R.A.W (Ranked APAC Warzone) Championship

Scorpiooooo

The R.A.W Championship: SEASON 1

Due to the sucess of the R.A.W Championship, we have decided to push forward with a long-form tournament in 2013.

Please continue to post your thoughts and interest in this forum as we begin preperations for the tournament.

There are only a few things confirmed so far:

1) Scorpio (Icesis) and EsKy (Fresk) will be back as your commentators for the entire tournament. This time - they will both have microphones and much improved camera work! Oh and this time, instead of being naked, we'll find some fancy costumes for our characters to wear.

2) Round-Format. There will be Two Pools of teams that will play amongst each other for priority ranking. Once all teams in the Pool have played, the top teams move through to the Finals. Exact method and number of rounds TBC pending teams commiting to the Tourney.

3) Equipment Restrictions - EDIT - None as per response. TBD.

4) Games will be played TWO NIGHTS PER WEEK (2xbest-of-3 matches per night). Exact nights and times TBD (Most likely Mond/Thur or Wed/Thur).

5) Entry Fee for Prize Kitty TBD (Credits)

6) Player of the Tournament Prize TBD.

R.A.W Championship: SEASON 1 is due to kickoff in late January/ early Feb 2013 - SO START PREPPING NOW!

We've got a lot of prep to do, but prob won't be able to start until early January. If you want your Guild to participate, start practicing now. Gear up, 1.6 is coming tonight, so it's a great time to get into PvP!

Edited by Scorpiooooo

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're running with gear restrictions make it War Hero IMO. That way if someone decides they want to cheat they aren't really going to gain much by swapping to EWH, and WH will be relatively easy for everyone to obtain from tonight onwards. Plus a lot of PVPers are broke and cannot afford recruit gear.

I understand gear restriction will make for a level playing field, just saying it will be somehwat of a pain in the arse for those with fairly tweaked setups like legacy belt and bracers with campaign armourings, mixtures of EWH and WH modifications on items, plus all the people who will be trading in their WH soon for EWH pieces.

Ideally if we had enough teams I gues you could have a recruit division, and an open division.. but that probably isn't feasible for us at the moment (possibly if we ever got merged with Dalborra)

Edited by ausmisc

If you're running with gear restrictions make it War Hero IMO. That way if someone decides they want to cheat they aren't really going to gain much by swapping to EWH, and WH will be relatively easy for everyone to obtain from tonight onwards. Plus a lot of PVPers are broke and cannot afford recruit gear.

I understand gear restriction will make for a level playing field, just saying it will be somehwat of a pain in the arse for those with fairly tweaked setups like legacy belt and bracers with campaign armourings, mixtures of EWH and WH modifications on items, plus all the people who will be trading in their WH soon for EWH pieces.

^ its going to be hard to restrict beyond making everyone earn a whole new set and default sets espcially for some dps classes are so acc heavy its not even funny

I dont believe Gear restriction is the way to go, you need to encourage ppl to do PVP and earn the top lvl gear on their own. Placing gear restrictions might see less ppl interested in doing pvp in general as they believe they dont need to go thru the grind for gear. People who go thru the grind should be rewarded.

On the other hand it might be helpful for PVE players to just pick up a recruit set and participate, but lets be honest if they were any good at pvp in the first place, they would be pvping, not just afking on fleet waiting for bloody pve pops/ops.

Edit: an all recruit gear only format might work to even the playing field, but to establish a difference with Default WH, Min-maxed WH, EWH, and Min-maxed EWH will be problematic.

Edited by SupaHsuB

Ideally if we had enough teams I gues you could have a recruit division, and an open division.. but that probably isn't feasible for us at the moment (possibly if we ever got merged with Dalborra)

This.

Your 'open division' is the premier league, the place where heroes are made and dreams are crushed, where people spend every second min maxing their gear for that slight edge. This will be what everyone aspires to.

However if you include a 'recruit division', this will allow those who are a) not geared enough, or b) not quite skilled enough (like me :p) to gain some real practice at ranked, and even some bonus ranked comms for good measure. I would think you would get quite a few extra guilds involved then, who may not be quite ready/willing to try out the full league, but want to dip their toe in the water.

The biggest success factor to an ongoing league like this would be a continuous source of pvp talent who are ready to duke it out. All server pop issues aside, this would be a good way to do it.

Now it depends what others think, and if the organisers would want to take on the extra scope.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I forgot to say, that the recruit league doesn't necessarily need to be streamed, but can run at the same time, just so there's some structure to it.

Edited by krakl

This.

Your 'open division' is the premier league, the place where heroes are made and dreams are crushed, where people spend every second min maxing their gear for that slight edge. This will be what everyone aspires to.

However if you include a 'recruit division', this will allow those who are a) not geared enough, or b) not quite skilled enough (like me :p) to gain some real practice at ranked, and even some bonus ranked comms for good measure. I would think you would get quite a few extra guilds involved then, who may not be quite ready/willing to try out the full league, but want to dip their toe in the water.

The biggest success factor to an ongoing league like this would be a continuous source of pvp talent who are ready to duke it out. All server pop issues aside, this would be a good way to do it.

Now it depends what others think, and if the organisers would want to take on the extra scope.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I forgot to say, that the recruit league doesn't necessarily need to be streamed, but can run at the same time, just so there's some structure to it.

Agreed :)

I third this notion :)

A recruit league would help us lower teams gain experience while preserving the no holds barred nature of the highest level. Once people get a taste for it, with 1.6 war hero won't take long to get and EWH isn't much of a difference in stats.

Hey guys!

Ok - I will edit out the gear restrictions for now, if we can find a way to incorporate then great, if not then no worries.

I would love to hold both a recruit league and a pro league but it's probably not on the cards to do both. What I WOULD be happy to do, is organise a regular server RWZ match time. Say once a week for three to four hours. We can work out a system whereby teams that want to PvP for more experience tell me by a certain date, I can put together a match list for a month-two months and those teams just rock up on the time/day as per the match list. Basically a non-streamed casual match up rather than a competition.

I'd be MORE than happy to organise all this and even take part if it gets more trams geared and into R.A.W!

For example -

Sundays 2pm AEDT - 6pm AEDT

Week 1: NC v Legit, Boss2 v Infection, Pandemic v Beyond Redemption

Week 2: Legit v Boss2, Infection v Pandemic, Beyond Redemption v NC

Week 3: Legit v Infection, Pandemic v NC, Boss2 v NC

Thoughts?

I think that the two separate leagues is a good idea, we definitely need a league with a recruit limitation as this is the only way to encourage new people to get involved with pvp and the competitions. It will be good for the lowbies to know they have a chance.

It will be extremely difficult to convince everyone to spend all their comms on another set of plain war hero instead of putting their coms towards the elite war hero. Having a set of recruit and a set of elite would be the easiest way to go. And im sure their are more then a few multi millionaires in each guild that can shout a set of recruit as its only around 300k which is no more then 3 dailys.

To another issue:

I have been talking to some of the guildless 50's that I don't see in warzones as to why they don't pvp. They said its because they get smashed and rarely get a win. And as my guild already has a full ranked team I have been thinking about grouping with some of the newbies and helping them, and also getting them interested in joining the competitions and the community. However I don't know anything about healing or tanking and would need some other people to help 'mentor'. People who are well experienced who don't have a regular spot in their guild,s ranked warzone team. I think their could be a possible two more teams per faction.

Was thinking about making a thread but wanted to see what peoples thoughts were first.

-SCITTLES

Edited by Discoteck

I agree it'd be hard to run 2 seperate leagues and might detract from the size and excitement of the R.A.W tournament.. depends how many teams we ended up getting in each =/ I guess if they weren't run in parallel then there'd be nothing stopping teams from entering into both leagues. Either on alts or mains just regeared.

At this stage i'm throwing my vote towards Recruit and Open leagues if Icesis and Co. thought it feasible. Even if the recruit wasn't streamed/commentated like he mentioned above- it'd be great for the server and help with gearing for the open league.

Mentoring could work well with this. I'm pretty sure some of the more advanced PVP guilds would gladly offer advice on gearing, tactics, composition etc to help their faction teams in the league. It's win win really especially when we'll be grouped up in normals sometimes heh.

Edited by ausmisc

I think a recruit tournament and the mentoring idea sound fantastic.

As scittles mentioned a lot of less skilled/fresh 50's are put off by pvp because they get smashed/majority of the time are on losing teams. This just compounds their frustration and the futility of the situation they are in. Only skilled players playing alts (which usually have hand-me-downs) or the exceptionally determined could get to the optimised WH level on a fresh 50 in the recent pvp climate on our server.

I have noticed a change of late which is good, also noticed a lot of imp players playing their pub alts and the games are generally closer and more exciting.

I think the gear changes will get a lot of people back on board because they can gear in a more leveled environment - it's going to be a while before we see optimised EWH players running around regular wzs smashing their way through throngs of toons.

I vote for no stun nades in competitions. There's enough stuns in the game as is! It'd make things more interesting imo

omg presh, all i can craft is stun nades! you trying to put me out of business? btw just grab some from the guild bank if you need any :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Heads up - we're looking at kicking off Season 1 of the RAW Championships in February. More announcements to come in the next few weeks.

The comp will run two nights a week (2 matches per night), most likely Mondays and Thursdays. It won't be a straight up elimination, it'll be two pools where everyone plays each other once for a rating then into eliminations and finals.

I know most of you have being doing heaps of rwz lately, which is awesome. Please start filtering this info throughout your respective guilds and get everyone ready!

Details TBA...

Hi everyone,

Heads up - we're looking at kicking off Season 1 of the RAW Championships in February. More announcements to come in the next few weeks.

The comp will run two nights a week (2 matches per night), most likely Mondays and Thursdays. It won't be a straight up elimination, it'll be two pools where everyone plays each other once for a rating then into eliminations and finals.

I know most of you have being doing heaps of rwz lately, which is awesome. Please start filtering this info throughout your respective guilds and get everyone ready!

Details TBA...

Sweet. Is this with the streaming and commentary? Makes watching pvp 10x better

Icesis, I would keep and eye on http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5732756#edit5732756

I have a feeling they will attempt to do something before 1.7 (Or just after) if it's before you may have to shorten the comp or move it to a later date.

Unfortunately I'll be in Africa at the current time of this comp, for the whole month pretty much. If by any chance you can schedule the Finals on or after the 25th of Feb so I can watch, that'd be fair amazing tbh.

Icesis, I would keep and eye on http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5732756#edit5732756

I have a feeling they will attempt to do something before 1.7 (Or just after) if it's before you may have to shorten the comp or move it to a later date.

Unfortunately I'll be in Africa at the current time of this comp, for the whole month pretty much. If by any chance you can schedule the Finals on or after the 25th of Feb so I can watch, that'd be fair amazing tbh.

Thanks Mosus!

:D

So i'm jetting off tomorrow to Africa for a month so I wont be around for R.A.W.

But I had a wicked idea, shared it with resk just now was well. You guys should rock on down to Nar shadaa at least on the night of the finals, get everyone down there they can /say and yell and cheer, will be an awesome community feel. Can duel in between matches and all that jazz.

To all the teams competing GL.