Spec Improvement: Revising Shared Trees

RogueDiplomacy

So, adding new classes to the game would probably be far more costly to produce than they're worth.

However, I do think there's some opportunity to improve the variety of play currently available. I believe we could achieve some rather interesting results if we saw wholesale improvement of the third tree in each class.

Right now, that third shared tree has a tendency to be... okay... in each class. Some people can use it to great effect, but from messing around with a couple and reading guides on others, it seems they all share the same fundamental problems of:

1) Not having enough fun abilities until late in leveling.

2) A tendency to be lower in PvE DPS and/or PVP utility.

I guess what I'm asking is this: are those third hybrid trees in each spec actually worth keeping? I have a feeling that the fact that they're shared between both advanced classes of a base class might actually be what's holding them back.

It'd be a significant change, but it might grant more "class" like options without requiring a complete overhaul of so many other game systems.

Don't want to be rude or anything, but I'd say the shared trees tend to be the classes' best dps trees atm:

Marauder: Rage (arguably the best PvP choice now and viable in PvE as well)

Jugg: Rage (completely superiour for PvP, and I think PvE viable as well)

Sniper: Lethality (completely viable for both)

Operative: only exception, but there aren't many dps ops anyway.

Merc: Arsenal for PvE, Pyro for PvP.

PowerT: as a rule of thumb, Pyro all the way (AP has some niches in PvP, especially Huttball)

Sorc: Madness can work for PvE, Hybrid (or Madness, though less common) for PvP - heal/bubble Hybrid doesn't count as it's a heal/support build first

***: Madness is perfectly viable for both PvE and PvP, and is more Hybrid friendly than Deception as well.

Edited by Diplomaticus

• 2 weeks later...
Don't want to be rude or anything, but I'd say the shared trees tend to be the classes' best dps trees atm:

Marauder: Rage (arguably the best PvP choice now and viable in PvE as well)

Jugg: Rage (completely superiour for PvP, and I think PvE viable as well)

Sniper: Lethality (completely viable for both)

Operative: only exception, but there aren't many dps ops anyway.

Merc: Arsenal for PvE, Pyro for PvP.

PowerT: as a rule of thumb, Pyro all the way (AP has some niches in PvP, especially Huttball)

Sorc: Madness can work for PvE, Hybrid (or Madness, though less common) for PvP - heal/bubble Hybrid doesn't count as it's a heal/support build first

***: Madness is perfectly viable for both PvE and PvP, and is more Hybrid friendly than Deception as well.

Agree in part, while rage/focus needs no attention and is viable for both, there are flaws within some of the others, though I would say none are any worse then can he seen in non shared--

Lethality: resource usage on a sniper and awkwardness of ranged/melee hybridism for an operative (needing melee for upper hand procs)

Madness-- decent but a bit resource hungry in pve and cleanse-vulnerable in pvp

Pyro- I'm a good place for pts still but could use something to add a tick of mobility to mercs