How much will the "new" Flashpoints cost?

Taorus

Sadly, History is not on your side. And I quote.

James Ohlen brags, “It is basically the biggest non-expansion pack piece of content that, I think, any online game has ever released at one time. It is a whole planet. I never heard of that being released, um, except in something like an expansion pack. It shows how much we really care about giving our fans what they have been asking for.”

I agree MMO are games not real life. I am just asking if I am gonna be charged more real money.

Not fullfilling that promise doesn't make them worse than any MMO out there it just brings them on par with them. Had they managed to release Makeb for free it would have been what he said...but honestly... that wasn't going to happen. They release an expanion pack with a quarter of the content and sold it at a quarter of the price... no issue here.

This thread is turning into a dung throwing contest...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're quoting something that stopped having weight long before the release of Makeb. It is a mini expansion whether you like it or not. It's a fact. It is a completely separate issue from your initial question, which also has no weight since it's simply an attack.

I am sorry in your world...Words have no meaning. I'm a simple ole fashion kinda guy, words have meaning and a man's word is his bond. An it is the issue, at one point Makeb was a content patch, then it was not. Flashpoint are free...until they are not. Sad if you think asking for clarification is an attack.

Sadly, History is not on your side. And I quote.

James Ohlen brags, “It is basically the biggest non-expansion pack piece of content that, I think, any online game has ever released at one time. It is a whole planet. I never heard of that being released, um, except in something like an expansion pack. It shows how much we really care about giving our fans what they have been asking for.”

I agree MMO are games not real life. I am just asking if I am gonna be charged more real money.

Interestingly.... MMOs change their business and marketing positions all the time, as the market changes. Example: Trion swore up and down the internet (and arrogantly so IMO) that Rift would never be F2P.... yet this month Rift is now F2P (freemium actually).

As I said in my post you responded to.....Game content very often changes from marketing pitch to live release in MMOs. ESPECIALLY when there is a significant change to the business aspects of operating an MMO profitably. Honestly, if you cannot cope with this reality, you will never be happy with any MMO.

Edited by Andryah

Except this is a quote regarding the 1st qrtly earnings report and EA's stance on what you are trying to argue against

"A: Active subscribers means anyone paying or in their trial period. "

This kind of bothers me, I bought this game 3 weeks before the deadline for "founder" titles, but since my credit card wasn't charged for a "subscription" until a week after the deadline, I never got my founder title. So they really were counting me as a subscriber during that time period huh?

Right I stopped reading at page 9 , seems to be going around and around in circles ( the thread ).

My view is yes they will cost you money , but some of you have already paid for it ( them ) when you bought RotHC , my reason for thinking this way ? Well if the FP's are level 55 then you have to buy the expansion to play them.

Yes the new FP's will cost you the price of $9.99 as a sub or $19.99 as a preferred or F2P player , but you get Makeb in that cost and the ability to reach level 55.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Agreed. You cannot count box sales = subs in MMOs. I have a friend that still has an unopened box for SWTOR on the shelf and has never played the game yet.

LOL! Of course you do...shocking to everyone I'm sure.

Kilora, just give it up. You have the facts. 2.58 million sold, under 500k subs.

If you were to guess, how many of those sales do you think are unopened boxes? Just throw out a %...humor me.

This kind of bothers me, I bought this game 3 weeks before the deadline for "founder" titles, but since my credit card wasn't charged for a "subscription" until a week after the deadline, I never got my founder title. So they really were counting me as a subscriber during that time period huh?

Unfortunately for you yes they were

"The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in."

From this article directly out of there qrtly earnings call

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01

I have read every post in this thread.

Going back to the beginning:

So sometime in August, After nearly a year and a half we may or may not get "new" Flashpoints. With the largest content update ever...Er Pardon, Mini Xpac/DLC we were charged $9.99. An since our "complimentary" Cartel Coins have taken on a mandatory roll. I am curious as to how much the "new" flashpoints will cost.

1. Will the cost be account wide or Server/Legacy?

2. Will it be it be a monthly unlock or a one time sale?

I would have mentioned the "new" pvp content, But October is a little far off?

You are making a lot of incorrect assumptions:

#1 Yes, it was floated at one point that the RotHC content might be free for subscribers. When the release announcement was made, obviously that "might" became "no," and subscribers were charged $10 for the expansion/content patch/whatever you want to call it. Just because they made the decision to charge subscribers for a small expansion does not automatically mean they will charge for every subsequent content patch.

#2 You make the monumental leap that because we were charged for RotHC, an expansion, that EVERY content patch from here on will be charged for. Yes, RotHC was not a big expansion, but when it comes to MMOs it does fit the definition of expansion: new content, new level cap, new abilities. And ALL MMOs charge for expansions, but NONE charge for content patches.

#3 For subscribers, the Cartel Market is nothing more than cosmetic and vanity fluff. Name me one thing that a subscriber HAS to buy off the cartel market in order to play this game to its fullest. And before you say, "the Cathar race," a subscriber can participate in every aspect of this game without ever unlocking the Cathar race. Heck, a subscriber does not even need to play any race other than human and can participate in every aspect of this game. ALL the races are fluff - there is no advantage to playing any one race over another.

#4 In the past when EA/BioWare was going to charge for anything, they have given the player population ample warning and opened it to pre-order. What makes you think now they will spring it on us like some sort of trap? If they intended to charge for 2.3 they would have said so by now, if the ETA release date is accurate.

So to answer your question: How much will they charge? I say BIG FAT ZERO

LOL! Of course you do...shocking to everyone I'm sure.

Kilora, just give it up. You have the facts. 2.58 million sold, under 500k subs.

If you were to guess, how many of those sales do you think are unopened boxes? Just throw out a %...humor me.

Unlike you, I wouldn't begin to assume or throw number out of thin air.

Nor would I begin to assume why any specific amount left, or that they all "left" for the same reason.

Continue talking out of your ***, though. This thread has quickly turned into exactly what the OP wanted, and I'll leave before it gets any worse.

Nor would I begin to assume why any specific amount left, or that they all "left" for the same reason.

Continue talking out of your ***, though. This thread has quickly turned into exactly what the OP wanted, and I'll leave before it gets any worse.

Deflect and leave once proven wrong... Smart move :)

If you'd like to continue lying and being a dick, fine.

Name calling and pretending I'm lying, when I'm the only one giving facts? Nice...you sure know how to debate well Kilora. It probably is best if you just add me to your ignore list. I'm tired of seeing you calling people names.

Deflect and leave once proven wrong... Smart move :)

Oh look! Commenting on other people for no reason.

I wasn't proven wrong. In fact, someone just posted something that proves my point. 2.58 million box sales, yet they reported 1.7 million with active accounts and either purchased subs or credit cards on file.

So, does this mean that almost 1mil left within the first 20-30 days? Give me a break.

In fact, it was you:

"The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in."

From this article directly out of there qrtly earnings call

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01

Or, are you going to tell me that we should count every single boxed sale as an active subscriber who paid for a subscription. Clearly, there is a difference there.

Edited by Kilora

Ah! So...facts, to you, are me talking out of my arse? Huh? You should leave. You have a history of name calling and I'm tired of it.

Oh look! Commenting on other people for no reason.

I wasn't proven wrong. In fact, someone just posted something that proves my point. 2.58 million box sales, yet they reported 1.7 million with active accounts and either purchased subs or credit cards on file.

So, does this mean that almost 1mil left within the first 20-30 days? Give me a break.

2.58 million, as of last week...not the week of launch. Geezus.

I have read every post in this thread.

Going back to the beginning:

You are making a lot of incorrect assumptions:

#1 Yes, it was floated at one point that the RotHC content might be free for subscribers. When the release announcement was made, obviously that "might" became "no," and subscribers were charged $10 for the expansion/content patch/whatever you want to call it. Just because they made the decision to charge subscribers for a small expansion does not automatically mean they will charge for every subsequent content patch.

#2 You make the monumental leap that because we were charged for RotHC, an expansion, that EVERY content patch from here on will be charged for. Yes, RotHC was not a big expansion, but when it comes to MMOs it does fit the definition of expansion: new content, new level cap, new abilities. And ALL MMOs charge for expansions, but NONE charge for content patches.

#3 For subscribers, the Cartel Market is nothing more than cosmetic and vanity fluff. Name me one thing that a subscriber HAS to buy off the cartel market in order to play this game to its fullest. And before you say, "the Cathar race," a subscriber can participate in every aspect of this game without ever unlocking the Cathar race. Heck, a subscriber does not even need to play any race other than human and can participate in every aspect of this game. ALL the races are fluff - there is no advantage to playing any one race over another.

#4 In the past when EA/BioWare was going to charge for anything, they have given the player population ample warning and opened it to pre-order. What makes you think now they will spring it on us like some sort of trap? If they intended to charge for 2.3 they would have said so by now, if the ETA release date is accurate.

So to answer your question: How much will they charge? I say BIG FAT ZERO

So, What you are saying. That if today or tomorrow they announced that it cost 275CC to unlock its Ok?

As such they clearly state that they were counting people who were in there 30 day trial. You were proven wrong. End of story!.

I wasn't wrong, once again.

I wasn't stating they WEREN'T subs -- I was stating that they SHOULDN'T be counted as subs when speaking of people who "left the game because of how bad it was." I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.

Edited by Kilora

I wasn't stating they WEREN'T subs -- I was stating that they SHOULDN'T be counted as subs when speaking of people who "left the game because of how bad it was." I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.

Well my apologies if I misunderstood what you were saying.

So, What you are saying. That if today or tomorrow they announced that it cost 275CC to unlock its Ok?

No, it would not be okay, but until that is announced, I am not getting a grey hair over this matter as I to 99% expect it to be free.

They SHOULD be counted as subs because they WERE! Period! Why they actually left is anyone's guess and it's completely irrelevant.

Back to the OP - I expect anything sightly sizable (FPs, Ops) to be DLC now. The "free content" will continue to be crap.

No, it would not be okay, but until that is announced, I am not getting a grey hair over this matter as I to 99% expect it to be free.

Agreed.

I'm pretty sure Taorus is handling all the grey hairs on the matter. :p

If 2.58million people bought the game and under 500k are left that means 2million decided that this game is not worth subsrcription thats all we can say. Maybe some of them are still playing but as f2p/preferred. Maybe they never installed the game.

Whatever reason they had they decided that the game was not worth the subscription fee. And that is really everything that counts and is the reason why the game went f2p, we have a cartel market and ultimately this thread about fp's and cartel coins.

From that point you can't tell if they think that the game is bad and noone can proofe that as it is a subjective thing anyways. But noone shouldn be that blind and think that this numbers are not saying anything about the success or fail of this game.

I can confirm that you will not be paying an additional charge to get the new Flashpoints. They are a part of the content of Game Update 2.3, which as we have stated in the past, we will not charge for.

-eric

Plural? Could you please confirm they aren't just new "nightmare" modes....