What is your opinion of Galactic Command after the recent changes?

LordArtemis

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else agree with this? If so I will add it to the OP.

The components are legacy bound. You can toss those in the Legacy bank and let them accumulate between all your alts and pull them out on whichever character needs to buy a piece. So theoretically the pieces themselves don't need to be Legacy bound.

And I agree that 2x CXP should be the norm. It's the only time I bother playing characters that need it. Without the 2x events it's no bueno.

Edited by kodrac

Does anyone else agree with this? If so I will add it to the OP.

Yes, I strongly agree. If the unassembled pieces were Legacy bound, it would truly be "alt" friendly. I would really like to see this happen. Not the pieces we get from RNG boxes, just the pieces we earn in Ops. It should not matter what toon I earned them on, the fact that they were earned is what matters to me. I roll with my best equipped toons to help the groups I'm in succeed...asking me to purposefully gimp myself (and the group) in the hopes of upgrading is silly.

And I agree with kodrac...2x CXP should be the norm. The real grind for better gear doesn't even start until 300...it takes too long and it's not fun. If Bioware finds one box in an hour "exciting", imagine how much fun 2 boxes would be!!!

The components are legacy bound. You can toss those in the Legacy bank and let them accumulate between all your alts and pull them out on whichever character needs to buy a piece. So theoretically the pieces themselves don't need to be Legacy bound.

Incorrect. I'm talking about the Unassembled pieces (i.e. unassembled belt etc). Those you can only get by melting down an existing gold piece (bound to character) which gets you a token (bound to character) that you trade up with some components (legacy) for the next tier of gold (again bound to character).

That middle step should also be bound to legacy so you can better transfer space pieces around. So

Spare 236 (character bound)> unassembled token (legacy) + unassembled components (legacy)> needed 242 (character bound)

instead of

Spare 236 (character bound)> unassembled token (character bound) + unassembled components (legacy)> spare 242 (character bound)>rip mods (ouch, wallet)>legacy shell to needed character.

I'm not even sure you can still trade up if you rip mods from a gold. And even if you could, chances are you'd want to strip them again so you don't lose the legacy piece. Such inconvenient, much cost, not wow.

Incorrect. I'm talking about the Unassembled pieces (i.e. unassembled belt etc). Those you can only get by melting down an existing gold piece (bound to character) which gets you a token (bound to character) that you trade up with some components (legacy) for the next tier of gold (again bound to character).

That middle step should also be bound to legacy so you can better transfer space pieces around. So

Spare 236 (character bound)> unassembled token (legacy) + unassembled components (legacy)> needed 242 (character bound)

instead of

Spare 236 (character bound)> unassembled token (character bound) + unassembled components (legacy)> spare 242 (character bound)>rip mods (ouch, wallet)>legacy shell to needed character.

I'm not even sure you can still trade up if you rip mods from a gold. And even if you could, chances are you'd want to strip them again so you don't lose the legacy piece. Such inconvenient, much cost, not wow.

Nothing wrong with healthy disagreement but...Wow! What you propose would really trivialize the gearing process in my opinion making it way, way too easy. Tux's idea of making it so only Operations Gold drops would be legacy bound might be a compromise, though that would create the annoyance of coding another type of gear.

What you propose, though, would in effect make all Ear Pieces, Implants, Relics, etc., legacy bound. Under your system, alts would be fully geared in virtually no time. There needs to be IMHO some carrot on the end of the stick and not an all you can eat buffet awaiting your alts the moment you hit 70 (to mix food comparisons badly).

I'm gearing up alts (and reciprocally my three mains [1 tank, 1 healer, 1 dps]) just fine under the current system.

With that said, I'm okay with the 2x CP, okay with the 1/3 reduction in costs for gear from UC, though probably not both -- but I truly believe your system would make playing alts boring.

Just my 2 credits,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Nothing wrong with healthy disagreement but...Wow! What you propose would really trivialize the gearing process in my opinion making it way, way too easy. Tux's idea of making it so only Operations Gold drops would be legacy bound might be a compromise, though that would create the annoyance of coding another type of gear.

What you propose, though, would in effect make all Ear Pieces, Implants, Relics, etc., legacy bound. Under your system, alts would be fully geared in virtually no time. There needs to be IMHO some carrot on the end of the stick and not an all you can eat buffet awaiting your alts the moment you hit 70 (to mix food comparisons badly).

I'm gearing up alts (and reciprocally my three mains [1 tank, 1 healer, 1 dps]) just fine under the current system.

With that said, I'm okay with the 2x CP, okay with the 1/3 reduction in costs for gear from UC,, though probably not both -- but I truly believe your system would make playing alts boring.

Just my 2 credits,

Dasty

I'm not trying to argue Dasty, but I do have a question for you...even if I was able to fully outfit my alts the day they hit 70 with 236 or 242 pieces, what difference does that make? Gearing has NEVER been my "end game" activity...gear simply allows me to DO the end game activities I want.

And even if I had full 236/242 gear, I'd STILL want the 248 gear, which I can only get via RNG or trade-ups at prices that blow my freaking mind...seriously...the prices are SO out of whack that they're ludicrous. Just this week I went to upgrade my Sage's 230 saber for a 236, and almost died when I saw it would cost me like 475 unassembled tokens (I think that's what it was)...He's tier 3 and only has like 300 some tokens. I just haven't gotten lucky with my Sage in Ops with loot or with RNG boxes, so I had been looking to upgrade his saber, but holy crap...that would have taken more than he had just for a tier TWO item...out of 4 tiers...for ONE item...I point this out to demonstrate that gearing would STILL take a crap ton of time, even if I could upgrade everything he had once he hit 300.

Again, gear simply allows me to do the things I'd like to do or try, it's not my "end game" activity.

My opinion is the same as always, the story was wrong from the start, having the Empire save the galaxy is just not Star Wars, it is some goody two shoes story. It is like someone who has only ever played republic wrote the empire side of the story and put in a few minor bad deeds to make it seem evil.

The empire storyline ended on Rishi.

Ah ok, I see what you're saying now. Maybe if the costs weren't so steep not having a legacy token wouldn't be so glaring. 500ish UCs for a piece is on the high side. I don't accumulate them as fast as others so I haven't even used any yet.

I'm not trying to argue Dasty, but I do have a question for you...even if I was able to fully outfit my alts the day they hit 70 with 236 or 242 pieces, what difference does that make? Gearing has NEVER been my "end game" activity...gear simply allows me to DO the end game activities I want.

And even if I had full 236/242 gear, I'd STILL want the 248 gear, which I can only get via RNG or trade-ups at prices that blow my freaking mind...seriously...the prices are SO out of whack that they're ludicrous. Just this week I went to upgrade my Sage's 230 saber for a 236, and almost died when I saw it would cost me like 475 unassembled tokens (I think that's what it was)...He's tier 3 and only has like 300 some tokens. I just haven't gotten lucky with my Sage in Ops with loot or with RNG boxes, so I had been looking to upgrade his saber, but holy crap...that would have taken more than he had just for a tier TWO item...out of 4 tiers...for ONE item...I point this out to demonstrate that gearing would STILL take a crap ton of time, even if I could upgrade everything he had once he hit 300.

Again, gear simply allows me to do the things I'd like to do or try, it's not my "end game" activity.

Agreed, and the UC costs would be the balancing factor here. I have one 300 character, another at 292. I've never had more than 1,500 UCs on me at one time and I've disintegrated much more aggressively on my second character. And it wouldn't be as free at it sounds either. Gold drops are still fairly rare, you still need to grind a lot of crates to get them, and get the right one at that, if you're going for a specific piece. Next you have to have the UCs to trade up. Finally, the amount of movement for any one piece would at best be a series of three trade-ups, as you have to melt to get the legacy token and you have to trade up to get the next piece (assuming you can't keep trading 248s for unassembled tokens, I haven't gotten that far).

But, also what TUX said, gear is a means to an end, not the end itself.

TL-DR: I agree with you that costs can and should be adjusted, but absent new content -- I'm not sweating full 248s.

I take your point and agree with what many have said that costs are too high. For me, it is slightly easier because I have several alts who are feeding UCs to my three mains and I'm not solely reliant on generating UCs on a per character basis.

More broadly, we differ slightly perhaps in play styles. Right now, the gearing is the end-game content (mostly, for alts) because -- simply put -- all the current content I'm interested in doing is doable without full BiS. I have enough UC's to fully kit out my three mains in full 248. Instead, I'm happy saving those in the hopes that new content will come out that will require or at least incentivize me to get full BiS. I prefer to generate more UCs and hope those last couple of pieces drop w/o spending UCs.

Recognize that the above para is a pretty big slam on the game and suggests they need new content badly. But I can complete the current now, so I'm just stocking up UCs for weapons for my alts (first priority), but if some of the slots are 242 - 246, I'm fine with that. I'm not going to get the last couple of pieces of 248 just so I can complete the Op or FP 15 seconds faster.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

TL-DR: I agree with you that costs can and should be adjusted, but absent new content -- I'm not sweating full 248s.

I take your point and agree with what many have said that costs are too high. For me, it is slightly easier because I have several alts who are feeding UCs to my three mains and I'm not solely reliant on generating UCs on a per character basis.

More broadly, we differ slightly perhaps in play styles. Right now, the gearing is the end-game content (mostly, for alts) because -- simply put -- all the current content I'm interested in doing is doable without full BiS. I have enough UC's to fully kit out my three mains in full 248. Instead, I'm happy saving those in the hopes that new content will come out that will require or at least incentivize me to get full BiS. I prefer to generate more UCs and hope those last couple of pieces drop w/o spending UCs.

Recognize that the above para is a pretty big slam on the game and suggests they need new content badly. But I can complete the current now, so I'm just stocking up UCs for weapons for my alts (first priority), but if some of the slots are 242 - 246, I'm fine with that. I'm not going to get the last couple of pieces of 248 just so I can complete the Op or FP 15 seconds faster.

Dasty

I'd be very content with a massive price decrease of the UC shells. They doubled them when they added them to activities other than PvP...they could cut them in half and they'd still be high imo...that's how freaking ridiculous I find them right now.

For me, I ran out of patience with them a long time ago regarding GC. I don’t care how much they shine it, to me it is and always will be a cancer and when the game folds it will be the reason I point to for it. That and a dev team deaf to their players.

Just this week I went to upgrade my Sage's 230 saber for a 236, and almost died when I saw it would cost me like 475 unassembled tokens (I think that's what it was)...He's tier 3 and only has like 300 some tokens. I just haven't gotten lucky with my Sage in Ops with loot or with RNG boxes, so I had been looking to upgrade his saber, but holy crap...

Not a solution for everyone but you can buy 246 Mods etc for around 400k each. The difference between 246 and 248 is all but negligible. Sure Augs are going to cost more, and it is long past time we got some craftable Crystals with higher than 136.

That said I agree prices for all the current end-game purchasable gear are ludicrously high - just another grind-slap in the face from Bioware, the company that thinks interminably boring grinds are a substitute for actual content.

All The Best

I am not sure I understand why they raised the prices along with the payout....would it not have made sense just to keep it as it was? Raising the amount AND the prices, all things being equal (assumed) seems to be counter intuitive IMO.

They had to raise the reward rates to make room for disintegration amounts for each tier/quality of gear. They did not want to decrease the price of gear tokens in UCs, so they had to double both to keep it "equal" to the cost per earning potential of the former system, adding only to your earning potential because you could now also disintegrate to earn UCs.

They had to raise the reward rates to make room for disintegration amounts for each tier/quality of gear. They did not want to decrease the price of gear tokens in UCs, so they had to double both to keep it "equal" to the cost per earning potential of the former system, adding only to your earning potential because you could now also disintegrate to earn UCs.

Ah, I see. It seems some folks are still pretty irritated about it despite that reason. I support the idea of raising the overall CXP rate a bit higher.

I am not sure I understand why they raised the prices along with the payout...

To maintain the grind.

In these times of actual content being rarer than hen's teeth The Grind is being used as a proxy for content.

And the end-game gearing system, coupled with a year of nothing but Nerfs, means that we'll have spent 15 months grinding Old Content to get back to where we were before 5.0 went live.

And if that doesn't make Bioware ashamed to call themselves a Game Development Studio it damned well should.

All The Best

And that's the other piece of the puzzle. It's like "I can't wait to get fully geared so I can do _______. *crickets*

Yep.... the old but ever popular "Hurry up and wait" dance that some MMO players insist on playing.

20 years ago.. MMOs were extremely grindy and did not have a lot of organized and progressive end game content, much less any sort of organized method to level off of "class quests". As such.. people took their time and generally played regularly with a clutch of friends or in a guild

Fast forward 20 years.... and everyone is trying to "beat the game nao!" as soon as they install it.. and consume and discard.. while complaining that they are not getting anything new to do. Yet they loudly lament and wonder why MMOs have largely moved away from a subscriber only business model.

Note: I am in no way defending the pace of new content over the last year from Bioware, but I also understand that even if they released a new OP and a clutch of FPs ever month..... players would still over consume and still complain about "nothing to do".

Edited by Andryah

Galactic Command now known as "Activities" which is re-branded existing end-game content made subscriber only using random gear drops as bait killed this game and Battlefront 2017 along with it.

That is not to say CXP or Random Gear Crates cannot work or not be fun. Double the CXP rate at the current rate now. Remove all CXP boosts from drops and vendors. Developers can keep the current gear drop rate and cartel market boosts (accelerators). Everyone wins.

Let the record show the only time during the 5.* era CXP was popular was a bug affecting certain dailies which yielded substantial CXP rewards.

Edited by jimmorrisson

Let the record show the only time during the 5.* era CXP was popular was a bug affecting certain dailies which yielded substantial CXP rewards.

And this is why I have to question whether or not Bioware/EA want SWTOR to succeed. When the CXP Bug was happening the servers were full of players, and players that were paying because CXP is Subscriber Only.

Had Bioware/EA wanted the game to succeed and been half decent at PR Spin they would have said:

"Hey guys we've heard your concerns about CXP being too slow and too grindy, so here's the new rate at which CXP will be awarded - sorry, but it was a late decision and didn't make the Patch Notes".

And they would have had a major PR Success on their hands, we'd have thought they were listening to us and - far more importantly - cared about our opinions and our enjoyment of the game; and were pushing so hard to keep us happy they missed the Patch Notes. This would have been a HUGE Win/Win.

Instead we got:

"Hey guys, we've noticed some in game activities are awarding more CXP than we planned, our coders haven't got a clue why it happened but are going to fix it when they figure out how to, so enjoy it while it lasts, but we are taking it away."

Which makes it look like they don't listen to us, they don't have a clue what their own code is doing, and they don't care whether or not we enjoy the game. OK while it lasted they got some mileage, but the moment CXP fell back to "normal" levels the server populations fell through the floor - again. All in all a Lose/Lose.

All The Best

And this is why I have to question whether or not Bioware/EA want SWTOR to succeed. When the CXP Bug was happening the servers were full of players, and players that were paying because CXP is Subscriber Only.

Had Bioware/EA wanted the game to succeed and been half decent at PR Spin they would have said:

"Hey guys we've heard your concerns about CXP being too slow and too grindy, so here's the new rate at which CXP will be awarded - sorry, but it was a late decision and didn't make the Patch Notes".

And they would have had a major PR Success on their hands, we'd have thought they were listening to us and - far more importantly - cared about our opinions and our enjoyment of the game; and were pushing so hard to keep us happy they missed the Patch Notes. This would have been a HUGE Win/Win.

Instead we got:

"Hey guys, we've noticed some in game activities are awarding more CXP than we planned, our coders haven't got a clue why it happened but are going to fix it when they figure out how to, so enjoy it while it lasts, but we are taking it away."

Which makes it look like they don't listen to us, they don't have a clue what their own code is doing, and they don't care whether or not we enjoy the game. OK while it lasted they got some mileage, but the moment CXP fell back to "normal" levels the server populations fell through the floor - again. All in all a Lose/Lose.

All The Best

Or that wouldve broken the game. I believe they listen to reason, not bullying or guesstimations of success by outsiders with no indication they understand how businesses work. Are there things they could do better? Of course. Do they need to address every minor issue that people seek out? No. If anyone tries hard enough, they can find something wrong with anything. But in order to have a change, there needs to be a reasonable replacement or fix that can be implemented, and most, if not all, of the fixes they see on these forums dont deserve a 2nd glance because they are mostly "we want something for nothing, even if it makes the game worse."

You can second guess every decision they make, but again, you have to look at the alternative. Would you rather them be as open as possible or lie to us about stuff? It seems like most people on these forums prefer they lie to us just so something is communicated. And then they face the wrath of being called liars. Yep, makes sense to me. Not.

Edited by olagatonjedi

I'm not sure if increasing CXP that much would have the intended effect.

And yet it had exactly that effect when it was done by accident.

So where's the issue?

It can't be that it would lead to nothing to do at end-game - the game has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt for the last 18 months.

All The Best