Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

Havent played WoW long enough to notice those things but yea apparently sticking to your guns is a difficult thing to do

Things like duel spec is very handy and Id welcome it but species/faction change? Buh bye SW experience and hello general descriptive SciFi MMO with glowy swords

Faction probably change isn't going to happen, as Damion Schubert mentioned, too many coding nightmares.

I don't see how a species change alters the SW experience at all, though. If someone is playing this for the combat aspect, changing species means absolutely nothing. If you're an RP'er, you have your entire reasons written for why it happened, or else you just retroactively pretend that you were that other species from the start fresh without re-leveling. There is a lot of gene splicing and holograms in SW lore. In the agent story, there is an NPC who went through a full physical make-over to become Voss and lived with a Voss family undercover. You can do a lot of interesting things with imagination.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a fair point. It would have been best if this was just placed in game through an npc that charged you a choice of cartel coins or credits if you are a subscriber. That would keep the price stable and fair. But this thread has made it clear that there are a large portion of players that either don't care about or support the CM route.

Making it able to be resold on the GTN would be a compromise, and not everyone would be happy, but Bioware would get profit and players would have the option to buy it with credits.

All the other unlocks and 99% of the items can be sold on the GTN, I see no reason why this would be any different.

As a reward for my loyalty I can change my appearance with no additional cost. So it's right in line with what they're saying. The cartel is meant for vanity items. Change my hair style is by definition vanity.

Clearly this lines up exactly with what they've intended.

So should any and all subsequent vanity additions to the game come to us exclusively through the Cartel Market? Since it can be argued that subscribers can access this content with their "alotted" cash? And why should the game, proper, not include these options?

I hate Cartel Market exclusives. I love the option, but there should always be an in-game method. The CM should provide alternatives, not exclusive features.

Somehow I think you're not telling the whole truth here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=458031

"Yes but right now they have a very low value on the exchange, when they were introduced they could get you 20k each. Its the keys that are valuable and those you have to buy for zen, which you pretty much have to buy with real world money, currently you'd need about 18000 Dilithium to buy the zen for 1 key.

The market for used stuff between players is the Exchange, there are terminals at most starbases, at the Sol Spacedock its in the blue area."

Doesn't sound like the utopia you're claiming it to be.

It takes about two to three days if you are maxing out dilithium to get a key. Okay I better say how this works. I'm going to use max level so you guys can kinda understand it. As some of you haven't played STO.

STO's max level content are Special Task Force missions or as we call them STF's. Almost all of the STF's are facing the Borg. Now if you beat an STF you gain some dilithium ore anywhere from 400 to 900, you may loot a blue/purple item along with the normal loot drops from killing Ships/Borg and one or more Borg Neural Processors. Borg Neural Processors are used to buy the max level Borg Gear, MACO for Feds, Honor Guard for KDF and both have Omega Force gear.

Now dilithium works like this, every day you can refine 8k dilithium ore into 8k dilithium. Now I did forget to point a couple of things out, you do have more missions that get you dilithium ore. Also the refined dilithium is used for more then just buying ZEN. High level gear costs dilithium, and for some of it? It's not cheap, 32,500 dilithium for Mark XII Borg/MACO/Honor/Omega space set parts. Set weapons are about 15k dilithium. Ground gear for Mark XII is 9k. I should also point out that this is from the Reputation System. Along with dilithium you have to pay with Borg or Romulan marks, buy a couple of items with energy credits, and turn in expertise as well.

You also have other items that cost dilithium. Fleet ground and space items cost a set amount of dilithium. You also use dilithium in order to build up the Fleet Starbase. And for those of you screaming about the Cartel Reputation grind? Oh we have one in STO as well with the lock boxes. Anytime you open a lock box you get a number of Lobi Crystals, by the way said crystals are bound to you so no you can't trade/sell them you can with the items they get however. The big Lobi Crystal items are the Ships you can get, they cost 800 Lobi. You get anywhere from 4 to if you are really lucky 25 in every box you open.

Point is yeah you can buy zen with dilithium. However there are a ton of other things to buy besides zen with dilithium in the game, and again you only get to refine 8k every day. So if you want to buy a ship with dilithium at max level it's going to take a good long time to buy it, gear it up as you'll want to get the Fleet/Rep gear. If you want to buy a lock box ship via one from the lock box or the Lobi store ships again it's a ton of money.

Faction probably change isn't going to happen, as Damion Schubert mentioned, too many coding nightmares.

I don't see how a species change alters the SW experience at all, though. If someone is playing this for the combat aspect, changing species means absolutely nothing. If you're an RP'er, you have your entire reasons written for why it happened, or else you just retroactively pretend that you were that other species from the start fresh without re-leveling. There is a lot of gene splicing and holograms in SW lore. In the agent story, there is an NPC who went through a full physical make-over to become Voss and lived with a Voss family undercover. You can do a lot of interesting things with imagination.

The species thing is up for a "But I think.." debate thats why Im not fussed with it and agree with you

I personally dont like it but meh

The species thing is up for a "But I think.." debate thats why Im not fussed with it and agree with you

I personally dont like it but meh

Likewise. I wouldn't take advantage of it, but I see it as a necessary evil if new species are going to be implemented. Too much whining, otherwise.

Depends how much it costs in CC. If it's alot, you can bet the prices on the GTN will be sky-high. If it's a purchase for every time you want to change a character, it's going to be impossible for the casual player to keep up with.

Out of the 16 toons i've taken to 50, only 1 that I'm not happy about after the fact. and would like to change the skin tone, but its not a big issue to me. I suppose this is because I spent a lot of time in the creator to get the looks I was after. I dont know?

it's going to be impossible for the casual player to keep up with.

Really, are they going to do it hourly or even daily, weekly, monthly? I think you're over exaggerating how many times this feature will be used to try and prove some sort of point.

I dont even... have you not been paying attention? The point we're arguing is that this is a basic part of MMO's and should be a complimentary thing for subs with no additional spending bar in-game creds

Put it on the CM as well, I dont care but not exclusive

Im done with this circle****ing with you, if you cant hold a decent argument then dont bother

Then why does WoW charge for it?

It takes about two to three days if you are maxing out dilithium to get a key. Okay I better say how this works. I'm going to use max level so you guys can kinda understand it. As some of you haven't played STO.

STO's max level content are Special Task Force missions or as we call them STF's. Almost all of the STF's are facing the Borg. Now if you beat an STF you gain some dilithium ore anywhere from 400 to 900, you may loot a blue/purple item along with the normal loot drops from killing Ships/Borg and one or more Borg Neural Processors. Borg Neural Processors are used to buy the max level Borg Gear, MACO for Feds, Honor Guard for KDF and both have Omega Force gear.

Now dilithium works like this, every day you can refine 8k dilithium ore into 8k dilithium. Now I did forget to point a couple of things out, you do have more missions that get you dilithium ore. Also the refined dilithium is used for more then just buying ZEN. High level gear costs dilithium, and for some of it? It's not cheap, 32,500 dilithium for Mark XII Borg/MACO/Honor/Omega space set parts. Set weapons are about 15k dilithium. Ground gear for Mark XII is 9k. I should also point out that this is from the Reputation System. Along with dilithium you have to pay with Borg or Romulan marks, buy a couple of items with energy credits, and turn in expertise as well.

You also have other items that cost dilithium. Fleet ground and space items cost a set amount of dilithium. You also use dilithium in order to build up the Fleet Starbase. And for those of you screaming about the Cartel Reputation grind? Oh we have one in STO as well with the lock boxes. Anytime you open a lock box you get a number of Lobi Crystals, by the way said crystals are bound to you so no you can't trade/sell them you can with the items they get however. The big Lobi Crystal items are the Ships you can get, they cost 800 Lobi. You get anywhere from 4 to if you are really lucky 25 in every box you open.

Point is yeah you can buy zen with dilithium. However there are a ton of other things to buy besides zen with dilithium in the game, and again you only get to refine 8k every day. So if you want to buy a ship with dilithium at max level it's going to take a good long time to buy it, gear it up as you'll want to get the Fleet/Rep gear. If you want to buy a lock box ship via one from the lock box or the Lobi store ships again it's a ton of money.

As a sub, you don't have to buy the ship at max level. Or if you bought a ship on the store like the Ody for example, then you get one at max level for all your characters to use. Or use a vet reward ship. Or use the free VA token from Quinn or the Jem'pok or whatever the Romulan person will be.

I guess I should have said that the difference in playing for free vs paid there too. But since the topic here is about subs paying for each barber visit with real money and it better not cost nearly as much as the real barber I go to, I just explained as a subber.

And you can refine more than 8k with that one guy at Starfleet Academy or KDF Academy DOFF mission. It takes 2 days for that to complete though so most ignore it.

So should any and all subsequent vanity additions to the game come to us exclusively through the Cartel Market? Since it can be argued that subscribers can access this content with their "alotted" cash? And why should the game, proper, not include these options?

I hate Cartel Market exclusives. I love the option, but there should always be an in-game method. The CM should provide alternatives, not exclusive features.

There is an alternative, buying the items off the GTN. That is why that system was put in place. To answer your question, no, not all vanity items should be on the cartel market, and they're not. The Gree event items being a recent example.

Who said this game will either?

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

There is an alternative, buying the items off the GTN. That is why that system was put in place. To answer your question, no, not all vanity items should be on the cartel market, and they're not. The Gree event items being a recent example.

All I'm saying is that the GTN nor the complimentary coins should ever be used as an excuse to allow the core game to starve. Precious little isn't earmarked for the CM, these days. It has become a focal point of the game because of justifications like these instead of a supplemental system.

They. Do. For. Changing. Other. Things.

Also, Guild Wars 2.

So? I want to change my hair.

Also, you can buy the things needed with in-game credits, already discussed and pointed out to you yourself.

Again, bring a valid argument but it seems youre incapable of doing so so Ill ignore you before I get myself another infraction for calling you names >_>

You've made a unique point here I think. The CM hasn't really before offered an exclusive feature. This is mildly concerning to me. If, say, pazaak(I actaully prefer sabacc) or swoop racing are considered non-game impacting features, they could potentially be implemented through the CM. Though even if they did so, it would not be enough to make me quit, I would view such a decision very negatively.

So? I want to change my hair.

Also, you can buy the things needed with in-game credits, already discussed and pointed out to you yourself.

Again, bring a valid argument but it seems youre incapable of doing so so Ill ignore you before I get myself another infraction for calling you names >_>

Just like SWTOR.

You appear to be lost.

No, I'm not.

You do not know what it entails, the charging could well be for new styles, and what is currently in the character creator could be free.

People sprouting on for 63 pages on something they have no idea about because it doesn't exist yet would be my definition of lost.

Edited by Mowermanx

All I'm saying is that the GTN nor the complimentary coins should ever be used as an excuse to allow the core game to starve. Precious little isn't earmarked for the CM, these days. It has become a focal point of the game because of justifications like these instead of a supplemental system.

The thing you're failing to take into account is that, for the most part and certainly recently, cartel items are created for the cartel market by a dedicated team who makes things for it. The team is funded by sales of cartel market items. It's doubtful we would be getting as many new vanity items if they weren't being purchased with real money.

No, I'm not.

You do not know what it entails, the charging could well be for new styles, and what is currently in the character creator could be free.

If that was the case they wouldve already stated it, as it stands this is a PR nightmare for them and stating such a thing would have cleared the air. Instead they gave another reply justifying their choice

No, their current aim is to charge or else they wouldve said so to avoid these threads