Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I read the F2P page and signed in for about 30mins, i've seen 2 guildmates sell all there items, give there cash to someone, drop guild with last message,"good bye, i'm uninstalling SWTOR now."

So based on my first 30 minutes, on the day of the annoucement, this game is LOSSING END GAME PLAYERS. Which is funny when EA is trying to get new people wth this new F2P thing; time they get here no one will be here (but some dps classes i'm sure lol) so it'll take them 6 months just to get to ec, assuming they are allowed in, or not bored and quit, or by then i'm sure there will be a much better MMORPG out to play and; BAM. ALL ea's free to play plans used against them because they were to busy thinking about their own game and forgot that other gaming companies see them pushing a million of their fans away, and make or find a way to atract them to other games. Which is already happening, people are talking about going back to wow, DnD, ....

Personally I can't stop but to laugh at Ea, they make a MMORPG of one of the ALL TIME BEST EPIC SYFY movies of all time, make a really nice MMORPG out of it; THEN (And here is the BEST part) they find ways to push away all there present subscribers with the hope of getting more NON subscribers that do not have to pay. SO whom ever is running ea apparently DOES NOT LIKE money lol; since so far he/she is pushing away paying customers for non paying ones. Thats like paying to eat at a restaurant then the server comes over and says, "even though you are paying, we are seating this homeless man at your table who is not paying to eat for free with you."lol

Next patch will be called, "The Great EXODUS of the old republic", all the founders leaving, assuming they have not already.....:(

Would be nice if they concentrate on expanding storyline and leave the bling for later. They should have made it FTP at the start like so many had suggested! I guess i will most likely be leaving at the end of the year like i left STO. Perhaps i'll try the secret world (i hear that it is story driven) or go back to E.V.E online

I think you need to realise 90% of the items in the cash shop are going to be aimed at getting the F2P players to spend cash on boosts.

Someone like myself who has multiple level 50s and does not need/want to level another character only has Operations and a few more WZs to look forward to, how is that worth $15 a month?

F2P is the worst thing you can do to this game that is barely 6 months old. If you are having dev issues atleast take the game offline for a bit and work to fix them, yeah you will loose money doing that but it is still alot less than what you would loose with making it F2P. Bioware you gave in to the complainers when you announced that release would be the same date world wide and you gave in when players complained about the ending to ME3. Seriously, are you or are you not in control here?:mad:

Since I read the F2P page and signed in for about 30mins, i've seen 2 guildmates sell all there items, give there cash to someone, drop guild with last message,"good bye, i'm uninstalling SWTOR now."

So based on my first 30 minutes, on the day of the annoucement, this game is LOSSING END GAME PLAYERS.

That just means there will be new end game players!!

I hope you go bankrupt. I will not buy another Bioware product voluntarily again.

QQ? Mmmm seems you think your entitled to something but you are not. Good luck don't let the door hit ya where your mama split ya. :wea_03:

That just means there will be new end game players!!

ROFL this is the biggest lie about the F2P model, most the F2P'ers will be in the lowbie zone of levels for the most part, not saying all of them are super casual, but likely they are and playing this game in particular for the V/O. In other words you will slowly see the 50 pop's go down the drain w/ few new players to fill their spots. In other words the death of SWTOR has begun........

One word comes to mind that describes today.......

BIOFAIL!

So the Digital Deluxe people get screwed then? Collectors get 1000 Cartel Coins & a Banner, while those who purchased Digital Deluxe get jack diddly?

JJ

That would appear to be the case, yes.

As for the F2P change, well I will hold off on judgement with a tepid nervousness. Watching two games I loved playing greatly and did for many years go the same route left me with a very sour taste in my mouth. While the game content came out more frequently there were some good sized bug issues form time to time and the quality of the quests seemed to wane. With that I saw the community get bigger but with that also came a lower quality of person. And I'm not talking about the person ability to maneuver a keyboard and be a "leet" player, I am referring to the gimmie gimmie gimmie entitlement mentality and in general sheer laziness associated with that influx of people. Both of those ruined my game experience in both of those games (both owned by the same company). I really enjoy the game and most of the people in it, I would hate to have to consider this game another fore gone conclusion and have to walk away because I just can not deal with those kinds of people. Truth is, bugs I can understand, deal with, and accept. Poor community, I will not.

QQ? Mmmm seems you think your entitled to something but you are not. Good luck don't let the door hit ya where your mama split ya. :wea_03:

Actually, if he, like me, pre-ordered/purchased SWTOR, he IS entitled to something. Namely, a product worthy of the money he paid. He, like me, obviously feels he did NOT receive a quality product for which he paid and that's something only he can decide.

Jedi need to die painfully so! I mean really the endless whine of my jedi my jedi is pathetic! You side gets to win every time in it's cliched cannoned good vs evil crap. Sith rule jedi drool! Besides jedi do not have thrones and since you jedi naturally stink it is only fair that you look like walking turds. DEATH TO THE JEDI!!!

My only problem is BioWare once again showing it's "Empire Bias" by making all the rewards "Sith" rewards... Where is the Jedi Master's chair? Where are robes that make us look like Jedi and not homeless Egyptian hobo's?? :/

The "we have the best fans in the business" part made me chuckle a little. Online forums are almost universally vile but the SWTOR forums have been particularity nasty since launch.

in the MMO world the more vile the forums the more popular the game... lol

I don't post on forums often, and I for one am not a huge fan of F2P optioned games. The reason behind this is mostly because those of us who play the subscription based model up to a point worked hard for what we did get. What I usually see, and hope that this is not going to be the case here, is the destruction of moral because the F2P model makes buying end game content, gear and special items easy for anyone. I can understand old content items or even vanity items but if this game goes where you can buy your way into endgame content instead of earning it, I will be very disappointed.

On the same note however, I am looking forward to the influx of new players. This will make the game more accessible to people who just can’t afforded to shell out $15 per month. Or those who play so many different MMO’s that they can change games without worrying about wasting their money.

In conclusion, please BioWear take a good hard look at what you put in the micro transaction shop and don’t put stuff in there that will make the subscribers, like me, just lose faith in your game.

I will continue to subscribe but if I see end game stuff for sale in the shop I might just leave.

Explain one thing to me:

If the subscribers have unrestricted access to everything what do they need cartel coins for???

Cartel Coins are a bonus to those of us who remain on a subscription base. It allows us to purchase extra shinnies from their little store. But ultimately, this isn't what the cartel coins are all about. This is a new store to throw a bunch of shinnies into to entice the F2P players to spend money to get coins so they can buy things from the store. Basically the game has gone the way of micro transactions for everyone.

Game economy wrecked is the easiest negative to up and slap the community in the face. Game could easily be turned into a pvp based game. Worst case the game becomes about only buying and selling rares to buy gambling boxes like in perfect world international!

I'm fairly new to online gaming so I'm not sure about the positive or negative effects this will have on the game, but more people on the servers is never a bad thing. What I am interested to know is more specifics on what differences there will be between F2P and sub players, and whether or not those differences are going to be worth 15 dollars a month.

Just to add to the info and stuff....

Star trek Online went F2P some time ago. Since then the graphics have had a major overhaul, top notch for an MMO.

There have been several updates to the game. Events, missions, fleet owned starbases you can build etc etc.

Just because a game goes F2P does not mean it is dead. With the economy like it is F2P is probably going to be the future. Several games are already going the hybrid route. WoW, STO and now SWToR.

Give it some time. I bought lifetime sub for STO. I was furious when it went F2P thinking the game was dead. I was wrong. I took a few months off when it went F2P, came back to amazing graphics, almost ever bug was fixed, and more content then I could finish in months of casual play.

GW2 is going to be F2P. Personally I will never play it. Not fond of the game or the IP. So for now Im playing SWToR, WoW, STO, and The Secret World. I cant afford to play everything. And was fixing to cancel SWToR in favor of TSW. Now I can play all of them. Only paying monthly for WoW and TSW. I love this game, the PvP is the most fun ive had since DAoC. While not the same the warzones are unique and very fun. I pray for huttball to be brought to WoW actually :p

So in short, give it time. STO is far from dead and is steady being updated. Going F2P might give more a chance to play another game. We have to remember that games are for fun. As long as you have fun it doesn't matter what people say about it. If you log in and stop having fun then move on. If you have fun then enjoy the ride!

Show me one successful F2P game.

Right, you can't, there aren't any. Still if they start releasing content patches every month I may play, a content patch every 3 months, meh, boring.

Don't turn this into STO !!!

For the love of the Force, please, please, please do not turn this into the disaster STO turned into....assuming a game store is coming...and again for the love of the orce....nothing but social armors, and skins for copanions....

Just to add to the info and stuff....

Star trek Online went F2P some time ago. Since then the graphics have had a major overhaul, top notch for an MMO.

There have been several updates to the game. Events, missions, fleet owned starbases you can build etc etc.

Just because a game goes F2P does not mean it is dead. With the economy like it is F2P is probably going to be the future. Several games are already going the hybrid route. WoW, STO and now SWToR.

Give it some time. I bought lifetime sub for STO. I was furious when it went F2P thinking the game was dead. I was wrong. I took a few months off when it went F2P, came back to amazing graphics, almost ever bug was fixed, and more content then I could finish in months of casual play.

GW2 is going to be F2P. Personally I will never play it. Not fond of the game or the IP. So for now Im playing SWToR, WoW, STO, and The Secret World. I cant afford to play everything. And was fixing to cancel SWToR in favor of TSW. Now I can play all of them. Only paying monthly for WoW and TSW. I love this game, the PvP is the most fun ive had since DAoC. While not the same the warzones are unique and very fun. I pray for huttball to be brought to WoW actually :p

So in short, give it time. STO is far from dead and is steady being updated. Going F2P might give more a chance to play another game. We have to remember that games are for fun. As long as you have fun it doesn't matter what people say about it. If you log in and stop having fun then move on. If you have fun then enjoy the ride!

STO is a piece of crap sinse F2P and those filthy PWE overlords. Non stop "updates" of gambling schemes with lockboxes or the Zen-Store trash. STO is nothing but a microtransaction store. I pray that TOR NEVER resembles STO highly flawed F2P system.

Edited by Eillack

I am so voting for the rancor just to keep the likes of you from annoying me in warzones and FP with childish group cheers and dancing!

everybody needs to go now and vote for the Party Jawa... if I get stuck with a stupid *** Carbonite guy or a holo Rancor I will be pissed