Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

If you have a good buddy you're going to war with and share your stories, and he suddenly wants into your bed that fundamentally changes the relationship towards that character..

This is the only issue I have with SGRs. Prime example? Dragon Age: Awakening & Dragon Age 2. Namely, Anders. He goes from the stereotypical man whore (in every since of the words), banging anything remotely female (as a Marine, I have buddies who come off as celebat priests compared to him), to suddenly wanting in MY skirt without as much as an explanation. Add on his dark & foreboding mode (he used to have more jokes Shale had pigeons wanting to roost on him), and yeah, I'd like an IN-GAME reason. I'm fine with why it was done in RL. In my game world? I want answers. That and how bitter he was if you turned him down.

So yes, if Khem or Xalek decide to have a "sword" fight with me, you can bet I want to know why someone who remotely didn't have a lot to say on anything, suddenly wants to bang me like Animal on a drum. No more than any female I have ever suddenly started to flirt with wants to know in RL. From the people I have known throughout my life, you suddenly just don't change. There's a reason. Generally a lot of complicated ones, but they exist. And as much I would like to say it doesn't matter (there's a post in this thread that says that it shouldn't matter as they, our companions, aren't that deep), they do. They help shape the narrative of your story. For one to suddenly change, I'd like to know why. I get that they wouldn't want to share that in start (it's like that in RL), but I want more than just a bomb shell like that dropping out of no where. Not that there's ever a good time for that conversation, but still. Why now. Why me. I'm not saying I can't keep that secret (it almost cost me my military career in two seperate occasions), it just gives me a lot of questions it's done (like with Anders) and there's nothing else said.

And maybe I should just not say anything; after all, I have been able to enjoy OGR (if I wanted). Those who want SGR haven't. I suppose "taking one for the team" wouldn't be too much to ask for how long it has taken for anything remotely SGR to be added. :rak_01:

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um...him being possessed by Justice, and hounded by templars before ending up in that hell hole known as Kirkwall isn't an explanation? :rolleyes: If he *hadn't* changed after that I'd be wondering *** is going on.

And believe it or not he might just not have been attracted to the Warden. He acts like he/she is more of a father/mother figure to him anyway. (even to the femwarden who can bluntly ask him if he's attracted his reaction is "I love you...just not in *that* way".)

Edited by Raynezazki

I haven't played the add on to Dragon Age II through, but I didn't have the impression that Anders did try to seriously hit on my female Warden, or on my LI, Leliana...

And unfortunately I cannot finish it now, because I had the Mac version and I am not using a Mac anymore.

EDIT: I meant the extension to Dragon Age: Origins of course. Dragon Age II is distributed via Origin and it doesn't matter whether you bought the Mac or Windows version.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

I am not going to derail the thread further; I only mentioned Anders as I do not want the companions in Star Wars: The Old Republic to suffer the same fate.

When you first meet Anders, saying he wants to bang every female in and out Kirkwell (heck the whole game) doesn't begin to describe it. I understand that being possessed by Justice, and constantly hounded by Templars is atrocious. I couldn't imagine any of that. That said, that warrants a change in female to male? I know it (and this) are video games. But come on, man; I need more than what I got. In regards to DA2, you can't miss Anders hitting on you..

I won't mind Andros & Gault making a pass. Problem lies in you have history (even if they aren't all that deep & thought out), and I don't want to be forced. Hell, Gault could even say "In order to duck every single bounty hunter looking to make a name for them self, I *HAD* to be a ladies man; when in fact, I don't like them at all.". I'd get that. Hell, my bounty hunter would give him props. Doesn't mean he'd be one, but he'd get it. Of course, that would be said with Gault's own unique way with humor (example: stealing millions of credits from moisture farmers was a riot; had to go DS for that).

It really comes down to I wanted being handled in a way that is true to the character. Beyond that, I truly don't care; I'm 99% positive SGR will be just as fulfilling as OGR. Though, Ashara humming the Imperial March is one of the coolest scenes in all of SWTOR (right behind my BH pretending to do a Jedi Mind trick lmao).

I am not going to derail the thread further; I only mentioned Anders as I do not want the companions in Star Wars: The Old Republic to suffer the same fate.

When you first meet Anders, saying he wants to bang every female in and out Kirkwell (heck the whole game) doesn't begin to describe it. I understand that being possessed by Justice, and constantly hounded by Templars is atrocious. I couldn't imagine any of that. That said, that warrants a change in female to male? I know it (and this) are video games. But come on, man; I need more than what I got. In regards to DA2, you can't miss Anders hitting on you..

You know, I have a lot to say about Anders, but I'll save it as it will inevitably get this post deleted. Suffice to say that Anders pinged my gaydar in Awakening, and his attachment to Karl in DA2 did not come as a surprise to me. I just wished that he'd been as clear about his involvement with Karl to female Hawkes as he was to male Hawkes. (His boasting about women in Awakening could have been a case of "me thinks he doth protest too much".)

I won't mind Andros & Gault making a pass. Problem lies in you have history (even if they aren't all that deep & thought out), and I don't want to be forced. Hell, Gault could even say "In order to duck every single bounty hunter looking to make a name for them self, I *HAD* to be a ladies man; when in fact, I don't like them at all.". I'd get that. Hell, my bounty hunter would give him props. Doesn't mean he'd be one, but he'd get it. Of course, that would be said with Gault's own unique way with humor (example: stealing millions of credits from moisture farmers was a riot; had to go DS for that).

You're putting Gault into an either/or category. Either he's straight or he's gay. But there's a whole plethora of degrees of Bisexuality between those two extremes.

It really comes down to I wanted being handled in a way that is true to the character. Beyond that, I truly don't care; I'm 99% positive SGR will be just as fulfilling as OGR. Though, Ashara humming the Imperial March is one of the coolest scenes in all of SWTOR (right behind my BH pretending to do a Jedi Mind trick lmao).

None of the companion characters ever come out and blatantly state their sexuality for us (no, not even Kaliyo). We can make guesses based on behaviour but that's about it, and those guesses are about as accurate as trying to pin a tail on a microscopic donkey with a forklift. Bear in mind also that not everyone is honest with themselves about their sexuality - so what they say and do may not actually be a true reflection of their sexuality. The only way we can know any companion character's sexuality for sure is if the writer of that companion came and told us (and even then that may still not be 100% certain, as sometimes even the writer doesn't know everything about their character - writing is a craft that is both planned and spontaneous, and I know I've been caught by surprise by characters before.)

Edited by Zandilar
How on EARTH did I let this post get posted? Correcting grammar/spelling.

You know, I have a lot to say about Anders, but I'll save it as it will enevitably get this post deleted. Suffice to say that Ander's pinged my gaydar in Awakening, and his attachment to Karl in DA2 did not come as a surprise to me. I just wished that he'd been as clear about his involvement with Karl to female Hawkes as he was to male Hawkes. (His boasting about women in Awakening could have been a case of "me thinks he doth protest too much".)

I'll agree - he's gone from his life in an isolated, insular Tower to trying to fit in with Oghren and Nate... it's very possible he's just throwing up bravado.

Using Gault, as an example, is what I feel Gault would do. He's about making money, and staying alive. Some times in that order. Some times not. But that's Gault. Part of why I like him is I *KNOW* he's going to get me into trouble. I understand there's a wide variety between opposite and same, it's just I can picture Gault using it, in one degree or another, for pretty much any nefarious means he could possibly dream up. That's just me, though.

Edit: it's why I'd give anything to pair him up with other companions from other classes, for the simple fact I may not live to see Act 3, but it would be one hell of a ride. And I in regards to Anders just wanting to fit in, I can relate to that in more ways than one. The problem is player speculation is needed. That has been the problem I have had, nothing more.

Edited by jason_ralph

I strongly oppose the inclusion of SGRs to the game.

I am the proud parent of 2 beautiful kids who are getting to the age when they are beginning to get interested in MMOs and gaming in general. Being that so, we are starting to let them play under our supervision.

However, if SGRs are implemented, this is NOT a game they will be playing, ever.

Games are places to have fun, not a way to introduce minors to subjects, like sexuality, which BW, EA or any other company have no business introducing my kids to. That is something that me and my wife will deal with, and we, in no way, shape, or form are interested or trust a gaming company to introduce our kids to.

I love SWTOR, I played the beta, early access and have been a loyal subscriber and supporter of the game consistently without ever letting my subscription lapse. I buy Cartel coins because I feel like I'm supporting the game.

But if SGR are implemented, well, I'll buy my 2 kids WOW accounts instead of SWTOR accounts. And if, which will happen and has happened, SWTOR gets negative press because of the so called "gay planet" I'll have no other option but to move on to other games. I have no interest in BW causing me to have to explain to my kids why their dad is playing THE gay game.

I really don't understand the purpose of this. The reality is that SGRs are being asked by a very vocal but very small minority and from a business perspective makes absolutely no sense since it will only cause bad publicity and alienate a loyal sector of the subscriber base that have no interest whatsoever in homosexuality.

Do you really think this will get you more subscribers? LOL

Edited by Aelrail

I am the proud parent of 2 beautiful kids who are getting to the age when they are beginning to get interested in MMOs and gaming in general. Being that so, we are starting to let them play under our supervision.

However, if SGRs are implemented, this is NOT a game they will be playing, ever.

Games are places to have fun, not a way to introduce minors to subjects, like sexuality

Then your kids would not be playing this game to begin with regardless if SGR were introduced or not. It's also advertised as 16+. You would be irresponsible letting minors play to begin with.

IMHO I don't see any difference in SGR then DGR if you are into it then you are into it if your not then your not. Not sure what everyone is expecting when SGR will be introduced into this game. Expecting massive frap parties of gay women/men dancing around throwing themselves are travelers? Oh dear oh dear oh dear :rolleyes:

Games are places to have fun, not a way to introduce minors to subjects, like sexuality, which BW, EA or any other company have no business introducing my kids to. That is something that me and my wife will deal with, and we, in no way, shape, or form are interested or trust a gaming company to introduce our kids to.

This game does not include sex, only romance. That they will include same gender romances won't change that, you won't be seeing anything more explicit than a kiss. This isn't Dragon Age or Mass Effect. What would worry me most is the quite... liberal use of torture in this game.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

What exactly do you think happens when the PC and companion walk into a room together and there is a fadeout? A game of Magic: The Gathering?

That is subject to your fantasy. The point is: It isn't shown. It's not part of the game. That's how it works in movies as well...

These two statements are not mutually inclusive.

It's not talked about either. You can twist it and turn it as you wish - a mere implication that there is sex behind the curtains doesn't make it be part of the game. On the contrary, it's quite aggressively omitted.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Okay, since this is clearly a semantic argument and we're both saying the same things with different words, let me rephrase my response.

Player characters in the game of SWTOR have sex. That sex is not shown, but it is in the game that some characters, at some points, are having sex. The implication is so strong that it is clear that they are not having a picnic. They are having sex. Star Wars: The Old Republic characters are sexual beings that sometimes have sex.

Whether or not said sex - that the characters at some point in their lives have - is "in the game" is wholly and inarguably irrelevant to anything on this thread.

That's like saying that Harvest Moon characters aren't shown eating so eating is not in the game and irrelevant to a discussion about what food to plant in their farms. The game does not include eating, only food.

If you can't agree with me on this, then we are not of the same species and should just ignore each other on this issue.

Edited by Jeca_Cutrer

Whether or not said sex - that the characters at some point in their lives have - is "in the game" is wholly and inarguably irrelevant to anything on this thread.

For the purpose of protecting children it does make a grave difference. The idea is to not influence their concept of sex before they develop their own. That's why scenes in movies showing explicit sex are higher rated, that's what all the rating is about.

Showing kids hard **** and showing them a scene with a kiss and a camera panning to the fireplace is not the same thing.

No, it's not the same thing, but THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE ARGUING!

You're arguing that if the sex isn't explicitly shown, then it doesn't exist at all. The logical fallacy in this point is so huge I drove a Mack truck through it, backed it back into it, then got a cement truck and pulled that alongside the Mack truck with a good six feet between them.

Keep in mind I'm not even taking a side on the thread topic yet. I'm saying that explicit sex is one thing (And yes, you're right that this is a non issue because it is not, in fact, in the game) but that overtly implying that two characters have a sexual relationship DOES happen and IS relevant to this discussion.

If those fade to black scenes didn't happen I might agree with you, but they DO happen and therefore are IN THE GAME.

Edited by Jeca_Cutrer

You're arguing that if the sex isn't explicitly shown, then it doesn't exist at all. .

I am saying: It's not part of the game. It is subject to your fantasy. How can this be so difficult to understand? Whether or not it "exists" or whether it is part of the game is not the same thing.

In the quote I originally replied to before you replied to me, the parent there seemed to be concerned that the sex on Makeb would be more explicit than elsewhere. In the quote he or she expressed his concern that kids might be shown sexual content. They explicitely stated that it should happen in no way or shape - meaning, the problem isn't homosexuality in particular. All I did say was that it won't exceed the existing level of explicitness.

The whole press about a "gay planet" is inclined to raise that false impression.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

sigh it seems as the expansion gets closer ppl are becoming more vocal agaisnt SGRs... idk why. im so tired of ppl referencing theyre kids in matters like this. i have a child too? why should i care if u can enter a same sex relationship in a game? u can enter a "straight" relationship so wats the difference? honestly makes no sense to me. and ppl keeps saying only a very small minority asks for this which most certainly isnt true. tho im sure had sgrs been included at the get go we probly wouldnt have all this hassle but alas wats done is done. i think after the expansion comes out ppl will finally get over themselves and enjoy the freedom of options. ppl seem to forget this is a bioware game afterall and they love the gays :p

I am saying: It's not part of the game. It is subject to your fantasy. How can this be so difficult to understand?

In the quote I originally replied to before you replied to me, the parent there seemed to be concerned that the sex on Makeb would be more explicit than elsewhere. In the quote he or she expressed his concern that kids might be shown sexual content. They explicitely stated that it should happen in no way or shape - meaning, the problem isn't homosexuality in particular. All I did say was that it won't exceed the existing level of explicitness.

That great big ratings box has a big "T" on it and right next to that "T" is the term "Sexual Themes." Consumers have been forewarned. If they have an issue with that, they should not have bought the game to begin with. If the child is too young (pre-teen) to handle what is being shown, the parent is at fault for purchasing and allowing the child to play. If the child is a teen, believe me, they can handle this content. The content in SWTOR is far more tame than a big number of early primetime sitcoms and dramas.

I am saying: It's not part of the game. It is subject to your fantasy. How can this be so difficult to understand? Whether or not it "exists" or whether it is part of the game is not the same thing.

Okay... clearly there's just a mental block on this point, so I'll let it go.

All I did say was that it won't exceed the existing level of explicitness.

This is true.

What exactly do you think happens when the PC and companion walk into a room together and there is a fadeout? A game of Magic: The Gathering?

With my Jedi knight and Kira, when they fade to black I imagine they're just making out. To me, the "fade to black" doesn't necessarly signify that a sex act is occuring. To me it just signifies that a certain amount of time has passed. The characters never say anything as blatant as "Let's go to your quarters to engage in intercourse!" Instead, they say things like "Let's go have some fun!" It is up to the player to decide what that "fun" entails. My scoundrel, yeah, he's almost certainly playing a game of Smuggle the Gizka. For my jedi knight though, it is just a bit of making out. It all just depends on how you want to play the character.

Edited by Ohamsie
correcting spelling error

With my Jedi knight and Kira, when they fade to black I imagine they're just making out.

Are we really going to keep going with this? Alright, fine then.

To me, the "fade to black" doesn't necessarly signify that a sex act is occuring.

YES IT DOES. The author's intent is blatantly clear. The fact that YOU choose to interpret differently than how it was intended is your prerogative, but it DOESN'T change the author's intent and therefore the inherent meaning of the content.

You can choose to say "The cooks in the restaurant aren't grilling my food. I imagine they're just sprinkling magic cooking dust on it." That does absolutely nothing to change the fact that the cooks ARE in fact grilling the food.

Edited by Jeca_Cutrer

With my Jedi knight and Kira, when they fade to black I imagine they're just making out. To me, the "fade to black" doesn't necessarly signify that a sex act is occuring. To me it just signifies that a certain amount of time has passed. The characters never say anything as blatant as "Let's go to your quarters to engage in intercourse!" Instead, they say things like "Let's go have some fun!" It is up to the player to decide what that "fun" entails. My scoundrel, yeah, he's almost certainly playing a game of Smuggle the Gizka. For my jedi knight though, it is just a bit of making out. It all just depends on how you want to play the character.

^This. Black screen means use your imagination. Whatever that entails. The thing you know is that it is romantic. The details are up to each individual.