SWTOR, Windows and Memory leaks - how to fix.

vermura

This is dumb and does not work. See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc441804(v=vs.85).aspx

All this application does is remove pageable memory from the applications working set. What is a working set? It's a collection of pageable memory that is currently located within the physical RAM of the system. This is good. If the process attempts to access a memory page that isn't in the working set, it results in a page fault. A page fault means the process must load the page from the backing store, ie, the page file. This is bad. Trimming the working set will cause more page faults and cause more swap file activity. Again, this is bad.

Don't fck with windows memory management, it knows better than you and it knows better than this app the best way to handle memory management.

With reference to memory leaks, it's probably there are some in swtor, there were many in WoW and they exist in many large applications. A simplistic tool like this isn't going to help with them, they are next to impossible to even reliably detect in optimised compiled executables and are usually only detectable with advanced (and usually expensive) code analysis tools at or before compile time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this..

I came back to the game yesterday after being gone since October. Game only lasted about 2-3 hours before it crashed. I played earlier today and went 1 hour before it started getting choppy and I had to log out. Two hours after logout I got a blue screen of death crash from memory errors!! :mad:

Just installed the memory cleaner hoping it works. Shame they haven't got this fixed yet. I have also seen this same issue since beta.

So like, swtor has leaked memory since Beta. I reported the problem in Beta, I've reported the problem many times since and Bioware has... actually made it worse since patch 1.4 and no patch since has improved the situation.

What is a memory leak?

Programs, like swtor, routinely allocate memory to tasks as part of their operation. When they have finished a task, they then free it up so that other processes can make use of the memory. A memory leak occurs when the memory is not freed up. Strong evidence for this occuring is if the size of the process grows over time. For me, this occurs with SWTOR. I've always known it was a memory leak in the client (I'm a former programmer, and actually, spent a couple of months rewriting code to specifically to fix memory leaks in a 500k user application).

What will happen if a memory leak is unchecked?

Well, eventually, the operating system will run out of RAM, which will cause it to swap to the hard disk and/or crash.

You may also notice a significant drag on performance even if a crash does not occur.

How to fix this?

It's actually a Bioware problem, and I didn't think there was anyway I could fix this for them. Fortunately, however, a guy in this obscure thread on the customer service forums found this awesome application to fix it. I tried it, and was pleasantly surprised when it actually worked. The settings I am using under options are "Trim Process working set every 5 minutes" and "start memory cleaner with windows".

So why am I posting this here?

Come on, it's been a year, it's preety fracken obvious bioware aren't going to fix it. I could post this on the general forums and it would sink like a stone, never to be seen again. This forums not so busy and it's also the server I'm playing on now.

What can you do to help others?

If this helps you, you can help others by just bumping this thread.

Disclaimer: I did not write this application and I do not know it could or will damage your computer. If your not sure, I advise you to NOT use it. If you take the chance and suffer damage to your PC, don't come crying to me lol.

Incredible it worked thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying it now but I have to ask- will this help my loading screens be faster and my PVP to stop being laggy? It randomly appeared to me that my WZs lagged, group content lagged, and loading screens are horrificly slow. Yet I can run the game in max settings (same with Crysis and other high demanding games) and it works smoothly.

Edit: What I'm asking is, I really need help with laggy WZs and VERY slow loading screens.

More info here. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5870413#post5870413

Edited by LordMilitus

I'm trying it now but I have to ask- will this help my loading screens be faster and my PVP to stop being laggy? It randomly appeared to me that my WZs lagged, group content lagged, and loading screens are horrificly slow. Yet I can run the game in max settings (same with Crysis and other high demanding games) and it works smoothly.

Edit: What I'm asking is, I really need help with laggy WZs and VERY slow loading screens.

More info here. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5870413#post5870413

If there is an impact, it will be very minor. You need to keep an eye on when the WZs become laggy. If it happens after a few warzones, this might help you out more than if it is something that happens from the first and is rather a regular event.

Ok i have been testing it for abit now...

Let me tell ya something... for the past 2 weeks i have been laging like hell... even pulling my hair out sometimes... FP's full of Freezes and Breaks, Warzones completely umplayabel!

Hell.. even in colicoid FP in the turrets phase... wht a nightmare... cant even see the mobs in time before they are already hiting me! I Was realy considering stop playing TOR...

But with this tool... guys..definitly worth it... the game will become so fuild tht its like you bought a new computer!

I was abit woryed there for awhile thinking my machine couldnt handle TOR... then again im able to keep up with 2 EVE Online clients + Online Radio + Xfire and TS3 all in the same Machine all at the same time... and was wondering why i couldnt keep up with TOR!

Now this Thread actualy explaines it...

So i propose the folowing guys... for u guys tht lurk around in the forums =P

Add this thread link to your Signature this way it will advertise about this tool whenever you post anything!

Once again.. thx to the OP for sharing this with us... and it realy does work!

Regards, Zmaster BloodLust

Edited by zmasterx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...