[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Do you really think that you can have much better textures without some performance drop if you don't own a high end PC?

Ok here a little wisdom: Texture quality has NOTHING to do with performance drops UNLESS you run out of video memory and we almost ALL have at least a GB of video memory. Ample!!!! Period. Trust me, I mod games since years.

Secondly why cant we have the option?? If you run SWTOR on a toaster switch it off. But just because mainstream has a toaster to play does not mean I need to be punished for having a PC meant for gaming actually. LOL Absurd!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can tell, the 10gbs of data removed from the transition to launch would have little to do with "activating" higher res textures. The fact is, the high res textures appear at odd times, they are available on our HDs, just not at our disposal. As others have stated, it wouldn't really surprise me if our systems are being taxed as if the high res textures are in effect. My performance is far too low for a game of this graphical quality at "med" settings.

Something else that struck me as odd...is anyone else having trouble recognizing the higher res textures in convos? I still feel like they are terrible.

Just so we can get some sort of consensus on what we all are running..

EVGA GTX 560ti @ 1000/2000/2106

i5 750 @ 3.2ghz

4 gb ripjaws

The game looks fine on my machine. Have you updated your drivers?

LOL - it gets tiring explaining this to everyone, so I'm gonna pass this one by. Suffice it to say that there is a difference between a game looking 'fine' and having sharp, clean textures on your character when you zoom in on a decently high resolution (I play at 2560 by 1900.)

buzzing read the thread carefully again and do your own testing in and out of conversations.

geforce gtx 560ti 2gb@285.62

amd phenom x4 955

16gb ram

a wd black

is what i got here. it does not matter what hardware you are on.

wether amd/ati or nvidia. everyone got this issue regardless, because it is this game

and i really would like a statement now. it is simply unacceptable

advertising the game as such without delivering in the end, what has been a standard in the industry since years.

Edited by Ommm

The game looks fine on my machine. Have you updated your drivers?

you know I am a CG artist. When I am working on a project and its in the early vis stage and my mom see's it on her random visits she says wow that looks really good..... when in reality to a cg artist it is a very very rough draft and looks like crap to me.

If fuzzy/blurry textures look fine to you then its you because to the rest of us it isn't really fine.

And when you look at other mmos from the past 3 years theres a glaring difference they are all on a pretty high level of quality graphically compared to swtor.

buzzing read the thread carefull again and do your own testing, pls.

gainward phantom geforce gtx 560ti 2gb@285.62

amd phenom x4 955

16gb ram

wd black

is what i got here.

btw it does not matter what hardware you are on.

wether amd/ati or nvidia.

everyone got this issue regardless.

Really doesn't surprise me that there is little fluctuation in performance from either side of the gpu aisle. Seems to me that in this particular case(which is actually quite rare) that the game is the culprit, and waiting on BW is all we can do.

I must admit, the lack of AA is frustrating me a tiny bit more than the lower textures. Simply because my brain tells me to go into the graphics options and check to see if I have AA enabled. I suppose it's a gut reaction since the last time I was without an option for AA was long before I had the system to run it.

you know I am a CG artist. When I am working on a project and its in the early vis stage and my mom see's it on her random visits she says wow that looks really good..... when in reality to a cg artist it is a very very rough draft and looks like crap to me.

If fuzzy/blurry textures look fine to you then its you because to the rest of us it isn't really fine.

And when you look at other mmos from the past 3 years theres a glaring difference they are all on a pretty high level of quality graphically compared to swtor.

Agreed. They were extremely short sighted in the sevolpment planning. The art style is not my favorite but it is passable if there is high res textures and AA right now its not even on a 2008 scale

I must admit, the lack of AA is frustrating me a tiny bit more

In that case i got good news. You can simply turn it on via the ini. If you got ATI force it via the driver instead.

Edited by Ommm

My beef is during one of the weekend betas I jacked all the setting to see how good it would look and decided to invest a couple hundred dollars in a new video card. I mean, I've waited years for this game and followed it religiously why wouldn't I take the steps to play it in all it's graphical glory.

Then it releases and it doesn't look as good as it did in beta...after I upgraded. Kind of a kick in the tauntauns.

I'm sure they will be implemented at some point but damn man a least respond to the problem! :jawa_mad:

In that case i got good news. You can simply turn it on via the ini. If you got an ATI force it via the driver.

My first reaction after booting the game up was to swiftly exit and try to force the AA through the Nvidia Control Panel before I vomited on my keyboard from the vertigo-inducing horror that BW calls it's "launch-ready product". Didn't seem to make a difference.

My first reaction after booting the game up was to swiftly exit and try to force the AA through the Nvidia Control Panel before I vomited on my keyboard from the vertigo-inducing horror that BW calls it's "launch-ready product". Didn't seem to make a difference.

Im pretty sure AA works for me just via the ini. Not an expert by any means, but i know there are diffrent modes for AA. Might be the specific mode forced via the driver is not compatible.

Edited by Ommm

Really doesn't surprise me that there is little fluctuation in performance from either side of the gpu aisle. Seems to me that in this particular case(which is actually quite rare) that the game is the culprit, and waiting on BW is all we can do.

I must admit, the lack of AA is frustrating me a tiny bit more than the lower textures. Simply because my brain tells me to go into the graphics options and check to see if I have AA enabled. I suppose it's a gut reaction since the last time I was without an option for AA was long before I had the system to run it.

If you want AA you can easily force it in the INI file. I have been running AA x16 since launch day, makes the game look amazing.