World bosses on pvp servers

Should a group of 3-4 players of the opposite faction be able to repeatedly ruin your attempts at a world boss? I'm not qqing, just wondering if the res timers should be structured to ensure that after you've been killed 20 times, maybe you should be forced to sit it out and watch for a while.

admittedly, we only barely had enough dps to kill the boss before he enrages under perfect conditions. Should have had another 3-4 to take care of the pvp. Meh.

Like you said, it's a PvP server - you'll just have to deal with it.

That is, if you can actually get the boss to spawn - still cant kill the primal destroyer (because he wont spawn), going on over a week now.

Edited by Jurugar

I'm not playing on a PvP server but I can see the problem there. Few players can definitely ruin one of those fights completely.

I don't think there's any way to fix this without creating a possible PvP exploit (for example PvP turning automatically off around world bosses) or creating huge amounts of whine (limiting players who get killed several times by those attempting a world boss kill) .

I also believe that there's a very thin line between legit PvP action and excessive griefing. It's very subjective, and that's why I don't see Bioware addressing this anytime soon.

Like you said, it's a PvP server - you'll just have to deal with it.

That is, if you can actually get the boss to spawn - still cant kill the primal destroyer, going on over a week now.

That the one on Belsavis? Spawns three adds or something? My guild did it the first week the game came out. We just zergged the boss from 100-0 then focused on the adds.

And to answer the OP, that's part of the fun on pvp servers. I can recall times in WoW my guild fending off an Alliance guild while doing the world dragons or that giant demonlord (can't remember his name). If you have a full raid group, you should easily destroy a single group of attackers even if you take a moment to pull off the world boss. just keep your healers near your dps and not in the back.

That the one on Belsavis? Spawns three adds or something? My guild did it the first week the game came out. We just zergged the boss from 100-0 then focused on the adds.

Pretty sure that's what you're supposed to do, because if you kill any adds the boss enrages.

To the OP, the answer is "yes, they can grief you all day long". You're on a PvP server, you knew what you were signing up for.

Yeah sorry, I meant to say that we cant kill him because he refuses to respawn, not because he's difficult.

Certainly, those are the joys of a PvP server. It wasn't too long ago we did the same thing to the opposing faction. We were making our rounds killing all the world bosses when we happened to run across a large group of republic doing the same thing. 15vs15 World PvP = Good times. ;)

If you guys cant take em, leave and do it another day.

The PvP over the boss is actually more fun than the boss itself more often than not. It truly feels THAT much better to be able to kill the boss after killing all of your attackers.

Last week my guild ran up against at least 20 imps to our 10 people, decimating us until we were able to scrounge up another 6 randoms who were doing dailies nearby. I believe we fought back and forth for about an hour before we actually tried to kill the boss. When we finally starting hitting it, they all ran back in, but instead of attacking US they just killed the adds. When the adds die, not only does the World Destroyer enrage, but he also does a huge AoE knockup that does massive damage. So this was just another easier strategy to wipe us, considering they couldn't handle us by themselves, even 16-20.

Several more attempts, all going about the same. We were fortunately able to continuously wipe the imps out before starting each attempt, but that didn't make them give up. The final fight: We got the boss down to about 75% before they attacked, but this time our tank stayed alive as we respawned so they decided to take aggro....but forgot to kill the adds beforehand. Throughout all of this, we were rezzing at the nearby republic outpost straggling back in to continue fighting them off. We took out turn to kill the adds and drop the empire low on health as both sides continued to pound on the boss. When it was at about 5% health, our MT taunted back to grab aggro and we finished it off. We then proceeded to fight to our last man against their respawns who were FINALLY trickling in after dying periodically throughout the fight. We didn't wipe them after the boss, but it was a pretty epic encounter nonetheless.

I personally wouldn't have it any other way. How fun can it be to just farm a world boss day in day out? Much less if you have to take TURNS farming it? I'd MUCH rather there be some action now and then to spice things up. More of a challenge that way.

Well, I wasn't complaining about it the first 20 times they rezzed on us, and they weren't abusing game mechanics to wipe us, all they did was distract us from the bosses enough for us to hit the enrage timer. it's just frustrating that even killing them repeatedly every time res isn't enough. Meh, qq, I know.

Edit: posted from the phone, auto-fill fix :p

Edited by ApakSL

Well, I wasn't complaining about it the first 20 times they reformed on us, and they weren't abusing game mechanics to wipe us, all they did was distract us from the bosses enough for us to hit the enrage timer. it's just frustrating that even killing them repeatedly every time res isn't enough. Meh, qq, I know.

If you did it that many times, and still unable to kill him due to interference, you should've all taken a break for a while (pvp, different world boss, quest, whatever) and returned an hour or two later. You could still be griefed but only the most dedicated of skirmishers would camp a spot you all left for that long.

Most world boss locations also put them out of the main traffick areas. Assemble in small groups around their spawn sites if you feel a need to be covert. Generally a mass gathering of opposite faction members raises attention in general chat channels vs seeing a single group of enemies.

Attacking healers at key times or stuff like that should be allowed.

But using game mechanics to screw people up is kind of exploiting. Like training some adds into the group or triggering something that shouldnt happen..those types of things are lame.

If its a pvp server its pvp, why don't people understand it.

You don't wait for hostiles to murder friendlies, you actively scout for them and murder them with overwhelming numbers, spam everything on them, every stun, every damage every damage over time, till they down in the dirt, camp body, repeat.

Are people seriously doing world bosses on pvp servers, looking at red hostile players coming by, keep grinding down the bosses health, oblivious to hostile players marching up to attack them, then as they are being attacked still remain obivous.

As to 4 people ruining your day, bring more people then is necessary to kill the boss and any people of the other faction, they bring 4 to ruin your party, you bring 8 to ruin theirs.

Too many people eating special K and running bots are in PVP servers, PVE is that way. SWOTAR should have server transfers for people who obviously picked the wrong server.

Well, I wasn't complaining about it the first 20 times they reformed on us, and they weren't abusing game mechanics to wipe us, all they did was distract us from the bosses enough for us to hit the enrage timer. it's just frustrating that even killing them repeatedly every time res isn't enough. Meh, qq, I know.

Have you thought of one group focused on boss and one actively hunting gankers?

If you did it that many times, and still unable to kill him due to interference, you should've all taken a break for a while (pvp, different world boss, quest, whatever) and returned an hour or two later. You could still be griefed but only the most dedicated of skirmishers would camp a spot you all left for that long.

Most world boss locations also put them out of the main traffick areas. Assemble in small groups around their spawn sites if you feel a need to be covert. Generally a mass gathering of opposite faction members raises attention in general chat channels vs seeing a single group of enemies.

We only made 3 attempts, they would res 6-7 times each during an attempt. I think my phones swype mucked up my wording.

They didn't wipe us, but they caused enough of a distraction that the boss enraged each attempt. That's my only point. I get that pvp happens on a pvp server, I get that we need to keep our eyes open for enemy faction. It just irks me a little bit that they can just keep rezzing at the medical droid, ruin back and cause more trouble while individually being so ineffective.

To be clear: it sucks that by repeatedly throwing themselves to an assured death they were able to make us take so long that we hit the enrage timer

What is lame is trying to kill Belsavis world boss as imperial. The republic base is just way too close to the world boss. Wiping the floor with them a few times when it was 1 (us) : 2 (them) and after that watching them continuously flood us because their respawn is so flockin close as well as watching them disband their raid to have them all call out their companions suddenly made it more like 1 : 4 odds.

Is this thread for real? OF COURSE IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED!!!! World Boss pvp fights is what pvp servers are about, what else do you roll on a pvp server for, so you can go gank lowbies why they try and level, and call that fun?

Some of the funnest/best pvp I've had is from old world bosses on pvp servers on the game that shall not be named. You need tactics, help from your side (not just your friends or guild) etc.

Look, we all know the little designated areas for world pvp don't work, they just don't. If you are looking to get some competitive world pvp, around the bosses is where you will find it. Or you can troll for lowbies like half the people on pvp servers these days do, because thats...fun. :rolleyes:

As long as there isn't any kind of exploitable kill steal tactic, I don't really see the point of this thread other than someone that should have rolled PvE and is regretting it.

Edited by Damarak

Keeping the opposite faction from completing their pve goals is fun, it's one of those "reasons" for world PVP. If it ever feels like an "interruption" or "distraction" from your game and not an integral "part" of the game, then it's definitely time to reconsider server type choice.