Is the merc/pyotech build viable at all in PvP?

-KeggER-

Ok I've just returned to the game and have been trying to get my conquerors armor set. I have the blasters for both hands so far. My other gear is all orange modded with 28 Augs geared with aim.. And my build is 0/10/36

No matter what build I try, in pvp, I get stunned and killed constantly. I cannot move, and my damage has never been over 200k and I go down almost instantly. With this being the case, I'm barely getting more that 6-7 medals per match.

I guess what I'm really wondering is... Is the merc/ pyrotech worth trying to play in wars zones, or am I just wasting my time? Or, am i just plain doing it wrong? Do I need to have maxed pvp gear to be competitive?

Does anyone have success with merc/pyrotech? I could really use some insight

Thanks in advance

Edited by -KeggER-

Like any merc build... if you are interrupted its over. So basically if the other guy knows what he is doing you will lose by default. That is the weakness of the class since day 1.

If you want to kill anyone while using pyro you might consider Powertech... now that is a pyro build that excels at PvP.

Your orange modded gear, are you running with the Conqueror armorings/mods/enhancements/ in it or are you using older PvP stuff or PvE? If PvE, what level is it?

It all makes a big difference. If you have older (Champion, BM, Partisan) armorings/mods/enhancements in your gear then you aren't getting bolstered up to 2018 expertise and you're gimping yourself. If you're running with PvE stuff in, if it's too high of a level then you aren't getting bolstered up all the way either and you're gimping yourself.

Your orange modded gear, are you running with the Conqueror armorings/mods/enhancements/ in it or are you using older PvP stuff or PvE? If PvE, what level is it?

It all makes a big difference. If you have older (Champion, BM, Partisan) armorings/mods/enhancements in your gear then you aren't getting bolstered up to 2018 expertise and you're gimping yourself. If you're running with PvE stuff in, if it's too high of a level then you aren't getting bolstered up all the way either and you're gimping yourself.

I'm working on getting my conquerors set now. Plugging In the admiring and mods into my orange gear. My bolster in wzs is 1896... Is this really

Gimping me?

I would check out these two threads on Bolster.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=707204

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720575

These will give you better idea about what bolster actually does and why some things are better than others.

Now, if you can get bolster figured out and you get yourself min/maxed and you're still getting demolished then it is a "Learn to Play" issue. I don't mean that in a mean way or anything, it's just what it is. Learning a rotation, that you aren't a real front line fighter, LoSing, pillar humping, all of that is included.

A merc pyro/arsenal is indeed more than viable in regs, in ranked it takes quite a bit of babysitting by your team mates. But it is not an easy class to learn simply because it can be shut down so easily and most players get aggravated with the class, along with the republic mirror commandos, and stop playing them in favor of something easier.

I'm working on getting my conquerors set now. Plugging In the admiring and mods into my orange gear. My bolster in wzs is 1896... Is this really

Gimping me?

Combined with your gear is gimping you. Check the bolster threads above. Buy 66 mods with the combinations mentioned until you get full conq.

Yes! They could wreck havoc but you need to babysit it and never go to solo. Just don't forgot you are a range dps and your best defense is the range and never chase your target. Also you can heal yourself. If you are taking damage run away and heal yourself then wreck some havoc again. Seriously Pyrotech Merc has high survivability and damage ratio than Arsenal Merc. You got some instant ability that could do alot of damage but it takes time.

I find success by keeping your distance from the enemy. The slows applied from the talent sweltering heat as well as electro net, and jet boost keeps the enemy from reaching you. Applying slows along with using hydraulic overrides makes sure your enemy is as far as possible. This spec deals with a lot of kiting an letting your dots tick away at your opponents life till its low enough to apply burst with thermal detonator and rail shot. You can heal your self on the move as well with a kolto missle to your feet and a power surge+ rapid scan. I have full conq set right now with 2 obroan implants usually getting top 1-3 in damage done by my team.

• 2 weeks later...
Seriously Pyrotech Merc has high (sic) survivability and damage ratio than Arsenal Merc. You got some instant ability that could do alot of damage but it takes time.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Against a middle tree Jugg/Guardian in particular the Merc Pyro is noticeably weaker than the Merc Arsenal. After the Juggs initial leap, the Arsenal can pop HO which will still have a tail after the Jugg uses Awe. This is not the case with the Merc Pyro. So the Merc Pyro is screwed, unable to get distance unless he is up against a bad Jugg.

One of the real problems of the Merc Pyro is that his DoTs eliminate any meaningful use of Concussion Missile or the mezz grenade. A good Arsenal Merc is using those two strategically. In particular good Arsenal Merc's are thinking about the Concussion Missile as a ElectroNet gateway, i.e. you are baiting the enemy melee to use his cc breaker on Concussion Missile in order to setup a proper ElectroNet.