Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Lol it seems like it got worse with my jedi sentinel after patch 1.1, master strike doesn't even work right no more.

I can confirm that.

I did a couple of warzones with my Sentinel and the ability delay worsened. The character responsiveness improved continually in the weeks before 1.1 but now it is almost unplayable.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is ZERO improovements in Ability Delay department in 1.1, sometime it feels even worse than before (jesus how badly it can be at the end? SWTOR just setted up a lower plank on charapter responsibility, se every time ill ask/discuss some new mmos ill ask people "is it realy so bad as it was in SWTOR, or so good as in WoW?")

I have a 50 power tech and a 50 scoundrel. I don't do flashpoints. When I wasn't leveling I was pvping.

Some people claim that the ability delay issue is not game breaking. For me, it is absolutely driving me insane and negating any other pleasure I may have derived from the game. I'm incredibly disappointed the game was launched this way just so you guys could catch christmas. The game was not remotely ready for a commercial launch as evidenced by the persistence of this glaringly obvious problem a month later. To reiterate, this is a game breaking problem FOR ME.

I'm not impatient, but then again I refuse to concede that being pissed off about something that should have been fixed before launch that STILL ISN'T FIXED means I'm impatient. I'm not going back to wow. I never want to touch that game again. But I paid those devs to ignore the playerbase for years and I'm tired of being stepped on by jerks who can't get a damned clue. I'm not going to put up with it from bioware. So this is my ultimatum. Fix this crap, because it is crap.

THERE IS NO WORD FOR IT BUT CRAP. When people say this should have been priority number one, they weren't jerking you around. When I think of this problem as priority number one this is how I view it: every time you release a patch with little fixes for bugs or whatnot I get a little more pissed off. As far as I'm concerned everyone down to the damned janitor should be working on the character ability delay and I honestly don't want to see another freaking patch note until you can tell me this CRAP is fixed.

I'm paying for one subscription renewal. No more than that. If two months isn't enough time post launch for you to fix something that should have been handled pre-launch then boo-hoo. I feel so ripped off right now.

no fix for 1.1 and no new news from EA so just unsub and wait if something change ....

Uff i like the class and the settings and im very sorry that they choose the more greedy way ...

another SW game Screwed up ...

I continue to support this post as long as i can...

The thing about the ability delay that makes me most angry is simply this: it's caused by a simple design choice to prioritize animations over actions. Such a choice is so mind blowing-ly stupid that I cannot imagine how anyone that had ever played an MMO competitively before could possibly have even been in the room when such a decision was made.

I loved this game had a lot of fun leveling but when I enter a wz the game becomes unplayable

Pvp is important to me and when I play I like to be able to play all aspects of a game

I won't be continuing my sub and will go back to wow pvp because at least it works

Also most pvp fun I've had in this game was killing about 8 imps while trying to get a datacron in enemy territory

I want to get involved I want to play huttball god dammit...

People are aware the patch reset the Ability Delay Peference back to 0.5sec right?

I'm not saying the patch fixed anything, or most things, but if you are noticing a difference be sure to set Ability Delay back to 0.0 or 1.0 before you completely freak out :jawa_wink:

People are aware the patch reset the Ability Delay Peference back to 0.5sec right?

I'm not saying the patch fixed anything, or most things, but if you are noticing a difference be sure to set Ability Delay back to 0.0 or 1.0 before you completely freak out :jawa_wink:

Its not an ability delay, its the time you can skill queue. You can set it for 0.0 seconds, 0.25 seconds, 0.5 seconds, 0.75 seconds, or 1.0 seconds.

I have mine set for 1.0. Why? This allows me to queue my next skill a maximum of one second before it goes off, allowing me to queue a second skill for use right after using the first one.

There is no ability delay in the game, just a huge misunderstanding of how the skill queue system works.

I have seen no ability delays whatsoever since I started playing in late beta.

Its not an ability delay, its the time you can skill queue. You can set it for 0.0 seconds, 0.25 seconds, 0.5 seconds, 0.75 seconds, or 1.0 seconds.

I have mine set for 1.0. Why? This allows me to queue my next skill a maximum of one second before it goes off, allowing me to queue a second skill for use right after using the first one.

There is no ability delay in the game, just a huge misunderstanding of how the skill queue system works.

You must click. There is not only ability delay (easily seen in WZ's) in the game but random occurrences of massive skill hesitation.

Just because you have both hands doesn't mean there are no amputees.

The Ability delay issue is here, it's real and has been acknowledged by the developers (guys who wrote the game code fyi). No matter how much you try to persuade others, the fact is the issue is significantly hampering the gameplay experience for large amount of players and it also deters them from engaging in any SWTOR combat.

If you are lucky not to notice the delay, good for you. But please stop saying people in this topic are seeing things.

Thank you.

My wife and daughter play the WZs. They've seen no ability delay either. Yup, we do click our abilities, and have a seperate numeric pad for our left hands for movement. We only use the mouse for turning or clicking abilities.

Point is, not everyone is seeing this delay.

The ability delay also includes instant abilities NOT FIRING, or using the GCD without the ability actually working. You obviously are miss informed on this issue, but i have to say the name the problem is given "ability delay" gives people the wrong idea of what is actually going on.

My experiences after 1.1 have been up and down on this issue. At first i thought to myself after 3 games of PVP "omg i havnt had a miss fire of an ability yet", thinking big headed and thanking bioware i kind of shot myself in the foot. 30 seconds left of my 4th warzone of the day, NONE of my abilities were firing, but they were using the GCD and giving me error msg's in the middle of my screen. No buffs, instant defensive cooldowns, force leap, guardian leap, NOTHING was working!!! Not even medpacks, i tried ctrl + u twice, did nto fix it. I ended up just running around enemies taking damage because i couldnt even use 1 ability. Not to mention my fps was 60+ and my ping was fine. It was like my normal ability not firing x1000.

Just because you have both hands doesn't mean there are no amputees.

The Ability delay issue is here, it's real and has been acknowledged by the developers (guys who wrote the game code fyi). No matter how much you try to persuade others, the fact is the issue is significantly hampering the gameplay experience for large amount of players and it also deters them from engaging in any SWTOR combat.

If you are lucky not to notice the delay, good for you. But please stop saying people in this topic are seeing things.

Thank you.

I will say what I wish concerning my game experience. Myself, my wife, my daughter, my son, and my brother-in-law have seen no ability delays in-game played on 3 different PCs.

Then again, I built and maintain these three PCs myself, that may have something to do with it.

My wife and daughter play the WZs. They've seen no ability delay either. Yup, we do click our abilities, and have a seperate numeric pad for our left hands for movement. We only use the mouse for turning or clicking abilities.

are they playing melee or ranged bcz u mostly see it as melee especially in warfronts

Yes, some people don't see it. And? Doesn't mean it isn't there. This comes down to reflexes and individual brains, just like some people can see light bulbs flashing really fast and some people can't. Now are you going to say that light bulbs don't flash?

Again - Just because you and people around you can't see it doesn't mean the issue isn't there!

I've noticed something strange with my Sith Sorc. Offensive abilities are almost flawlessly responsive.

This first video shows a little target swapping with no negative impact on responsiveness, including damaging two targets simultaneously before the animation on the ability damaging the second target begins playing:

This video shows two targets being damaged at once twice, and one target once at the end. In the first case, force lightning begins damaging the second target before the animation from lightning strike finishes. After knocking both down a little bit, you can see lightning strike and shock hit them at once, killing them both at the same instant. Shock fires before the animation from lightning strike finishes. At the end, you'll notice the last target being killed by lightning strike and shock hitting at the same time, despite the animation from lightning strike not having finished with shock does damage:

By contrast, here's how my heals behave:

You'll notice that they are very consistently NOT triggering until the animation completes, in stark contrast with offensive abilities. Given the type of sharp response needed to heal well, this is a major problem.

This video demonstrates how severe the delay on Dark Infusion is. I'm chain casting them on Khem, and as you can see, they don't land until about a second after the cast completes, and even more odd, they don't seem to land until at least half a second after you see the heal animation actually hit him (the little purple cloud):

Clearly, something is way off with the heals here.

Minor message but hope it adds to the pile of pleas for a good fix, healing is definitely broke, i started levelling a scoundrel and your very first heal (underworld medicine) has the exact delay issue you suffer. It's worse with the spammable one! (hammershots, diagnostic scan) having a delay on a minor heal that's meant to patch people up at a free cost? Make's it not worth to cast so your resources are more strained.

Thank you.

And they said they are looking at it and fixing the issue. not sure what the issue is now except people don't want to wait?

I've already posted in this thread but just posting again to reiterate.

Sith Juggernaut

If you're tanking and well, constantly in animation none- the- less due to npcs attacking you. IT IS AMAZINGLY FRUSTRATING HAVING AN ABILITY BLOCKED BECAUSE A PARRY ANIMATION HAS TO PLAY OUT FIRST....What the heck? That is just bogus.

It seems nigh impossible at times to hit a hot key and expect one of these three abilities to work. Retaliation, Force Scream and Smash. ALL VERY IMPORTANT TO TANKING. It' makes an already frustrating threat battle almost unbearable. It's not just those three abilities though. These are just the most noticeable game breaking ones.

I really want to see this game do well. However game play comes first. The stories are great most of the environments are well done. Minus the city worlds, which are just horrible. The flashpoints can be fun. However, simply not being able to use an ability because of a parry animation having to play out?

If this was a straight action mmo. I could possibly understand such a design decision. However it's not. There was never a mentioned selling point of some type of timing based combat. Where you control when to parry and to counter. Right now to even remotely be successful I have to carefully plan when to Smash, Retaliate or Force Scream. Making sure I'm not stuck in an animation. Which at times can be difficult.

I have not even bothered with the nightmare that would be PVP in this game. It is not worth the frustration to even bother with PVP.

It is easy to hop on the WoW hating bandwagon but Blizzard has done a few things very well. Their combat being at the top of that list. Take some notes from the pros please. It baffles me. Bioware isn't the only company to seemingly not even take a nod on how to do certain game mechanics. I've been a long time fan of Bioware, I'm sure I will be in the years to come but Dragon Age 2 was strike 1 and I hope SW:TOR doesn't end up being Strike 2.

Oh and lets not forget the dreaded helmet scenes in Mass Effect 2...Awkward romantic scenes and captain douche bag is kissing the lady with his helmet on...way to go bioware. At least they remembered how to do this for SW:TOR. You know if you have a little cut scene just automatically take the helmet off kinda deal? Sorry slightly off topic but indirectly related to a core problem in game design decisions.

I've noticed a direct correlation to EA and less than desirable results with Bioware. What the hell is it? What is going on behind those doors lol?

are they playing melee or ranged bcz u mostly see it as melee especially in warfronts

We are all Jedi Consulars.

I am a Jedi Shadow Tank, my daughter is a Jedi Shadow DPS, my brother-in-law is a Jedi Sage Healer, and my wife and son are Jedi Sage DPS.

HOWEVER, I have noted a general delay responsiveness in my keyboard after the last Windows 7 update. Not in-game, but when typing. Some keys are not responding as they should be. I have never had this problem until recently, didn't notice it until the last few days.

Its very possible its a keyboard software problem in Windows, and not the game at all. I believe if it were the game, ability responsiveness would be hampered while clicking abilities as well. This has not been the case with our game experience.

Its something to look into as well, at least.

why do you even ask? he said he is clicking abilities rofl. ofc he wont notice the delay cuz they are using abilities like my turtle does.

Yeah, I guess our being so slow due to clicking is why we wipe the other teams in PvP as a group.

Over 10 years of playing this way. Are we the best at PvP? No, never cared to be, but the three of us can wipe a group twice our size in PvP while the rest of the tards on our side run around like moving targets for the other team.

Your turtle comment was fail.

I am a Jedi Shadow Tank, my daughter is a Jedi Shadow DPS, my brother-in-law is a Jedi Sage Healer, and my wife and son are Jedi Sage DPS.

HOWEVER, I have noted a general delay responsiveness in my keyboard after the last Windows 7 update. Not in-game, but when typing. Some keys are not responding as they should be. I have never had this problem until recently, didn't notice it until the last few days.

Its very possible its a keyboard software problem in Windows, and not the game at all. I believe if it were the game, ability responsiveness would be hampered while clicking abilities as well. This has not been the case with our game experience.

not likely seeing as i played the game on both vista and windows 7 as well as played other mmos (because i stopped playing for this exact reason) and have no lag. there are also videos comparing the the wow responsiveness to this games and they running on same computer same os and some of the best specced systems around

I use both hotkeys and click some abilities (since there are too many abilities available). I notice this when both clicking and hotkeys. I used to play WoW and i must say their responsiveness is top of the line, 100% no missfires or ability lag and SWTOR have a long way to go to reach that point. I like this game and i want it so succeed but this issue MUST be fixed otherwise people who are not experiencing this problem will eventually catch on and get tired of it like the rest of us.