Game Update 5.7 and Beyond

EricMusco

Many of them will be, but not all. It depends on the story we are telling with that particular Companion returning. I will make sure we note that for the future returns so you know which is which.

Would any consideration be given to being able to claim these companions from a terminal if we want them for another character? No new lines would need to be recorded and it would be no different immersion-wise from running with Shae/Hexid/etc before you meet them in the story. I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm fine with using my imagination to fill in the gaps. There are definitely certain companions I was looking forward to getting on other classes.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class-specific means that only the Class that those Companions are originally from will be able to get them. So in this case...

• Risha & Corso - Smuggler only
  • Andronikos - Inquisitor only

-eric

Thank you, Eric!

I, for one, applaud this change of direction with regards to bringing back companions.

We have not seen any class specific content since SoR and it's badly needed.

1. Improve the uniqueness of alts, that has been really damaged with the KotXX storyline.

If i'm playing Swtor, I'm not just playing a character, but I'm playing my JK or Smuggler etc. It's a completely different experience. Eg. with my JK, I'm totally serious and bent on saving the galaxy. With my smuggler, I'm laid back and just go with the flow (and flirt whatever female comes my way, lol)

It's the initial draw of the game, that has been taken away from us, first slowly, and then completely with the latest expansions.

I understand there are some hard feelings here, because of the particular classes being in focus here.

But think about it, would you rather get a boring one size fits all, Kotor-esque, mute protagonist type of Alert for YOUR class companion, or rather wait a little and get a chance for a meaningful, cinematic class specific reunion with your companion.

I, for one, would rather wait for a meaningful one.

2. It improves the shelf life of the game for Bioware.

This game really needs replayability added to it, which has been also very much tarnished by the KotXX expansions and the lack of new multiplayer content before 5.6.

So I hope this is something that will make people at least consider playing another class to take them through the non-class specific story. I know I now have one more reason to do it, that I was kinda dreading to do so far.

Edited by Galahard

Yes, it will be an Alliance Alert. However, it will be a cinematic and not a "KOTOR-style" conversation like the other alerts.

-eric

So let me get this straight: I had to sit through the Kaliyo chapter on EVERY character I brought through KotFE and I can even repeat that chapter, but someone like Vector, a companion I actually LIKE, I can only play through ONCE? On only my Agent? And it can never be repeated AND he won't be in any future update? Because that's how Alliance Alert companions have been treated.

You guys are breaking my heart and making me tired :(

I personally am fine with it being class centric as there is no connection between them and other classes until and unless they open up the romance options to include those that were from other classes which is something i think they should consider.

In fact, ill cross post that to suggestions.

What about the consular companions? When the consular start getting companions back? We only have one back so far. :( The knight only has 2 back while the rest of the classes have 3 or 4 of theirs back. Can we get an ETA for the next consular companion?

This. I have zero interest in any of the new companions. I want Theran Cedrex back :mad:

Thank you for the responses, Eric.

Will facial customizations work in the alliance cut scenes?

I'm still very interested to know what version of our companions we'll be getting back during the alliance alerts. Will my returned companion function like the old, vanilla version or will it have the mechanics of the new, "Fallen Empire" version? With it being class-specific, I now have reason to hope that it could be just like getting the companion from the terminal.

I would absolutely be thrilled if companions go back to being class specific. That's probably one of the biggest issues I've had with the knights expansions. I absolutely HATE how many companions we have, and how they've lost their "souls" by becoming everyone's pets. Here's hoping this is a small "retcon" of sorts.

I would absolutely be thrilled if companions go back to being class specific. That's probably one of the biggest issues I've had with the knights expansions. I absolutely HATE how many companions we have, and how they've lost their "souls" by becoming everyone's pets. Here's hoping this is a small "retcon" of sorts.

I'm the opposite. I was looking forward to having all of my favorite companions on the character I liked the most. Having all my favorite companions on a class that they normally didn't come with. Now I highly suspect Most of my favorite companions will be Class Specific, so I will have NO REASON to run any other characters through the last 2 expansions since I've seen that storyline both with a LS, and DS alt. I've been avoiding taking my main through either expansion, and now I won't even consider to run my sniper through it.

Emotions aside, I do find myself in a spot where I am rather a bit bored with the game. Haven't really played this week, just logged in for a couple of GTN sales and logged out again.

What's happening right now is still the fall out of Galactic Command as far as I'm concerned. I already can't be bothered doing ranked group pvp anymore and there's not really an alternative. The double event worked because it sorta felt like I was still going somewhere with gearing my toons. For all intents and purposes I am ready for the next expansion.

The current one sadly had a number of things that didn't work out. Uprisings and Iokath dailies come to mind and for me also KotFE/ET has no replay value for me. The newer FPs I do like but I can only do them so often without getting bored again of course.

Not sure when my sub runs out and I'm not quitting as I expect to be back but I definitely am not really playing the game at the moment cause it's just not interesting enough right now. I'm hoping the next expansion will bring something that has a bit more of a lasting value.

Actually I am doing about the same....But there will be no next expansion....as much as I want there to be the signs I am seeing are not even remotely suggesting that...They even began cutting on voice actors by making the companions class specific all of a sudden....do you all think the reason is something else...

For the first time in years I think I will let my sub run out. There is nothing for me to do anymore...replaying the same content for another year is retarded (4 years is enough for me) and i prolly will go try ESO.

I was at least expecting EAware to have the gall and say to us clearly the direction this game will be heading...but this thread really said it all...its going to be 2017-esque of content.

Edited by ExarSun

I would have LOVED it if they would have said, "Okay, guys, you have X amount of slots to be filled (CM/Promotion/Plot companions don't count towards this limit). Here are all the companions. Do those quests and build your own roster. Choices matter (They really won't)! And then your ACTIVE companion will participate in the cut scenes." And then all the companions will have basically the same response lines, but Vette sounds and acts different than say, Vector (with his "We and Us" thing).

They already have those voice actors present to voice their Alliance Alerts and what-not, I can't imagine why something like this would be more expensive or difficult to do.

It would have made each character's story feel a bit more unique even though it's the SAME story. It would have added the illusion of individuality.

I realize that the "Build your own roster" already exists in the form of "Just don't do certain Alliance Alerts" but that's lazy and it doesn't alleviate the fact that ALL my characters have Kaliyo, but not all of them can have Vector if I wanted them to :/

Actually I am doing about the same....But there will be no next expansion....

The fact that Musco's post about the miniscule amount of 'content' we get on January 23 and the open-ended non-specific "roadmap" that is coming sometime in the future doesn't even MENTION an expansion leads me to believe that we aren't getting one.

Which is why it's even more urgent that they fill us in on what we ARE getting.

It's not rocket science. Just type out a paragraph saying "We know you want more content, we are not going to shut this game down within the next 12 months and we plan to feature a new expansion sometime in the near future" and be done with it, Keith. That took me 15 seconds to type.

The longer we go without a clear statement that this game is going to exist into 2019, the worse you are making it on yourselves, and the fewer people will keep paying subscription money to keep you Bioware folks employed. Remember, your futures depend on us spending our money too, after all.

I would have LOVED it if they would have said, "Okay, guys, you have X amount of slots to be filled (CM/Promotion/Plot companions don't count towards this limit). Here are all the companions. Do those quests and build your own roster. Choices matter (They really won't)! And then your ACTIVE companion will participate in the cut scenes." And then all the companions will have basically the same response lines, but Vette sounds and acts different than say, Vector (with his "We and Us" thing).

That's a great idea. Why didn't someone at BW think of that?

Just type out a paragraph saying "We know you want more content, we are not going to shut this game down within the next 12 months and we plan to feature a new expansion sometime in the near future" and be done with it, Keith. That took me 15 seconds to type.

You know they can't do that. Or at least you should. If they did that and it turns out to be a lie they're liable for sub fees, etc. If they say the opposite and announce that sometime in the near future they're going to shut down they shoot themselves in the foot income wise. Think it through before you get all angsty. You just sound petulant otherwise.

Edited by kodrac

The fact that Musco's post about the miniscule amount of 'content' we get on January 23 and the open-ended non-specific "roadmap" that is coming sometime in the future doesn't even MENTION an expansion leads me to believe that we aren't getting one.

Which is why it's even more urgent that they fill us in on what we ARE getting.

It's not rocket science. Just type out a paragraph saying "We know you want more content, we are not going to shut this game down within the next 12 months and we plan to feature a new expansion sometime in the near future" and be done with it, Keith. That took me 15 seconds to type.

The longer we go without a clear statement that this game is going to exist into 2019, the worse you are making it on yourselves, and the fewer people will keep paying subscription money to keep you Bioware folks employed. Remember, your futures depend on us spending our money too, after all.

This is of course correct but I am afraid many people don't get why. This is EAware's style...always have been. Server merges fiasco with West Coast and APAC players, promised things not working as written and so many examples over the years. They are always seeking to get the quick buck, the short term solution. I honestly thought they would ruin this game finally lot later than 2017...but i was wrong...As long as there are people that are fine with scraps when other games, even lot smaller than this one offer way more, the situation would not improve sadly.

I would at least expect and honest answer....an expansion...yes or no....planning for the near/far future....but this is too much to ask apparently ( and dont talk to me they cant because business wise it would be bad...when star wars is on the rise what have they done? Nothing. Those people clearly aren't thinking business wise)....I consider myself a calm person, tolerated EA's behaviour towards this game in particular for years, but no more. A content which 20 percent of the population would do for 20-30 mins and then nothing else for 2 months...repeat...is a bit disheartening for me personally.

Edited by ExarSun

You know they can't do that. Or at least you should. If they did that and it turns out to be a lie they're liable for sub fees, etc. If they say the opposite and announce that sometime in the near future they're going to shut down they shoot themselves in the foot income wise. Think it through before you get all angsty. You just sound petulant otherwise.

I'm perfectly welcome to my opinion. And they're perfectly welcome to reassure their paying customers that we'll be getting some great stuff in the future and give us reasons why we should continue to subscribe, or cancel our subscriptions... and the more cancellations, the less likely the rest of you will have a game to play down the road. Just because that doesn't register with you, doesn't make it wrong.

Edited by damonskye

Returning Companions! (these Missions will be Class-specific)

• Risha & Corso
  • Andronikos

Glad to see more companions are coming back, though I hope they'll get more "story" to them than Malavai and Elara got. Hoping this means other "love interests" are not far behind.... such as: Mako, Vector, Kira, Jaesa, Ashara, Akaavi, Nadia, Felix and Doc

(especially "Cyber gal, Mako" (for the BH character)....how could she see the galactic communication with our character at the climax of KoTFE and not come running? No way her implants didn't catch that!)

Are people aware that if class specific companion alerts follow on the track record of semi unique companions that have returned through alerts that they play no role in the game after being returned.

Nico Okarr - Greatest Smuggler in the Galaxy, never once flies you in or out of anywhere you need to get, you use Tora over him.

HK-55 - I have been informed that repairing him was a dream.

Master Ramos - A Chiss Jedi who could have accompanied you to fight and redeem another Chiss Jedi but is no where in sight.

Shae Vizla - Mandalorian The Avenger yet no where to be seen when Mandalorians are fighting over Voss.

Zo-om - as fixing HK was a dream this likely didn't happen either.

Darth Hexid - Fairly certain never got updated from when the VO was recorded for the Dark v Light event so utterly stand alone.

So these companions are going to be returned, be a few lines of dialogue probably not explaining why its taken 6 years for them to bother to find you and then you go back to doing everything with Lana. If people felt disappointed with Quinn or Elara's return or Theron being written out of the story, how are these alerts going to be any better. How is a class specific alert that if the track record is anything to go by will never appear again great news. At least if they had a chapter there would be some substance to their return.

Well, having it be just class specific is a simple fix to many companions that contain story-driven 'choices'. (Such as Jaesa and Khem) I do have a single question. (I apologize if this has already been asked.)

1: At what point in the storyline will Smugglers and Inquisitors be able to recruit these returning companions? (Before KOTET? After? Or so on.) -- Well, if you can say, at least.

Thank you.

• Dev Post
Would any consideration be given to being able to claim these companions from a terminal if we want them for another character? No new lines would need to be recorded and it would be no different immersion-wise from running with Shae/Hexid/etc before you meet them in the story. I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm fine with using my imagination to fill in the gaps. There are definitely certain companions I was looking forward to getting on other classes.

Good question. Right now it is not planned that you can access these Companions via the terminal on other Classes. However, I passed the suggestion on to the team as something we could possibly implement down the line.

Thanks!

-eric

Are people aware that if class specific companion alerts follow on the track record of semi unique companions that have returned through alerts that they play no role in the game after being returned.

Nico Okarr - Greatest Smuggler in the Galaxy, never once flies you in or out of anywhere you need to get, you use Tora over him.

HK-55 - I have been informed that repairing him was a dream.

Master Ramos - A Chiss Jedi who could have accompanied you to fight and redeem another Chiss Jedi but is no where in sight.

Shae Vizla - Mandalorian The Avenger yet no where to be seen when Mandalorians are fighting over Voss.

Zo-om - as fixing HK was a dream this likely didn't happen either.

Darth Hexid - Fairly certain never got updated from when the VO was recorded for the Dark v Light event so utterly stand alone.

So these companions are going to be returned, be a few lines of dialogue probably not explaining why its taken 6 years for them to bother to find you and then you go back to doing everything with Lana. If people felt disappointed with Quinn or Elara's return or Theron being written out of the story, how are these alerts going to be any better. How is a class specific alert that if the track record is anything to go by will never appear again great news. At least if they had a chapter there would be some substance to their return.

No question, you're correct. I'd go farther though and say 90 percent of the companions we do have hold no value either. We can only hope that their "alliance alert" is actually worth it and not like...Gus Tuno's where it's bad. I'd much prefer a new side story arc for love interrests, but sadly we'll never get any of that through mostly lack of funding, and probably a good bit of lack of creativity. I'm not entirely sold on the talent of our lead writer.

i am really worried by the fact that 6.0 not here in beginning of the year, like before.

when do you plan to launch 6.0? it is planned at least? so with (big) expansion DLC whatever but something correct humm ..

Edited by Thaladan