Server Consolidation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would humbly ask that we be allowed the option to change all of our character names if we are being forced to change one or more character names. In come cases people's character names have a certain theme going with the legacy name.

When I checked on the test high cap server I saw that I would have to rename the character that that was the basis for my legacy name and all my other characters names. If I have to do that I would like at least the option of starting fresh. It's not a huge deal, but it would take some of the sting off.

"We are aware of how important character names are to our players and so we have taken a number of factors into consideration where naming conflicts occur as a result of consolidations."

I'm very curious to know exactly what the "number of factors" they considered were. I have had my characters since the morning of December 13th and was forced to rename several of them.

Edited by TommyZ

Honestly I don't blame them. This was a bandage that needed to be ripped off as quickly as possible so we can get past it and move on. This forum community has proven itself incapable of taking bad news in anything resembling a calm manner no matter what approach they take, so they might as well do it quick.

Does it suck? Sure. Will it cost some subs? Probably a few. Was it necessary? Absolutely.

Note that I say this as someone quite likely to lose 2 of my three favorite names, since both were created after I finished (slowly) leveling my main to 50. So despite being an active subscriber since day 1 of early access, those toons were most likely created after the people who own them on other servers. I also stand to lose at least two others, but I don't care so much about them.

If they knew this was coming they should have been proactive. They should have known that merging all of these servers, and not just the ones that have been locked, but servers that were free transfer destinations like Canderous Ordo, would result in monumental naming problems. My names are by and large creative, but I stand to lose the bulk of them in this transfer. Especially if age of character plays no role.

What they should have done, was revamp the naming system first. Decouple surnames from the Legacy system, and then make it so that character only needed a unique first and surname combination rather than a unique first name.

I would humbly ask that we be allowed the option to change all of our character names if we are being forced to change one or more character names. In come cases people's character names have a certain theme going with the legacy name.

When I checked on the test high cap server I saw that I would have to rename the character that that was the basis for my legacy name and all my other characters names. If I have to do that I would like at least the option of starting fresh. It's not a huge deal, but it would take some of the sting off.

This is exactly my issue.

This isn't fair.

Not only because the servers were doing fine and there's no need for further server merges, but some of these servers are merging down. For example, Corellian Run has been the highest PVE East Coast population and yet we are moving to the Shadow Lands.

And that was the only PVE server name I liked too v-v

I very much dislike all of the names of the servers I've been forced to: Corellian Run, Shadowlands, Canderous Ordo, and now Jedi Covenant. I actually hate Jedi Covenant the most because I'm mainly an Empire player (I can't stand playing the Republic side) and I enjoyed playing on servers that reflected the Empire in name (Kaas City, Darth Bandon, Sith Meditation Sphere). People might say this is silly but it's no more silly than being attached to your character name/Legacy name. As for character names, since I use the same names across any server I play on, and I have characters already on Corelilan Run and Shadowlands....I'm losing my names to myself. hehe

This isn't fair.

Not only because the servers were doing fine and there's no need for further server merges, but some of these servers are merging down. For example, Corellian Run has been the highest PVE East Coast population and yet we are moving to the Shadow Lands.

And that was the only PVE server name I liked too v-v

Yes I agree. Why is it that the highest population gets moved? That doesn't make much sense to me. I'm sure there is a reason for it.

Can we please get some insight into why certain servers got transfered and others did not?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Earlier this summer we launched the Free Character Transfer Program which offered players the option to transfer their characters from specific origin servers to selected destination servers. Following the success of the Free Character Transfer Program, and after closely monitoring server populations, we have now taken the next step in our on-going server population balancing process. We have upgraded destination servers in order to support a significantly higher number of players. As of tomorrow, all characters on origin servers will be automatically moved onto the upgraded high population destination servers. By centralizing our player populations on these higher population destination servers, we feel that we can offer our players the best possible Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience.

Read More

Does this mean everybody will have access to 12 character slots starting tomorrow as well?

Edited by Glzmo

Honestly I don't blame them. This was a bandage that needed to be ripped off as quickly as possible so we can get past it and move on. This forum community has proven itself incapable of taking bad news in anything resembling a calm manner no matter what approach they take, so they might as well do it quick.

Does it suck? Sure. Will it cost some subs? Probably a few. Was it necessary? Absolutely.

Note that I say this as someone quite likely to lose 2 of my three favorite names, since both were created after I finished (slowly) leveling my main to 50. So despite being an active subscriber since day 1 of early access, those toons were most likely created after the people who own them on other servers. I also stand to lose at least two others, but I don't care so much about them.

the only thing they get out of this is unhappy customers and alot of people quting they game , i am 1 of them , becouse i just payed for fully month and i want me money back . i dont care if you are world wide company , if you cant deliver whats promised them you ready to talk with my lawyers and i ask everyone else thats unhappy with the "service" they deliver to do the same thing , becouse enough is enough !

Will characters that are already on the destination servers keep their names (character names, not Legacy names) or is there risk of having to rename them as well?

It is unclear, here is what the FAQ says

Will I keep my name when my server is consolidated?

We are aware of how important character names are to our players and so we have taken a number of factors into consideration where naming conflicts occur as a result of consolidations. If it has been determined that your character needs to change their name you will see an exclamation point beside their name on the Character Select screen. When you log in with a character that has been identified as needing to be renamed you will be prompted to rename the appropriate character.

In the High population test server names were granted by age of character (or so it appeared), but that wasn't not a consolidation of existing servers, so it is hard to know how it will work out in the end. Given the huge number of servers being consolidated, names are going to become a scarce commodity.

Edited by Fettered

I know emotions for some are high, and I want to acknowledge your frustration. Possibly having to pick another name for your characters is a rough thing. I know it's gonna happen to me with my characters on Fatman, while my characters on Jedi Covenant are safe this time around as I took the transfer earlier this year there and dealt with that pain then.

HOWEVER, if you like the game or if you want more content, this is a good thing. Less servers to maintain is hundreds of thousands in savings from maintenance, support, and other fixed costs. That money can now be used to meet the 6 week content commitment. You want the money going to new stuff in the game or maintaining hard assets? It also means faster patch times (fewer servers to patch).

Just a thought....doesn't take away the pain of finding a new name but to ME it makes the pain worth it for ME.

This is ridiculous. Why the hell would they force this on us, the destination servers are more than fine, I will be losing all of my names thanks to this stupid move. The destination servers from the previous transfer should not be forced to move.

We are aware of how important character names are to our players and so we have taken a number of factors into consideration where naming conflicts occur as a result of consolidations. If it has been determined that your character needs to change their name you will see an exclamation point beside their name on the Character Select screen.

I'd like to know what these "factors" are. I've had my names (the ones I didn't lose in the previous transfer at least) since EGA. After all this time though it's no surprise they have already been taken on my new destination server. I don't see why those of us who had the name first should be forced to change them. I hope they took this into consideration when they decided to force us all to move.

Edited by Arcadius-Fett