PvE stealth detection

So, good day everyone, and thank you for joining.

Any class capable of stealthing probably encountered the big orange circle above one's head more than once, kicking you out of stealth when you get too close to a boss or just special enemies.

Above all, I agree with the decision to implement something like that. Stealthers can sometimes have a completely unexpected advantage due to not being seen, and this is a way to tackle that problem.

This, however, brings me to my "but": While I understand that stealth detection is necessary, I don't see how it's useful or logical to pull aggro from further away when stealthed. I can stand in stealth at 50 meters distance, with group members standing at 20 meters from the enemy in question, and pull the boss/whatever. Me, in stealth. Not them, visible and right in front of the bad guys.

Now I don't expect to clip an enemy's toe nails from stealth, but it does seem a little strange that, in most of endgame PvE, stealth actually makes me easier to detect.

Now of course, you could say it's not a big deal, after all this only affects the very beginning of the fight, and has no impact after that. That is, of course, true, but there are situations where it simply puts me (any stealth class, really) at a major disadvantage.

For instance, maybe some adds need to be taken down fast at the start of the fight. Tank charges, any warriors/knights charge, stealthers... well, we take it slow. Shadows/assassins can overcome that with force speed to an extend, but operatives/scoundrels really take a walk. And, more often than not, end up useless, because the rest of the gang already killed all that needs killing.

It simply feels like I put me and my team at a disadvantage by using stealth or actually tagging along at all. A shorter stealth range detection would help to solve that; while operatives/scoundrels still have no "here I come" ability like force speed or force jump, they could get a little closer to enemies beforehand, evening out the travel times a little.

It's still a fix for something that only affects the start of the fight, but it just feels wrong when you accidentally pull a boss from 50 meters away due to being "hard to detect".

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, this is still a problem, and why I abandoned my Shadow Consular when I transferred servers. I see every stealth class I group with come across this same problem. You can test it yourself on Boarding Party, or Cademimu. Come up to a group with a Champion mob, and have your stealth class stand behind the rest of the group. As soon as s/he hits stealth, the Champ will spot them and aggro to them, even if they're 10m behind you.

Stealth is broken in PvE. And at this rate, it may never get fixed.

I agree that it's goofy that stealth can cause mobs to aggro from farther away than normal.

It IS hilarious when it causes the observation droids in Lost Island (which are usually passive/neutral) to aggro on you, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This has caused me to almost be kicked from groups. No other classes understand this mechanic and when you try to explain they couldn't care less. The ability to be detected from FURTHER away from UNSTEALTHED people makes no sense. Other classes have their abilities to get into position faster, but yet us Agents... well, we'll eventually get there...