The Expanded Universe ???? LOL ?

WerniesSturm

I didnt read apst the complaints about the war continuing.

Imagine:

"Moff blah blah: Oh no, the Emperor is dead. I guess we lose the way."

"Moff bla bla: What? We outnumber them and are far better equip. Why do we lose?"

"Moff Blah blah: It doesn't matter we lose."

Exactly. Wars dont end the very instant a leader loses if someone else is around to take up the remains.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regarding the empire..yes they rise again about 137 years after the emperors first death..but they are not the same evil empire as before..aliens are even in stormtroopers ranks. Infact the empire is split between a good emperor (loyalist) and a bad emperor who did a coup (sith) but the alliance really has no power and were weakened badly by wars with other forces. Not to mention many people were unhappy with the alliance as they were going through the same cycle as the republic always does..corruption and ineffectiveness.

It's like they screw themselves..ppl say screw this..then empire rises crushes them hard..they say oh we weren't so bad after all...then rinse and repeat..but at least the latest empire holds promise.

In the beginning, with the exception of the Zahn books, the EU had some trouble getting it's footing. Once the New Jedi Order came along things started to gel quite well.

From the NJO to the Swarm War to Fate Of the Jedi to Legacy Of The Force, all mostly good series.

Not to mention Zahn has been writing the occasional book. And that man has a grasp of the characters in the SW universe.

The only thing diatribe you posted does is describe the inherent difference between books and film. Plus added is own SW bias.

With only these three superpowered individuals left, the future of the Galaxy seems bleak.

Not so fast...

One thing the good guys have to do to deal with the post-Death Star Empire is enlist the help of Jedi. Lots of them. In "sequel" comics like Dark Forces, much of the plot involves enlisting the help of these guys that are just hanging around in remote parts of the galaxy.

As it turns out, contrary to popular belief (a term which here means "what the films specifically told us in no uncertain terms"), the Jedi were not entirely wiped out but merely went into hiding. Again, we understand it's not Star Wars without Jedi and you can't wait for an army to be rebuilt from Luke and Leia's inbred children. The writers only had so many options.

But are we really to believe that these characters just sat on their fat asses, doing nothing to help while their Jedi brethren were getting thrown in the dumpster? That seems just a little out of character for the Galaxy's "Protectors of Freedom."

Don't shoot me, but I believe you're missing a point that Palpatine had clouded the future using the dark side - I beileve Yoda says something to young Obi along the lines that he no longer can see in the future or something.

The second KOTOR explains this perfectly and logically.

***SPOILERS INCOMING***

Revan and Malak bust out with their army, go nuts, turn on the republic. The Republic prevails but something is very wrong when the Miraluka planet gets totally wiped out. The Jedi cannot see their enemy so they agree to split up and hide while they wait for their enemy to show up. In KOTOR II you essentially play as the second-last (or last if you count your instructor as just a Force-user without ties) Jedi in the galaxy - for that reason you get targetted by almost everyone and are *cough* the most important ally in the galaxy =P HOWEVER, you discover eventually that the Jedi are in hiding.

Sure, why don't the other Jedi help? Well, in KOTOR they sort of do, and I doubt "Force Hide" or whatever it is called is just a Dark Side skill so technically the hidden Jedi might have been secretly assisting Luke without his knowledge - smuggling vital supplies/medical equipment, spying, infiltration/assassination, all in absolute secrecy. I haven't read anything after the movies/games apart from bits and pieces I find interesting on some characters so I don't know if that's ever covered in the EU or maybe the storywriters did have these powerful individuals with amazing abilities just kind of kick back with a beer and watch - if they did, then DERP A HERP :p

Thanks OP, thanks for the Hilarity!

That was pretty much my reaction when my friend told me all about the EU novels years ago. At-least the TOR setting makes some decent produce from the fertilizer heaped out over the years. I have a love/hate relationship with wookiepedia.

To quote a guildmate Re: Dengar

That's exactly how awesome Star Wars was and why George Lucas is so ... rich. Even the most obscure ... of an afterthought placeholder in a scence that lasted maybe fifteen seconds gets like 5,000 words on wiki

Kids: just say NO to Licensed Novels/comics. For my money only the robot chicken parodies are worth the time

Edited by Darthdscrilla

The way I go about handling it is to have two distinct universes for Star Wars.

In the first Star Wars Universe there is only the events of the original trilogy.

In the second Star Wars Universe there are the events of the 1997 redone original trilogy. There are also the events of all books, short stories, comics, cartoons, cgi's, games, popular fan fictions, TV specials, the new trilogy of movies, and any other Star Wars related product or performance.

All I know is that this helps me deal with all the plot induced stupidity, continuity errors, and other things I personally don't like about various Star Wars properties of the so called "Expanded Universe".

its true

the pre film era like KOTOR, TOR, Bane, Tales Of The Jedi is all good.

Then you get the Dark Empire trilogy. Legacy comes later and it ok, not great though. Legacy War added to legacy making it a bit more awesome.

I think chewbacca was crushed by a planet or some ****.

Honestly though its this ridiculous stuff that makes star wars intresting.

Some of the EU is frankly Crappy, things like Dark Empire with it's stupid Palpatine Clones for example but then you have the New Jedi Order Series, The Legacy Comics, The Entire Old Republic Era, The Thrawn Trilogy etc... Which are awesome.

Yeah, some of the post-Endor novels are pretty poor (I'm looking at you, Kevin J Anderson) but some are really good - the Thrawn trilogy which has already been mentioned, and the X-Wing series by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston, break from the all-powerful-superweapon-destroyed-just-in-time plot and don't just wash away the post-Endor Empire. A good place to start if you're looking to get into EU novels.

Personally I have far more niggles with the Old Republic timeline than the post-Endor one... but that's for another thread ;)

i for my part just ignore some stuff from the worste authors of the eu. (yeah i am looking at you kevin j. anderson, too).

The Thrawn trilogy and the stuff Zahn writes stands out as my favorite books. and do much to fill logic holes in the movies.

I strongly recommend reading the Zahn novels, they explain much.

Also the empire was not instantly defeated.

There's only one story I ignore, and that is Crystal Star.

I'm not too fond of Children of the Jedi either, but it works with the canon, and I do like the other two books in the series, as well as the character of Callista Ming. (I was so stoked to see her in FotJ)