightsabers are found in the Courecant (SP?) series. They are called Gray Paladins. The idea is that the Paladins are the same as Jedi with one major difference. Paladins believe that the Jedi are overly reliant on the lightsabers. So their versions of the lightsabers are blasters (and other non-lightsaber weapons if I understand it all correctly).

Other then what has been pointed out, which is only a few sect's or people, you'd have more luck finding Sith that used alchemic swords/vibro swords. Somebody will probably correct me on this, but I thought I read somewhere that the first generations of Sith (organization, not species) simply lacked all the technologies to make Lightsabers. Instead, the turned to Sith Alchemy and created swords that could simply withstand a lightsaber and would fight with those. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

Real Swords are in inferior to Lightsabers for 3 reasons:

1. Lightsabers are weightless, therefore faster and lightsaber forms are designed based to weightless weapons.

2. Lightsaber can cut through walls, floors and doors with ease (which is something Jedi and Sith seem to do often), which Swords cannot.

3. Throwing Lightsabers with force is easier (and more destructive) than throwing a sword.

---

In game however it is easy to play through the entire game with a VibroSword as a Sith Warrior or Sorcerer.

Obviously you have high enough level VibroSword's to get through Korriban and then when you get to Drumand Kaas there is weapons vendor in the spaceport that sells a green (yet fully moddable) VibroSword which you can use for the entire game. - Obviously this Sword is meant/put there for Khem Val but there is nothing stopping players using it themselves.

Edited by AngelousWang

Lightsabers can also cauterize wounds on the field, used as a light source if needed and because they cauterize, can be used to kill people without leaving a mess in the form of a pool of blood. :)

Oh and as many Jedi and Sith have said "A lightsaber can resolve a situation without ever being ignited".

Funny thing that always struck me as a physics major in college, if light sabers are made of plasma it would kill everything and everyone within a rough field of 30 feet or so, as even the coldest forms of plasma are several thousand degrees Celsius.

Ive heard there is a protective containment field and such, but if that is true and it can still cut through blast doors designed to withstand all of the fun super powerful laser weapons of the Starwars world, this makes little sense as the blade would still then kill the user, or if nothing else, all those troopers and civilians you see in the movies and read of in the books standing next to the jedi themselves without benefit of the force to protect them.

Don't get me wrong my other favorite genre have just as terrible story gaps and leaps in the physics world. So I'm not mocking star wars for its flare but its one of those things that makes me laugh in the study of physics.

Also since a light saber is nearly weightless you actually generate less force with it then say another heavier object which is another physics problem I always found funny. In terms of marital combat speed is important but other factors come into effect as well such as strength, reach, etc going by the parameters of a sword fight.

In a duel with swords the speed of ones weapon is largely based upon skill and physical condition, the difference in speed based on weight between a light saber and say a vibrosword designed to be like a fencing saber (going by some book examples my friend gave me as well as the table top rpg) the difference in speed would be negligible if both warriors were of equal skill and training. Ive seen someone mention that the sith came up with ways to make a regular sword stop a lightsaber alchemical weapons or such, if thats true then there you go.

On that though process you could probably have a scary combination of a jedi and a baseball bat >.> you know swings powered by the force and all.

anyway thats my nerdy two cents on the subject, also why has anyone used buck shot on jedi yet? I mean seriously how could common sense tell you to keep using a weapon they can block, being those damn blasters XD

I ramble as you probably could tell from all that, I apologize for the long windedness

Edited by SmarineIS

Lightsabers can also cauterize wounds on the field, used as a light source if needed and because they cauterize, can be used to kill people without leaving a mess in the form of a pool of blood. :)

Oh and as many Jedi and Sith have said "A lightsaber can resolve a situation without ever being ignited".

I love my SW's line when being ignored... "Do I have to ignite my lightsaber to get your attention?"

Funny thing that always struck me as a physics major in college, if light sabers are made of plasma it would kill everything and everyone within a rough field of 30 feet or so, as even the coldest forms of plasma are several thousand degrees Celsius.

Ive heard there is a protective containment field and such, but if that is true and it can still cut through blast doors designed to withstand all of the fun super powerful laser weapons of the Starwars world, this makes little sense as the blade would still then kill the user, or if nothing else, all those troopers and civilians you see in the movies and read of in the books standing next to the jedi themselves without benefit of the force to protect them.

Don't get me wrong my other favorite genre have just as terrible story gaps and leaps in the physics world. So I'm not mocking star wars for its flare but its one of those things that makes me laugh in the study of physics.

Also since a light saber is nearly weightless you actually generate less force with it then say another heavier object which is another physics problem I always found funny. In terms of marital combat speed is important but other factors come into effect as well such as strength, reach, etc going by the parameters of a sword fight.

In a duel with swords the speed of ones weapon is largely based upon skill and physical condition, the difference in speed based on weight between a light saber and say a vibrosword designed to be like a fencing saber (going by some book examples my friend gave me as well as the table top rpg) the difference in speed would be negligible if both warriors were of equal skill and training. Ive seen someone mention that the sith came up with ways to make a regular sword stop a lightsaber alchemical weapons or such, if thats true then there you go.

On that though process you could probably have a scary combination of a jedi and a baseball bat >.> you know swings powered by the force and all.

anyway thats my nerdy two cents on the subject, also why has anyone used buck shot on jedi yet? I mean seriously how could common sense tell you to keep using a weapon they can block, being those damn blasters XD

I ramble as you probably could tell from all that, I apologize for the long windedness

That is, in terms of simple logic, not an issue.

Because the Star Wars Universe is what it is, an entire Universe, therefore having its own physical conditions. That they are somewhat near ours is just an coincedence, not more.

sincerly

The explanation of "its a different universe so physics dosen't apply" never really struck me as convincing because since if you use any aspects of physics it all has to apply nearly universally or stuff starts flying apart. I'm not saying its not all bad *** but I like pointing out flaws in stories explanations of things, I do it with all my hobbies lol some are even worse then the light saber conundrum XD.

P.S sry Zone did not mean to ignore you thank you for the info lol it gives me some ideas for a story involving a non lightsaber swinging jedi or at least one who relys on a vibro sword

The explanation of "its a different universe so physics dosen't apply" never really struck me as convincing because since if you use any aspects of physics it all has to apply nearly universally or stuff starts flying apart. I'm not saying its not all bad *** but I like pointing out flaws in stories explanations of things, I do it with all my hobbies lol some are even worse then the light saber conundrum XD.

P.S sry Zone did not mean to ignore you thank you for the info lol it gives me some ideas for a story involving a non lightsaber swinging jedi or at least one who relys on a vibro sword

No worries. I would, however like to point out that trying to apply our physics to Star Wars is a losing proposition. Even common sense takes a backseat to elaborate and completely illogical plans in the Star Wars universe. It's not so much science fiction as it is science fantasy. :)

My solution: Turn those parts of my brain off and enjoy the ride. :D