Quicker way to exit the game

amdroyd

New Player and may have missed answer, but why does it take forever to exit the game? (shhh...guilty of turning off computer just to get it to stop or hitting CTRL-C over and over) I do have an older gaming computer, but it runs WOW, WOW beta and D3 on it without issues. Do you have any tips on a quicker exit?

New Player and may have missed answer, but why does it take forever to exit the game? (shhh...guilty of turning off computer just to get it to stop or hitting CTRL-C over and over) I do have an older gaming computer, but it runs WOW, WOW beta and D3 on it without issues. Do you have any tips on a quicker exit?

I always exit the game by hitting ALT+ESC and then right clicking on the taskbar icon for SWTOR and selecting 'Close Window'. Much, much faster.

I don't know if it is the same problem but when I exit the game I have a black screen

with the game's mouse pointer in the middle. It takes forever to go back to the desktop.

I always tought it has something to do with caching of textures or game data because it always happens

when I exit the game after going to the fleet and during the "black screen" my hard drive spins a lot. Like the game was unloading all the textures it loaded from the fleet...

I'm not sure if it's because of my computer having only 4 gig of RAM or because I run the game under Windows 8 beta but to exit this "black screen" I hit ALT-TAB and then the the Windows key on my keyboard and I get back to the start screen.

Hope it helped

Dooz

I wish, from the character select screen, I could hit Esc and Enter to exit the game instead of clicking the tiny little box in the bottom left hand corner.

I also wish I could use the up and down arrows and then Enter to log in as a character.

Edited by Dafpants
right != left

I appreciate the reply. It seems to be hanging somehow, even with that sequence.

On slower computers, you may have better luck by first logging out to the character selection screen, then from there selecting "quit game"

Define "slower".

I almost always quit to character selection screen then use exit button and for the last week I had few sec black screen and had to wait till desktop turned on.

I run on i5 intel, 4gb ram, can't remember what gfx card exactly but nVidia for sure, just can't recall spec. Pretty decent build but not high end. What I noticed is that you are required to have pretty fast HDD.

Mine is slow as snail and while game itself runs smooth on quite high settings I have several issues with texture loading. It looks like I enter new area/building and have just textures if they were 800x600. Then they load improved and more complex until they reach destination resolution and quality. I can observe sometimes 3-4 steps before I can see high quality textures.

On the other hand I had an opportunity to play on a bit stronger PC but game was sitting on a SSD. My issues were nonexistent. While other PC parameters were comparable the only real difference was a HDD. And it mattered.

Overall I find SW TOR rather resource devouring and not as smooth in running as WoW... Lots of improvements I'd like to see here.

Well, if it hangs when you go straight to "quit game", then use the "log out, then quit" method. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "slower PC"

I had to do this on my old PC (Q6600, 4GB RAM)

I no longer need to do this on my new PC (i7 IB, SSD, 16G RAM). alt-tabs take less than a second, "quit game" takes 1-2 seconds.

I would be wary of turning off your computer to exit the game. Thats a good way to potentially create corruption in your game files. I recall that they are very fussy about that which can result in having to sit through a long repair or possibly reinstall the game. I could be mistaken.

In general though, it is not a good idea to flip off your computer without a proper shutdown, unless one of your hobbies is reinstalling operating systems ;)

I don't know if it is the same problem but when I exit the game I have a black screen

with the game's mouse pointer in the middle. It takes forever to go back to the desktop.

I always tought it has something to do with caching of textures or game data because it always happens

when I exit the game after going to the fleet and during the "black screen" my hard drive spins a lot. Like the game was unloading all the textures it loaded from the fleet...

I'm not sure if it's because of my computer having only 4 gig of RAM or because I run the game under Windows 8 beta but to exit this "black screen" I hit ALT-TAB and then the the Windows key on my keyboard and I get back to the start screen.

Hope it helped

Dooz

I have the exact same issue.Logging out of my charachter and then selecting quit from the charachter selection screen doesn't help at all.Exact same thing happens as mentioned I have a black screen with the game's mouse pointer in the middle. It takes forever to go back to the desktop.Tried hiting alt+tab,alt+esc,windows key,ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager,nothing speeds up the process.Quite often I have to reset my computer to exit the game,simply because i don't have time to wait that long for the game to exit properly.

As mentioned above, this is how i do 'it' every time:

"It never works for me.... well, maybe once in 50 times it exits correctly. I just hit ctrl-alt-del and shut it down from the task manager..."

~Highgarden