SOA 8man HM/Nm

is it just me or does the difference from normal to HM/NM on his lightning ball dmg insanly overpowered? i know that his aoe is reduced from pylons during the jump phase but is there a way to nerf the dmg from the lightning balls? they shouldnt be doing 90% of our raids health when were almost full rakata, he is the only thing holding us back from full clear, i know sage bubble helps but there should be something else WTB Dmg nerf on lightning balls

Ummmm based on the way you worded a few things...

1) If you're getting the massive aoe after a transition, you're not doing the transition properly. You should only get that if you mess up.

2) Are you stacking to eat the balls??????????

You have to be fast about eating the lightning balls. If you allow its "ranged" attack to tick on you more than once, you're probably going to die.

From time to time my guild experienced a double damage tick on the explosion, but that's about the only part that was odd with them. Our problem was him deciding to despawn 80% of the time even after the so called "fix" to the mind traps.

Bring a sorceror, the bubble makes the lightning balls a lot easier.

Edited by Nessirin

warriors can charge it

sins can immune it

mercs use their dmg reduction shield

sorcs force speed into it (make sure to stand still after hitting)

PTs can grip it to them? (i think)

snipers have dmg reduction, as do OPs, but they don't get any type of speed buff so they must run in a straight line to the ball, without dilly dallying and not committing or backpeddlin away and getting zapped (or standing still)

it's really important whoever is targeted is topped off and sorc bubbled beforehand, if the ball target is low and will die even if they take 0 zaps, they need to kite it until healed

and it's very important to explode your ball as fast as possible

and lastly, all classes should use their health potion immediately after exploding a ball, just incase they get tossed up in the air, healers need to be healing the ball people the second they explode it as well

Edited by Seanimus

warriors can charge it

sins can immune it

mercs use their dmg reduction shield

sorcs force speed into it (make sure to stand still after hitting)

PTs can grip it to them? (i think)

snipers have dmg reduction, as do OPs, but they don't get any type of speed buff so they must run in a straight line to the ball, without dilly dallying and not committing or backpeddlin away and getting zapped (or standing still)

it's really important whoever is targeted is topped off and sorc bubbled beforehand, if the ball target is low and will die even if they take 0 zaps, they need to kite it until healed

and it's very important to explode your ball as fast as possible

and lastly, all classes should use their health potion immediately after exploding a ball, just incase they get tossed up in the air, healers need to be healing the ball people the second they explode it as well

seeing as they dont always target cant be charged sorcs should never force speed into them it makes them take the ball dmg 2 times stop giving people terrible info

lol ok except I force speed everytime and never take this "double damage" you speak of and also haven't died to a ball in 2 months

but ok pro, we one shot soa on NM every week and clear all content in less then 2 hours and my post is completely legit filled with useful information so

u bad

Edited by Seanimus

The lightning balls are a pure tactics issue. My guild is currently struggling with it, we find that a single slow person in the raid can often mean a wipe as a ball will drift in to the rest of the group and kill everyone.

However, once people get used to running in to the balls asap, it should be doable.

The lightning balls are a pure tactics issue. My guild is currently struggling with it, we find that a single slow person in the raid can often mean a wipe as a ball will drift in to the rest of the group and kill everyone.

However, once people get used to running in to the balls asap, it should be doable.

Can only agree to it. We have as well a problem with the ball lightnings on a 8 ppl soa.

But not because the Ball Lightnings are to hard, or hitting to high. Its just there is always someone who is not smart enough and pulling the Balls right into the raid. Or waiting to long and dancing around, getting hit by one tick after another.

This, combined with some bad luck (top of the list was despawn at 3%) that can always happen on this event, means endless, boring wipes on Soa.

This. Once people realize what they need to do in the lightning ball phase it becomes a lot easier. It is not as scary or impossible as people think it is, just don't be stupid and don't kill your raid mates.

We are still struggling with him in HM (can clear HM Karags and 4/5 NM Ev) but that is purely an execution issue. People running into 2 balls or running it through the group or just bad luck (healer in trap and 2nd healer picked up etc). More often than not we are hitting the enrage timer, than wiping in P2 ...

The only thing they need to do is fix the actual bugs (despawning, floors, etc), including the speeder bug (my biggest pet peeve -- should drop you closer, not at Garj).

Hard fights are fun! Makes for better players

Edited by Entzundlich

We completed NM mode last night with partial guild/partial pug. One shot on NM Soa. As mentioned above, as long as people know what to do on Lightning Balls, and healers are on top of it, its an easy fight.

What do you do on the lightning balls. Our Sorcerers die from them 9 times out of 10, full health and bubble. It doesn't matter if they run through it, run up to it and stop in the middle, sprint through them, or stand still and let them hit them. The balls tick 3-4 times, 9 times out of 10. So if we get lucky and they all get that 1 time in the second phase and we make it to the 3 phase. They die to the ball when they have to blow it up in the 3rd phase. This is 8 man Soa.

We've been doing NM Soa forever. When we started, they used to do 2-3 ticks and it's instant death or you make it out alive with a few hundred hp. And yes this is with trying to trun through it and stopping in the middle of the ball after it explodes. Then it got "fixed" and we've been taking double dmg since then.

Very rarely do I only take 1 tick when eating my ball as a healing sorc with 19k hp fully buff. And that's only if I stop in the middle of the ball after taking it to the face. Running through it even with sprint will always do a double tick (using sprint doesn't even destroy the ball so don't do that) I take about 20k dmg with my shield up in NM when it double ticks. Same **** happens to the rest of my raid but most of the other classes has some way to reduce the dmg by a lot.

What do you do on the lightning balls. Our Sorcerers die from them 9 times out of 10, full health and bubble. It doesn't matter if they run through it, run up to it and stop in the middle, sprint through them, or stand still and let them hit them. The balls tick 3-4 times, 9 times out of 10. So if we get lucky and they all get that 1 time in the second phase and we make it to the 3 phase. They die to the ball when they have to blow it up in the 3rd phase. This is 8 man Soa.

If the balls tick you more than once then you are doing it wrong. You should line up with your ball and confirm its yours from about 15m away, all without taking any damage.

Then, just run through it. If it was your ball, it will pop and hit you hard and thats it. (At this point pray you dont get lifted into the air, but thats a whole nother story...)

Best Practice in HM+ is to have atleast 1 Sage/Sorc heals for AOE heals and Bubbles. Other heal can be any other healing class.

-Have ranged dps stack in front of SOA while MDPS and Tanks get in melee. Move the stack only if they need to get closer to a Mind Prison to destroy it (Mind Prison destruction is more important than SoA dps as he has no timed enrage.) When the names are called for lightning balls, have the people called run diagonally away from the stack (in opposite directions) so they can find which ball is theirs and run through it to destroy it. (Head for the outer circle so you do not pull the ball through the mdps or stacked rdps) The sage/sorc needs to shield both targets if they can to soak as much dam as possible. If main tank is targeted, have them stay on SOA and soak it up with a sage/sorc shield. Other MDPS need to be careful not to get hit at that time. That is really all there is too it, keep to the outside so that others are not hit by the balls ranged attacks and have the sage/sorc shield soak most of the dam.

-Remember at the end of the 2nd phase to watch SOA's health so that you do not push him below 30% while someone is in the air or you will lose that person being thrown.

-Final stage is much the same, except you need to keep an eye out on pillars. (In HM you only get 4 pillars before he enrages so Tank needs to be good at positioning. But this also means you do not have to rush through 2nd stage as there is no timed enrage.)

Edited by angelana

If the balls tick you more than once then you are doing it wrong. You should line up with your ball and confirm its yours from about 15m away, all without taking any damage.

Then, just run through it. If it was your ball, it will pop and hit you hard and thats it. (At this point pray you dont get lifted into the air, but thats a whole nother story...)

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=315iNT1Cf7o&feature=share

Yeah, OK.

Try NM mode and see if you'll say the same thing. Sure double or even triple tick in HM isn't much 10-15k hp, but when it's 20k hp for two ticks in NM it's not so easy is it. And yes it almost always happens no matter what you do.

My guess is you're still running normal and maybe HM where the dmg is easy to heal through even with the double tick.

My only complain with HM SOA is this. The few times I been targeted by the lighting balls Both balls tracked me so it was hard to see which one was mine. You could make the Ball that is mine Red, I will run right too it take the damage and heal myself.

Try NM mode and see if you'll say the same thing. Sure double or even triple tick in HM isn't much 10-15k hp, but when it's 20k hp for two ticks in NM it's not so easy is it. And yes it almost always happens no matter what you do.

My guess is you're still running normal and maybe HM where the dmg is easy to heal through even with the double tick.

You are bad at guessing. We do 16m HM and 8m NMM. Who "heals through" that damage? You soak it and move on.

And yes for me its easy. Full Rakata, I dont remember the last time I died to a ball lightning. Nice try tho.

I take 1 tick of dmg. On Nightmare. ONE time about a month and a half ago, just after KP was released, I took a double explosion from a ball and died. I have been doing a nightmare & normal Soa every week for over two months now. If you are having problems, you're probably doing something wrong.

Sorcs are a little squishy and don't have a dmg reduction cooldown like some other squishy classes have. What I recommend and what I do is:

1) Bubble any squishies who are going to take a ball.

2) Put a resurgence (sorc/sage hot) on any squishies. What this does is add 10% armor = less dmg taken.

No real need to be rude here. Especially when you're wrong.

Edit: Going back to the OP's post, it seems like they were stacking and eating the ball explosion based on the healing tactics described. i.e. "90% of the raid's health" Moving away from that strat is going to be the first step toward success here. If I was wrong in my understanding, then utilizing cooldowns and having good raid awareness will help tremendously.

Edited by Inzi

I take 1 tick of dmg. On Nightmare. ONE time about a month and a half ago, just after KP was released, I took a double explosion from a ball and died. I have been doing a nightmare & normal Soa every week for over two months now. If you are having problems, you're probably doing something wrong.

Sorcs are a little squishy and don't have a dmg reduction cooldown like some other squishy classes have. What I recommend and what I do is:

1) Bubble any squishies who are going to take a ball.

2) Put a resurgence (sorc/sage hot) on any squishies. What this does is add 10% armor = less dmg taken.

No real need to be rude here. Especially when you're wrong.

Edit: Going back to the OP's post, it seems like they were stacking and eating the ball explosion based on the healing tactics described. i.e. "90% of the raid's health" Moving away from that strat is going to be the first step toward success here. If I was wrong in my understanding, then utilizing cooldowns and having good raid awareness will help tremendously.

Care to explain why some people are taking 20k dmg in NM then? We have no problem with Soa NM, but when people say if you're taking more than 1 tick you're doing it wrong is just stupid. Like I said, the few rare occasions I take only 1 tick of dmg when I take the ball and stop in the middle. This happens about 1 out of every 5-10 balls. Running through the ball is always two ticks dealing 20k dmg which I have to heal through.

Nice pro tips there, I'm sure all the healers who are doing NM didn't know to use those.

The dozen of other Soa bugs must be because we're doing it wrong as well right?

People that claim they only take 1 hit actually take 2 hits. Rarely I grab a ball on nightmare and only lose 40% of my health (it happens), thats the normal '1 tick' from the explosion that you should be taking from what i can tell. Usually you take 2hits, which brings a shielded target that doesnt have reduction (sages <<) down to about 10% or a bit less. And today (while we got our infernal title) i had 2 balls and our tank 1 ball that hit 3 times and just killed us.

Its a luck of the draw to be honest, however i'd advice to have atleast everyone with 17k hp or more when shielded, our gunslinger who (despite getting ludicrously lucky on all the drops) has 'only' 17k and when he takes a ball when shielded (non boosted shield though), he's pretty much left with 1 or 2 pixels of health.