When is the next name purge?

RaithHarth

Yet taking a name that someone never really uses is alright? Sure they may be a subscriber, but holding a name hostage on another server while they play on their destination server is not right either.

It isn't being held hostage, and it isn't unjust in any way. Anymore than someone owning a vacation home that they never use is holding that home "hostage". Just because you want to live there, and they don't use it, doesn't give you the right to move in.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a matter of stealing the name, it's a matter of principal, if you are under lvl 50 and haven't played that toon for the past 10 days the name should be reset, this should also apply for even subscribers, once you hit lvl 50 however, all subscribers should be protected in the same right.

Yeah that would work great for military players on deployment. Or people that just want to take a vacation IRL. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And why limit it to level 49s or below? Why not be able to steal names from level 55s too?

Edited by NoFishing

I'm currently auctioning the name Spicyweiner. Let the bidding begin...

The correct spelling would be wiener, by the way. The sausages are named Wiener Würstchen. From "Wien", the German (and therefore correct!) name for Vienna.

I always wonder why english speakers tend to write it weiner.

Funny, I actually have a special alt named Chiron that is Level 33 that I've forgotten completely about.

Thanks for making me a liar when I tried to convince the OP that people weren't here to troll him or her, but just disagreed with the position being presented.

Thanks for making me a liar when I tried to convince the OP that people weren't here to troll him or her, but just disagreed with the position being presented.

He threw that out the window when he started accusing people who were legitimately disagreeing with him Trolls.

Just thought I'd play a practical joke on him for it.

The correct spelling would be wiener, by the way. The sausages are named Wiener Würstchen. From "Wien", the German (and therefore correct!) name for Vienna.

I always wonder why english speakers tend to write it weiner.

You don't have to be a weiner about it... :cool:

The OP his or herself avoided answering any requests to even explain his or her reasoning. I'd still like to hear it, but instead of that all I saw were accusations of trolling and insults....and the OP hasn't been around much lately so I assume they don't have a valid argument in the first place.

...or maybe they rage/quit because they couldn't get that oh so wonderful name.

Edited by wilsonstone

The OP his or herself avoided answering any requests to even explain his or her reasoning. I'd still like to hear it, but instead of that all I saw were accusations of trolling and insults....and the OP hasn't been around much lately so I assume they don't have a valid argument in the first place.

...or maybe they rage/quit because they couldn't get that oh so wonderful name.

Some of us do work for a living and don't spend day in and day out turning what was suppose to be an opinion/suggestion into an argument, I don't have time for drama. So this will be my final post on this thread!

Yet you all keep posting anyways even when I'm not here and try to find ways to torment me LOL but why should I lower myself to your level and be a troll? It's not worth it because even if I do answer you, it will just go through one ear and out the other anyways, so why should I bother? Goodbye! :rolleyes:

In the meantime if a moderator does pass on through this thread, it would mean a great deal if they closed it entirely, since it totally went off topic.

Thank you.

Edited by RaithHarth

Some of us do work for a living and don't spend day in and day out turning what was suppose to be an opinion/suggestion into an argument, I don't have time for drama. So this will be my final post on this thread!

Good try. The rest of us work for a living, too. Even me, and I've as I stated RETIRED from one long career in the military. I'm pretty sure everyone else works for their sub too. So I take it you really can't defend the reasons for the unjust, unfair principle of the matter stuff and you're going to just ...well go off somewhere. Fine. You don't have to man up and say maybe you were wrong. Just like you don't have to try and debate the topic you started with a logical explanation that you were asked for. Don't blame anyone else for coming to the conclusion that you were vying for a way to take a name you wanted from another player with no other motivation than your own benefit.

Yet you all keep posting anyways even when I'm not here and try to find ways to torment me LOL but why should I lower myself to your level and be a troll? It's not worth it because even if I do answer you, it will just go through one ear and out the other anyways, so why should I bother? Goodbye! :rolleyes:

Still playing the victim, huh? You already became a troll when you decided to insult people on the thread for pointing out the flaws in your idea. If you had any kind of a logical response to people asking if you could elaborate you'd have given one. So please, cut the "its not worth it" stuff. You can 'take your ball and go home' , no one is tormenting you. You had a bad idea, it was identified as one, and then you decided to be a bit of a troll about it yourself by insulting others for not agreeing with you.

...and we all know you'll be lurking to see what responses come of it, so cut the goodbye crap too and just admit you'll be lurking but have nothing to reasonable to say.

In the meantime if a moderator does pass on through this thread, it would mean a great deal if they closed it entirely, since it totally went off topic.

Thank you.

It is a sad day that you threw away your principles(whatever they are) and gave up on this.

It is a sad day that you threw away your principles(whatever they are) and gave up on this.

...and is probably typing to a mod hoping they'll lock or delete the thread.

...and is probably typing to a mod hoping they'll lock or delete the thread.

In all fairness here, I used to mod an MMO forum, and if the OP requested a lock, I would oblige with "Locked at OP's request". The question was asked, and while not answered by a dev, the OP is obviously not going to get the answer they're looking for, so it may as well be locked.

The only real troll in this thread, that I can see, is that BioWare's rules for name purges actually trolled the OP, since even if the answer was "We will be purging names tomorrow.", the OP still wouldn't be able to get the name he wants.

In all fairness here, I used to mod an MMO forum, and if the OP requested a lock, I would oblige with "Locked at OP's request". The question was asked, and while not answered by a dev, the OP is obviously not going to get the answer they're looking for, so it may as well be locked.

The only real troll in this thread, that I can see, is that BioWare's rules for name purges actually trolled the OP, since even if the answer was "We will be purging names tomorrow.", the OP still wouldn't be able to get the name he wants.

How is that a troll? I'm asking, not being snarky. The rules on name purges are what they are. Most people, I would think log in, make a character with a name they really really really like and *poof*....find out the name is taken.

Then I'd think most people would just think of another name they like. Not go through the trouble of finding the player that has the name and essentially slalk them for awhile to come up with the conclusion that "They aren't using the character! Its unfair that I can't use the name!".

Now, in all honesty, if there were irrefutable proof that the player with the name no longer plays, and has no intention of ever playing that character ever.....I'd understand a bit. But since that cannot be proven by any of us I don't think the rules are unfair or harsh. Its not like names are THAT hard to come up with.

I don't see how its trolling the OP because he can't have the one name he oh so ever wants. Its not like the OP started this thread out of some high ideal for fairness. I won't believe that until he or she elaborates on the points already mentioned that are a flaw in the 'idea'.

But the OP has already decided to go off somewhere, so I doubt we'll see that. However someone else may have an idea on how a name purge will work, so I see no reason to close the thread. We all say things we wish we hadn't at times. Sometimes you can't UNSAY it.

How is that a troll? I'm asking, not being snarky. The rules on name purges are what they are. Most people, I would think log in, make a character with a name they really really really like and *poof*....find out the name is taken.

Then I'd think most people would just think of another name they like. Not go through the trouble of finding the player that has the name and essentially slalk them for awhile to come up with the conclusion that "They aren't using the character! Its unfair that I can't use the name!".

Now, in all honesty, if there were irrefutable proof that the player with the name no longer plays, and has no intention of ever playing that character ever.....I'd understand a bit. But since that cannot be proven by any of us I don't think the rules are unfair or harsh. Its not like names are THAT hard to come up with.

I don't see how its trolling the OP because he can't have the one name he oh so ever wants. Its not like the OP started this thread out of some high ideal for fairness. I won't believe that until he or she elaborates on the points already mentioned that are a flaw in the 'idea'.

But the OP has already decided to go off somewhere, so I doubt we'll see that. However someone else may have an idea on how a name purge will work, so I see no reason to close the thread. We all say things we wish we hadn't at times. Sometimes you can't UNSAY it.

It literally isn't a troll, to anyone but the OP. However, reading through the topic, I'm sure we can see that they certainly feel that way.

It literally isn't a troll, to anyone but the OP. However, reading through the topic, I'm sure we can see that they certainly feel that way.

IMO, the OP trolled himself on this topic. He wants what he wants, and what he wants is so far from the purge rules from the last name purge as to be absolutely laughable. He knows this I'm sure... but insists on prosecuting a failed topic.

IMO, the OP trolled himself on this topic. He wants what he wants, and what he wants is so far from the purge rules from the last name purge as to be absolutely laughable. He knows this I'm sure... but insists on prosecuting a failed topic.

Indeed.

So here's what I'm thinking about doing to solve the problem myself. Because I like solving problems instead of begging others to solve them for me.

Back when we had the Black Friday Cartel Market Sale-O-Rama, I bought a few name changes on the ultra-cheap. I'm considering offering those, plus some number in the millions of credits, to the people who own the name(s) I lost during server merges. At least the ones I care about.

Unless that person is super attached to the name, it will work.

Haven't done it yet, still considering it. Main reason is probably I haven't seen any of them log in... well, ever. But that's definitely one way to solve the problem if the name is owned by an active player.

Edited by DarthTHC

Agreed. But one man's troll and all that....

But if you look at the reasons why the current policy is so, its not being unfair to anyone IMHO. Heck, I'll go out on a limb here....(and I do get long winded, so I apologize for that now) ...

How many people have a name they really want to use for a character? A lot, I'm sure. But if the name is taken you move on. This isn't a game like CoH or Champions where not getting the name "Captain Sensational" will squish your character idea. In this game you can name a character "Jord Keenstar" or "Viva Mos Isley" or something and it still fits. Its just too bad that Roj Moonhammer was taken.

Now lets say you really really did want the name Roj Moonhammer, but daggonit, some other guy has it. From the limited data you can see from a friends list you figure this guy isn't even playing the character....and you would love to have that name. Great. (keeping in mind you really can't tell the status from the friends list) So you wonder if they'll free up names for non-active players and ask on the forum. There's no problem there. People tell you no, and lay out the reasons why this is unlikely to happen. They also mention that you can't really be sure that the player isn't using the character. ...and the fact that even if they are now on another server, its just too bad because its their character. Its not like any of us are limited to ONE server.

You don't like that answer so you say its unfair and unjust and all. People tell you it isn't...the rules apply to us all, not just Moonhammer...but you insist it isn't fair and when asked why you think its unfair you start insulting everyone in the thread. Even the people that were being civil to you and honestly wanting you to explain the position you had taken. Heck,you may have a point somewhere, but we're never gonna know if you just say its unfair with no explanation as why its unfair. Because the suggestions you have are even more unfair...under level 50 and ain't logged in in 10 days? Name is forfeit.

...and even then when people ask you to explain the rationale for how that is somehow fair you go full insult mode. You want to just wash your hands of the thread and play victim. When its fairly obvious that the suggestions were things that would only benefit you and what you want.

Considering that I don't think the rules are trolling the OP. The victim card thing is frankly disgusting. You can't insult people and claim they're being a big meanie head afterwards. You can't just call the player of Moonhammer "greedy" for sitting on the name when you concoct ways to basically steal it from him. Then try to backtrack out of it and play victim some more to run away from what you said.

So yes, I can see how the person wanting the name would think he's being trolled. But I don't agree with it...Because most of what they think is trolling was people asking "Please explain this". It only got tense when the OP refused to be 'wrong'. We all do that from time to time. No one likes being wrong. Especially when you can't defend what you were wrong about. But at the very least Id think most adults would shrug and say "You know what, I got nothin'....guess I was mistaken in this." Not hurl some insults and go lurk away.

Edited by wilsonstone

I lost some names and used ALT variations. Also, a VERY surprising name I managed to get after the second name purge all in normal letters. Good names for me? Sure. I just started using á and é in them - very free and immediate solution :)