Aces?

Argonloris

How are the queues on ToFN these days? I left it a couple of months ago because a pop was a dream during off hours and not-very-often during prime hours nor was there much of a challenge, maybe a few good pilots on each side. Edited by Asbetos

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only names the OP listed that I recognize on the servers I play on are gunship-only players...those aren't "aces" by any stretch of the imagination.

Battlescout Class Forums Strikes Again!

I don't know exactly what an ace is, but if you have to put it in quotes, the odds are it's killing you. If it's killing you from inside those little quote marks, it's definitely better than you.

So those gunships are aces, and you?

You're in the ace thread whining.

Battlescout Class Forums Strikes Again!

I don't know exactly what an ace is, but if you have to put it in quotes, the odds are it's killing you. If it's killing you from inside those little quote marks, it's definitely better than you.

So those gunships are aces, and you?

You're in the ace thread whining.

lol verain, I am listed on our server on republic side twice on the same character lol

guys

Aquilon-tune and tune are not just the same person they are the same character people call me tune for short.

also on this matter most of the aces that are still around on bastion list play all of the ships though each person has their prefrenece from gunship to scouts to bombers (less honestly) to stirkes (also less honestly

So ya I dont think that the idea that most of the people on these lists are Gunship pilots, just looking at the bastion list that is assuredly not the case. I wonder if anyone can guess the ship type I fly the most if you arent from bastion? I am curious to see what there peoples answers are.....though I am CERTAIN if people have been watching the threads they could at least get mine pretty easily, but that is my point its not all GS.

How are the queues on ToFN these days? I left it a couple of months ago because a pop was a dream during off hours and not-very-often during prime hours nor was there much of a challenge, maybe a few good pilots on each side.

Meh, the queues are popping quite frequently, but nothing to be super excited about.

lol verain, I am listed on our server on republic side twice on the same character lol

guys

Aquilon-tune and tune are not just the same person they are the same character people call me tune for short.

also on this matter most of the aces that are still around on bastion list play all of the ships though each person has their prefrenece from gunship to scouts to bombers (less honestly) to stirkes (also less honestly

So ya I dont think that the idea that most of the people on these lists are Gunship pilots, just looking at the bastion list that is assuredly not the case. I wonder if anyone can guess the ship type I fly the most if you arent from bastion? I am curious to see what there peoples answers are.....though I am CERTAIN if people have been watching the threads they could at least get mine pretty easily, but that is my point its not all GS.

And the answer is: (drum roll) Strikepig! As opposed to gunsheeps, cattlescouts, etc.

Strikepig! .

Did not want to derail thread further but with all the complainers here could not resist :D

Strikepig, Strikepig,

Does whatever a strike can

Shoots a missile, any size,

Catches scouts just like flies

Look Out!

Here comes the Strikepig.

Is he strong?

Listen bud,

He's got radioactive warhead.

Can he be of a threat

Take a look overhead

Hey, there

There goes the Strikepig.

In the chill of space

At the scene of a fight

Like a streak of railgun

He arrives just in time.

Strikepig, Strikepig

Friendly neighborhood Strikepig

Wealth and fame

He's ignored

Action is his reward.

To him, life is a great big bang up

Whenever there's a hang up

You'll find the Strikepig.

The only names the OP listed that I recognize on the servers I play on are gunship-only players...those aren't "aces" by any stretch of the imagination.

Define an ace as you will, but to say someone who is a BEAST in ANY ship and not call them an 'ace' is asinine. I'll pew pew you in a strike or a scout too, but I prefer not to waste time and would prefer to kill you quick on my GS. The top GS pilots that I've seen are all going 30+ kills, at least 5+ assists, and 0-3 deaths. That's between a 10 and 30 k/d ratio. No matter what ship you fly, if you can consistently put up numbers even half that decent on a regular basis, you're an ace in my books.

Edit: Just looked at arkanone's post history... Within the past few weeks, all of it minus one message about dogfighting videos is a cry to get rid of gunships. Maybe he should accept the fact that he's just not good at a game that requires situational awareness. But I'm not an ace since the only time I go 32-0 is in a gunship, according to this guy. "I suck, so it must be broken". Set QQ to max!!

Edited by SammyGStatus

Define an ace as you will, but to say someone who is a BEAST in ANY ship and not call them an 'ace' is asinine. I'll pew pew you in a strike or a scout too, but I prefer not to waste time and would prefer to kill you quick on my GS.

You just explained the issue better than I could. Thanks!

That I have 2000+ matches on my GSs spread across 5 servers than the 600~ games I have playing other ship roles? I still have to think when I play the other ships. GS is just second nature to me, the same way that scouts are second nature to friendlygurl (tomeeteje) and scrab and drako and stacie and nem, etc. You put 2000+ games in a ship role, chances are you're gonna be pretty lethal with it. Pew pew!!

Define an ace as you will, but to say someone who is a BEAST in ANY ship and not call them an 'ace' is asinine. I'll pew pew you in a strike or a scout too, but I prefer not to waste time and would prefer to kill you quick on my GS. The top GS pilots that I've seen are all going 30+ kills, at least 5+ assists, and 0-3 deaths. That's between a 10 and 30 k/d ratio. No matter what ship you fly, if you can consistently put up numbers even half that decent on a regular basis, you're an ace in my books.

Edit: Just looked at arkanone's post history... Within the past few weeks, all of it minus one message about dogfighting videos is a cry to get rid of gunships. Maybe he should accept the fact that he's just not good at a game that requires situational awareness. But I'm not an ace since the only time I go 32-0 is in a gunship, according to this guy. "I suck, so it must be broken". Set QQ to max!!

The fact is, it takes as much skill to put up numbers like that in a gunship as it does in a battlescout or a strike fighter or a bomber or whatever. Every ship has strengths and weaknesses. Sure, some are stronger than others, some weaker than others. A gunship doesn't get to 30 kills by just sitting and lining up shots, though--after a few shots, people are going to start coming for you, and unless it's a real matchmaking special it will take some kind of ability to prevent them from murdering you.

On the flipside, in any dogfighting class, badly piloted gunships are straight-up free kills. They hang out in open space, zoomed in, just waiting for you to fly behind them and burst them down while they finish "one more shot." Even well-piloted gunships can be burst initially and chased down (or be driven back to spawn, which is frustrating but which also accomplishes your goal--removing their pressure on your defending teammates. Even if you spend the entire match just looping around to drive them back behind the cap ship turrets, you've completely removed them from relevance which is basically equivalent killing them in every sense except the e-peen scoreboard). If someone can't deal with gunships as a class, they need to re-evaluate their life.

I can get the argument that an "ace" needs to be multi-talented, though, since there's no role selection in matchmaking and if the entire enemy team has gone battlescouts, your gunship-only pilot is going to be in tough straits. In a game that allows and encourages switching ships at a moment's notice, there's definitely value in being able to swap from the gunship you used to clear out and take a point to a bomber or strike fighter you'll use to defend it, or the battlescout you can swap to in order to rush and take a different one.

You wouldn't say someone was very good at rock-paper-scissors if they could only throw rock, even if they threw it really really well...

Edited by Buggleslor

The fact is, it takes as much skill to put up numbers like that in a gunship as it does in a battlescout or a strike fighter or a bomber or whatever. Every ship has strengths and weaknesses. Sure, some are stronger than others, some weaker than others. A gunship doesn't get to 30 kills by just sitting and lining up shots, though--after a few shots, people are going to start coming for you, and unless it's a real matchmaking special it will take some kind of ability to prevent them from murdering you.

On the flipside, in any dogfighting class, badly piloted gunships are straight-up free kills. They hang out in open space, zoomed in, just waiting for you to fly behind them and burst them down while they finish "one more shot." Even well-piloted gunships can be burst initially and chased down (or be driven back to spawn, which is frustrating but which also accomplishes your goal--removing their pressure on your defending teammates. Even if you spend the entire match just looping around to drive them back behind the cap ship turrets, you've completely removed them from relevance which is basically equivalent killing them in every sense except the e-peen scoreboard). If someone can't deal with gunships as a class, they need to re-evaluate their life.

I can get the argument that an "ace" needs to be multi-talented, though, since there's no role selection in matchmaking and if the entire enemy team has gone battlescouts, your gunship-only pilot is going to be in tough straits. In a game that allows and encourages switching ships at a moment's notice, there's definitely value in being able to swap from the gunship you used to clear out and take a point to a bomber or strike fighter you'll use to defend it, or the battlescout you can swap to in order to rush and take a different one.

You wouldn't say someone was very good at rock-paper-scissors if they could only throw rock, even if they threw it really really well...

I understand your point, but here's where we differ.

Ex. Alex from JM is someone I consider an Ace in his gunship. He is good on a scout, but not to the same degree as his GS. Does that mean that he's not an Ace? No, he's definitely an Ace. He's capable of outperforming pilots in either ship, but the degree of devastation is much more in his main ship. I don't agree that you need to be 30+ capable in every ship to be considered an ace.

Hell, I can do these 30+ numbers in a GS and still top charts in kills and damage in 85% of matches played on strikes or scouts (and I don't consider myself a scout or a strike pilot). Playing one ship well makes you an Ace in my eyes, where as being good in multiple ships makes you... an Ace! If you can do something better than 95% of people out there, in one ship or multiple, you should be recognized for your abilities.

There is no reason why playing 1 type of ship should exclude you from this list, or be considered "no skill" because 1 pilot is gawd awful at this game. The skills transfer between ships (except bombers). Strikes and scouts are similar with nuance differences, while the T3 GS takes queues from both scouts and GS. Bombers are just evil, but they take skill to play (especially now that they removed the 'Press 1 and right click to win' ability).

Last point: To put up serious numbers, like 85k+ damage regularly WHEN GETTING FOCUSED and being excluded because of ship class is stupid. It's not your fault the other teams can't shut you down, especially when they're trying, so what's the issue here? An ace = someone who can change the tide of battle just by being in a match. They are few, but they exist, in ALL ship classes.

P.S. The people that say GSs suck are the ones that can't play them well( Pro Tip* If you're getting hit in a GS, MOVE IMMEDIATELY). Know your audience.

Edited by SammyGStatus

This thread is a joke, most of the pilots listed there aren't that good. They hide behind one trick pony builds and when they are caught out side that ship they are torn to pieces and ineffective. So they then get back in their one trick pony and all of a sudden are gods.... yeah.... master ships going up against people with starter ships or half done ships and some how these guys are aces? lol JOKE. Edited by XisscVekno

This thread is a joke, most of the pilots listed there aren't that good. They hide behind one trick pony builds and when they are caught out side that ship they are torn to pieces and ineffective. So they then get back in their one trick pony and all of a sudden are gods.... yeah.... master ships going up against people with starter ships or half done ships and some how these guys are aces? lol JOKE.

Oh yea? Beat them at it. If they can keep killing you over and over, they're better than you. If they can kill 95% people over and over, they're aces.

Oh yea? Beat them at it. If they can keep killing you over and over, they're better than you. If they can kill 95% people over and over, they're aces.

I believe the implication was that there are names on the list that have not, in fact, done any of those things. The only criteria for being on the list is that someone mentioned your name in this thread, which has a very tenuous connection to being able to "kill 95% of people over and over." Unless you can personally vouch for every single player named...?

It's just a popularity thread, simple as that.

There are certainly some players listed that are good, but due to no vetting, no parameters, or definition to what an Ace is... the entire list is suspect due to being entirely subjective. What may qualify as an Ace in one person's mind may not qualify in another's. Personally, I disagree with a large number of players on the JC list. But that doesn't matter, it's just a matter of opinion.

Most of those listed don't play anymore, and nobody being named now is being added to the list. The thread is essentially dead and pointless and should be left to go off into obscurity. Fortunately, I was able to get my player(s) removed from the list before it died.

Perhaps folks just need a shout out thread so they can thank and give kudos to pilots who scuttled their boats or won the day and call it a done deal since nobody can seemingly agree on what an Ace is and what reportable statistics demonstrate it.

I fly on the progenitor regularly, and have, looking at the list of aces on both sides, shot down most of the people on the list, one one one, in a straight dogfight.

Where does this leave me, Junn, in the grand scheme of things?

I fly on the progenitor regularly, and have, looking at the list of aces on both sides, shot down most of the people on the list, one one one, in a straight dogfight.

Heh... two things...

1. Can't nominate yourself - if you're worthy, you'll get nominated by somebody.

2. Everybody gets shot down - even if you're an "Ace"... Aces just have a higher K : D ratio than most others.

And one more for a bonus... This thread is old, not updated and basically a popularity list. Not trying to be negative about it, but if you play a ton and are a halfway decent pilot, the odds of you being on this list grows. Except... it doesn't get updated anymore so I guess getting on it is out.

Edited by Cekis

Heh... two things...

1. Can't nominate yourself - if you're worthy, you'll get nominated by somebody.

2. Everybody gets shot down - even if you're an "Ace"... Aces just have a higher K:D ratio than most others.

And one more for a bonus... This thread is old, not updated and basically a popularity list. Not trying to be negative about it, but if you play a ton and are a halfway decent pilot, the odds of you being on this list grows. Except... it doesn't get updated anymore so I guess getting on it is out.

Not to mention that it's completely subjective. I've had games, even streaks of em, where I'm dominant and maybe dying once at most. To the people who only played me in those games, I'd appear to be an "ace".

I also have games where I'm middle of the road at best. Thankfully, I think my "hopelessly sucking" days are past and I can consistently push my way into the middle of my team.

Point is, I'm most certainly NOT an Ace, but if a player only sees a handful of those "good" games, they may think otherwise. At the same time, you may be a true Ace and no one ever bothers to discover that this thread exists and mention your skills on this rather obscure corner of the forum.

And there's nothing stopping you from nominating yourself: not like your forum name has to match up with your in-game characters' names.

From my point of view: not active enough to get noticed, I've seen you around but not enough to remember you as well as some others. Besides, from that list only Gopeto and Nymika are active, Leong and Oriane fly occasionally lately, Akordia and Lindemann I don't really remember when's the last time I saw them fly.

Edited by Asbetos

I've seen you around as well, Firedemon. I'll give you this much, you're always good for an interesting dogfight. Also, I suspect the reason you haven't seen me around for a while is to do with an eighteen day holiday, coupled with exams.

I don't know if you'd be interested in trying to reopen talks between the FEF/Republic GSF Community and the Imperial GSF groupings, but I certainly would be.

As for shooting down the people on the list, this is in terms of one vs one dogfights, ace vs ace, not as part of a pack of players who happened to get the lucky hit in. Sometimes, yes, I may be finishing someone off, but I almost never fly a gunship, unlike a percentage of the list. Hell, I don't always win those match-ups, but I still intentionally seek out match-ups that are going to challenge me, and I rely on skill, experience, and yes, luck, to give me the edge I need. I'm also Kessler's number two in our guild.

Also, I wasn't nominating myself at all. I was putting my capabilities forwards, yes. But I was not actually asking to be put on the list.

Edited by theaspie

Lindemann I don't really remember when's the last time I saw them fly

I've been playing because of friends, unfortunately most of them left the game already so I don't have any impulse to queue in GSF.

I'm also Kessler's number two in our guild.

"Kessler's number two" would be the worst commendation when I was playing last time. I hope he changed his attitude, but from what I heard yesterday, he's still... himself.

From my point of view: not active enough to get noticed, I've seen you around but not enough to remember you as well as some others. Besides, from that list only Gopeto and Nymika are active, Leong and Oriane fly occasionally lately, Akordia and Lindemann I don't really remember when's the last time I saw them fly.

I roll with Akordia from time to time.

Alas I have never been on that damn list :(:rak_03:

Edited by jankiel