Slicing Nerf & Future Game Design

Androvis

I'd like to see a spreadsheet that lays out the best time = money returns. However, my experience suggests that tiers 3-5 are the best to continue to run when factoring in the non-lockbox extras that come back like missions and cybertech schematics. Even so I often run out of rich missions for tiers 3-5 with four companions running and am forced to run other less desirable missions, especially factoring in the time reductions I am seeing by mixing in companions with a high rate of affection and the droid or newer companions.

The three best missions in terms for creds per minute are all 25-32 level.

Since i got kinda curious about slicing i dropped a gathering skill and took slicing.

This are the results.

I had armstech, scavenging and investigation.

for example, i made 20k a day with that.

I dropped investigation and even though i have to buy the stuff i normally got with investigation i now make 40k a day.

So u people can make up the rest and draw conclusions.

Anybody who draws a conclusion about anything based on unsubstantiated numbers from one person on the forums needs to be slapped.

I'd like to see a spreadsheet that lays out the best time = money returns. However, my experience suggests that tiers 3-5 are the best to continue to run when factoring in the non-lockbox extras that come back like missions and cybertech schematics. Even so I often run out of rich missions for tiers 3-5 with four companions running and am forced to run other less desirable missions, especially factoring in the time reductions I am seeing by mixing in companions with a high rate of affection and the droid or newer companions.

There is a spreadsheet floating around that has every mission listed with it's profit-per-minute numbers listed. And yes, the most profitable missions are in the third and fourth levels.

/shrug, I make 5k a pop selling mods that take me a couple of minutes each to make. I make more with cy tech than I can by slicing alone.

I was happy that for once I wasn't playing an MMO that kept me in the poorhouse, I seriously hate that.

The easier fix for this, is to only allow players to run missions that are in the level range they fall into and lower. I.E. You can't run level 50 missions on a level 10 character. That's the real problem. The rewards are/were pretty balanced for the bracket you are suppose to be in. This also stops gold sellers from setting up armies of lowbie bots to farm slicing.

the other crew skills can be as profitable as slicing but require far more effort to do so.

none of my crew members come back with boxes full of money in scavenging cybertech or underworld trading. they DO come back with stuff i can sell on the market. but the market isn't widely reachable so unless i hang out at the fleet running ut and and cybertech my profit per minute is more of a profit per day.

the arguement that prices will rise later on and leave cybertech behind is kind of self fulfilling prophesy. if everyman and his dog is slicing the few other skills will get more expensive. as it stands i bought a lvl2 speeder schematic for 600ish credits. you guys are in huge competition with yourselves and no-one else. i can't buy barrels for my assualt cannon but i can find 10 lvl2 speeder schematics? you guys are also the ones injecting the funds into the community driving prices up. if i can keep upping my prices because you guys are paying it, i will.

so yeah nerfing an economy breaking skill set is wise.

slicing was the only thing that made swtor crafting bearable. i can't believe it got changed so quickly. for the record, i don't even have slicing. my husband does and it was the only way we made money between the two of us.

it worries me that they’ll make live changes without thinking about the consequences. instead of nerfing slicing to make it blow alongside the other gathering skills, the other gathering skills should have been improved.

if someone wants to make their money through gathering skills, freaking let them. there is an investment to it and there is a risk as well. there’s virtually no other way to make money in the game; especially at lower levels (for example, no one wants your grade 1 metals). if there is a way tell me. and keep in mind that i want to level my crafting as my gain my personal levels.

crafting is a part of the game and, thus, should be a viable past time to level while your character is leveling. making all the skills be so hard on the wallet might make the game "balanced" but it sure as crap doesn't make it fun. crafting, in general, won’t be viable until you’ve made some money elsewhere. what’s the point, then?

nerfing something just because people complain about it being “too good” should make you look at what’s bad. changing the good thing so quickly really worries me. is this how bioware is going to handle minority complainers on their forums? if so we’re looking at a very rocky set of patches until they grow a pair or gain some direction.

The whole reason why slicing was "unbalanced" (it wasn't really) is because you can level your crew skills to 400 without having to attain some minimum level. So you could quickly (2-3 hours or less) grind out an alt, get your companion, learn a crew skill, then constantly send that companion out on slicing / whatever missions.

The chief design defect was that your max gathering/crafting level was not tied to your character level. So that you'd have to be level 35 before you could go past 350 crafting, for instance.