Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Pierce? Wouldn't he just do the same thing he does with the FemWarrior? I'd say Quinn's more likely. (At least I'd hope it'd be Quinn that would be enough to get me to play a male SW. I love my female SW too much right now).

As for Andronkius... ;_; my poor SI surrounded by crazies.

Yeah, but no one likes Quinn. Pierce's romance just feels rushed and half-arsed, making me wonder if it was actually intended when they made the character or if they'd originally intended him to be a male only romance.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrrgh! How could I forget Risha?! - Probably because I've tried to avoid playing my Smuggler as much as my soon-to-be born Jedi Knight. Can't really comment on Ashara - haven't met her :)

I did buy the blue and cream-coloured legacy set (the legacy 20 one) for my smuggler - and damn it looks good on her :cool:

So, yup, add Risha to my list.

Funnily enough I don't mind re-rolling. As soon as I knew sgras weren't arriving for a while, I made the decision to play anyway - using the character's I've already created as a practice run - much the same as I do with my favourite single-player games. I got a good feel for the mechanics and story, as well as a little pvp action - enough to have fun but not so much that I'd be giving up a boat-load of gear. Thanks to the character slot increase, I'll be able to keep some for the gtn/storage/making fast credits with space missions etc

Then as soon as we get the go-ahead, I'll be making my 'true' characters and really commit - to pvp, maybe some flashpoints too.

Obviously that's just me, it would be perfect for those not wanting to re-roll to be able to either re-set the companion conversations or have the romance be able to start from wherever they already are story-wise.

Edited by MoogleNut

Okay, limiting my list at this point to classes where I play a male toon. I will only be addressing male companions.

Bounty Hunter - Torian. Obviously. :D

Trooper - Aric, of course. I might have to reroll my trooper as Cathar for that.

Inquisitor - Andronikos. Sorry Talos, I imagine you do swing from my side of the tree but...

Consular - Zenith. Not enough male Twi'lek dancers in the game. This would be a start.

Smuggler - Corso, naturally. I also think Bowdaar would be funny. Inappropriate, unlikely, but funny. :D

my main intrest is kira. i was very intrested in vette... but after completing all of her quests, we have an almost sisterly bond, and idk how i feel about changing that. nadia grell is my second intrest, i haven't actually met her ye as i've i've never had a consular high enough. anyway, somethign else i would like to see with this, is the option to turn down opposite gender flirts by your other companions by letting them know you're not intrested in men. some of the options for turning people down are... a little harsh...

Oh, that reminds me of my most recent playthrough. I decided to give the Bastila/FemRev mod available a shot, and I do remember it being pretty terrible at times.

Interesting that you guys say this. I'm only aware of the one femRevan/Bastila mod, but the one I've always used had the author explicitly mentioning writing new, more respectful lines because the default maleRevan/Bastila romance is so full of obnoxious condescension and verbal harassment. I've always felt it played quite well - there are some douchey lines but they're AFAIK all native with the flags stripped out, and you generally have a new option to say something better. And having looked through her dlg file, she only refers to Revan with a male pronoun or descriptor of any kind once in the whole romance, so the necessary cuts are pretty minimal (pity the poor male Carth fanciers, who'd have to edit "beautiful" out of every third sentence).

Also, I've been permanently warped by that romance, and my JK is thus in hopleless love with Satele Shan, so that's not going anywhere with or without SGR. :( I'm not a big fan of the "little sister" romances to begin with, really... no Kira or Mako or Nadia for me, regardless of PC gender. My Trooper would love to get in on the Jaxo action, though.

I'm extremely interested in which established companion characters Bioware will make SGRA-able. I, personally, am holding out for Vette or Corso. But, in any case, I'm just glad they're putting them in.

All of my in-game characters are not romancing at all currently, but I do like the idea of SGRA companions being available should I change my mind further along. (Well, for my Knight, I want Scourge romanceable, but that is neither here nor there...)

I'm excited, and I hope this Update gives us a little more leeway into the SGRA side of things, even if it's just adding Flirt options with same gendered NPCs...

I'm not picky. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but no one likes Quinn. Pierce's romance just feels rushed and half-arsed, making me wonder if it was actually intended when they made the character or if they'd originally intended him to be a male only romance.

I like Quinn D:

Pierce is firmly in friend category for me. And can you really call that a romance? It's more a friends with benefits thing than anything.

I like Quinn D:

Pierce is firmly in friend category for me. And can you really call that a romance? It's more a friends with benefits thing than anything.

To me Pierce was more like a one night stand (did that after the Quinncident). I have to say I kind of like Quinn as well - you either love him or love to hate him. If/when Bioware extends the companion story arcs they really do need to revisit Quinn and the Quinncident, anything less would just be poor form.

"Quinncident" may be my favorite new SWTOR buzzword.

I'd like to see Mako romance-enabled for both genders. I know my (straight, church-lady) sister does as well.

I would also like to toot the horn for non-companion same-gender NPC [Flirts] - which is the only thing keeping Smuggler from being my favorite class hands down. As matters stand, it's difficult because I love the class dynamics, I love the story, the banter and even the voice is just right for my Smuggler RP main. But I just get gradually more and more teed off playing him, and need to take a long break before I can come back. It's a love-hate thing, and I'd much, much rather just enjoy it.

Interesting that you guys say this. I'm only aware of the one femRevan/Bastila mod, but the one I've always used had the author explicitly mentioning writing new, more respectful lines because the default maleRevan/Bastila romance is so full of obnoxious condescension and verbal harassment. I've always felt it played quite well - there are some douchey lines but they're AFAIK all native with the flags stripped out, and you generally have a new option to say something better. And having looked through her dlg file, she only refers to Revan with a male pronoun or descriptor of any kind once in the whole romance, so the necessary cuts are pretty minimal (pity the poor male Carth fanciers, who'd have to edit "beautiful" out of every third sentence).

Also, I've been permanently warped by that romance, and my JK is thus in hopleless love with Satele Shan, so that's not going anywhere with or without SGR. :( I'm not a big fan of the "little sister" romances to begin with, really... no Kira or Mako or Nadia for me, regardless of PC gender. My Trooper would love to get in on the Jaxo action, though.

I recall seeing two romance mods back then. One with added content, and one where the game simply ignores the gender flag. Regardless, it's been too long since I played my one male KotOR playthrough, so I'm honestly not sure if the (player) dialogue was added with the mod or not.

Maybe I was just more accepting (or more easily impressed) when I was younger.

@Uluain

Yes, the [Flirts] things is the bit that confuses me. Yes, you didn't get the SGRA recorded/encoded in time (ahahaha) for release, but you also managed to gloss over having your voice-actor extras record "What's a stud like you doing in a place like this?"

I get the feeling the initial blow might have been a bit softer if we had been allowed same-gender Flirts with NPCs on release. Maybe they did have them and decided to release all the LGB stuff together at once (i.e. keep it back until someone made a stink and then make it magically appear 18 months later).

Edited by Tatile

To me Pierce was more like a one night stand (did that after the Quinncident). I have to say I kind of like Quinn as well - you either love him or love to hate him. If/when Bioware extends the companion story arcs they really do need to revisit Quinn and the Quinncident, anything less would just be poor form.

Yes that really does need some expansion. It has a smidge in game (but you can't drag him around like I do DX) but yeah needs moar closure.

I have nothing to back this up, but I think they considered and dismissed same-gender [Flirts] as too visible or "in your face" for the demographic that is so against SGRs in general, thinking that companion romances would be a sufficient compromise as they are relatively low-profile and not as frequently encountered. Any objection to in-your-faceness experienced in response to opposite-gender content seems to have been either overlooked or applicable only to an insignificant fraction of the player base.

I never respond well to the notion that I am insignificant. I would really like some word from BioWare whether they have thought about this, and if there is a possibility of it being addressed in the future. I have a Same-Gender [Flirt] Prompts thread in the suggestion box but it is pretty buried and I don't like to bump my threads - it looks petulant. If anyone else wants to revive it, I'd love for it to get more screen time and potential developer attention.

Edited by Uluain

I thought it might be good to look back to the start of this thread, and where we began in January, to take stock of what we have learned since then. It is easy not to see the positive in a frustrating situation, but we have made progress. Then again, there are things we are still in the dark about. So let's revisit the very first post, and compare what we knew then and what we know now.

And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

This one was addressed at the Guild Summit, where we were told we could expect SGRs with other new story content this year. More recently, it was confirmed that this will be with the content update that introduces the new planet, Makeb. So I think we can call this answered.

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

We still have no idea how new romance options will work in regards to companions for whom we have already explored story arcs. So big ??? still there.

THIS IS A BIGGIE, story guys! People have put characters on ice rather than risk missing their chance at romancing a favorite companion. Yes, that was their choice, but clarification on this point alone would be a huge step forward as we approach the arrival of this content in-game.

My guess at how this might work is that SGR conversations will work like OGR - it is unlocked by having reached a point in class story, companion affection, companion story and whatever other things usually apply.

So say you have had Mako with you all along, done all of her story content, gotten her affection high and all that. You've long since passed where an opposite-gender character could have romanced her. But because you qualify for a conversation that you haven't yet had, the option will pop up for SGR - just like for any conversation with a companion that you have not yet had, but meet the criteria to unlock.

No need to re-roll, no need to reset all conversations (with potential for doubling up on XP), no need to wait until Lvl 50 to unlock it, if you are playing a new character. No one misses out.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

Well, aside from companion customization kits available from vendors, I don't think this has ever been addressed. But it's really not germane to same-gender romance, so we'll call it a moot point as far as our interest here.

So one hit, one miss and one not on target, as far as the initial post goes.

Edited by Uluain

Should we start taking bets on when Biwoare's going to release more information about SGRA's? Mine's three hours before they drop live or not at all (and sneak them into the game because they're ashamed to admit they kittened up.) Edited by Tatile

Should we start taking bets on when Biwoare's going to release more information about SGRA's? Mine's three hours before they drop live or not at all (and sneak them into the game because they're ashamed to admit they kittened up.)

Put me down for "They'll answer a thread about it after it goes live".

Only after they have 50 bajillion threads going "Oh noes, teh gays" and the forums devolve into a text version of the French Revolution.

There will be a vocal minority opposed, but I think most don't care or think they should be included.

At least, that's the impression I get when the topic of SGRA's comes up in General chat on my server.

Just yesterday, the topic came up and the people chatting were wondering why it wasn't included considering they've added it into other games. One person did say that they don't want to see that type of "lifestyle" in their game b/c they were older (which is funny considering some argue that the young must be protected from this content) but a bunch of people replied to this person by explaining the obvious: you don't see what others do with their companion stories.

One person did say that they don't want to see that type of "lifestyle" in their game b/c they were older (which is funny considering some argue that the young must be protected from this content) but a bunch of people replied to this person by explaining the obvious: you don't see what others do with their companion stories.

There is also the tiny issue that it's not just their game. Drives me spare when someone says "Not in MY game!". I didn't realise these people secretly owned the entire game, well that's me told.

I am suprised this is still a topic - I was under the impression that it won't be part of the game because either Lucas Arts or George Lucas himself said "no"....

As a male player who prefers to play female characters I'd obviously generally be interested in such an option, but so far I have not seen any romance option in that ally I'd be really interested in. I have a level 50 Jedi Shadow, an Imperial Agent who is level 50 as well, but hasn't finished her class story yet, and a level 37 Jedi Sentinel.

If I think through the options available to male characters: Kira? I just can't picture her as lesbian. I really like her, it would just feel like a betrayel of friendship to try anything. Nadia? Nadia's a girl, not a woman, imho. Any romance with her, regardless whether straight or gay would just feel wrong. Temple maybe, I didn't really use her much with my IA, because I play with Vector as companion 90% of the time. I am not sure whether if it is even option for male characters because she's not strictly a companion character but a lesbian relationship with the character introduced as Watcher 2 in the class story line would be the only I would opt for at the moment.

Curiously, even though I would have no problem with lesbian relationships and just cease to think about male gay relationships, I find the thought of inter-species relationships somewhat disturbing. If I am ever going to let my primary character, twi'lek Jedi Shadow, a romance it's going to be Zenith (if that is an option). Not because he's male, but because he's twi'lek. Having a romance with a human would be somewhat strange.

PS: :D Ijust looked up the article of Watcher 2 myself, and it says her name was "Shara". I absolutely didn't know that, I don't remember her name ever being mentioned. That's the name of my Imperial Agent character as well - Shara Midnight. And yes, I know that Watcher 2 is human while my IA is chiss. There are limits to my distaste, so to say.

I don't wanna go into spoilers but the sweetest romance I've seen so far was a mini-romance with a non-companion character. To see what I mean you have to a) Imperial Agent b) Chiss c) female.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

There is also the tiny issue that it's not just their game. Drives me spare when someone says "Not in MY game!". I didn't realise these people secretly owned the entire game, well that's me told.

Indeed.

An individual does have some control over what content they experience on a character, but they don't have a say as to what options could possibly be available to others. You think that would be enough control, but apparently not.

It has been mentioned that the only way you would ever see 'content' from a PC/companion SGRA would be via emotes...but the game supports that currently...and I use it XD

I am suprised this is still a topic - I was under the impression that it won't be part of the game because either Lucas Arts or George Lucas himself said "no"....

George Lucas notably donated quite a lot of money to the support of same-sex marriages in the US, so I would be very much surprised if he was willing to give the LGB community equality, but not allowing the same equality in his own universe.

It's far more likely that some overly sensitive or bleeding heart (we must make them feel special and protected!) started this clusterkitten of a policy.

Edited by Tatile

Why would George say no? He gave $50,000 of his own money and $50,000 of LucasFilm money to support marriage equality in California. That's a matter of public record. We see a lot of "George won't like it" and I have no idea where that comes from. Nope - George is cool with it. LucasArts hasn't said a word, and both EA and BioWare have a good track record for inclusiveness.

As for when they'll comment in here? Hmm... I am guessing that there will be a snappy new statement pre-release, but it won't be on the forums. We'll see it when a regular here sees it and links to it. Maybe we'll get a link here from Community Support, even. But a substantive answer in this thread? Well, it hasn't happened before... That said, I do like to be surprised. ;)