The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

Soul_of_Flames

That's the problem. Freely obtained stuff isn't grinding. It's instant gratification. This is at the expense of actual gameplay.

Yeah not everyone enjoys the same type of gameplay. I don't try and discourage them from adding stuff you might enjoy. Why would you have such an issue with me and others sometimes getting something from the Cartel Market that we think is fun? I always get the impression that the people that moan about players getting stuff with cartel coins are upset that they don't get to feel as special as they did when nobody but them got cool looking stuff. I hate to sound harsh, but if you look to a video game to make you feel special, then you need to re-evaluate your life.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't waste your time.

Challenge, risk and reward are no longer things important to a game.... at least till Bioware changes their mind and adds it, then it will be a great thing..

The only aspect of "challenge, risk and reward" that has been limited by the Cartel Market is the cosmetic aspect of the gear you get as reward.

Working your way through top-tier PVE content still awards the highest stats for gear, unique items like the Titan 9 mount or the Dread Master Crest helm, unique titles and achievements. Working your way through competitive PVP gets you the best PVP stats for gear, unique items like the black Rancor mount, unique titles and achievements.

You cannot buy stats (aside from a few level 41 mods, which they've stopped doing), levels, or achievements from the CM.

If having the best-looking gear be gated behind gameplay progression is an absolute must-have for you to enjoy the game, then sorry that SWTOR has gone in a different direction than what you wanted. It's a trade-off they've decided to make in order to keep this game profitable.

Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

ZOMG! Best - comment - ever. Read this, had to applaud you.

I like the debate in this thread, it's good to see a mostly intelligent debate about content vs cartel market. Having said that, while I love the comment by Clarian, that's kinda exactly what this game is about though atm.

Whilst its not a 'cosmetic' belt, it's about getting that new 'tier' level of gear. I can't remember playing an OP (since TFB) that was genuinely exciting for it's story, gameplay, wow factor and sense of accomplishment at beating that final boss. Now it's all about RNG and knock-backs (the lamest method of difficulty there is) - but in doing DP and DF, there's no gratification at finishing other than 'thank **** that's over' or 'great. Now i have another set piece so maybe we can attempt this at a harder level next week.'

The classic ops (EV/EC/KP and even TFB) are 'Classic' because of how enjoyable they are in terms of gameplay IMO. The cosmetic rewards (Mounts/Titles etc) that you can't get off the CM are another bonus. The Tank? Man that thing is awesome.

Thems my two cents. Now to make Clarians statement my signature... well played...

I understand the CM is the lifeline of this game. The revenue it makes pushes this game forward. Fine. I get it. But what about the regular game? At least a handful of the stuff that's on the CM should be available through normal in game means to give players incentive to play the game and earn what they want.

The Shadow in my signature found this really cool belt in the 30s. Only problem was it was blue and non-moddable. So I had to eventually give it up. When the Cartel Market came around, I hoped they would put that belt in the market....they didn't. They did however, put it on the Voss Reputation Vendor. My Shadow's outfit, which I like quite a bit, comes exclusively from playing the game. I'm using a chestpiece from a heroic in the 20s, for the longest time I was wearing the pilot pants from the space missions, etc.

There is plenty to earn in the game. The CM has plenty more. But here's the rub, that stuff on the CM wouldn't exist without the CM.

I see we're still on this topic and I agree with the OP. Many players seem to look at this game as a game which obviously it is. Some players; however, have crappy lives whether it be through abuse, or stress. An example being a kid constantly getting picked on at school, and let's be honest, it's not like adults do anything about it. Well the kid comes home in this example and plays the game and wants the feel of being unique through reward because it's something they're actually good at unlike in their life. I have no problem with this where the kid wants to earn said item and show it off in front of everyone. They earned it.

What is wrong with being unique through working hard for something? We go to work and make money in order to own a house or a car. It's human nature to want to show stuff off whether intentional or not because we're all in competition with each other no matter how you look at it. Examples could be going for jobs, applying to college, winning awards for being the best. Why should we have the Olympics? Why not just let some guy buy the gold medal so he can say he's a gold medalist in swimming? Why have the Super Bowl?

In truth, I can understand both viewpoints. The CM does give the "Casuals" what they want, and the "Hardcore" can still earn what they want from their tough grind. I see a lot state you can just buy the CM stuff from the GTN so I ask what's your point? The point that it's someone else's money that purchased said item? Why would that benefit anyone in any way? Sure, it's more money that can pay the cheques for the Devs, and hopefully put that capital back into the development of SWTOR, but why should everyone feel satisfied that they obtained said item with in-game credits instead of paying real currency? That statement just completely misses the point of what the OP is trying to state.

In truth, I actually agree that I would rather not see housing items on the CM. Reason? I've seen a lot of posts stating how crafting is broken. Whether that's true, or not because limited items are being crafted and used, I cannot say because I don't craft on a regular basis. What I would like to see is patterns that can be earned through different means that already exist, and completely craftable through playing the game. I mean, let's be serious here. You just introduced a new feature, granted no details have been released nor has an announcement been posted, but if you can place items in your home whether it be by a terminal or the "SWG" way (I doubt it); Bioware has an opportunity to implement something in the game that anyone can create and will be purchased because stats don't matter.

So really, I don't see a problem for those who want to "earn" their items, and actually praise it compared to just buying it. If said item was "the new epic thing to have", and it took time to earn whether by completing achievements, grinding, or whatever, and I can't have it because I can't play often enough. I'll accept it. It's not my fault that I have more important issues at hand.

Sure we all want our own stories to fulfill our wildest fantasies and having the "casual way" of earning stuff makes it easy to do, but it's almost like stealing the fun from the players who want to play the game. I want a Mercedes Benz as well, but I don't steal one just to brag that I have one. I need to earn it by working hard and making money. Doesn't it feel great when you purchase your first car or house because you did it with no one else's help? That's what some players want, not to completely be able to brag that they have "item X". They like the satisfaction they got said "item" on their own.

This generation of gamer tends to be lazy which can be seen through numerous examples. Why doesn't SWTOR just give us the option to pay to reach lv 55, and have all the best gear? Why not? I mean the CM is close, but it can't level us yet. We all know the CM isn't going anywhere and will exist until the game ends. Some players just like the idea of earning stuff, and that to me is what we should all strive for instead of being in "casual mode".

Tl;Dr - Point is that both points make sense, but what is wrong with earning stuff? Why do we have championship games in rl when we should just let "Joe Blow" pay for it so he can say he's the Super Bowl champ when he sat on his couch?

Nothing like a reasonable and balanced viewpoint to advance the discussion...

Yes because bringing up valid viewpoints to discuss with these tools works out really well. Like the moron who laughed at the op because he would like to get cosmetic items without having to pay for them.

Yes because bringing up valid viewpoints to discuss with these tools works out really well. Like the moron who laughed at the op because he would like to get cosmetic items without having to pay for them.

Hey now, that's not very nice. :(

On a side note, you could of also mentioned those who said they tried to read it, but gave up. Then proceeded to post stating what they did. ;)

As opposed to the other option? Empty servers or maintenence mode if the game wasn't scrapped altogether?

Well in truth, I subbed until the game went F2P. I actually quit because it went F2P with the CM coming out. Sure I came back, but it definitely wasn't the CM that did it. It was playing some of the new content. F2P is BS, I'd rather subscribe and get all the "perks", you know, the ones all the F2P/Preferred players feel they are entitled to have? :rolleyes:

Well in truth, I subbed until the game went F2P. I actually quit because it went F2P with the CM coming out. Sure I came back, but it definitely wasn't the CM that did it. It was playing some of the new content. F2P is BS, I'd rather subscribe and get all the "perks", you know, the ones all the F2P/Preferred players feel they are entitled to have? :rolleyes:

I hear that. I just resubbed today after a couple months break. I'll sub if I want to play and let it lapse when I get burned out. The F2P model is horrible and not worth my time.

The Shadow in my signature found this really cool belt in the 30s. Only problem was it was blue and non-moddable. So I had to eventually give it up. When the Cartel Market came around, I hoped they would put that belt in the market....they didn't. They did however, put it on the Voss Reputation Vendor. My Shadow's outfit, which I like quite a bit, comes exclusively from playing the game. I'm using a chestpiece from a heroic in the 20s, for the longest time I was wearing the pilot pants from the space missions, etc.

There is plenty to earn in the game. The CM has plenty more. But here's the rub, that stuff on the CM wouldn't exist without the CM.

clap clap clap...

thats true indeed, even common gear can be matched to be good looking, thanks a lot to dyes

my marauder used the black talon tunic til late 30's, then the taris gear (with the exception of the crappy skirts), and later the classic tionese (which i still use legs and feet).. also this marauder is the only of my 10 toons that use CM gear, and its the Eradicator's robe, since this class can't use any hooded robe, like juggs and inquisitors can.

Also i tell you, there are lots of GREEN gear that looks way more cooler than orange gear, because orange gear looks all the same, with different colors only, and nothing else. some of these green gear look very simmilar to their orange counterpart, but with different stripes or something, the colors are not in the same place and have a great effect when matching colors from armor

and this is what i think they should revisit.

good looking gear is meant to be used and seen, not forgotten as a crappy green gear that no one cares close to endgame.. im really tired of seeing carbon copies of same gear with a different word on it only, as this means nothing anymore...

IMO about CM, i'm really fine with it, but there are so many ripoffs...

I see we're still on this topic and I agree with the OP. Many players seem to look at this game as a game which obviously it is. Some players; however, have crappy lives whether it be through abuse, or stress. An example being a kid constantly getting picked on at school, and let's be honest, it's not like adults do anything about it. Well the kid comes home in this example and plays the game and wants the feel of being unique through reward because it's something they're actually good at unlike in their life. I have no problem with this where the kid wants to earn said item and show it off in front of everyone. They earned it.

What is wrong with being unique through working hard for something? We go to work and make money in order to own a house or a car. It's human nature to want to show stuff off whether intentional or not because we're all in competition with each other no matter how you look at it. Examples could be going for jobs, applying to college, winning awards for being the best. Why should we have the Olympics? Why not just let some guy buy the gold medal so he can say he's a gold medalist in swimming? Why have the Super Bowl?

In truth, I can understand both viewpoints. The CM does give the "Casuals" what they want, and the "Hardcore" can still earn what they want from their tough grind. I see a lot state you can just buy the CM stuff from the GTN so I ask what's your point? The point that it's someone else's money that purchased said item? Why would that benefit anyone in any way? Sure, it's more money that can pay the cheques for the Devs, and hopefully put that capital back into the development of SWTOR, but why should everyone feel satisfied that they obtained said item with in-game credits instead of paying real currency? That statement just completely misses the point of what the OP is trying to state.

In truth, I actually agree that I would rather not see housing items on the CM. Reason? I've seen a lot of posts stating how crafting is broken. Whether that's true, or not because limited items are being crafted and used, I cannot say because I don't craft on a regular basis. What I would like to see is patterns that can be earned through different means that already exist, and completely craftable through playing the game. I mean, let's be serious here. You just introduced a new feature, granted no details have been released nor has an announcement been posted, but if you can place items in your home whether it be by a terminal or the "SWG" way (I doubt it); Bioware has an opportunity to implement something in the game that anyone can create and will be purchased because stats don't matter.

So really, I don't see a problem for those who want to "earn" their items, and actually praise it compared to just buying it. If said item was "the new epic thing to have", and it took time to earn whether by completing achievements, grinding, or whatever, and I can't have it because I can't play often enough. I'll accept it. It's not my fault that I have more important issues at hand.

Sure we all want our own stories to fulfill our wildest fantasies and having the "casual way" of earning stuff makes it easy to do, but it's almost like stealing the fun from the players who want to play the game. I want a Mercedes Benz as well, but I don't steal one just to brag that I have one. I need to earn it by working hard and making money. Doesn't it feel great when you purchase your first car or house because you did it with no one else's help? That's what some players want, not to completely be able to brag that they have "item X". They like the satisfaction they got said "item" on their own.

This generation of gamer tends to be lazy which can be seen through numerous examples. Why doesn't SWTOR just give us the option to pay to reach lv 55, and have all the best gear? Why not? I mean the CM is close, but it can't level us yet. We all know the CM isn't going anywhere and will exist until the game ends. Some players just like the idea of earning stuff, and that to me is what we should all strive for instead of being in "casual mode".

Tl;Dr - Point is that both points make sense, but what is wrong with earning stuff? Why do we have championship games in rl when we should just let "Joe Blow" pay for it so he can say he's the Super Bowl champ when he sat on his couch?

There is nothing wrong with earning stuff in game. But there's also nothing wrong with some of us buying some stuff off the Cartel Market. I don't think it's a question of being lazy most of the time - just that we don't all have the luxury of being able to spend long amounts of time playing.

I would never compare real-life achievements such as sporting trophies to this though - after all this is just a video game. And everyone who plays it is sat on their arse. So technically we're all lazy. :p

There is nothing wrong with earning stuff in game. But there's also nothing wrong with some of us buying some stuff off the Cartel Market. I don't think it's a question of being lazy most of the time - just that we don't all have the luxury of being able to spend long amounts of time playing.

I would never compare real-life achievements such as sporting trophies to this though - after all this is just a video game. And everyone who plays it is sat on their arse. So technically we're all lazy. :p

Tbh, I'm actually amazed someone responded to my random rant.:p

My point of the sporting trophies was that they are also just games. Not all of us are athletic. I mean it's just my opinion, but if earning stuff in-game makes some guy happy because they feel they are a part of something, I'd rather see that than him running into a random school and shoot up innocent people. Kind of harsh, I know, but I just can't stand seeing the CM where it's gone. It won't go away, but I can at least rant and rave like an idiot every once in awhile. ;)

Tbh, I'm actually amazed someone responded to my random rant.:p

My point of the sporting trophies was that they are also just games. Not all of us are athletic. I mean it's just my opinion, but if earning stuff in-game makes some guy happy because they feel they are a part of something, I'd rather see that than him running into a random school and shoot up innocent people. Kind of harsh, I know, but I just can't stand seeing the CM where it's gone. It won't go away, but I can at least rant and rave like an idiot every once in awhile. ;)

I don't really have issues with people who like to earn special stuff in game. Though sometimes I'm a little harsh in my wording. I just see the Cartel Market as adding extra choice in how I get my character to look. I understand that not everybody likes it though. I completely understand wanting to rant about it now and then too. Nothing like a good rant. :D

I don't really have issues with people who like to earn special stuff in game. Though sometimes I'm a little harsh in my wording. I just see the Cartel Market as adding extra choice in how I get my character to look. I understand that not everybody likes it though. I completely understand wanting to rant about it now and then too. Nothing like a good rant. :D

One thing I can say about the average player within the community is a lot of us tend to be very laid back. We don't take anything to heart. We just discuss our opinions, and have fun with it. Pretty enjoyable. I digress, I know.

In truth, the best way to not worry about new content is to quit for a few months. Come back, and there will be more content to do. As I stated earlier, F2P just doesn't cut it for those who want to play the game regularly. I always laugh when I'm checking out the Suggestion Box from players wanting Bioware/EA to give them more perks that subs have even though they don't pay for it. One thing I can say is that subs are still the driving force behind the profit for this MMO. Even the CM is mostly spent on by those who pay regularly. So I guess even though I don't particularly care for the CM, at least those who do have been keeping this game afloat. Hopefully, it'll be around a lot longer. :D

Incoming wall of text. Turn back now if you don't want to read it.

I can't be the only person who thinks this. And I realize I'm probably gonna get flamed for this.. but the way they do the cartel market sucks.

I'm all for having the cartel market. Don't get me wrong. But they handle it so poorly that it sucks the fun from the game.

Anything that's worth having in this game comes from the cartel market. Special armor, color crystals, mounts, pets, stafighters, weapons...

Now I know that everything "worth having" is also stuff that's cosmetic... but cosmetics are a major driving force behind why a lot of people play. Where is my proof? Look how successful the market is. That's my proof. People want this stuff. They want it enough to spend stupid amounts of money for them. Not a day goes by when I don't hear about some guy spending hundreds of dollars on hypercrates because they wanted some varactyle or something.

If people had to do missions, form groups, earn credits, or otherwise just play the damn game just to get that super awesome mount that's on the cartel market.. they'd do it! But why should they now when they can just spend $5 and get it instantly? Where the hell is the fun in that?

"Yay! I finally got that speeder I've been wanting!.... now what do I do?"

And that's not even the worst part. The cartel market is effectively double-charging subscribers for stuff they should already have paid for. They use that "Monthly cartel coin allowance" as a scapegoat into making subs think they are getting special deals. You can't do crap with 600ccs. Yeah, sure maybe a pack or two but even that is a major rip-off. It's $15 a month which gives you 500-600ccs (whether or not you have a security key). You can spend $10 specifically in the cartel market and get almost double that (1050ccs). $20 will give you quadruple the sub allowance (2400cc).

We pay to play a game where we pay more money to get the stuff we want. W.T.F.?

And yes, before you say anything, I know... the cartel market is mostly cosmetics and they aren't essential for doing well in the game. That's a cop-out. But I digress. While I think it's insanely stupid to pay a sub for only a portion of the game's content, I'll let it slide because it's cosmetics (even though I still highly disagree with that.) What I really hate is they are slowly starting to charge you for content now. And I'm not talking about expansions. Expansions I don't mind...

edit: (after thought, I realize that GSF is an expansion in itself, so I sort of contradict myself here. This part was poorly thought out. However I'm not gonna delete it because I still think it makes a point.)

GSF ships, to name an example. And this ties back into my first point. What the hell is the point of playing GSF and earning fleet requisition if you can only buy a fraction of the various ships they have available? There's like 2 or 3 per faction that you can actually buy with requisition... but like 10 you can get with cartel coins. So yeah, you spend time playing to upgrade your ship... fine. But what if you want to spend time earning requisition to buy a new ship? Where is the fun in just getting one instantly because you use real money?

It's like paying to go to a movie about a car chase that skips the whole car chase sequence. What's the point?

I've been playing this game from the beginning. I love this game. I play it a lot. But man it's just starting to get on my nerves. It just feels like as of late that I'm being charged two times for something that I was under the impression I paid for the first time.

If they pull this same crap with player housing... I will not be a happy camper. I'd like something to spend time in. Upgrading and pouring credits into. But if the stuff "worth having" ... no if anything comes from the cartel market, then I'm going to be severely disappointed. Why should I spend time and effort making something personalized when some rich schmuck can just come and get the super exclusive cartel items that are 10x better than the average stuff just because they put more real money into it than me? Why am I paying a subscription in the first place if people can just go and do that?

And please.. no body spout off that "blah blah entitlement!" crap. I'm not demanding more stuff because I pay a sub. I'm just questioning why I'm paying twice for the stuff I was under the impression I had already paid for the first time around. If they were to come out with an expansion or new content, then I'd gladly pay more money for that because it's new and I obviously didn't pay for it the first time. I just feel like I'm being swindled by all this cartel market BS.

/rant

(TL;DR: Go away, and don't reply)

Well, I sat down and read your entire post, so I hope you will do me the common curtesy of doing the same with my post.

Here goes:

First off, people are still playing the game. I have no problem getting people to play in groups with me most of the time.

So why are they playing if there is nothing in it for them?

Well, because there is.

There's reputation gear. There's credits and comms.

And anything you can buy off the Cartel Market can be bought with in-game credits off the GTN.

And in-game credits are earned by playing the game.

That said, I want to adress the point that is often brought up of "this should already be paid for with the subscription fee".

Have you been in another MMO where they release this much gear into the game every 4 weeks that is completely subscription based without a cash shop?

Because I haven't.

I can't think of any game where they pump in 1 new (or reskinned) set of weapons each month, 10+ new (or reskinned) sets of armour, 7-8 new (or reskinned) vehicles, a couple of pets, a couple of emotes and more stuff, each and every month.

And that is ontop of the "regular" content we get every 8 (well 9 now) weeks.

I have no doubt that if this game had been able to sustain itself on subs alone, we would not be innundated with the amount of new gear that we are seeing now (whether you like that gear or not is irrelevant, this is about it being included in the sub fee).

So the whole "this should be in the sub" is a flawed argument in my opinion.

Now, back to the "why should people play when they can pay" argument you bring up here.

Most people actually do play.

Have you noticed how much CM stuff is on the GTN?

Have you noticed how you can usually recognise the name of the sellers on those items?

That's because it is actually a relatively small number of the playerbase that is actually shelling out the dough.

Most others actually buy the cartel market stuff with in-game credits.

And those are most often earned by playing the game.

I have not seen a shred of evidence that people are not playing the game because they can buy everthing off the CM.

In fact, before the game went F2P, most people were complaining that it was too easy to make money in this game and that there was hardly anything to spend it on.

Most of the people in my guild don't buy anything off the cartel market (except for with their monthly stipend, and some not even that). But they have millions upon millions of credits so whenever there is a new pack out, they just cherrypick what they want from the pack on the GTN and then keep on playing the game.

But the way you describe it, everyone is just standing around on fleet and buying stuff off the CM, never playing anything.

That is just plain wrong my friend. I think you are deluding yourself here.

People do play the game.

Most of those who just stand around on fleet are either PvP players (regular or GSF, take your pick, bust mostly regular), people waiting for a group to form for their FP/OP, people crafting (yes, they still do that) or people waiting for their guild activity to start.

The rest are actually out there playing the game.

EDIT: I get that the underlying theme of your post is that "back in the day, items were earned by doing missions".

But times have changed. People don't want to do it that way any more, they want to play the game however they want and then just buy the stuff with in-game credits when they can afford it.

Yes, some buy the stuff with real cash, but that's up to them. Nobody is just buying stuff and not playing the game.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Oh, I play the game. Doing Ops, FPs, working on achievements. These things I do for fun, and yes, playing the GTN, too.

The fact is, there's nothing wrong with letting cool looking gear come from places other than OPs or PVP.

What cool looking gear can u get from ops? The gear I vendor every week? Ever vended any CM gear? I doubt it cause I sure haven't.

I can't think of a single item actually worth getting by playing the game. Their is no" oh I hope that cool looking head piece drops in the op this week. No world wide rare item drops either.

Well, keep laughing Chuckles, but most would prefer obtaining items organically. You know by playing, rather than, wasting time in front of the GTN.

And while i have given you, that all manner of side activities, are "playing the game" Playing the Auction House, is something else entirely. Probably the only activity, that has ever really bored me in MMOs, all kinds of grinding included.

Rubbish. Don't make the assumption that everyone wants to get the stuff from in game activities because unless you have proof of that, it is nothing more than an opinion.

I for one find a balance in playing the game and buying things in the CM and honestly find nothing wrong with it.

What cool looking gear can u get from ops? The gear I vendor every week? Ever vended any CM gear? I doubt it cause I sure haven't.

I can't think of a single item actually worth getting by playing the game. Their is no" oh I hope that cool looking head piece drops in the op this week. No world wide rare item drops either.

Those Hellfire Helms that go for six to seven figures would disagree, but yes, the in-game drops, especially ones that others can get from fellow players are few and far between. There should be more unique items available by playing the game. The Vendetta Jacket used to be unique, but with the addition of the new Imperial legacy jacket that mirrors it and actually looks better died that's out the window, but it is a cool piece that all subscribers get for free now.

We 'do' have stuff you can earn through hard work and achievement. It's called HM/NiM gear and Ranked PVP gear.

That ranked PvP gear is definitely in the eye of the beholder in terms of looks, and most don't favor it. Worse still the new set coming out is just a reskin of the old in different colors, and even the season one rewards are just that armor with flashing lights added on. The new FP rewards: reskins of old PvP gear.

I know that some of the CM items are reskins and reworkings as well, but it might, just might have been cool had say, Zayne Carrick's outfit been something found in a locker on some outpost at the end of a new quest line, or a new vibrosword that could only be gotten through rep.

To some extent it is a perception of efforts. New CM items are released pretty much monthly at the worst, where as new faction Rep gear only comes out when new areas are released, as do other types of rewards, and never in the volume of what is seen elsewhere.

Lastly, yes, many players can simply buy desired gear off the GTN, which I often do, so we aren't locked out of getting it, but it just doesn't feel like there is a consistent effort being put into getting players memorable rewards, especially in the clothing arena. It isn't sucking the fun out, but there's definitely a slow leak.

I run probably a 60/40 mix of in-game to CM gear between all of my characters, so there's a lot of variety achievable with sets from both sides, but the lack of adaptive armoring that can be earned or found in-game, as well as slaps like a recoloring of PvP gear with no attempt at all to innovate in terms of the design is pretty poor in terms of balance.

Edited by Prototypemind