Is it possible to pry Corso off of your face?

bright_ephemera

He has perfectly decent character reasons to be a possessive leech, but that doesn't mean I find it appealing in the least, and my smuggler has no time for that crap. She told him to stop calling her a lady, and he won't. She told him she doesn't want or need a protector, he handwaved that away. He just doesn't actually care what my smuggler wants or says, he thinks he knows what she REALLY needs, which for all his blathering about "respect," is extremely disrespectful and adds to the impression that he doesn't love my smuggler, he loves some version of my smuggler that exists only in his head.

My smuggler wants, and frankly deserves, better than that. The women who like the Corso romance, hey. I am happy you have a romance that you find satisying. But I want out, and there's no way out except for just refusing to interact with him at all, which is stupid. And I feel this way about any of the romances. I love the Doc romance to pieces, but I don't think women who are skeeved out by him after flirting with him a bit should be stuck having him act like they're a THING when they aren't (although I am pretty sure you can break up with him for good right at the very end ... but they shouldn't have to wait until it gets that far!).

tl, dr: Let us dump people, for heaven's sake!

i'm just gonna wait for SGR companions to become available, and REALLY show corso my smug dosen't need a man to look after her. untill then, she'l just smile, nod, and let him delude himself into thinking he tamed the Teumessian vixen.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She told him to stop calling her a lady, and he won't. She told him she doesn't want or need a protector, he handwaved that away. He just doesn't actually care what my smuggler wants or says, he thinks he knows what she REALLY needs, which for all his blathering about "respect," is extremely disrespectful and adds to the impression that he doesn't love my smuggler, he loves some version of my smuggler that exists only in his head.

Yup, Corso is in total denial! :p

You definitely have your people mixed up.

I don't tease the LI toons of my characters.

It is true, however, that every LI toon for a female player that I've ever encountered is repulsive on some level: cowtipper, catboy, sleazebag holoaddict for the republic side that I've seen so far; borged out bug, skeevy pirate, effeminate betrayer, bieber fett on the empire side.

I guess Doc (Knight) might be the one normal-ish one; he's basically just a Lady's man genius doctor with an eccentric streak and a taste for the finer things (but all the while maintaining a heart of gold... more or less). The lady's man part is debatable, since conversations with him indicate that he gets shot down a lot/has a knack for pissing off the ladies. Probably the least weird of the lot though.

My female Smuggler is definitely into the bad boy types. She does flirt with every guy in front of Corso but at the same time she has generated a lot of affection with him and fools around with him. But she would never settle down with him. Someone like Adronikos Revel would be more her type.

This happened to me on my Warrior. I really didn't like Quinn all that much, but i flirted with him a little bit. Then the romance started, and I rolled with it for a little bit, mostly taking the more commanding approach and using him like a stress relief. After a particular event in the story, I told him I was breaking it off with him... Then what happens next? He asks me to marry him ... I told him no.

This!

After that event, Quinn has kept trying to flirt with my marauder. Really? You think I'm still interested? From then on all our conversations has been like:

Quinn: My Lord, I must confess that I have some inappropriate feelings for you.

Me: You smell bad and I don't like you. Now go away.

Quinn: I'm gonna kiss you now, my Lord.

Me: Try, and I'll force choke you. Also, I forgot to tell you... I slept with Pierce. It was good.

She'll probably remain single until same gender relationships is possible and then marry Jaesa instead.

Edited by Amereldine

My smuggler wants, and frankly deserves, better than that. The women who like the Corso romance, hey. I am happy you have a romance that you find satisying. But I want out, and there's no way out except for just refusing to interact with him at all, which is stupid. And I feel this way about any of the romances. I love the Doc romance to pieces, but I don't think women who are skeeved out by him after flirting with him a bit should be stuck having him act like they're a THING when they aren't (although I am pretty sure you can break up with him for good right at the very end ... but they shouldn't have to wait until it gets that far!).

tl, dr: Let us dump people, for heaven's sake!

. I see Corso as a positive, naive and very honest guy who is scared to death to lose you, in romance or not. You are not only his beloved and lady, you are his family, his world, everything. He lost his parents, he lost Viddu, his cuz turned criminal, but he is not the lonely wolf type and he needs company or family. That's why I don't peer much into details of Corso's possessiveness and latent machism. I hope you are not looking for a satisfying romance with an imaginary character...

On the topic of exit from romance options. It's a tricky thing. Here you complain that you can't get rid of him, and there was a complaint on another thread from a girl who said 'no' to the marriage proposal from Corso to sort of keep him nervous. And she was all worried if he would propose again. Interestingly, he wouldn't.

I hope you are not looking for a satisfying romance with an imaginary character...

I would settle for not getting sexual assault overtones with an imaginary character. No, as I said before, I won't have sex with you. No, I won't take that stupid bottle you're thrusting at me, and no, I won't keep it to share "WHEN I'm ready to celebrate." No, when you demand again, I won't have sex with you.

It's disgusting.

I hope you are not looking for a satisfying romance with an imaginary character...

Why shouldn't I? I expect romances in movies and books and TV shows to be satisfying to watch in some way (aw, they're a great couple, wow they're terrible together I hope they break up, man I wonder if those two will ever get over themselves and just MAKE OUT ALREADY), I expect the same out of video game romances.

Corso ain't my thing. He and my smuggler are a terrible match, and he comes across as extremely creepy and gross if you don't want to continue the romance. I imagine anyone stuck in a romance they don't like (I know Aric comes up pretty frequently on the trooper forum) feels similarly. It's not weird or sad to go "yeah, this is utterly unsatisfying as entertainment, ABORT MISSION" and want the game to understand no means no argh.

Why shouldn't I? I expect romances in movies and books and TV shows to be satisfying to watch in some way (aw, they're a great couple, wow they're terrible together I hope they break up, man I wonder if those two will ever get over themselves and just MAKE OUT ALREADY), I expect the same out of video game romances.

That's basically the entire reason The Office (US) was ever a hit. It's not really fair that people assume if you like romance in your game then you're really lame or have no life. I personally like anything that lets me escape from my life of endless math classes/homework for a few hours!

From reading posts here from people with the opposite problem, I believe Corso's romance arc starts very early on and it's a one-shot deal. You flirt with him - he's yours forever. You turn him down - he'll never take you seriously as a romance option again. (I think he still flirts with you a bit though and it seems strange that he still acts jealous.)

I think it's this conversation:

When Corso comes on to you drunk if you flirt back and act interested, the romance is triggered. If you tell him to "sleep it off" it closes.

The problem with this is that it is SUCH an early quest and you only get that one chance to "get it right." So if you change your mind, no such luck.

I'm kind of surprised that being mean to Corso doesn't turn off the romance. It seems like they should add in some "second chance" dialog options for people who want to get back in or out.

Corso has been replaced by the Wookie. That's what he gets to even try flirting with me. Now he sits in the ship and does only one thing: CRAFT THINGS

When I reach L50, I'll give him tones of gifts to make him happy and then shut him down for good. He's truly annoying.

He's less annoying since I've slapped a trooper helmet on his face.:rak_03:

• 7 months later...
Player since launch, just recently come to the forums. And, having played through some romances and some non-, I just have to know.

Is there a way to turn Corso's romance off? Really off. Like "No means no" off. Like the Dragon Age: Origins companions used to handle it, where they would respect your wishes.

This was how Corso worked for me, and I've been hoping it was some unintended glitch:

End of conversation.

Weird, but what matters is that I turned him down, right? I like his company, but I don't want a marriage track. Better to scuttle the romance now.

Balmorra, gettin' ready to sleep with some nice Twi'lek contact:

Unpleasant, especially since I told him to leave me alone, but he's written to get like that when I'm flirting, so whatever. I just won't take him out again.

Darmas calls.

...Okay, so leaving Corso on the ship can't fix everything.

Fast forward a few levels. A conversation pops up. Turns out to be a cool personal quest, Tatooine excursion, everything's civil, even friendly. Like I wanted it to be. I'm probably in the clear! Feed some more gifts, get another conversation.

Maybe some other time. MAYBE SOME OTHER TIME. I said no, and then stop, and then you're not the boss of me, and then he point-blank propositions me and the strongest (read: only) rejection at my disposal is..."Maybe some other time." :mad:

The appropriate response was "Try to touch me again and I will flush your parts out the airlock." :mad::wea_12::eek:

No legacy bonus in the galaxy is worth raising any further approval with Corso Riggs. Why did the writers do this? Was there an intended effect beyond the making player feel helpless and nauseated? Did anybody else trigger these conversations in something like this order? Did anybody successfully shut the creep up for good?

Holy *********** **** does he seriously do this?

I luckily missed the "foot down" convo cause I had Risha out, but...jesus *********** christ. I don't even know if I want to get his affection up to do his conversations. Cause that's just....he's nearing Nice Guy territory. No, he's there. UGH.

Holy *********** **** does he seriously do this?

I luckily missed the "foot down" convo cause I had Risha out, but...jesus *********** christ. I don't even know if I want to get his affection up to do his conversations. Cause that's just....he's nearing Nice Guy territory. No, he's there. UGH.

now now that's just rude and unnecessary,you'll probably get a report for that.

• 4 weeks later...

My Gunslinger is perfectly happy with Corso. She's always mercilessly shot down NPCs who flirted with her; she didn't think they could possibly be serious, as she's a scrawny little thing with a big, ugly scar on her face (body type 1 Mirialan). She's kind of got low self-esteem about her looks (I think she looks terrific, but, well, she's not me, so, yeah).

But when Corso got drunk one night on her ship, she took a chance and flirted with him a little. That way, if he wasn't into it, she could always pretend he'd misunderstood her because he was drunk.

He's kind of reciprocated since then, and she's grown a little bolder around him. Recently, she even flirted with him a little in front of a bartender who was giving her a quest on Tatooine. That was a little scary for her, but, hey, it worked out.

Because she's not at all inclined to flirt with strangers, she'll never see Corso's overbearing possessive side, which makes them a great couple in my version of the Smuggler story. Especially once I got rid of those awful dreadlocks on him.

Edited by nateslice

• 1 month later...

So, I was perusing Tumblr in the SWTOR tag and I came across this...

This is, I'm assuming, the last conversation with Corso if you didn't fully peruse a romance with him. I wouldn't know as I have yet to get passed his...whatever number conversation it is with mine. Because I dread them so much.

WHAT. THE ACTUAL. ****.

How do people see that as not *********** creepy?! SERIOUSLY?! That's supposed to be heart warming?! THAT'S A WHINY, CREEPY, NICE GUY RIGHT THERE!!! UGH.

And the kiss at the end is the *********** cheery on top of the creeper cake. Her face looked so shocked and semi disgusted. And it ENDS. No option to KNOCK HIM *********** SILLY.

What the hell Bioware writers? HOW DID YOU SEE AS NOT CREEPY?!

And this is why men hate women.

Eyyyyup.

Been friendzoned enough in my high school/college time to learn to be cynical and mistrustful when it comes to personal relationships with the opposite gender.

Eyyyyup.

Been friendzoned enough in my high school/college time to learn to be cynical and mistrustful when it comes to personal relationships with the opposite gender.

There's a reason you've been "friendzoned." Your whining about not getting into the pants of the girls you felt entitled to. They sense that and deliberately don't go for you.

Grow up and maybe you'd FINALLY get a girl.

There's a reason you've been "friendzoned." Your whining about not getting into the pants of the girls you felt entitled to. They sense that and deliberately don't go for you.

Grow up and maybe you'd FINALLY get a girl.

Oh, pretending to know other people shows how "grown up" you are yourself. Problem is - the guy probably doesn't know any better at that point, and the fact that you abuse him doesn't help him at all. "Getting into pants" isn't the issue, it's rather a sense of belonging and acceptance, a feeling of mutual appreciation. He gets abused on and on, and there's little surprise that he snaps, or becomes a mysoginist.

Anyhow, I have indeed "grown up", and I do realize that being friendzoned was my own fault as well - primarily because I was attracted to the wrong girls and I wasn't selfish enough when I was younger. Now I'm seeing a wonderful lady with an IQ above 150, PhD, linguist, successfully develops exclusive education methods, shapely, pretty, funny, amazing dancer.

Point is - if you're in a position of power over another person and you're using it to abuse them speaks volumes. To the very least, it's extremely non-constructive behaviour that hinders personal growth of both, you and your victim.

Edited by Helig

And this is why men hate women.

Eyyyyup.

Been assaulted enough to have very little patience with people who don't think that "stop" means "stop", or who feel that affection once granted is a permanent and escalating entitlement and I have no right to change my mind about someone as I get to know them better. And this is not some kind of unique corner case that constitutes an undue burden to take into account while writing about romance.

Point is - if you're in a position of power over another person and you're using it to abuse them speaks volumes. To the very least, it's extremely non-constructive behaviour that hinders personal growth of both, you and your victim.

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why significant other simulators in which the player is not permitted to revoke consent, or in which they can try but aggressive advances continue, are horrifying.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Been assaulted enough to have very little patience with people who don't think that "stop" means "stop", or who feel that affection once granted is a permanent and escalating entitlement and I have no right to change my mind about someone as I get to know them better. And this is not some kind of unique corner case that constitutes an undue burden to take into account while writing about romance.

Assault is a pretty concrete line not to be crossed and exactly the type matter that can be brought before authorities.

As far as "escalating entitlement" goes, I think it's quite obvious that, by feeding the victim with mixed signals and false hopes, the abuser doesn't quite let go of the person themselves. Definitely doesn't apply to stalkers/creeps, but those are quite another matter. Matter that is considered offense in the majority of civilized countries.

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why significant other simulators in which the player is not permitted to revoke consent, or in which they can try but aggressive advances continue, are horrifying.

I wouldn't look too deep into this. Many romance storylines work like this in SWToR. DS Jaesa, Kira, Akaavi, to a lesser extent Vette, Nadia, Kaliyo, Mako - all work similarly. Once it's started, you can't really get them to shut up unless at a specific focal point.

It's the dialogue advancement architecture, rather than a "horrifying mockery". Corso's manner just makes it stand out, that's it. Also, I wonder why it's Corso that you're so up in arms about. I'm no female, but I found Doc and Theran to be even more disrespectful and persistent. Both are quite the sleeze-balls.