An in-depth look at: The Mandalorian Wars

Aurbere

His tactics became far more aggressive as the war went on. A hint to the Darkness that was manifesting inside him. He began to sacrifice more and more people for total victory.

While aggressive tactics are necessary, you can't sacrifice entire worlds for total victory. Revan failed, or didn't try, to comprehend the consequences of his strategy. Revan could have won the war in a far more different way. A way that I have laid out in previous posts.

100% agreed.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make some good points, but I don't think many Jedi began falling to the dark side through the course of the Mandalorian Wars. From what I gather from KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 it was the Battle of Malachor that broke most of the Jedi and turned them to the dark side. And yes, you guessed it, Zez-Kai Ell my favourite of my least favourite Jedi Council supports me on this.

I think it was the events of Malachor and the fanaticism the Revanchists had to their leader and therefore devotion to his new teachings if what led to Jedi falling to the dark side. Revan and Malak where the only ones really affected by the events of the war.

I agree, in the words of Master Ell "Malachor was that crucible."

I think Revan wanted to bring several Jedi over to the Dark Side for his future war, which is why he forced the Mandalorians into a confrontation at Malachor. That's my opinion, but if that was the reason that would be incredibly Sith-like.

But if that isn't the case, then Malachor did to many like it did to Revan and Malak. I believe that every Jedi who fought in the war was affected in some way. Revan and Malak were usually at the front so they would feel the effects more than the others, but for many Malachor was the crucible that led to many falling to the Dark Side.

The thing about Kreia is that she lies, but you can tell what is the truth. There are ways to sort out truths and lies.

That's not really what I meant. Maybe I worded it wrong. She believes everything that she says, lies or no, and forcefully tries to educate people on her views. She believes everything she says, which makes her dangerous.

We also have to remember that the Dark Side twists the views of those it corrupts. Even the greatest of heroes and most devout followers of the Jedi way could become a person that hates everything he once stood for. Revan was finally turned at Malachor, a planet of immense Dark Side energies. The Dark Side presence greatly affected his mind and twisted his will, enhancing the Darkness already manifesting within him.

Is Malachor's Dark Energies the reason for his fall? Yes. I believe that he could have been turned back if he hadn't gone to look for the Sith Empire. Once he found the Star Forge, it became nigh irreversible.

I see your reasoning here (I think). Am a right in saying you believe Kreia was effectively lying/decieving herself? Itn that sense not only would here Deceptions and Manipulations be lies, but her beliefs (or at least most of them) lies also because she has almost convinced herself of their truth. So all we can believe in are her cryptic conundrums! Also I agree with what you say about her falling to the dark side. I sometimes forget that Kreia did fall to the dark side and therefore her views on things could easily have been distorted (but then she never seems quite sith). I don't think we so much have to sift through the lies and the truths, but rather whether its Kreia talking or denial and the dark side. In the case of her theory on Revan, its a bit of both. She's in denial that she's a failed teacher, and her judgement is distorted by the darkside, but at the same time she had evidence to support the fact that Revan wasn't in it for conquest, but preservation. But like Kreia, his judgement had been twisted.

Just a random thought, but what would Kreia's judgement of the Mandalorian Wars be? - say if she replaced Atris as Jedi Historian on the Council (good riddance). And would her judgement change from the perspective of Darth Traya? Personally I believe Kreia would have brought some much needed wisdom into the debate, and spurred the Council into acting on their words, but at the same time she doesn't come across as the foolhardy type who rushes into battle. Lol, she probably find a way of manipulating the Mandalorians to start fighting themselves - that vicious old scow! :D

I agree, in the words of Master Ell "Malachor was that crucible."

I think Revan wanted to bring several Jedi over to the Dark Side for his future war, which is why he forced the Mandalorians into a confrontation at Malachor. That's my opinion, but if that was the reason that would be incredibly Sith-like.

But if that isn't the case, then Malachor did to many like it did to Revan and Malak. I believe that every Jedi who fought in the war was affected in some way. Revan and Malak were usually at the front so they would feel the effects more than the others, but for many Malachor was the crucible that led to many falling to the Dark Side.

Hmmmm, this is food for thought. At what point did Revan decide he had to take over the Republic, and make it stronger? If Malachor was a ploy to turn Jedi to the darkside, Revan must have already had been considering taking the Republic, without knowledge of the True Sith. Or maybe he did have knowledge, Malachor did have signs of the True Sith, and according to Kreia 'paved the way to Korriban' and the True Sith. But then this has been retconned slightly I believe, as apparently he learned this from Mandalore... Or maybe Kreia knew before, and told Revan? There are a hundred questions buzzing around my head! But all I see really, is a rather large plot hole...

I see your reasoning here (I think). Am a right in saying you believe Kreia was effectively lying/decieving herself? Itn that sense not only would here Deceptions and Manipulations be lies, but her beliefs (or at least most of them) lies also because she has almost convinced herself of their truth. So all we can believe in are her cryptic conundrums! Also I agree with what you say about her falling to the dark side. I sometimes forget that Kreia did fall to the dark side and therefore her views on things could easily have been distorted (but then she never seems quite sith). I don't think we so much have to sift through the lies and the truths, but rather whether its Kreia talking or denial and the dark side. In the case of her theory on Revan, its a bit of both. She's in denial that she's a failed teacher, and her judgement is distorted by the darkside, but at the same time she had evidence to support the fact that Revan wasn't in it for conquest, but preservation. But like Kreia, his judgement had been twisted.

Just a random thought, but what would Kreia's judgement of the Mandalorian Wars be? - say if she replaced Atris as Jedi Historian on the Council (good riddance). And would her judgement change from the perspective of Darth Traya? Personally I believe Kreia would have brought some much needed wisdom into the debate, and spurred the Council into acting on their words, but at the same time she doesn't come across as the foolhardy type who rushes into battle. Lol, she probably find a way of manipulating the Mandalorians to start fighting themselves - that vicious old scow! :D

You hit that right on the proverbial Death Star reactor core shaft. She's a complicated character, one of the reasons I like her. I don't like her manipulating me, but she's a good character.

She probably would have done what the Council did at first. But she probably would have gone to war. She condemned the Jedi Council for their inaction ("Apathy is Death" and all that), so it is quite plausible that she would have gone to war if it were her decision.

Either that or give old Mandalore a visit and screw with his head. Manipulative witch! :D

I am going to answer a question ,

Revan was weak to control his emotions , hence why is is a Jedi Knight and not a Master . His fall started when he would not listen anymore to the Council's orders .

He acted without thinking in dragging as many Jedi into the War as possible .

He might have been able to plan out battles but he often was full of Emotion .

He acted quick and swift in all his battles and never looked back to what he did .

The War changed him , his fall was his lack of control . When he had the weapon made , he was already thinking like a Sith in many ways . Knowing he was going to kill Billions of innocents with such a quick idea and little time in thinking it out shows he was finally fallen . When the Weapon went into effect , he was gone . He never looked back , and did not care how many he dragged down with him.

Revan is not a saint

The Jedi Council could do nothing to stop him from going or they would have

Its comes very Clear they knew the War would be the Downfall of many Jedi , no matter how many ways you want to paint it.

The Republic would have be done if not for Revan and the Jedi who followed him , without a Doubt .

Again Revan was not a Jedi Master and did not hold one in high reguards , that was said in both lore and in KotoRII .

To say Revan as a Sithlord was not evil is completely wrong , he infact did many evil deeds .

Again Revan was not Ready to be a Jedi Master , they would have made him one if he was .

Revan could not be stopped , or the Jedi Council would have done so as the did instruct all the Jedi the War was off limits , but he went anyways .

Jedi are all about Morals , when you start to put them aside you are no longer following the things that keep you from being corrupted . Revan was weak to emotions period . Hes not some God or without weakness .

His whole story is about how weak he is to his emotions and how they bring him to doing extreme things .

Believe what you want , this is my take on his story as it was writen . I am not beyond my own Opinion but he was a flawed Jedi who was not ready to be a Master !

Even if he had a Jedi Master with him , he would have still did what he thought was right . I mean what is a Master going to tell him , that the Council couldn't ?

Revan in the end caused more problems that he fixed .

As the Code would say , "There is no emotion , their is peace " and he did not learn that !

Hmmmm, this is food for thought. At what point did Revan decide he had to take over the Republic, and make it stronger? If Malachor was a ploy to turn Jedi to the darkside, Revan must have already had been considering taking the Republic, without knowledge of the True Sith. Or maybe he did have knowledge, Malachor did have signs of the True Sith, and according to Kreia 'paved the way to Korriban' and the True Sith. But then this has been retconned slightly I believe, as apparently he learned this from Mandalore... Or maybe Kreia knew before, and told Revan? There are a hundred questions buzzing around my head! But all I see really, is a rather large plot hole...

Those are questions that I can't answer right now. Very good questions, but I don't know if I have any answers for you. Revan went to war for reasons undefined. We could say the Emperor was the cause for this, but Revan shook the Emperor's mind control so why would he continue to war with the Republic. To strengthen it? the Star Forge could do that easy. It is of my opinion that Revan was still Sith when he shook the Emperor, corrupted by the Star Forge he continued to war with the Republic.

To take control? Perhaps. To strengthen it? The Star Forge had that covered, but it was too dangerous to control. I think the Star Forge's Dark energies corrupted Revan, clouding his "original" intentions. That's my opinion as I don't have all of the info on this particular subject.

You hit that right on the proverbial Death Star reactor core shaft.

*giggle* :D

She probably would have done what the Council did at first. But she probably would have gone to war. She condemned the Jedi Council for their inaction ("Apathy is Death" and all that), so it is quite plausible that she would have gone to war if it were her decision.

Either that or give old Mandalore a visit and screw with his head. Manipulative witch! :D

Indeed, Kreia is such a fun character. Just resparked a whole galaxy of what if Kreia moments, what if she had met Yoda? what if she had met Sidious? What is she had been in charge of the Empire? - love to see these moments.

But on a serious note. Kreia is a key factor in this whole debate. The Council (at least Atris) basically blamed her for the whole disunion in the Order. Revan apparently got his beliefs from her - make you wonder what those teachings were. I expect along the lines of 'survival of the fittest' and not wasting compassion - this was how Revan conducted himself in the war.

I am going to answer a question ,

Revan was weak to control his emotions , hence why is is a Jedi Knight and not a Master . His fall started when he would not listen anymore to the Council's orders .

He acted without thinking in dragging as many Jedi into the War as possible .

He might have been able to plan out battles but he often was full of Emotion .

He acted quick and swift in all his battles and never looked back to what he did .

The War changed him , his fall was his lack of control . When he had the weapon made , he was already thinking like a Sith in many ways . Knowing he was going to kill Billions of innocents with such a quick idea and little time in thinking it out shows he was finally fallen . When the Weapon went into effect , he was gone . He never looked back , and did not care how many he dragged down with him.

Revan is not a saint

The Jedi Council could do nothing to stop him from going or they would have

Its comes very Clear they knew the War would be the Downfall of many Jedi , no matter how many ways you want to paint it.

The Republic would have be done if not for Revan and the Jedi who followed him , without a Doubt .

Again Revan was not a Jedi Master and did not hold one in high reguards , that was said in both lore and in KotoRII .

To say Revan as a Sithlord was not evil is completely wrong , he infact did many evil deeds .

Again Revan was not Ready to be a Jedi Master , they would have made him one if he was .

Revan could not be stopped , or the Jedi Council would have done so as the did instruct all the Jedi the War was off limits , but he went anyways .

Jedi are all about Morals , when you start to put them aside you are no longer following the things that keep you from being corrupted . Revan was weak to emotions period . Hes not some God or without weakness .

His whole story is about how weak he is to his emotions and how they bring him to doing extreme things .

Believe what you want , this is my take on his story as it was writen . I am not beyond my own Opinion but he was a flawed Jedi who was not ready to be a Master !

Even if he had a Jedi Master with him , he would have still did what he thought was right . I mean what is a Master going to tell him , that the Council couldn't ?

Revan in the end caused more problems that he fixed .

As the Code would say , "There is no emotion , their is peace " and he did not learn that !

Indeed, Revan is basically the Anakin Skywalker of his time. But I believe being such a loose cannon, and not a Master, the Council could exercise power of him, like the PT council could exercise power over Anakin. He should have been stopped.

I mean he was trained by Kreia for god's sake, she was not exactly a model Jedi.

Indeed, Kreia is such a fun character. Just resparked a whole galaxy of what if Kreia moments, what if she had met Yoda? what if she had met Sidious? What is she had been in charge of the Empire? - love to see these moments.

But on a serious note. Kreia is a key factor in this whole debate. The Council (at least Atris) basically blamed her for the whole disunion in the Order. Revan apparently got his beliefs from her - make you wonder what those teachings were. I expect along the lines of 'survival of the fittest' and not wasting compassion - this was how Revan conducted himself in the war.

That is probably the truth being there is nothing really said yet other than we know Kreia was kinda touched in the head . Possibly she put some Sith teaching into his head , and maybe that could have been his start to fall . But she did say he did not really keep to anyone Master and often rotated .

To me I think she showed him how to be a free thinker in the lines as Palpatine tried to stress to Anakin in Ep3 that a true master of the Force needed to know both sides !

Those are questions that I can't answer right now. Very good questions, but I don't know if I have any answers for you. Revan went to war for reasons undefined. We could say the Emperor was the cause for this, but Revan shook the Emperor's mind control so why would he continue to war with the Republic. To strengthen it? the Star Forge could do that easy. It is of my opinion that Revan was still Sith when he shook the Emperor, corrupted by the Star Forge he continued to war with the Republic.

To take control? Perhaps. To strengthen it? The Star Forge had that covered, but it was too dangerous to control. I think the Star Forge's Dark energies corrupted Revan, clouding his "original" intentions. That's my opinion as I don't have all of the info on this particular subject.

Indeed, someone really needs to elaborate on this. There as never been a source in Star Wars that gets to the bottom of Revan and get inside his head. In "Revan" he was all "I was Sith, I am Jedi!" so I'm super powerful! Weeeeee! No real answers there :p. Some needs to Q&A this guy, "KREIA, GET IN HERE!" :D

Indeed, Revan is basically the Anakin Skywalker of his time. But I believe being such a loose cannon, and not a Master, the Council could exercise power of him, like the PT council could exercise power over Anakin. He should have been stopped.

I mean he was trained by Kreia for god's sake, she was not exactly a model Jedi.

True but we know nothing of Revan's skill or power , nothing is really canon . We have no clue what his Lightsaber form is or how many , or what Abilities he used as a Jedi .

We know Revan could win fights with a lightsaber

We know he could handle Lightsaber Fights with other Jedi

We know he was powerful enough to break away from being a puppet of the Emperor

But really what Abilities do we really know he can do . I mean its still speculation on what he did at the end of Foundry .

We know he was very Charismatic and could get alot of Jedi to follow him , including masters .

We know Anakin was well versed in many Forms and was very fast in combat and quick to jump in a fight .

Maybe there could have been a Obi-Wan to Revan but again nothing is stated on this . I would believe that the Council forbidding the War would have done something if they could , but that is just my Opinion.

Edited by mefit

What if Kreia met Yoda? I don't think Yoda would really care what she has to say. Yoda isn't easily manipulated. In Dark Rendezvous, Dooku tells Yoda what the Dark Side can give him, but Yoda just said he had no need for what Dooku promised. Power? got that. Wealth? No need. Safety? Yoda was never safe. Yoda was very devout, but it would be fun to see the look on Kreia's face when he taps her with his stick. :D

Kreia and Sidious? The manipulative witch and the original manipulator? I think Sidious would have a thing or two to teach her. I'm sure a bridge could be formed between them, if they don't stab each other in the back first. :D

Anyway, off-topic I know.

I think the Council blamed Kreia for Revan's fall. Her teachings (and manipulations) really impacted Revan. If you go back far enough, you could blame Kreia for the JCW.

Side-note: I like the what-ifs with Kreia. She's a fun character that could impact a lot of scenarios, just because she manipulates everything that moves. I mean look at beast mind trick in KOTOR 2! What did that poor Boma do to her? :D

That is probably the truth being there is nothing really said yet other than we know Kreia was kinda touched in the head . Possibly she put some Sith teaching into his head , and maybe that could have been his start to fall . But she did say he did not really keep to anyone Master and often rotated .

To me I think she showed him how to be a free thinker in the lines as Palpatine tried to stress to Anakin in Ep3 that a true master of the Force needed to know both sides !

Exactly, "touched in the head" are the wrong words. But unlike Jedi, she hated adhering to one code and devoting yourself to one teaching. Jedi & Kreia simply didn't go together. To be a Jedi you have to be devoted, you have to avoid certain knowledge, you have to have faith in the Force. Kreia had none of that, and Revan not much more.

What if Kreia met Yoda? I don't think Yoda would really care what she has to say. Yoda isn't easily manipulated. In Dark Rendezvous, Dooku tells Yoda what the Dark Side can give him, but Yoda just said he had no need for what Dooku promised. Power? got that. Wealth? No need. Safety? Yoda was never safe. Yoda was very devout, but it would be fun to see the look on Kreia's face when he taps her with his stick. :D

All I can say is they would have a chat, a long long chat. I can almost see it now, Kreia and Yoda perched on rocks amongst the vines and marshes of Dagobah... I have a funny feeling they'd get on :p Kreia likes smart people.

Side-note: I like the what-ifs with Kreia. She's a fun character that could impact a lot of scenarios, just because she manipulates everything that moves. I mean look at beast mind trick in KOTOR 2! What did that poor Boma do to her? :D

She's a human wrecker ball, a troublemaker. Every where she goes she starts questioning people and their beliefs and then they get angry and she messes them about. Hence why she got kicked out of pretty much all the clubs, Jedi, Sith, the Ebon Hawk... did she ever make any friends?

Option 2 was if the Jedi completely abstained from the war. Not fighting no matter what, even going so far as fleeing the Mandalorians.

The Republic would have lost without the Jedi. When Revan brought the Jedi into the war, Republic recruitment skyrocketed. Morale went through the roof. If Option 2 occurred, the Republic would have lost, eventually. The Mandalorians were employing a brilliant strategy that allowed Mandalore to play the Republic like an instrument.

The recruitment skyrocketed because Revan gave them new hope. But I think if the Mandalorians would have taken a World like Corellia or Alderaan, the recruitment also would have skyrocketed out of desperation. The Empire did underestimate how willing Republic citizens are to fight for their freedom and I think the Mandalorians would have done the same.

Let me ask you all a few questions.

Do you feel Revan was right to go to war?

Do you think his actions during the war were right?

No. But doing nothing would have been wrong too. He had to choose between two evils.

No, definitly not. He became worse and worse during the war.

All I can say is they would have a chat, a long long chat. I can almost see it now, Kreia and Yoda perched on rocks amongst the vines and marshes of Dagobah... I have a funny feeling they'd get on :p Kreia likes smart people.

She's a human wrecker ball, a troublemaker. Every where she goes she starts questioning people and their beliefs and then they get angry and she messes them about. Hence why she got kicked out of pretty much all the clubs, Jedi, Sith, the Ebon Hawk... did she ever make any friends?

If Kreia tones her Insidious Force belief and manipulations down, I'm sure they could find some common ground. Although I think she might lose it seeing what Yoda eats lol :D

I don't think she made any friends. Even Sion and Nihilus hated her. The Jedi "disapproved" of her teachings. The Ebon Hawk crew rallied against her once her plans came into focus. Being as manipulative as she is, I'm sure she could make friends. She just has to tone down the manipulations.

If Kreia tones her Insidious Force belief and manipulations down, I'm sure they could find some common ground. Although I think she might lose it seeing what Yoda eats lol :D

I don't think she made any friends. Even Sion and Nihilus hated her. The Jedi "disapproved" of her teachings. The Ebon Hawk crew rallied against her once her plans came into focus. Being as manipulative as she is, I'm sure she could make friends. She just has to tone down the manipulations.

Poor Kreia, all she wanted was to be loved! :sul_frown:

The recruitment skyrocketed because Revan gave them new hope. But I think if the Mandalorians would have taken a World like Corellia or Alderaan, the recruitment also would have skyrocketed out of desperation. The Empire did underestimate how willing Republic citizens are to fight for their freedom and I think the Mandalorians would have done the same.

No. But doing nothing would have been wrong too. He had to choose between two evils.

No, definitly not. He became worse and worse during the war.

You are confusing the Mandalorian strategy. They go in, pillage and burn, and take the survivors as slaves or soldiers. And if they can't, they burn it down. The Sith Empire sought conquest, the Mandalorians sought battle and victory.

You are confusing the Mandalorian strategy. They go in, pillage and burn, and take the survivors as slaves or soldiers. And if they can't, they burn it down. The Sith Empire sought conquest, the Mandalorians sought battle and victory.

If that's the case, I would think even more that the Republic would have stopped them in the Core Worlds if they would even try to raid them. You can't destroy city worlds this way (the Mandalorians actually occupied Taris and the Tarisians formed a resistance until the planet was freed by Republic forces).

If that's the case, I would think even more that the Republic would have stopped them in the Core Worlds if they would even try to raid them. You can't destroy city worlds this way (the Mandalorians actually occupied Taris and the Tarisians formed a resistance until the planet was freed by Republic forces).

I think the Republic would resist for quite some time, but by this time the Mandalorians would have heavily outnumbered the Republic (by means of conscription) and would have many more supplies available to them. Once they hit the Core, the Republic would only delay the inevitable. I have no doubt that they would put up a good fight, but they would lose eventually.

I think the Republic would resist for quite some time, but by this time the Mandalorians would have heavily outnumbered the Republic (by means of conscription) and would have many more supplies available to them. Once they hit the Core, the Republic would only delay the inevitable. I have no doubt that they would put up a good fight, but they would lose eventually.

I would disagree. The Mandalorians aren't even a nation - they are a nomadic, barbaric tribe who's culture revolves around war. I can't see them keeping hold of the Core Worlds which would need government and policing - I mean do you think the Mandalorians would be equipped to deal with the Cold War uprising on Coreilla? Even the Empire couldn't handle that. I believe as the war begins to peter out, and the Mandalorians begin encroaching on the core worlds, they would begin to fall apart, fighting each other and fighting insurgencies. And the Republic would eal the killing blow. Ultimately they could not govern a galaxy.

I would disagree. The Mandalorians aren't even a nation - they are a nomadic, barbaric tribe who's culture revolves around war. I can't see them keeping hold of the Core Worlds which would need government and policing - I mean do you think the Mandalorians would be equipped to deal with the Cold War uprising on Coreilla? Even the Empire couldn't handle that. I believe as the war begins to peter out, and the Mandalorians begin encroaching on the core worlds, they would begin to fall apart, fighting each other and fighting insurgencies. And the Republic would eal the killing blow. Ultimately they could not govern a galaxy.

Good point.

I have no doubt that the Mandos could have conquered the Core worlds, but it's unlikely that they could have held on to them.

The Mandalorians have never governed anything they conquered, really. They go in, kill any resistance and recruit the survivors. If they didn't do this, they wouldn't be able to maintain the war effort. They wouldn't even have been able to go to war if they didn't recruit people. The Mandalorian clans had taken a huge hit after the Exar Kun debacle, so they had to recruit in order to effectively maintain the war effort.

They have never been about conquering. They would take over a planet, take what they want and leave. And if they can't take what they want, they bombard the planet. Look at Serocco. They devastated the planet. If the Corellia uprising happened to the Mandalorians, they would have bombarded the planet.

And I don't think the Republic would be able to retake the Core worlds as effectively as you think. By this time, the Mandalorians would have utterly outnumbered the Republic forces and have the Core Worlds surrounded, slowly moving inward. Once the Mandalorians hit the Core, the Republic would be doomed without the Jedi.