Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Rethink it, it will be a totaly disaster if you allow players to move as they want, if you dont so you say players on server x can move to server y then it is pointlss, start with merging so at least 50% off all server go away then you can allow transfer. Edited by skidrows

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rethink it, it will be a totaly disaster if you allow players to move as they want, if you dont so you say players on server x can move to server y then it is pointlss, start with merging so at least 50% off all server go away then you can allow transfer.

I think it is a good idea that they are letting you do this but it is up to them after all ok.

Seems like the idea by BW for character transfers will be slap to the face to anyone who decided to take initiative and reroll on full server instead of quiting the game and waiting on the dead server for months for BW to open transfers.

Again one of the more flawed decisions on their part which will not make players happy at all because a lot of them wanted to consolidate all their chars on one server.

Seems like the idea by BW for character transfers will be slap to the face to anyone who decided to take initiative and reroll on full server instead of quiting the game and waiting on the dead server for months for BW to open transfers.

Again one of the more flawed decisions on their part which will not make players happy at all because a lot of them wanted to consolidate all their chars on one server.

Well siad that is what most people do at the moment or go on the test server don't they mate.:)

so this basic service took bioware over 6 month to implement. as they stated char transfers are sooooo difficult because: LEGACY i was thinking of some complicated mechanism of merging this stuff. now it gets overwritten. then names, yeah pick a new one, even if theres a level 1 blocking your name and you are max level.

really poor implementation.

and the group finder still cant find cross server? even poorer.

Background: I have 3 x 50's with legacy unlocked on my new server(imp), i have 4 x 50's on my old server(Rep) with the same legacy name but different factions. Each toon is a different class.

My original server i am legacy lvl 34 with alot of the bits and bobs unlocked(ship perks, companion quests etc), i was holding back on buying these on my new server.

I was hoping to merge the legacies come CTS time, but if im not mistaken, you will be picking the server for me to go to?

Can i not just move the characters to that server where i have been playing the last 3 months? Where all my friends and everyone i know that plays this game plays?

Basically all i want to know is this, after urging people to re-roll on another server, you are goin to force them to move to a server where they don't know anyone ?

By making me move to a server when i've had my feet firmly planted on a new server for the last 3 months, you are basically goin to write my toons off, as i do not want to play on two different servers, i want to play on one, i want all legacy put together

I do not want to have to repeat class quests/companion quests, unlock perks etc etc "THAT I HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED."

Edited by Scotland

Server merges would FORCE people to move.

Let's say I am on a medium or low pop server... but I like it. Then BW comes along and says 'hey, we are merging your server with another one. Unfortunately, your names have already been taken and you have to change them, along with your guild name. You have no choice in this matter.'

My response... /unsub.

That can happen whether its a merger or a transfer....

Personally I can't wait for next round of QQ when players suddenly realise that placing all there alts onto one server with their respective Legacy etc... will be beyond their grasp.. until maybe the paid transfer comes in... and this first round will serve to hook players in to subbing long enough so that they can smack them with a nice transfer fee next time round.... maybe even a third round as well...

Been done many times before, hooking us little fishes is easy when there is a strong enough bait out there to tempt us.

I wont be holding my breath.. but maybe they will suprise us all.... Sooooon :D

very siked about this service option..but what about character Account Transfer... my wife has a smuggler on my account can we transfer that character to her account?

No you are not allowed to be on the same account that is agentsthe reals

Gees x34 lvl 50 toons... have you actually sl;ept since launch.. lolz..i see your forum name is Scotland but I am guessing you maybe Chinese by your gaming habits...... or is Scotland really got nothing else to offer in life :D

34? lol

read it again :p and yes im scottish.

Edited by Scotland

Why don't you people try actually reading the blog.

They said the first waves will be restricted, but later transfers will have more freedom.

So instead of stomping your feet and whining, why not wait until next week and see how it goes.

^ this!

Yes, the whine is strong with some people

As far as population numbers, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. I'm not saying there should only be 6 servers total, I'm saying that a lot of servers (maybe between 30-40 of them) should be merged. But instead of doing a traditional merge, where say servers 1-9 go to server 10, servers 11-19 go to server 20, etc., this would be where servers 1-30 are all closed, 5 or 6 new servers are created, and the people of the affected servers get to sign up for one of the new servers in the order in which they joined the game, or give them the option to transfer to an already existing server. The catch being that it couldn't be one of the top 10 populated servers, to avoid them getting over-populated. Of course these numbers aren't exact, without knowing the exact numbers for each server it's hard to know how many servers need to be shut down and how many new ones created. The main point of my plan was that it would allow more people to keep their character and legacy names.

Ah, Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. :o That's a good idea. :)

Many guild leaders have contacted us with their concerns about coordinating their guild members in preparation for the free character transfer service and I wanted to take some time to explain how this process will work.

In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

As we mentioned in our blog, the character transfer service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of origin servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are available in the service. We know everyone is excited for the opportunity to transfer their characters, but it is critical that we do this gradually to ensure both a smooth transfer as well as a great player experience on the destination servers.

Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at http://www.swtor.com/transfer, which will go live on Tuesday. This is to prevent potential server load issues.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice.

We hope that this clarifies any confusion.

And what if a family emergency cropped up or they are on vacation, this is something that we should have had at least a months notice not like 6 days notice.

The initial information is coming on the 12th – they have stated that players will have as long as necessary to transfer off the server if that is what they want.

Also, if i already own a name on the destination server will i be able to xfer a toon and keep that name by deleting one i have there, or how does that work?

Sykotica

That seemed to be what they were suggesting could be done during the APAC transfers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I share ur pain this is the whole reason y i might actually un-sub cause they wont do from PVE to PVP. Stupid move Bioware. Real Stupid. not happy at all i dont care if i have to pay to get my characters moved i just want them moved to my current server which is a PVP and my starting server was a PVE. im tired or re-rolling and dealing with Korriban & DK over and over. getting real boring

There’s nothing wrong with the plans from that point of view. It is not BW’s problem that you now want to play on a different server type than you initially picked. You will just have to wait until the Paid Transfers are rolled out, or just do what everyone else would have to do if transfers were not needed for this game anyway – re-roll. PvP to PvP, etc. should take precedence over anyone wanting to change play mode servers.

All in all, the initial plan is probably the best that could be done – having a free for all will not solve the population problem on the majority of the servers, and forcing server mergers without player choice is just bad. The only issue I have with it is that at this point, the orign/destination servers are 1-1. I have tested out several servers in the past to see if all my current names are available on different servers, and kept running into at least one of them being unavailable. With a 1-1 system, if I am not lucky enough to have all my names available on the destination server, I am pretty much stuck on the origin server until the paid transfers come – I do not want to change any character names. The origin servers should be given a choice of 2-3 destination servers to hopefully alleviate name collisions as much as possible, or the system needs to give precedence to active accounts over inactive accounts in the process.

BJ

The initial information is coming on the 12th – they have stated that players will have as long as necessary to transfer off the server if that is what they want.

That seemed to be what they were suggesting could be done during the APAC transfers.

There’s nothing wrong with the plans from that point of view. It is not BW’s problem that you now want to play on a different server type than you initially picked. You will just have to wait until the Paid Transfers are rolled out, or just do what everyone else would have to do if transfers were not needed for this game anyway – re-roll. PvP to PvP, etc. should take precedence over anyone wanting to change play mode servers.

All in all, the initial plan is probably the best that could be done – having a free for all will not solve the population problem on the majority of the servers, and forcing server mergers without player choice is just bad. The only issue I have with it is that at this point, the orign/destination servers are 1-1. I have tested out several servers in the past to see if all my current names are available on different servers, and kept running into at least one of them being unavailable. With a 1-1 system, if I am not lucky enough to have all my names available on the destination server, I am pretty much stuck on the origin server until the paid transfers come – I do not want to change any character names. The origin servers should be given a choice of 2-3 destination servers to hopefully alleviate name collisions as much as possible, or the system needs to give precedence to active accounts over inactive accounts in the process.

BJ

Hello i am so so sorry can you tell me more about what you mean thank you.:)

On the one hand Im VERY excited that transfers are happening but I'm a little iffy about it based on what we know so far.

I am on a low population server Helm of Graush (PVP) and I rerolled to Canderous Ordo (PVE). So when the time comes for the initial transfers I can only transfer to another PVP (where I have no desire to transfer since my other characters are on a PVE server). So...does this mean that although I am on a low population server I now have to wait until a later phase of the transfer process and possibly pay to transfer to the PVE server where I am now playing? What about the people on HoG who rerolled to The Fatman and want to transfer their other characters there? Do they also have to now wait for a paid transfer?

On the one hand Im VERY excited that transfers are happening but I'm a little iffy about it based on what we know so far.

I am on a low population server Helm of Graush (PVP) and I rerolled to Canderous Ordo (PVE). So when the time comes for the initial transfers I can only transfer to another PVP (where I have no desire to transfer since my other characters are on a PVE server). So...does this mean that although I am on a low population server I now have to wait until a later phase of the transfer process and possibly pay to transfer to the PVE server where I am now playing? What about the people on HoG who rerolled to The Fatman and want to transfer their other characters there? Do they also have to now wait for a paid transfer?

We all can not wait till the come out you will just have to wait till they come out.

Anyone know if you have to move every character or just a few? I mean if you decide to move and you only want to move a few cause your guild decides they don't want too; can you leave one?

I would like to know this as well :)

Please tell me you guys are shutting down a lot of servers, this transfer will be pointless if your just going to spread the population out because the population isn't big enough to fill hundreds of servers, for this to be a viable option and allow the game to progress and increase subscription numbers then many of the servers needs to be merged.

I'm not sure if the infrastructure of the servers are designed that they could turn 10 servers into 1 but use all the server clusters to run that single server without lagging everyone out.

BUT for the survival of the player base, MERGE a lot of the servers and improve the stability and handling of them.

I dont want to be on a server than dies just a month after the first load of transfers!

Once again we have been sold a "magic" bean...

Basically when I started playing I had 2 options, play with a RL friend or play with some of my old WOW friends. I picked the wrong one, and want to transfer to the same server as my WOW friends. I'll check the transfer page after they go live, but the chances of me being able to transfer to the same server as my friends is minimal especially considering i'm on a RPPVP server and they are on a PVE server.

Now if manage my expectations I'm going to have to pay for the transfer which i'm fine with. However this is the quote from your update.

Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee. While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service, we are committed to making improvements to the Character Transfer Service over time to provide players with a great gameplay experience. Stay tuned to http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for more details!"

MAY!?!?!? Surely you have a rough idea how long the main process of server transfers is going to take? It's got to be something along the lines of number of expected transfers divided by maxium capacity of transfers achiveable per day = expected time of the transfer project.

Now i'm doing to use the word WILL & NOT which you lot really need to do more of. If the free transfer does NOT move me to the server my friends are on, and a specific server is transfer is not announced with dates by the time my August subscription is due I WILL NOT renew my subscription as I WILL NOT waste my time on a server which my friends are NOT on. I WILL renew once the feature is available assuming I'm still intrested in the game.

I am worried about the concept of: several origin servers moving to one destination server - because i am on 2 dead servers. One for republic, the other for empire. Since my servers are close together on the list, its possible that I would have to move both (16 chars) to the same destination server, wich of course is not allowed.

Will other destination servers be opened for free transfer later?

What will we do if both our servers are to merge to the same destination server?

Now just the waiting game to find out if my server is getting the ax. If it is, I will personally hunt down and slaughter anyone with my primary's name and my guild's name on my new server. Their spleens shall be mine!

I like your style!

Now just the waiting game to find out if my server is getting the ax. If it is, I will personally hunt down and slaughter anyone with my primary's name and my guild's name on my new server. Their spleens shall be mine!

You and I are on the same page, I like it!