Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

This MMO has all of that ... which is why I've lost track of what you're ************ about (I think so did you long ago).

Normally it's "too long didn't read" but your posts seem to be more "too nonsensical didn't read".

Well it's obviously nonsense to those who believe in nonsense.

If you are pushing for a game that focuses on single player in a game made for multiplayer online, why do you believe you have any right to declare what is nonsense and what is not?

For the last two expansions there has been two shifts in the game:

1) Less developers, staff, and resources allocated for the game and 2) Single player content focus

So for you people complaining about the state of the game when you got what you want, you're a cancer to it. However what most of us are failing to see is that this game is dead.

I have a question, DO YOU PEOPLE HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS GAME WILL BE FULLY STAFFED, BUDGETED, AND PUSHED NOW THAT EA IS MAKING AND PUSHING ANTHEM?

I'm going to do a more productive thing and hope that Anthem isn't crap and wait for the next Star Wars MMO.

Edited by dontbeswg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forced pvp =/= mmo. forced pvp is a nonstarter for most mmo gamers. Hardcore mmos are financial failures, just look at wildstar.

I'm so tired of people whining about forced pvp, how is the current game not forcing pvp?! you have to grind cxp and if you don't pvp you will need to do flashpoints... I mean ffs get over yourselves about content being forced on you when it is essentially playing the game.

The ultimate problem is people like you who play these games but don't fully take part. Heaven forbid the next wise game developer finds a way to encourage you to play an mmo the way it should be played...

but I still believe having access to content sooner is more desirable than having to wait a year to get it all at once.

I agree with this.

I'm actually pleased (thus far) by the changes you have announced Keith. You seem to be off to a good start so far, kudos.

"We will be watching your career with great interest." - Sheev Palpatine

I'm so tired of people whining about forced pvp, how is the current game not forcing pvp?! you have to grind cxp and if you don't pvp you will need to do flashpoints... I mean ffs get over yourselves about content being forced on you when it is essentially playing the game.

The ultimate problem is people like you who play these games but don't fully take part. Heaven forbid the next wise game developer finds a way to encourage you to play an mmo the way it should be played...

Actually you can do a variety of activities for the CXP. I have one character at 300 and one at 200 and then one at 100 and the rest are between 50-75 (I have a total of 14 level 70 characters). I mostly did heroics to get to level 300, with a few flashpoints and uprisings and 1 or 2 operations thrown in. Never did I ever do pvp for the CXP.

People have different playstyles and just because they don't play like you they are not doing it wrong. Your problem is you think everyone should play like you, but they don't have to.

Even on SWG you didn't have to do pvp if you didn't want to. You had to flag yourself for pvp, which I never did. I played the same way there that I do here, with my guild and friends. I prefer to play with people I know I can trust and with those that aren't going to stomp their feet like a two-year old when things don't go their way. Just because they don't group up for flashpoint, uprising, operations doesn't mean they are not doing the content, they are just playing it with people they know.

Sense this is apparently where people can ask for nonsense and fairy tales, I have my own.

This is the next Star Wars MMO I would love to play

SETTING/ERA

Have it take place a Day after the events of the Battle of Endor, this is the most popular time frame of Star Wars in terms of Characters, Archtypes, Technology, ships, vistas, etc... It also is a safer point than during the movies to avoid revealing anything or cannon issues. Set the game around Legendary characters as it was in SWG, ie interact with Luke, Leia, Han, Boba Fett, Lando, etc.. Re-introduce Thrawn and Legend characters as the last remnants of the empire in the final days of the empire with the shadow hand of the First Order in the back drop (This has been explained in books so it's not upsetting the cannon).

Legendary Class Leveling and Combat Neutral System

What made SWG unique and legendary was that you could be iconic classes that felt iconic, Bounty Hunters hunted down bounties, Smugglers performed smuggle operations, and of course you could through extra effort and commitment become a "Rare" Jedi. The failing was that the last character was played too close to cannon and players don't like going against a raid boss controlled by a player.

The solution to this is really not that difficult and it would be awesome to see this executed to break up the drone of opening a game leveling to (50 or 60 or 70 or whatever :mad:). Make a quick level cap as was done in this game, say level 20 and make this specific around the base class of the character which is very straight forward (stealth type, run and gun type, melee brute type, long range type). Make this quick cap essential to playing the game and make the classes completely trinity neutral, meaning they all have the capacity to heal, tank, or dps but not at the same time.

By making all classes have similar abilities it will make the game easier to balance, learn, and most importantly play. Once the player has completed the quick level cap quests which focus on teaching the player how to play the game, the player can then go out and select their faction and legendary class. The difference between this game and the one I am purposing is that the legendary class will be about acquiring extra skills not levels with the skills being very similar upgrades continuing the education of the player.

Lastly, the Legendary experience meter can come from doing class specific tasks, ie the bounty hunter completing a bounty, the jedi fighting a hand of the empire or vice versa, smuggler making a deal happen... ie all things that can be done within the context of the game (pvp, pve, and exploration).

Make the Game Diverse and Encourage RP

Seeing the rise of RP in GTA, funny or serious, I think the developers need to key on making a game that organically encourages the player to get into the world. Here is how I suggest that.

- less instanced content and more base content :

>well developed open world set pieces encouraging large scale organized battles rather than gank fest

>extremely challenging open world bosses with equitable loot encouraging faction collaboration

>collaborative crafting centered around guild accomplishment combat and artisan unite

> world manipulation and impact allowing the player to feel they truly effect their environment (faction controlled

planets where it is truly risky to enter, high value zones that encourage exploration and teamwork)

> organic lore (ie players set zones where you can leave a legacy such as a player made stronghold with rare items or a temple for a new order of jedi where the masters provide holocrons to teach aspiring players and share ideas... again something to encourage RP)

I'm all for some instance content but sparingly. The more community and large scale an mmo feels the more you will find it populated and enriching.

Edited by dontbeswg

Even on SWG you didn't have to do pvp if you didn't want to.

Ok right there, take GCW if you didn't pvp you missed out on a huge part of the game. Again I ask why? Why actively avoid a highly entertaining segment of the game. If you never fought over a city in SWG.. you missed out. You're right though, you could have sat in a cantina socializing as a dancer or made weapons and items to be sold, but again you missed out, more over i did both of those things and pvped... I didn't shun one because it wasn't "my thing" :rolleyes:

I prefer to play with people I know I can trust

How does that happen unless you get to know them by interacting?

with those that aren't going to stomp their feet like a two-year old when things don't go their way.

You're full of excuses and assumptions, I'm sure many of your friends act the same way you just find it charming.

Just because they don't group up for flashpoint, uprising, operations doesn't mean they are not doing the content, they are just playing it with people they know.

If the game is less inclusive and smaller in scope it dies, right now there are not very many groups doing certain content. Which of those operations are you doing?

So I've noticing this fun little trend:

What is said / vs/ What you see

This game would be healthier if players engaged in all of its content especially the multiplayer

You're just a jerk who wants to tell people how to play!

Game developers need to find ways to make large scale content more inviting and enjoyable especially pvp

You're just trying to make me play the game!

I hate most people and only want to interact with people I deem like minded, I also don't realize I'm not very likeable

I only play with people I trust

Edited by dontbeswg

Which proves what exactly? What are those active users watching, because it isn't just gamers streams available to watch on Twitch?

I'll watch something on Twitch if it interests me enough to do so, but it's extremely rare that I'll watch anyone "playing a game", because it's quite honestly baf.

So this is exactly what annoys me about most of you posting, you don't see the facts if you don't like what the facts mean.

I put to you that twitch has 10 million daily active viewers with over 22,000 view options, now of those view options less than 5% of it is for MMOs. This should be alarming for an MMO player because what it means is this type of game is no longer popular with the masses.

You may think that, oh well I and my niche collective of friends don't watch twitch, but you're the minority here not them. Worse over these games are the most expensive to make and develop and if they aren't grabbing an audience they aren't going to continue to be made friend.

Something needs to change fast or you all are going to have to learn to play new games.

<keep in mind anthem, like destiny, is not like mmos you're use to so...>

Edited by dontbeswg

Another thing on the myth of Open World PvP being forced PvP. Here are the things that most Open World offer or can offer.

1) Safe Zones

2) Specific Open World Zones

3) non pvp zones in quest areas like Ilum

you don't have to pvp all the time... that's a lie. ITS NOT FORCED PVP!

Edited by dontbeswg

So this is exactly what annoys me about most of you posting, you don't see the facts if you don't like what the facts mean.

So, avoiding answering the question then? That's rhetorical.

I put to you that twitch has 10 million daily active viewers with over 22,000 view options, now of those view options less than 5% of it is for MMOs. This should be alarming for an MMO player because what it means is this type of game is no longer popular with the masses.

Let me correct you here, I'm a gamer, I don't care what I'm playing as long as it is fun. Doesn't have to be an MMO, so nothing is alarming to me if a genre dies, it's happened before with RTS games and it'll happen again to something else.

You may think that, oh well I and my niche collective of friends don't watch twitch, but you're the minority here not them. Worse over these games are the most expensive to make and develop and if they aren't grabbing an audience they aren't going to continue to be made friend.

You like making giant leaps of logic don't you? That was also rhetorical.

Something needs to change fast or you all are going to have to learn to play new games.

I'm always playing new games, Anthem isn't something I'm currently even remotely thinking about touching due to how I've seen BioWare treat players in recent years. They're slowly earning a place on my developer naughty list.

All I've seen from you posting is assumptions, based on your own subjectivity. Having your own opinions is fine, we all have them, it's clear yours aren't ones worth taking my time with though.

Let me correct you here, I'm a gamer, I don't care... so nothing is alarming to me if a genre dies,

Yeah... you're not the problem... you're just a F&^*ing hero bud.

I'm always playing new games, Anthem isn't something I'm currently even remotely thinking about touching

And I'm the one spewing nonsense and rhetoric huh?! You're just the best...

All I've seen from you posting is assumptions, based on your own subjectivity. Having your own opinions is fine, we all have them, it's clear yours aren't ones worth taking my time with though.

Likewise bud...

1) You ignore a movement that has 100x the subscribers this one has

2) You openly admit you're not passionate about types of games, but want to quantify yourself as important and determine what matters or what game developers are terrible

3) Your name just screams self-absorbed *****

Well unlike you I care about MMOs dying, and I would hope the devs listen to someone like me rather than someone like you who will drop a game the minute it doesn't serve him.

Keith, I have a specific question I would like to discuss.

What is the impact of Anthem on the continued development of this game?

(I don't care if Musco wants to take this one, I know EA won't address it.)

Edited by dontbeswg

The comedy here is that you single player warriors have referral links when you don't like people you don't know, but are more than happy to use them for your personal gain.

The fact that you are "championing" the game in the most unauthentic manner is priceless and well deserved. This game deserves to be in this state.

Actually you can do a variety of activities for the CXP. I have one character at 300 and one at 200 and then one at 100 and the rest are between 50-75 (I have a total of 14 level 70 characters). I mostly did heroics to get to level 300, with a few flashpoints and uprisings and 1 or 2 operations thrown in. Never did I ever do pvp for the CXP.

People have different playstyles and just because they don't play like you they are not doing it wrong. Your problem is you think everyone should play like you, but they don't have to.

Even on SWG you didn't have to do pvp if you didn't want to. You had to flag yourself for pvp, which I never did. I played the same way there that I do here, with my guild and friends. I prefer to play with people I know I can trust and with those that aren't going to stomp their feet like a two-year old when things don't go their way. Just because they don't group up for flashpoint, uprising, operations doesn't mean they are not doing the content, they are just playing it with people they know.

Of all the replies to DontbeSWG (hereafter, DB), this response by Casira is hands-down the best, which is not a shock given the source. Though Casira, I do disagree with your signature -- men should be faaabbuulllooouuuusssss too. :cool:

DB, you seem to have a particular view of MMOs, namely, one which leads to progression raiding and ranked PvP. That's fine, but for me, that's an impossibility. Without disclosing too many details of my life, which is neither anyone's business nor, I imagine, anyone's interest -- I am in a profession that is on call 24/7. I was fortunate to find a group of friends in WoW when 10 man raiding (40 and 25 man was too much) was introduced, and we would be on Vent or TS and I would get a call, and it would not matter, I had to answer. I would, fortunately, know within seconds of the call taking place whether it meant I had to leave my residence and I could at least give my raid group the courtesy of that.

Now that I'm a bit older (gasp 40s! :eek:), I have an established set of gaming friends (several of whom I have persuaded to join us). It's pretty arrogant of you to say that because we want to group together to do Flashpoints and PvP, but not Operations, that we don't want the MMO experience. Moreover, I read your Twitch article and it was interesting -- but as others, noticeably Transcend have pointed out, suffers from several methodological flaws, which I won't repeat here.

And seriously, if the game is dead and you hate it so much and we are not true MMO players, why are you here trying to convince us? Alas, I shall never know because...

While Casira has proven herself to be nice, I am not -- and can proudly wear the tiara of *****y queen: Bluntly put [insert voice of Dr. Oggurobb], "Your critical analysis skills and hypocritical statements rival that of Menace, hence the reason you now have the distinct (soon to be less) honor of being the second person ever anointed to my ignore list. The positive externality, ipso facto, is that the last 20 pages of this thread have been reduced by half." :rak_03:

All the best,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Jdast;9379450]Of all the replies to DontbeSWG (hereafter, DB), this response by Casira is hands-down the best, which is not a shock given the source. Though Casira, I do disagree with your signature -- men should be faaabbuulllooouuuusssss too. :cool:

Hehe, I call my boyfriend awesome and my hero instead. He likes that better.

DB, you seem to have a particular view of MMOs, namely, one which leads to progression raiding and ranked PvP.

For this game, yes because that's where the content leads, but for a game that is better than this I suggested more open world non-instance content that is pve and pvp in nature.

But the suggestions for this game to be more single player focused are killing this game!

That's fine, but for me, that's an impossibility. Without disclosing too many details of my life, which is neither anyone's business nor, I imagine, anyone's interest -- I am in a profession that is on call 24/7. I was fortunate to find a group of friends in WoW when 10 man raiding (40 and 25 man was too much) was introduced, and we would be on Vent or TS and I would get a call, and it would not matter, I had to answer. I would, fortunately, know within seconds of the call taking place whether it meant I had to leave my residence and I could at least give my raid group the courtesy of that.

This is why non-instance large scale would be a benefit, and even in this setting if things are planned out you can easily accommodate this and most raid groups are willing to substitute. You people act like its a crime to put a little detail and effort into grouping...

Now that I'm a bit older (gasp 40s! :eek:), I have an established set of gaming friends (several of whom I have persuaded to join us). It's pretty arrogant of you to say that because we want to group together to do Flashpoints and PvP, but not Operations, that we don't want the MMO experience. Moreover, I read your Twitch article and it was interesting -- but as others, noticeably Transcend have pointed out, suffers from several methodological flaws, which I won't repeat here.

Being that you are pleasant person, with a i'm assuming equally pleasant partner, you're not going to ignore a plate of food they make for you. This is on a larger scale, if the devs make this kind of expensive and time consuming content and people don't play it... well then its not going to be made.

Here is the thing that you guys have to understand, these games are healthy when they have more of those people you don't want to play with because they aren't your special little friends. I totally understand you guys want your non massive content but you know it's kind of in the title of the game that it be massive... and when it's not SHOCKING!!!!!!!! These games don't make it.

And seriously, if the game is dead and you hate it so much and we are not true MMO players, why are you here trying to convince us? Alas, I shall never know because...

I hate what you people have done to the game, I loved playing it up until 4.0 when you people allowed the devs to make half a game and put it into a coma that has lead to it's death. I am not pleading, I am venting because I KNOW you people will never understand what makes this type of game successful because you are bought into the myth that these games need more story. Play a single player then, that's what they are designed for... but why bother right? I'm just saying nonsense by asking you to adhere to genre of the game.

While Casira has proven herself to be nice, I am not -- and can proudly wear the tiara of *****y queen: Bluntly put [insert voice of Dr. Oggurobb], "Your critical analysis skills and hypocritical statements rival that of Menace, hence the reason you now have the distinct (soon to be less) honor of being the second person ever anointed to my ignore list. The positive externality, ipso facto, is that the last 20 pages of this thread have been reduced by half." :rak_03:

All the best,

Dasty

I wouldn't waste the time putting you on ignore, I'd rather read your nonsense and pity you.

You dont RP. You dont fully take part. You dont get the right to decide "how it should be played". You are just a johnny come lately kid in the world of computer gaming. You dont get to dictate to others.

You dont RP. You dont fully take part. You dont get the right to decide "how it should be played". You are just a johnny come lately kid in the world of computer gaming. You dont get to dictate to others.

So I didn't play SWG? I didn't RP on Valcyn?

It could be that twitch mmo streams are not as popular with the masses as you would wish, which makes you even more insignificant. too bad about that.

Well it's obviously nonsense to those who believe in nonsense.

If you are pushing for a game that focuses on single player in a game made for multiplayer online, why do you believe you have any right to declare what is nonsense and what is not?

For the last two expansions there has been two shifts in the game:

1) Less developers, staff, and resources allocated for the game and 2) Single player content focus

So for you people complaining about the state of the game when you got what you want, you're a cancer to it. However what most of us are failing to see is that this game is dead.

I have a question, DO YOU PEOPLE HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS GAME WILL BE FULLY STAFFED, BUDGETED, AND PUSHED NOW THAT EA IS MAKING AND PUSHING ANTHEM?

I'm going to do a more productive thing and hope that Anthem isn't crap and wait for the next Star Wars MMO.

I deem it nonsensical because when you review your posts you are all over the show, you actually fail to make sense.

That and you seem to be blatantly trolling so there is that too. :)

I deem it nonsensical because when you review your posts you are all over the show, you actually fail to make sense.

That and you seem to be blatantly trolling so there is that too. :)

So you believe EA thinks this game has a future? You think this game is being developed in a manner that isn't below functional?

We all should be mad that this game is still a sub2play at all.

Edited by dontbeswg