Favorite Disciplines

Cuiwe

1) Vengeance juggernaut/Vigilance Guardian - amazingly fun flow in the rotation, lots of different tools, tons of aoe, sweet animations, good story - everything, basically. My favourite all around discipline.

2) Madness Sorcerer/balance sage - favourite DoT spec, love the rotation, animations, kiting and the voice of fem SI.

3) Marksman sniper/SS slinger - favourite burst spec, gives the best feel of a "pew-pew" class, love the cover mechanic and love Ambush crits. Replaying agent story every half of a year or so, it's just that nice.

Honorable mentions:

1) All 3 specs of operative/scoundrel are nice, play them from time to time to have fun. Can never stick to it for long though.

2) Marauder used to be my main for very long, still quite enjoy Annihilation but the class just got overplayed by me, I think. Can't enjoy it anymore.

3) Quite enjoy tanking, on any class, just depends on my mood. In 3.0 was mostly a sin tank, then guardian, recently been playing VG tank quite a bit.

I won't rank them, I'll rather review my thoughts on classes:

GUARDIAN:

Defense: Imo, the best tanking discipline. You can level with it, you can endgame with it, it's overall very, very fine.

Vigilance: Not a big fan of this one. It's overly convoluted for my tastes and...I just don't like it. Especially when compared with beauties such as Watchman. Just a weird hybrid DoT / DD Discipline(it was fine when it had 6s of Master Strikes).

Focus: A very fun Discipline, but too bad that it's COMPLETELY OVERSHADOWED by its sibling, Concentration.

Overall: Apart from Vigilance being clumsy(imo), it's a fine and fun class. If you don't want to tank though(Skanks count too), don't even think about Guardian! Sentinel is simply more elegant, more fun, more efficient, more everything. Guardian isn't even that more tanky!

SENTINEL: <3 <3 <3

Watchman: I STILL think that Force Melt is out of place here. It doesn't proc Deadly Saber, has a weird upkeep that floats around...can we get melee Leap back, please? Otherwise, an AWESOME Discipline, such a fan of it!

Combat: Yeah, it can be fun, but I don't necessarily like or dislike it. It is the weakest of the three on Sent for me though, for sure. Maybe it'll be better after 5,6, we'll see.

Concentration: OH MY GOD! THIS DISCIPLINE! <3 Flows perfectly, is perfectly effective, is perfectly designed...LOL! SUCH <3 !

Overall: Sporting not that much less tankyness than Guardian(just of Active rather than Passive variant) and with much more active playstyles, this class gets a big <3 from me! Now, just return Valor / Short Fuse back to levels 20-. Thank you!

SAGE:

Seer: Yeah, it's ok, a Healer. Effective, but rather boring. Maybe if there was more of GW 2 / ESO styled Dynamic coops, I'd appreciate all healers more, but this way? Boring.

Telekinetics: It's a fun Discipline if rather unrewarding. For so much work, one would hope to get rewarded, yes? Obviously not lol. It's fine from design standpoint, it just needs numbers tweaks.

Balance: A rather soothing and comforting Discipline. I like it, but it can get boring from time to time. But it's so reliable! <3 The best Sage Discipline, easily. It could also use some numbers tweaks.

Overall: A rather fun class. Both variants fit their class stories like a glove. Now, if only we could dual equip Foci. Chop, chop Bioware!

SHADOW:

Kinetic Combat: It's very effective come late game and a very active playstyle. It's just...it's drab to use anywhere outside group instances(meaning: boring in like 80% of SWTOR) due to its appalling AoE(and overall late game focus). Not a fan of it, it's a nice idea I guess.

Infiltration: I don't know about its efficiency or efficacy, but it's SUPER FUN! I'd just wish that Low Slash was again a Slash instead of this silly 2H Saber throw. It's intuitive, engaging, active, effective, fun! I LOVE IT!

Serenity: I used to love it back when I could use Telekinetic Throw instead of 2x Double Strike as a Filler. Something about all those numbers popping out and being semi ranged, almost Nightblade-ish playstyle spoke to me. Nowadays? /meh

Overall: I used to be a much bigger fan of Shadow back when. Nowadays, I just don't see the point of playing it. Sage's more relaxing and comfortable to play and I don't get enough reward to hassle with Shadow. One ability removed changed so much. Interesting.

COMMANDO:

Field Medic: Another Healer. Whatever.

Gunnery: I'm bigger fan of high tech shots of Gunnery than I am of Arsenal's rockets. This playstyle's rather relaxing and simple. If I could have more of range on Vanguard, I wouldn't even consider it. To be quite honest.

Assault / Ordnance: I mean, I like Ordnance, but more because of fluff(how improvised it feels, a very nice match for a BH). Otherwise, not a big fan of this one. It could stand some simplifications and optimizations. We'll see after 5,6.

Overall: A good class if completely uninteresting to me(outside of fluff). If Vanguard was more efficient...this class would be dead as a doornail to me.

VANGUARD:

Shield: This is my favorite Tank. It's very to play as both in and outside of group content, is fun while leveling, quite sturdy and efficient. Now it could use another DCD(as could Vanguard in general), but I like it. The only problem is how many dead skill slots / boring skills you unlock. The only interesting things you unlock are Energy Blast and Ion Storm(only due to how powerful it gets with Pulse Engine). It could be better and this is the only reason why Defense weasels its way to #1 tank currently.

Tactics: This should have more range than it does currently, but I digress. As it stands, it's a rather bland if very cool(visually) Discipline. Not a big fan of this one. If I could, I'd replace Tactics for Gunnery in a heartbeat on Vanguard(and for Ordnance on Powertech).

Plasma Tech: The things this Discipline was and could and should be. Meh. The current state of Plasma / Pyro quite saddens me. Especially Pyro given the ****** new Transformer animation for DfA, ****** animation for Immolate(replacing a PERFECT animation...what gives?) etc etc. The thing is I actually care about this Discipline(it's SO COOL!), but...oh! I'd like that Flame Burst costs 10 Energy. I'd settle for that tbh.

Overall: I was such a fan of this class. I still endure but nowadays that causes more of a pain than anything else tbh. You know...I don't know what to say. Flamethrowers, Plasma weaponry, Ion / Electric discharges...whatever. So much pain. 10e Ion Pulse + Dual equip Generators is what I'd settle for. And even that is admission of utter defeat.

GUNSLINGER:

Sharpshooter: Potentially my favorite GS discipline. It's a very definition of just what a Slinger / Sniper should do. Very intuitive, very safe, very fun. It's just that visually it's just pew pew.

Saboteur: I like this Discipline, but for the same reason I like Ordnance on Merc. It's a VERY improvised Discipline with a rather easy rotation that's just a visual spectacle! Flyby, Inc. Grenade, Grenade...oh my! I'm just not sure what all of this has to do with Gunslinger / Sniper tbh.

Dirty Fighting: A braindead Discipline if you ask me. And yes. I LOVE IT! This, alongside Ruffian(and perhaps Scrapper) is what a Smuggler should be about: exploit every advantage. It's not so closemindedly focused on either of Guns / Tech as the other two Disciplines...rotation's very easy to play(but rather hard to properly master). This one could very well be my #1 GS Discipline.

Overall: After they eased the requirement on Take Cover on many abilities and consequentially made the class much more mobile, I started to like it even more. While I have utmost respect for Operative(and an uneasy liking for Scoundrel), Gunslinger / Sniper are simply top of the line for me currently. Sentinel's more fun, yes, but you do need more input to reach similar results. Sage's more relaxed, yes, but its dps sucks. Vanguard... ... ok.

SCOUNDREL:

Sawbones: Yay! A healer!

Scrapper: A silly discipline that could've been and should've been more focused on Shot / Scatter gun. It's rather braindead and I don't really like it. Even visually / thematically it's a mess (imo).

Ruffian: Thematically I like it, but...it's the exact same thing as Scrapper, but more backloaded. Actually like Scrapper + Dirty Fighting. I feel like this could be an ideal Discipline for a Smuggler(perhaps, this or DF), but...sure, it's very effective. I'll say that I'm neutral on this one. I just wish it had more range(ESPECIALLY on Operative, you could easily become Dr. Thrax that way :D ).

Overall: A weird class that's some kind of melee / ranged hybrid that....I don't know. I don't like it is what I'll say. I'd like if it had more range in one Discipline(focus Ruffian on Pistol and Lethality on Rifle) and focus the other one on off hand weapon of that class(Shotgun for Scoundrel Scrapper and Knife for Concealment Operative). I could like it in that iteration much more. Current one? Pass. I also highly dislike this TA / UH nonsense.

Edited by Cuiwe

I really like Virulence on my Sniper. I love the idea of using poisons to weaker down enemies, and while you focus on taking down one, you can apply few poison moves to other enemies to weaken them down bit while the battle goes on.

Gunnery Commando is cool spec, I love using big assault cannon, shooting Grav Round when needed, and using Blazing Bolts and few other moves to finish the job.

These are all what come to my mind at the moment. ^^

I really like Virulence on my Sniper. I love the idea of using poisons to weaker down enemies, and while you focus on taking down one, you can apply few poison moves to other enemies to weaken them down bit while the battle goes on.

Gunnery Commando is cool spec, I love using big assault cannon, shooting Grav Round when needed, and using Blazing Bolts and few other moves to finish the job.

These are all what come to my mind at the moment. ^^

I like Poisons as well, but I'd like Lethality much more if I could actually use it with a Rifle, without worrying about Shiv + TA. Maybe give TA gen to Poison tics? Like every 6s or something.

Edited by Cuiwe

If you don't want to tank though(Skanks count too), don't even think about Guardian! Sentinel is simply more elegant, more fun, more efficient, more everything. Guardian isn't even that more tanky!

So, what are those of us who want to DPS but don't like the style of dual wielding supposed to do exactly?

So, what are those of us who want to DPS but don't like the style of dual wielding supposed to do exactly?

Ask BW for a better balance ?

Guardian where not that bad in terms of DPS before, but they got screwed really bad with 5.0 and the bad scaling of defensive ability :/

Guardian in PvE is in a perfectly fine state, what are you talking about? A good Vigilance guardian will outdps any sentinel in most ops fights. Yes, it's squishier than sentinel but for PvE guardian's defenses are alright. You just need to have a bit more awareness.

Guardian in PvE is in a perfectly fine state, what are you talking about? A good Vigilance guardian will outdps any sentinel in most ops fights. Yes, it's squishier than sentinel but for PvE guardian's defenses are alright. You just need to have a bit more awareness.

I highly doubt any of us complaining about guardian defensives in pve. It's PvP where that's a huge problem.

OP just generally said that guardians are trash and there is no point to DPS on them anywhere.

Well they're not trash... but for now marauders deal more damage than guardians (as intended imo) but are also more resistant, which is an issue.

Yeah, they are not in a super good spot, sure. But it could be worse (#Sorcerer) :rolleyes: