A use for Tionese crystals (and 3 rants on endgame)

So Tionese crystals are useless. More so even than Tionese gear. Why not make a raid-quality Medpac/Stims/Adrenals vendor for the crystals or at least let them be an ingredient for crafting (including biochem)? Use them to pay for repairs?

(feel free to ignore rants)

Rant 1:

For reasons I won’t go into I haven’t been on a raid yet. It’s ridiculous that I’m running around in mainly Culomi gear. I could even get rakata level implants/ear from dailies if I were so inclined. Which is what you get if you routinely clear normal mode ops and occasionally progress through hardmode ops…

It’s a lot harder to get organised with someone running the website, dkp, vent and the other 1001 things it takes to run a successful guild, regularly fielding even 8 of the right classes of competent players for ops, than type “/1 lfg hms”. The raiders should be rewarded.

Rant 2:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the 16 man instances the same ones as the 8 man ones (I’m actually a bit confused about 8/16 normal/hard/nightmare modes) but with, err, more mobs? So an uber hardcore raider won’t see any content or encounters than the casual raider.

For me the fun is in the progression and it is its own reward. However, I believe it should be rewarded over and above that.

Wouldn’t it be better to have had:

• no culomi gear or tokens from 4mans (maybe a T2 drop at the end of BOI, KUS and D7);
  • full culomi in hardmode 8mans / normal 16 mans;
  • some rakata stuff in nightmare 8mans and 16man HM;
  • full rakata only in HM 16man.

I also suggest no Normal Mode option in future 4/8/16 man instances and a 16 man only OPS.

Rant 3:

Is there no better way to combat hyperinflation than ludicrous repair bills and the need buy consumables? No wonder people buy gold: it’s ludicrous to pay for a game and then pay not to have to “play” parts of the game. Grinding daily quests is not fun (for me at least) and takes time I could use in RL. Which brings me back neatly to using crystals for repairs/consumables.

I have the opposite problem.

I hardly ever do hm flashpoints. I think I've completed 5 of them, only repeating Tarel V and Maelstrom a couple of times.

However, I've cleared EV NM 3 times and KP NM twice and started on EV HM. As a result, for very little effort (last EV NM run was 65 minutes for full clear) I am now in full columi gear (minus mainhand) and I in fact have too many tionesse comms and not enough crystals. I have 100ish comms but only 15 crystals.

I was planning on buying tank set (I play DPS normally) just so I can help out more, but I'm struggling with the crystals.

I totally agree. I would love to see a use for Tionese crystals/comms. I ran a good amount of HM FPs and currently doing HM ops. I bought 1 piece of Tionese gear, the shield generator. I have like 200 of each and no real use for them at all. I also don't really have any use for all the columi commendations I have sitting around. I know I can gear my companions out to the teeth, but it would be nice to see something that I can purchase with all these extras. Obviously this is incredibly low on the priority list though.

To answer a few of your question. In my opinion the system is close of beeing perfect. Swtor is casual player friendly. People with a family, a job now have the chance to get equal gear and the 4 man flashpoints are really fun! why would you take away that? there is no good reason the chance a great system. Also its not based on a pure luck system, it rewards the people who work for the gear. Its bad enough that rakata gear is on a pure luck system right now and imo they should put in a rakata commendations, so someone who ran a 16men ops for 1000 times will have his nice shin chest item, but right now you could run it for the next 20 years if you have bad luck you will never get your item and all your friends will never go back to that op cause they already have everything they need in there.

I really dont understand why you would want to go to a pure luck system... makes no sense for me and I am glad that in swtor there is a reason to play 4 man inis and they reward people who run those inis, they reward work and even people with a real life can get nice items.

Thanks for the replies.

@Anstalt

Ahh so that’s where the crystals are the limiting factor; at least now I get the idea. I can even sort of see the logic of trying to encourage a raider to run 4 mans. More likely to pug and foster the community I suppose. That doesn’t get around the fact that you wouldn’t want anything from the tionese vendor anyway. It would be cool if you could repair or buy consumables with your commendations.

@Beron

Gear and endgame content is just a bunch of pixels – it’s only meaningful if you and your friends had to work hard to get it. And by ‘hard’ I don’t mean grinding dailies for 300 hours, rather, overcoming obstacles both in game and logistically. And wiping. A lot.

I’ll soon be a casual raider (2-3 times a week) and as such I want stuff that the complete casual won’t have access to. I also want there to be content/gear which is not available to me, only to a hardcore raider. Gives me something to aim for and makes the things I have achieved meaningful.

So Tionese crystals are useless. More so even than Tionese gear. Why not make a raid-quality Medpac/Stims/Adrenals vendor for the crystals or at least let them be an ingredient for crafting (including biochem)? Use them to pay for repairs?

(feel free to ignore rants)

Rant 1:

For reasons I won’t go into I haven’t been on a raid yet. It’s ridiculous that I’m running around in mainly Culomi gear. I could even get rakata level implants/ear from dailies if I were so inclined. Which is what you get if you routinely clear normal mode ops and occasionally progress through hardmode ops…

It’s a lot harder to get organised with someone running the website, dkp, vent and the other 1001 things it takes to run a successful guild, regularly fielding even 8 of the right classes of competent players for ops, than type “/1 lfg hms”. The raiders should be rewarded.

Rant 2:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the 16 man instances the same ones as the 8 man ones (I’m actually a bit confused about 8/16 normal/hard/nightmare modes) but with, err, more mobs? So an uber hardcore raider won’t see any content or encounters than the casual raider.

For me the fun is in the progression and it is its own reward. However, I believe it should be rewarded over and above that.

Wouldn’t it be better to have had:

• no culomi gear or tokens from 4mans (maybe a T2 drop at the end of BOI, KUS and D7);
  • full culomi in hardmode 8mans / normal 16 mans;
  • some rakata stuff in nightmare 8mans and 16man HM;
  • full rakata only in HM 16man.

I also suggest no Normal Mode option in future 4/8/16 man instances and a 16 man only OPS.

Rant 3:

Is there no better way to combat hyperinflation than ludicrous repair bills and the need buy consumables? No wonder people buy gold: it’s ludicrous to pay for a game and then pay not to have to “play” parts of the game. Grinding daily quests is not fun (for me at least) and takes time I could use in RL. Which brings me back neatly to using crystals for repairs/consumables.

I just spent 1k crystals on gear that i vendored for 15k credits a pop. Problem solved.